Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Cananda
Quote | Reply
Ladies...has anyone done IM Canada? I'm thinking about doing the 2009 race and would like to know about it from women. I hear it is a fantastic race, but challenging. What do you think?? Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cananda [BamaTriGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing it this year for the first time, but have been up there for the last several years in different capacities (last year as a Gatorade rep). I've ridden and run the course on my own time and IT'S AWESOME! You'd be stupid not to do it :)
The Okanagan has to be one of the most beautiful places ever (part of the reason I'm still trying to move up there from Vancouver). Even if you have a bad race, you'll be in an amazing place.

Quote | Reply
Ok, you sold me!!

But I fear the elevation on the bike...how are the hills?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do not fear the elevation. I think people make it out to be harder than it is because they often go out too hard. The start of the course is quite flat so it's really easy to go busting out of there and die when you hit the hills. As long as you are conservative you're fine. Now, this isn't to say the hills are nothing. They are noticeable, but like I said just be conservative at the start. And remember, you get some good downhill time on your way back to town.

So I guess this means we'll be seeing ya in Penticton this year! :D

Last edited by: cuds: Apr 21, 08 15:51
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cananda [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I LOVE hills so I fear them and love them...but I did get worried when I saw the elevation chart. But nothing I couldn't walk up if needed...haha!

And I wish I was doing it this year...I'm pregnant and have 3 months left, so I'm planning to do the 2009 race. My first IM, I'll be 30, and my baby boy will be there at the finish for me. All of those things will get me up the hills!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest, I've never looked at the elevation chart so I don't even know what it says. You won't walk... have faith!
You'll have to be there this year to sign up though.

Quote | Reply
I did Canada in 06 and I think people overreact to the course. There are definate hills in the middle section but just prepare for them. For sure get out there and train on the course, there are lots of training camps come spring. I rode the course about 4 times before the race so I knew when to expect which hill and it helped. I always saw them as landmarks. I can think of 5 good ones that you just need to be prepared for. Richter is long but not as steep as people say it is. Yellow Lake is steep but short. The other three include one in the beginning that is good for waking up your legs, short and kinda steep, one between Richter Pass and Yellow Lake in the "rollers" and one after Yellow Lake that people seem to neglect to mentioen and for me that was mentally toughest because by then I just want off the damn bike. They are all doable but need to be planned for. There is a steep section on the run that kinda sucks but it is in a really beautiful area.

My favorite race of the 2 I've done is Lake Placid. Loved that town! I'm doing CdA this year. I rode the old course and it was really nice and apparently the new one is even prettier.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: jenhs: Apr 21, 08 15:59
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cananda [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read online that there may be some slots open after the on-site registration. If not, my hubby and I are going to do the community slot. We hope that works because we really want to race in Cananda. But if not, then we will probably do the Vineman full.

Is it impossible to get a slot if you're not there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does sell out the day of in-person reg. They talk about online reg, but there's never any slots left for it. The community slots are the way to go if you aren't able to get there for in-person. Just be aware of the dates for them because they seem to go pretty fast too.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. We will check the online site twice a day!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Non-hill climber here and I loved the course. Don't let the elevation chart freak you out too much. Have the correct gearing on your bike (for me a triple) and bulid some good bike strength going into it. I didn't pre-ride or drive the course so it was all new on race day.

I think mdreagernyc and I will be there in 09 as well.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cananda [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! It is good to know what you thought. And yea for 2009!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only IM I've ever done is IMC and I did it in 04, 06, 07 and I'll be back for 08. I am not known as a strong cyclist and I still LOVE the bike course at IMC. There are a few very distinct sections and as you complete each one it's another check off the list.

I'm more of a back of the pack racer with times of 15:38, 15:18, and 14:28 last year so if you're not looking for advice from a speed demon I'd be more than willing to answer any of your questions. (My bike split has dropped by an hour from the first IM to last years IM although the first year I did have a bike technical that ate away at time).

With respect to registration it is be on sight or qualify in a qualifying races. I don't know about charity spots although there have been some. There hasn't been on line registration for a while now.

An IM is challenging by nature but I think so much of what makes it challenging is all in the mind. If I can do an IM anyone who wants to can do one too. I'm still looking for the athletic bone in my body!

Karen

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will love it. It was my first Ironman and I have done it three times so far and I am signed up again for this year. The course is beautiful. The crowds are amazing. The volunteers are so enthusiastic. I am kind of front of the middle of the pack and I am definitely not a hill climber, but they weren't terrible. Just take them in stride, and don't worry about all the guys passing you as you go up Richter. A lot of them will be walking the run course.

If money is no object then come out to the race - you will enjoy it. If it is then community slot - you will spend less all in once you account for travel and hotel etc. And the money goes to a good cause so win - win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it last year as my first ever IM - I've never had such an amazing day in my life!

As someone else has said, the hills aren't as bad as some make them out to be, but be sure to do climbs in your training and try to make it out to ride the course if you can. Living in Vancouver I'm close to a couple of great climbs (Mt. Seymour and Mt. Cypress) which are both harder than anything on the IMC course and I rode those multiple times in my training last year. I walked the big hill on the run on both the way out and the way back and passed quite a few who were running.

The scenery is gorgeous - my favorite part of the ride was the rollers between Richter pass and Keremeos. The crowds are amazing - you'll feel like a Tour de France pro riding up Yellow Lake hill and a rock star running out of T2 and into the finish line. The volunteers are incredible - there are tons of them, they are having a blast, they're super supportive and a good percentage of them have been coming back for years to voluteer - this is their race as much as it is the athletes.

Sigh, kind of wish I was doing it again this year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cananda [GettingBetter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your post! Wish I was doing it this year, but next year will be just as awesome. And I think the charity slot is what way we will go, since we can't get to Canada to sign-up. But you are right, it is a win-win situation!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a charity spot to IM Canada this year. It is only $500. It may be the only way to get into some of these races in the future. The travel to a race is generally more expensive than $500. I will probably try to buy a charity spot for Lake Placid 2009 since online registration is almost obsolete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. I needed to hear the positive side of IMC. I've read all the guys posts about the passes and hills. They had me terrified. I am from Louisiana. We do not have mtns. so I am planning to travel to do a couple of training rides in the mtns. I need all of the advise and inspiration on the hills/mtn passes I can get. I am a mid-packer 13-14hours. Tell me about gearing, wheels, wind and the run course etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent, I'm planning on doing IMC in 09 too, seems like there will lots of us ST chicks! AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cananda [Susan hu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done IMC the last two years. The climbs are not big deals, but then again I live and train in Colorado. You will want as low a gear (27?) as you can possibly get for Richter. Yellow is just a grind and comes late in the bike. Neither climb is too bad, but do try to get in some hill training (or heavy resistance on a trainer if need be). The great news is there are awesome descents!!!

Last year was very windy, picking up after the out-and-back. Very gusty headwind into town. It was not fun, but if you were a faster swimmer than I was you would likely have missed most of it. The run is an out-and-back with some small rollers. Last year that gusty headwind was pretty nasty on the return part of the run.

It is a GREAT race, though, so be excited. You will love it!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Lake Placid in 2002 & Canada in 2003 and thought Canada was definitely the easier of the two all around. Both have beautiful clear lakes for the swim but Canada has a much wider start area so much less jockeying for position. The bike climbs in Ca were not so bad - really the only thing that makes Yellow Lake Pass tough is that it comes around mile 100. I can't comment on the run since I did it the year of the forrest fires so we did 3 loops in town.

In any event, IMCa is amazing. The area is beautiful and the residents totally support the race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cananda [janiceb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too am going to IMC this year as a volunteer so I can sign up for 2009. Did IMCDA in 2007 and this will be my second IM. Living in Texas, I don't really have access to a lot of hills. I plan to spend lots of time on my computrainer to make up for it and go to the Texas Hill Country a few times. I hear that Penticton is much like CDA in that the whole town gets into the race. I have to admit that I have been to IMAZ and IMFL and neither lived up to the crowds and hoopla of CDA. I'm expecting Canada to surpass! Hope I'm not disappointed.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cananda [Tessy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have to admit that I have been to IMAZ and IMFL and neither lived up to the crowds and hoopla of CDA. I'm expecting Canada to surpass! Hope I'm not disappointed.
You wil NOT be disappointed!! The crowds are incredible.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cananda [YVR K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karen,

I am going to PM you a couple of questions -- you can choose whether you want to answer it here or in PM. Thanks for sharing your info :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cananda [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check your PM. I hope I was able to give you the information you requested. Karen

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply

Prev Next