Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM 70.3 in Lubbock Tips?
Quote | Reply
Hello All...

Has anyone here raced the Buffalo Springs Lake 70.3? It will be my first 70.3 and will be traveling from out of state. Do you have any tips about the course and the town?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 in Lubbock Tips? [PioneerGal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done the race 2X and will be there next year as well.

Contact Marty Greer, RD extraordinaire and she will be able to answer any and all specific questions about the race, where to stay, etc.

The course is usually hot and flat, except where it isn't! It reminds me of riding and running a miniature Grand Canyon, in that the course is pancake-flat, until you reach the chasm where the lake is and a set of hills at about the half-way mark.

Again, email Marty about specifics. I go back because she puts on a great race that doesn't cost a fortune to attend.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 in Lubbock Tips? [PioneerGal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done the race 3 or 4 times and it's one of my favorites. It's a challenging course in that often it comes with high heat, lots and lots of wind on the bike, and a decent set of hills to keep it interesting. Much of the bike course is flat though. The run is also challenging...some decent hills and its own energy lab...pure sun and a long flat out and back. I almost always stay at the host hotel (Holiday Inn, I believe). The hotel is not overly expensive and extremely convenient to be right at the expo and awards location. Only issue is you need to make reservations there early as they do fill up. Also good to confirm your reservation, as I have seen several people's room reservations disappear at the time of their arrival.
The thing I love about this particular race (besides the challenging course and lack of drafting on the bike), is the people. The race directors (Mike and Marty) are top notch and the people who attend the race are great (i.e. very few cheaters). Many of the great athletes from IM Hawaii in the post-50 AG categories show up there year after year. I think this race is most challenging for the older age groups, as the young crowd tends to stay away (as Lubbock isn't considered much of a destination I suppose).
Well, I've procrastinated for 6 hrs already to start my workout, so I better get rolling. It's tough to get out the door when it's so cold outside!
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 in Lubbock Tips? [Diana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have raced this one 2X. It is a challenging bike/run course and has a few really steep hills. Last year it rained all day and then when it stopped raining it was about 100% humidity. Don't stay at the Holiday Inn race hotel!!!! We stayed there last summer and this terrible, horrible band played until well past 10 pm the night of the post-race dinner. We were really mad...with a long drive the next day (and race fatigue)and this obnoxious band playing we didn't get to sleep until well past 11 pm.Likewise, don't stay at the Ramada Inn either. That hotel was even worse and was filled with white trash partying people.

Aside from the hotel issues we love this race and it is so well supported.

KK
Quote Reply