Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hypertension after Menopause
Quote | Reply
As far back as i can remember before menopause, I consistently had low blood pressure readings; generally less than 110 for systolic and less than 70 for diastolic. Since experiencing menopause over seven years ago, my blood pressure has been creeping up slowly such that it's usually in the hypertension reach when measured at the doctor's office (over 130/80). My bp readings at home are closer to "normal", but certainly not in the low range which it used to be. I'm trying avoid going on medication (I've read the bp threads on the triathlon forums). I'm low weight/bmi, eat predominantly a plant based diet, and run at least 30 miles per week and finish on or near the podium in my AG. I semi-retired from tri's about three years ago. Have any of you noticed such increases in your bp after menopause - not just a slight increase, but an increase from low bp to hypertension levels? My late father was on bp medication, as is my older brother, but neither of them exercised or ate clean as I do.
Quote Reply
Re: Hypertension after Menopause [Thumper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, and I coincidentally just made an appt with my PCP this morning for an overall heart health checkup as a follow-up to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Hypertension after Menopause [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, I had an ECG done recently as part of the comprehensive evaluation to be a living kidney donor. The ECG came back showing "possible anterior infarc, age unrelated." It didn't seem to concern the transplant team, and my osteopath at a followup said she thought it was a function of where the electrodes were placed. Chances are, the genetic predisposition to hypertension might be creeping in, but I'm trying biofeedback and healthy living to try to counter it. If I end up needing medication, I'll go that route but prefer to avoid it for as long as possible. Stress seems to be the biggest factor in my bp readings.
Quote Reply
Re: Hypertension after Menopause [Thumper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blood pressure generally increases after menopause. My sister faced this problem. Her doctor said this increase suggests that shifting hormones related to menopause play a role. I guess only medications can help.
Quote Reply
Re: Hypertension after Menopause [BessYa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never knew about that to be honest. My wife is going through this process now and some days are more difficult than the others.
The only thing i know , her doctor told her to use premarin cream to increase the level of the estrogens and maybe one day we can have our sexual life back again. I know she doesn't feel good at the moment so trying to be supportive.
Last edited by: MitchMcCrown: Apr 25, 22 10:14
Quote Reply