Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week - Jan 14 edition
Quote | Reply
Hi all. I think TC is settling into new routine, new house, new classes, etc. So we'll start and I'm sure she'll jump in when she has time.
Let's hear it. How are you doing?
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week - Jan 14 edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My week wasn't great. I had bronchitis all week. Missed 5 days.

Next week's goals - run 55 ish miles, bike 3-4 times and start swimming.
Also need to get in the weights and the core. I wish there were more time in each day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week I got in 3 rides, one of which was a long-ish outdoor ride, 2 runs, 1 strength training, and no swims because of some free hockey tickets at the last minute (it was go to the game or go swim).

I had some ART done on my leg on Friday. Sunday's run had me re-evaluating my symptoms of pain (had pain in the last 1/2mi of the 4mi run) and I strongly suspect a stress fracture.
Localized pain, pain during impact, this hasn't gone away after 2mo of only running 2x per week, 3mi at a time.
This would be my first stress fracture ever. :(
So unfortunately, I made the decision to start treating it like one.
Running is now on a hiatus. :(

Nutrition was logged and I hit my goals there.

This week's goals: Bike 4-5x, strength train 2x, swim 1-2x
I may look into the local fitness center to do some elliptical or whatnot. They offer a 10 visit pass that seems appealing for when I'm at my work location during the week.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week - Jan 14 edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stuck with my spin class (3 50 min lunchtime workouts - mostly endurance rides and a lot of the time out of the saddle). I'm pretty sure my instructor was a drill instructor in her past life. Turned two of them into bricks, hopping on a treadmill for 5-10 min after.

Watched the Niners game with the couple that is doing Tough Mudder in February with us and drank a bit too much... somehow woke up to a confirmation email that I had signed up for a half marathon in 3 weeks. I've never run further than 10k. What doesn't kill me...

Going to start running on the Tuesdays and Wednesdays when there isn't spin at lunch, and also considering an evening workout. Any votes on yoga or TRX? Both will help me with strength and balance, two of my main weaknesses (I'm as clumsy as a baby giraffe).

Cheers!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Last edited by: Agilecipher: Jan 15, 13 7:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YIKES! Feel better soon (and enjoy some tea with lemon and honey - it will help soothe).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much a win all the way around--4 swims, 6 runs, 2 bikes and planks every day.

Periodically have to battle the blues though, when I look at where I am now vs. where I was in training and racing a year ago. Have to focus instead on where I am today vs. a week ago, two weeks ago....

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:
- run x 6: WIN, with over 100km in the past 2 weeks (51k + 50k, which is decent mileage for me)
- bike x 2: WIN +1 - i even got in a lovely ride to the market and back on saturday!
- swim x 4: WIN, though i'm not swimming well at the moment
- core/strength x 4: WIN

this week's goals:
- run x 6
- bike x 2
- swim x 3
- core/strength x 3 w/focus on mobility & stretching
- foam roll x 1

have a 3 hour trail race on saturday morning - not sure i'm really prepared, but it should be fun regardless! hope it's not -15c again (like it was when i did the same race 2 years ago).

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Hi Womens:)

Pretty good week. I love my new trainer, and it has been a game changer of sorts. Usually, my default is to go for a run. I really think of running as cheap therapy, and that's probably the main reason I've logged so many miles over the years. Unfortunately, I live off a dirt road and our weather has been weird and sloppy. It's freezing at night, but then warms up to a goopy mess during the day. I had this "fantasy" of logging four bricks last week now that I have my trainer dialed in, but the roads just didn't comply.

The first part of the run is on a hill, so there's good drainage; it isn't until the second mile that the road turns into a swamp. I usually have two or three dogs running with me--off lead, as we live in the country--and they're chasing rabbits and squirrels. Every step was a combo of crunching through ice and then getting sucked down into mud. On that muddy stretch each shoe had five to six pounds of mud on it, flying up hitting me in the back of the leg, all the while dodging crazy dogs. It was one of the best leg and stability workouts I've ever done, and gives new meaning to the word "brick". This pic was taken after finishing the last 1.5 miles on gravel which isn't muddy, so a lot of the mud had come off of my shoes by then, but you get the idea :)

OK, I'm done whining now.

I am kind of permanently cold in the winter. I have been going to hot yoga again and that has been an awesome counter to the cold-to-the-core feeling I have most of the time. The days when I can do a run first, and then stretch it out in hot yoga are the best!

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goals last week were to behave since I still have stitches in my left arm and get in 2 runs and 2 rides (against the drs advice). So yes, I had conflicting goals. I comprised and completed 2 run/walks, 1 ride, and 1 yoga class. It was a yoga runners so most of the poses/stretches were done lying down and didn't involve my left arm/hand.

I don't see my Dr till Friday so no "all clear" to get back to normal training till them. However, I did have a friend who is a nurse look at my stitches, confirm they were internal and that the incision looks to be pretty well healed (I am 10 days post surgery). Therefore, I am giving myself a little leeway in terms of training. Goals this week are:

3 rides (and complete the endurance ride on Sunday)
4 runs (easy and short until the stitches come out)
1 strength/yoga workout

In terms of the wrist healing, things are ok. I believe I actually have a bit more ROM than I did before surgery. I should be able to confirm this on Friday when I see the OT. And even if its not greater, it is at least the same. But I do have 1 painful issue. It appears my medial nerve hates me. My thumb, index finger, half my middle finger, and half my palm is numb. I can barely any pressure when I type or hold something. Yet, then area is a constant burning and tingling sensation. The best I can describe it is that my hand feels frozen. You know when its so cold out and your skin starts to tingle and burn. That is what the majority of my left hand feels like all the time. It is so painful. Hopefully the Dr has some advice for me on Friday cause I don't know how much more of this I can take. Ouch!

Hope everyone has a good week!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week - Jan 14 edition [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i actually hopped on my trainer last night after coming in from a cold run just to warm back up - it's right beside my (radiant, wall-mounted) furnace and i didn't bother to turn on a fan. 27c/80f baby!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I do indeed have a new house!!! Roommates are awesome.

I spent a lot of time in the pool last week :-) made the goals of 2 swims, 2 bikes. Only did shoulder exercises once; goal was 2. Did not take a day off from running. I was planning on Sun. off and then the one day I had food issues was Sat. night, so I ran Sun. morning because my need-to-burn-off-the-calories brain kicked in. Bad! Need to keep the running under control. My brain is set on 8 miles being what I want/need to run for the day... I need to adjust that somehow to being OK with, say, 6 miles a day... there is something about the number 8. I can do it in about an hour; it feels like a decent amt of time to get my head in a good place; I don't know. I should journal about why THAT amount. I'm pretty into doing about the same thing each day; I need to be ok with variation (like 6,3,9,5,long,6, off, or something)

GOALS FOR THIS WEEK: take tomorrow off from running; swim 5x (2 done); bike at least 2x; shoulder and hip exercises 2x each.

M - 8 mi run + 5000 yd swim
T - 6 mi run + 5000 yd swim
W - 7.3 mi run + 4500 yd swim
T - 12 mi run + 1 mi walk + 3500 yd swim
F - 8 mi run + 1.3 mi walk + 3500 yd swim
S - 8 mi run + 1 mi walk + 6 mi bike
S - 9 mi run + 20 mi bike

totals: 21,500 yd swim; 26 mi bike; 58.4 mi run

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nad, so sorry to hear about the bronchitis! Sounds like you're ok now?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week - Jan 14 edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I had some ART done on my leg on Friday. Sunday's run had me re-evaluating my symptoms of pain (had pain in the last 1/2mi of the 4mi run) and I strongly suspect a stress fracture.
Localized pain, pain during impact, this hasn't gone away after 2mo of only running 2x per week, 3mi at a time.
This would be my first stress fracture ever. :(
So unfortunately, I made the decision to start treating it like one.
Running is now on a hiatus. :(

I am so sorry. Will you have any diagnostic imaging done? At this point it would likely show up on an x ray, but they can do a bone scan too.
Get plenty of calcium... I like Twin Labs Tri Boron Plus. They make a "bone support" one too but I am wary of that because it is a very high dose of calcium and Ca supplements can be constipating :P the Boron Plus has good bone nutrients in it and has seemed to help.

Many (((((hugs))))).

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week - Jan 14 edition [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
instigator, will the numbness go away? can they do a cortisone shot for the nerve or something?
Continued best wishes for speedy healing.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week - Jan 14 edition [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:

Pretty good week. I love my new trainer, and it has been a game changer of sorts. Usually, my default is to go for a run. I really think of running as cheap therapy, and that's probably the main reason I've logged so many miles over the years. Unfortunately, I live off a dirt road and our weather has been weird and sloppy. It's freezing at night, but then warms up to a goopy mess during the day. I had this "fantasy" of logging four bricks last week now that I have my trainer dialed in, but the roads just didn't comply.

DAYUM - you're putting up with some nasty weather and conditions. Any recommendations on trail running shoes? I have a Tough Mudder coming up in February and won't subject my fave running shoes to that damage.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a good week. I feel like I made a big breakthrough with my running on Friday and Saturday's runs. I was at a pace I haven't run for a very long time and it felt comfortable.

Sunday was a long run that wasn't as successful. I got in 12 miles and the last couple miles I really slowed down and hurt. Talked with coach and she suggested it was pure bonk, not a fitness issue. I've been running without nutrition and I took it too far this time around.

I'm going to try maltodextrine alone and see if that works. I get stomach problems and have to make constant potty stops with most gels and still have yet to nail the mid-distance nutrition. Up to 2 hours and I'm OK but longer than that and I lose it. When I get into my ultra distances I am moving at a lower intensity so solid food works well for me. Higher intensity it doesn't. So, I'm starting simple and will go from there.

Mileage this week: 35

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: Jan 15, 13 11:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!! I'm getting better. I love tea w/ honey and lemon :)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week - Jan 14 edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are my swimming inspiration. I'm joining a new gym, closer to home. I'm hoping this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agilecipher wrote:
luckytotri wrote:

DAYUM - you're putting up with some nasty weather and conditions. Any recommendations on trail running shoes? I have a Tough Mudder coming up in February and won't subject my fave running shoes to that damage.

I don't have any trail shoe recs. I usually just commit a pair of street shoes to the gravel/dirt runs. Here, I just had on some Brooks. I don't even know what style. They're the first pair of Brooks I've had--whatever the guys at the LRS suggested. I'm trying to wean myself off of Asics Kayanos and move to more of a minimalist shoe. I've had 17 pairs of those in a row. It's not going as well as I'd hoped.

Perhaps some of the other Womens have a good trail shoe recommendation?

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you tell me a bit more about the trail conditions you will be running in (muddy, big rocks, gravel, lots of steep hills, lots of roots, water crossing, etc) as well as what road shoes your normally run in, I can give you a couple of recs. I primarily run trails (and trail races) and have tried just about all of the major trail shoes out there. Currently in my rotation are the Brooks Pure Grit, Brooks Cascadia, Hokas, Innov-8, and who knows what else. I love trying new trail shoes.

TC- Not a clue what they will do with my hand pain. I see the Dr on Friday so hopefully he will provide some guidance. Before surgery he said some permanent nerve damage was a risk as my medial nerve has been moved 4 times (and should never be moved) but some what I have going on could just be related to swelling from the surgery putting pressure on the nerve. I had some of this after my last surgery but it was no where near as painful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you like low-drop shoes, take a look at new balance - i've put over 800k on a pair of their first foray into minimalist shoes (the WT100) and recently got a pair of the WT1010 that seem to be agreeing with me. i did do a couple of mud runs in the WT100, but have only run a muddy rail trail with the 1010s so far.

http://www.newbalance.com/...1010,default,pd.html

i have really wide feet and these accommodate them nicely. to give you an idea on foot shape, my favoured road trainers are brooks launch, brooks green silence or k-swiss k-ruuz, and i like zoot's shoes for racing tri.

nad, determination and instigator, hope you all come through faster and better than you expect!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I'm still struggling with the motivation & the headspace. I'm trying to work on me all around this week - just trying to find the "new" place that balances the funk with the positive. I know what's causing part of the funk but I can't get around it for at least another few months. Then maybe there'll be a break in the dam. If I can eat ramen until then it'll be fine. There are definitely positives around - albeit tinged with some stress - moving in with the boyfriend to a new place we're renting, so that's a good thing. Overall, life is good. There's just enough reality & struggle to keep it interesting.

I don't know that I had goals last week. I was on the road all week. I took my suit & shoes with me....& stared at them each day. Didn't work out once. Slacker. Felt disgusting most of the week.

Hit the reset button when I got home (I'm reporting the success early!) and did a meager walk/run treadmill exercise for about 3mi on Saturday and a really tough swim on Sunday (never tell your coach your goals....). Did another "run" on the treadmill last night & hit swim practice for 4k SCY this morning. I travel tomorrow night & Thursday, but will try to hit a late-morning practice tomorrow & run at the hotel tomorrow night. Friday is a morning practice & then more weekend fun. My goal is to keep the ball rolling.

It's not much...but it's a start.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week - Jan 14 edition [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like hitting the reset button worked. Keep at it... and there is Ramen in Maine and in Oregon so it must exist everywhere between the two!!!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week - Jan 14 edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, lots of news from the womens this week.

Instigator--i hope there's a ready solution to the nerve pain, but don't despair if there isn't. I've had a couple of surgeries that caused some initial nerve pain that lasted for several years, but did eventually go away.

AWARE--thinking of you and wishing you the best balancing the ups and downs.

JenSW--have you tried the Accel gels? I've found that the little bit of protein in them really helps me to keep down and my tummy settled.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply

Prev Next