Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sore, very sore.
Goals were to run 5x (yes), Strength train 2x (yes), swim 2x (no, once due to having to work really late one evening), and bike 3x (no, twice. Was just too tired one day).

Running relay race on Saturday. Lots of fun. Had lots of fun.
Haven't checked results yet. They aren't yet online. But it was good. Good weather until right at the end, started to rain. Meant we didn't really hang out afterwards.

CX race on Sunday. Not good. REALLY REALLY ticked off that a guy racer made a totally uncalled-for move and ripped a spoke out of my Zipp 303 tubular.
Here's what happened. About 1/3 of the way through the 2nd lap, I was riding straight on a medium length pavement section. No turns, nothing technical. Group of guys comes by me, since the guys start behind us ladies. Most guys are totally cool passing us, and it's no issue. This booger wasn't all the way ahead of me and swerves abruptly into me - his rear wheel contacts my front, HARD. We had wheel to wheel contact for what seemed to be an extended period of time. I fought to stay upright. I did. After they went away I noticed a wobble as I was riding. I pulled over right after I got to the grass to fix it. Nope. Race over, at least for placing/winning cash. Spoke pulled through the rim. When it happened, I yelled at the guy, of course. Never said anything. I took a long hike to the pit to look to see if husband put the race wheels in the pit. I didn't see them. At that point he was coming along on the course so I asked if if we had pit wheels. He said to take the front of his pit bike. A fellow standing by helped me change my wheel. I finished the course, but dead last and a lap down.

I spoke with the officials afterwards, we think we know who bashed me. The official says they have had problems with this guy all summer, for riding 'squirrley', aggressively, and irresponsibly. I looked around for the kid (16 year old, which I came to find out) but apparently he dropped out of the race and left the race site. Probably a good thing, because I likely have some choice words for him.

If it's a technical section and people collide, no biggie. That happens. Sometimes you can't do anything about it. But it was a STRAIGHT section of PAVEMENT. No reason to have bashed me like that. The pavement section was on a car race track. Plenty wide enough for a peloton.
So I'm kind of mad.

Goals for this week:
Let go of the anger
run 5-6x, with one long run
swim 2x
bike 3x
strength train 2x
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
This week, goal is 6 runs, hopefully up to 9 min by the weekend (dependant on how my back feels). Also, at least 3 core/upper body workouts.

I did 4 runs - one was 8 min & felt really good. I switched a run for a ride on Saturday (it was too nice to not get out). Yesterday was mostly laziness, but also a sore butt muscle from messing around at the park/playground on Saturday. We ran around a ton & did lots of jumping/climbing & I did some upper body stuff on the monkey bars - so I'm calling the week a semi-win.

This week I'm aiming for 5 runs - a bonus if I get 6.

Sorry about your race/bike determination. Sounds like there was no reason for that kind of contact. :(
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job on the runs!!! Definitely you'll get them built up! Just have patience. :-)

Yes, thanks for the condolences. I definitely think there was absolutely no reason for the contact during the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's baaaaalls, determination. I hope karma smacks that fucker upside the head!

Last week's goals:
Swim x 4: WIN
Bike x 3: FAIL. Rode my motorcycle on Sunday instead.
Run x 6: WIN!
Core/strength x 4: WIN

Running was a huge win this week - back up over 50km with a hard 18k trail run on Saturday which I negative split despite not having run over 15km since April. Backed it up with a really strong 10k last night which makes me feel like I might not be a complete idiot for attempting my annual 6-hour trail race at the end of October.

This week's goals:
Swim x 1
Run x 4
Core/strength x 4

My in laws are getting into town this evening and staying until Friday early AM (we'll say our goodbyes Thursday night), so some training may be tough to fit in. I do need to run during the week because I'm off for an ADVENTURE on Friday morning!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
That's baaaaalls, determination. I hope karma smacks that fucker upside the head!

I take back my previous comment & second this one instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ha! I'm just glad my husband had his pit bike in the pit! I didn't want a DNF on my day!

Besides, I figured I had to earn that hard cider waiting for me in the cooler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
run x 5 (already done one), bike x 2 and erg as much as I can bear

Landed up with run x 4, erg x 4, swim x 1, weights x 3. And then we bought one of these so I started off my Monday with leftover cake in the house.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
Quote:
run x 5 (already done one), bike x 2 and erg as much as I can bear

Landed up with run x 4, erg x 4, swim x 1, weights x 3. And then we bought one of these so I started off my Monday with leftover cake in the house.

You live where I live!!! I got my wedding favours (macarons) from there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually live further east, with the big egg, but we are in the city quite a lot. I ran in the river valley during the week and encountered big packs of women riders and wondered if you were one of them!

I have never had a macaron from there - which one should I start with?
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm more likely to be riding by myself or a bunch of guys. Usually by myself, cause I sneak out for rides when it's convenient (ie the kid's nap time).

All of them?? I like the fruity ones - not a huge fan of the nut/chocolate/lavender/tea ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This is my last week at home :-( I fly back to school next Tuesday (assuming I passed my comprehensive exams - I will find out by Thursday). Not looking forward to it. Goal for the week is to enjoy the week as much as possible and FEEL the sad emotions, not use food to mute them...

The good news is that I passed my comprehensive exams!
I had a pretty good week at home - had a cold, could have done without that - wish it hadn't been so foggy on so many mornings as that kept me off the bike - but all in all a really good last week. Did fine with food. Am in the Boston airport now.

M: 10.2 mi run
T: 5 mi run + 4200 yd swim
W: 14 mi run
T: 7 mi run* + 2000 yd swim
F: 8 mi run
S: 3.5 mi run + 2200 yd swim
S: 8.1 mi run + 14.1 mi bike

*descending quarters

totals 8200 yd swim + 14 mi bike + 55.8 mi run

goals for this week:
ride 4x (2 done)
swim 3x
take a day off from running and keep total mileage under 45
do well w/ food particularly while traveling

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The good news is that I passed my comprehensive exams!

Hooray and congratulations. I had knew you would. I'm proud of you.
Travel safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YAYYYYYYY! That's awesome!!! so proud (snif snif) our little tc's all grown up... (snif snif)

Leadman went OK - I was 7th FOA, but shoulda been 3rd - I had kind of a crappy run - my stomach does NOT agree with gels anymore. But a good swim & ride, considering my couch-to-finish training.

This week: skate 4x, run whaddevah, no swim, ride maybe 2x. :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the congrats :-)

Swam at 5 am this morning; flying west is so awesome in terms of the time change.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the exams!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figured I'd pop in and give a knee update.

I had a cortisone shot a couple weeks ago and it actually made the pain worse. My theory, and my Dr kinda agrees, is that it got rid of the last pocket of fluid that was providing a cushion. The upshot is that I am really bone on bone at this point. I'm going in today to try the next option, Euflexxa shot. I think it will be a series of 3. I'm really not looking forward to it but I'm pretty desperate.

I walked a 10K on Saturday that I'd signed up for in the spring, hopeful I'd be able to run it. I had a friend with me and we ended up walking a pretty brisk pace but I paid for it that evening. It doesn't help that I went out to dinner with friends but mostly I sat. On Sunday I went to the Seahawks game (AHHH!!!!) and did a lot of walking and standing. My knee was so sore that night and Monday.

I'm really struggling with not being a runner or athlete. That was a really big part of my identity and that's gone. I haven't been able to drag myself to the gym for a swim or anything really. I'm in a vicious cycle of weight gain, the blues and wanting to get in shape again. Right now the weight and the blues are winning. I'm looking for some kind of motivation but I know that has to come from me.

It doesn't help that Mother Nature flipped the switch and it has been raining the last couple days. Sunday was sunny and very hot, Fall came and it has been raining ever since.

ETA: Congrats on the exams, TC! Andy, it sounds like you had 2/3 of a successful day which isn't too bad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: Sep 24, 14 10:34
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am really sorry your knee isn't cooperating and I hope the effluxa shot works.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The weight gain/blues/wanting to work out struggle...

I so get all that. Hang in there - hopefully you can get something working for you. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jen, I can't complain, it was still a fun day and funner trip and seeing everyone again was worth the hours of effort... plus crepes and beer... I mean c'mon man, that's heaven right there! :-)

I hear you - about the "identity" thing, and the weight vs. motivation vs. depression. I think while most of us have experienced it in some manner, we've also not had as nearly a serious situation as yours. You might have to look outside athletic endeavours to find some peace - at least some distraction. Nothing like going stir crazy.

Hang in there.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I got my first shot last night and can feel the difference. I was in constant pain and that has eased up a bit. Two more shots and then we will know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fingers crossed!

Quote Reply