Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Sept. 12 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 12 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals this week: get ready for a sprint tri on Sunday. done! make significant progress on schoolwork :P sort of. I got one thing done. I got really frustrated at the end of the week because writing wasn't going well. I think I found my way through it.

M: 46 mi bike
T: 4 mi run + 45 min teaching spin + 4.1 mi run + 2600 yd swim
W: 12 mi run + 68 min teaching spin
T: 8.2 mi run (5k @ 7:19 pace) + 1300 yd swim
F: 7.28 mi run + 2200 yd swim
S: 4.6 mi run + 1900 yd swim
S: sprint tri 500m swim + 14.5 mi bike + 3.8 mi run

I had a great race. I was 2nd female overall, which was also second overall since the top four women beat all the men :-) The only split I have is the run split (26:10) which was the fastest female, and second fastest overall. I was really pleased with the run split. I was in the last swim wave, so I spent the whole day chasing people down... lots of fun.

Goals this week: it's my last week home, as I fly out next Monday. So, enjoy it :-) schoolwork goals TBA after a mtg with advisor today.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job on the race!

I am officially back training.

4 days of swimming
2 bike rides
1 ice skating lesson
1 walk
1 day totally off

Now to get into the up early and out the door routine instead of the wake up whenever, lay in bed for a hour or more looking at email, internet, etc. But, 8 days in and it's getting easier. Though I'm now going to be adding French class on Monday nights into the mix. I seem to do better when I'm overly busy!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC - Congrats on you great race! You work hard. I'm glad you're doing so well.

Ironclm - I'm officially back to training this week too.

Last week I managed to get in 42 miles of running which is the most for me in over a year :) I'm thinking of joining a running group. Running is my favorite and I'd like to do another good marathon before my age doesn't allow me to anymore.

I had 3 bikes, 5 runs, but only one swim last week
this week - I want 3 bikes, 5 runs and 3 swims

Happy training everyone!!!
Last edited by: nad: Sep 12, 16 8:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the race tigerchik! Way to go!

I had a good week!

<quote>I'm adding some band work back into my p/rehab program and may be able to try the elliptical (under supervision). Planning 3 swims, 3 bikes, 2 yoga sessions and daily correctives and p/rehab. </quote>

I swam three times (all ocean for 3.5 miles), biked four times (two trainer, two road for ~120 miles), took only one yoga class but did my daily correctives and p/rehab. I am easing into some band work (SL balance, fire hydrants, clamshells, etc., some strength, and was able to "run" on the elliptical under supervision three times -- it felt so nice to be moving my legs in a way that felt like running :D

This weekend I am going to swim, bike, DNF to take photos at a local Oly triathlon. This was supposed to be the "A Race" of my rookie season so I'm getting a little sad but feeling good about the progress I've made on the swim and the bike. (I've rebuilt my run plenty of times so I know it comes back)

I'm treating the race like a training brick so my week is pretty normal: daily correctives and p/rehab plus a little more elliptical each time, 3 swims, 2 bikes, 2 yoga sessions.

I hope everyone has a great week!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tc - great job on the race!
cathy - I hear ya re: better when busier. :-)

last week's plans:
- Run 3x - DONE and feeling good. Just need to keep on top of the "maintenance" - heat, stretching, massage, etc.
- Ride 3x - on my NEW BIKE Wheee!!! - MORE THAN DONE I logged almost 300k last week :-) I still have to tweak the fit a bit but it's getting closer. Officially joined P's club, so now it's my club too. I'm the 2nd chica, and a 3rd also joined. The first chica is a super climber (which I'm not) but I'm the sprinter (which she's not). We joked about getting a polka dot and a green version of our club jerseys for us :-)
- Physio 1x & exercises every day I dont "run" - DONE
- Skate 2x (yay! skating start on Sat!) - DONE and man it feels good to be back on the ice
- Hopefully having our offer accepted :-) - FAIL but only by another offer that was ONLY $5K higher. :-(

This week:
- Run 3x, 4 would be a bonus but won't push it.
- Ride once, maybe twice (skating & kid's sked will make it tough to do more this week)
- Skate 6x (2 inline, 4 on ice)
- Physio 1x & exercises every day I don't "run"

2 weeks to go!!!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am doing well TC, thanks as always for asking. Congrats on your awesome race result!

Andy - yay for joining the club! I hope you have an awesome time. Do they do non-sanctioned club races?

Last week was a good week for me. Did the final club TT of the year on the TT bike. Unlike the previous week's TT I wasn't the slowest of the pack. I actually came third of five women (one day I want to be as fast as 1 & 2). I wasn't racing with power because the TT bike doesn't have a PM so had to go by RPE. I think I could have gone harder but it's difficult to judge. The next day my hamstrings and core made clear their objections to me suddenly going aero for long stretches.

I also had a physio appointment and the physio said that at my next appointment (Sep 23) he and I will go give the running track a little visit. I am very excited. My knee has been better of late but last week also marked six months since I got injured and I am totally done with all the restrictions.

I've also been giving the KICKR a go. Mixed feelings so far; in some ways I prefer my dumb trainer. Might be good for reining me in when I have to do VO2max intervals though.

Off to NY this week and then base training will start when I get back. Have already got a spin session planned at Soul Cycle while I'm in the Big Apple and planning to do prehab to keep me on track for the physio appt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to everyone for the winning - in all its forms.

This week is my Christmas - new house/furniture/appliances. So done with packing and moving. We are living in a shell of a house with no furniture and minimal "stuff". It's been a LONG haul getting here.

Next week I am running and riding - at least one of each.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 12 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This week is my Christmas - new house/furniture/appliances.

Nice!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 12 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Skate 6x (2 inline, 4 on ice)

JEALOUS! I wish we had a speed skating sheet of ice.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 12 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are doing short track so we use a standard hockey rink. Unfortunately the closest long track (400m oval) is in Calgary. Boourns.

Here's a fun clip of short track - some great passes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPOVHaLztHs

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in the dumps.
I got official word that the job I phone interviewed with in July was a "no". I'm not surprised. I was rather under qualified.
My commute is getting to me REALLY BADLY.
I feel like outside of work and workouts, I have nothing, no extra time. lately even preparing food for myself has felt like a major burden (I like cooking, usually). I don't FEEL like cooking. I am back being more motivated for my workouts, though, so that's a good thing.

I am looking back on my career change and questioning everything. I have work I enjoy much more now, but the rest of my life seems to be suffering badly.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 12 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry things are out of balance for you. It's especially hard when you feel stuck. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks. It stinks feeling like that. Dumb q: can you move? just thinking if you can change the commute somehow to make it less sucky. It's a stretch I know.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's a valid question. If we move, then I make husband's commute much much more worse than mine. Mine would turn into 30-35-40 minutes, and his would be 45 on a good day, in horrible traffic - daily traffic jam, daily accidents. On most day's he'd be closer to an hour. He'd never tolerate it.

I wonder if I was an idiot to jettison a mediocre job with great PTO and commute for better work life and a horrid commute and terrible PTO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a drag when life just isn't clicking along right. Hang in there. And whatever you do, keep taking care of your body! Don't give up the basics!

My week was pretty good. Had a trail race on Saturday 13.1m with 3000' of climbing. The hills were STEEP! I like a good hill, but it needs to be runable! I got a 2:48 (I know, what happened to sub 2:00??), which was good enough to put me at the top 10% in my AG. My hip had a twinge in the final 2 miles that made me worried that I was blowing up. This was a "fun run" for me - my firm sponsors the event so we get free entries - free? Sure, why not? Even though I really don't like foot races. There were a handful of folks from my firm racing so that was fun to drink beer with them after. They think I'm a nutter because I train so much.

I tried swimming on Sunday with one of those front snorkels. I grew up a swimmer so that hasn't been an area I've ever focused on, but I know my stroke is sloppy and lopsided. I can feel it. So, I thought, what the hell... try this thing out. Um.... I was slower with the snorkel. And, I really only wanted to do 50m at a time. That was weird. I'm usually a long set kinda gal. Anybody have any tricks? I'm serious - I was slower with the snorkel. When I used to train for sprints I would go the whole 50m with only 1 or 2 breaths, so I'm not afraid of keeping my face down. In the end, I only put in 2,500m, about 1/3 with the snorkel.

I've taken the last two days (Mon & Tue) off completely. Now I feel like I've lost all my fitness and I've gained 10 pounds. So, I just popped out a 4 mile run and I feel pretty good. Getting back on track this week. Next race (Oly) is 5 weeks away.

Cheers!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 12 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the encouragement! I've gotten some from friends and the husband recently that has helped.
:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear ya, I left a job with super wicked easy commute and great benefits and killer pay because... the CEO, CFO were a bunch of idiot pricks and they were never going to 1: invest in me (training, education); 2: grow the company into what it could have been; 3: give me a chance for promotion. So I could have stayed on that merry-go-round until they thought to get rid of me, or I could try to find other adventures. I sometimes regret leaving because my team was awesome and the actual work itself was great. But if I had stayed I would have really missed out on a lot of things - including finishing my master black belt, etc.and I know I would have been less and less able to tolerate the gross incompetence at the top. For me, nothing is more frustrating that working towards a purpose I can't believe in...

Watch this killer TED talks video (one of my faves) that helps me when I have doubts like yours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrkrvAUbU9Y

In the job I left (above), I had autonomy, but would never get mastery, and didn't agree with the purpose. My current job? I get all three.

Ask yourself if you would have had 1, 2 or 3 of those things in your old job, and compare to your current job. It might help you feel better about your decision.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks! I'll take a look at that TED talk.
Quote Reply