Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Nov. 4 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope all the womens are doing well.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 4 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been doing really well in school :-) I aced a midterm, research is going well, :D
and I didn't have any food issues !!! well, I had some urges but I WAITED THEM OUT, ha! I still feel, often, like I eat too much but my weight has been stable for quite awhile so I guess I am doing ok and should just enjoy it. I have a snack drawer... I think people in my office have the impression that I am constantly snacking... it feels like I am...

Quote:
Goals for this week: 12-15k swim (bonus points if I hit 15k), DONE bike commute a couple times (secretly hoping for more time on the bike than lastweek) did twice so yes "a couple", keep daily runs to under an hour not all of them and do one long run eh.

M - 7.1 mi run + 4200 yd swim
T - 4 mi run + 2600 yd swim + 5 ish miles bike commute
W - 9 mi run + 1300 yd swim
T - 8 mi run + 3600 yd swim
F - 7.5 mi run + 1000 yd swim
S - 8.5 mi run + 4500 yd swim
S - 9 mi run + 5 ish mi bike commute

totals 17200 yd swim , 10+ mi bike, 53 mi run, 3.5 mi walking

Goals for this week: take tomorrow off from running (it's going too well for me to risk getting hurt. REPEAT TO SELF), vary the run distance more (I was doing well at the beginning of the week!), swim a fast 1650 on Saturday (shooting for under 20:30) , bike commute at least a couple days, keep doing well with food!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completed my last race of the season, 20km trail run, beautiful views and a good vibe. I am slow and steady but I am very happy that I accomplished all my personal running goals this year. Now I get to kick back to three runs a week, some zumba classes and snowshoeing. Here comes winter.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your good week! I took a couple of weeks off from the Womens because I feel like I've been so negative in all of my posts since my accident and I was tired of myself ;-) Some better stuff lately - yesterday I did my first on-the-road ride since my concussion diagnosis 8 weeks ago, and only my 4th or 5th ride since I got hit in June. I only went 11 miles at an easy pace around my neighborhood, but it's a start.

One of PT's suggested trying to run sprint intervals to see if I had fewer headaches - the theory is that when I jog, there's more jarring and when I run, it's smoother. I worry about re-aggravating leg/hip/shin issues if I introduce speed before endurance, but I wore my nice cushy Hokas and tried it. I got in 9 intervals and walked to recovery after each - it was kind of fun to go fast, it doesn't happen too often, but for 40-50 seconds I can move pretty well! My headache flared up at the end, but the only way to figure out my limits is to push a little.

I bumped my swimming up a little - I've been doing 100's with lots of rest, and I've tried to stretch it to 200's a couple of times. I've gone from being able to do 500 yards headache-free up to 1300 (200 drills, 2x200, 5x100, and 100 alt stroke and kicking on my back). I'm not sure if I should keep trying to add distance or try to do longer sets - any suggestions?

Last week, my PT figured out that my dizziness during some exercises is coming from some nystagmus, which is apparently yet another possible side effect of head injuries. I was upset at first because after 4.5 months, I really don't want to find new diagnoses, but my PT put a positive spin on it - we can treat it, and it might be the final "clue" as to why my recovery has been so slow, so I'm trying to look at it that way too. If I can figure out how to load a picture, I'll have to post one of an exercise I'm doing - it entertains everyone in the gym when they see it, but hey, we all need something to laugh about, right? I'm weaning off the PT and starting to do more on my own at the gym. The first time I was lost - I'd never done anything there other than swim, and I didn't even know what else they had.

We set a goal for me to return to racing next April at one of my favorite races. The Tri season here ended this past weekend, so at least now I don't feel as if I'm missing out, and I've got all winter and early spring to get back on track. So... I'm doing a little swimming, a little biking, and a little walk/running, and now a little strength training -- life is good!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 4 Edition [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am glad to see you posting again.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 4 Edition [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mdiane,
Recovery and rehab is a long and sometimes trying process. Hang in there.

Had a week of sloth after my race, and now gradually introducing activities back in. I'm having the same conversations with PT, acupuncture, about tapering down treatment. Of course, as soon as I started those, my damn back started acting up again. Sigh.... I'll give it a rest today and just do some stretching, see how things are tomorrow.

I'm on a similar plan--aiming to really race a sprint next April as my first race post-recovery. Will probably stick to short course stuff next year.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decent week last week. Swim 2x, bike 3x with one ride outside, and ran 6x and only 4mi short on my week's run mileage goal. It was because I chose to run with a friend and she's not up to doing the mileage I usually do. Totally worth it though, to hang out and catch up! So I'm not really bummed on it at all.

This week - shoot for run mileage. I have a CX race on Sunday so I was thinking I'd try to get my long run in Thurs. before work, eeek, but I was going to reward myself with a special lunch treat and use that as some of my motivation. Should be OK.

I have one last round of exams for my final certification. the two computer exams are NEXT WEEK. EEEKKK!!! So I have to make studying a priority too. I plan to do a big study day on Saturday after my medium run and before dinner with friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC - good job all around. with the food and the exams. You probably are eating a lot. You burn tons of calories, and are still young and have a good metabolism. I suggest (easier said than done, I realize) that you concentrate on maintaining current weight, which you're doing well.

Carlsomi - congrats on a good season!

Mdiane630 - Welcome back.

Tri3 - enjoy your recovery

determination - good luck on your exams, let us know how you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My week last week was a few easy runs, one easy bike, but I did get in 4 swims which is a huge win.

This week -
increase run slowly maybe 30-40 miles
bike at least 3 times w/ one of at least 2 hours
swim 3-4 times

happy training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your good week TC!

Tri3 and mdiane, I wish you both the best of luck with getting a proper diagnosis finalized so you can really start working toward your goal races. You're strong and determined, and I know you'll both be kicking ass come spring!

Last week's goals:

Run x 2 (I want my annual Halloween run, and to run at a park near a friend's house where we'll be visiting this weekend): WIN with 2 - ankle feels ok now, and I even got 7k in at the Metropark despite being stupid and popping a hamstring on Friday night. It's doing ok and not interfering.
Swim x 2: WIN, and the second one actually went really well!
Bike x 1: WIN
Core/strength x 3: WIN
Foam roll x 1: FAIL
Let damaged ankle heal: WIN. It's doing fine now.
Try to stop eating everything in sight: FAIL. Restraint went out the window last week in a lot of ways.

The run at Lake Erie Metropark was awesome - rather a chilly, grey, miserable day with a damp wind blowing, but I loved running along the shore and over the boardwalks on the nature trail. A couple of very different views:

The stark shoreline looking North.

Mouth of the Detroit River as it flows into Lake Erie.

This boardwalk through the marsh is a riot of birdsong in better weather.

Some of the trees were at the very height of their autumn colour, standing out like brilliant splashes in the gloom.

This week's goals:
Run x 6
Swim x 4
Bike x 2
Core/strength x 4
Focus on good nutrition

Could actually feel my belly flopping around while running last night - gross! Excellent motivation to get back on track after a week of indulgence, though, along with high hopes for a hilly 30k race at the end of March. Let the Around the Bay campaign begin!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Congrats on school and success in the good old "TC vs. the noms" battle!

After 4 work days of 11 hours each, I was exhausted and did nothing. Bad me. Worked from home on Friday, which I think will be a regular occurrence, so I was able to go for a run. 42 minutes felt good - tried not to push too hard. Spent the next two days sore. Really sore. Quads-of-lead sore. Still managed two 26-min errands trips on my mountain bike.

Unfortunately, the soreness impacted my bike fit on Saturday - I spent 3 hours at the LBS getting my bike tweaked and adjusted. I learned that there is a significant discrepancy in the balance of my hips (right is high) that is likely due to overcompensating while carrying my laptop bag and purse.

The big scary is that I got into Vineman 70.3, so that puts a very serious deadline on my training. I'm thrilled and scared shitless in one swell foop. The furthest tri I've done so far is a sprint tri (2/3 mi swim, 18 mi bike ride, 5k run), furthest bike a 50k, and furthest run a half marathon, so this is going to require a huge increase in my training.

Goals for this week:
  • Taper for my half marathon on Sunday
  • Something every day
  • No excuses
  • No weighing myself

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week: ride work work work ride sleep-kinda walk ride work work work ride sleep-but-not-really walk work work work skate not-so-much-sleep ride work work work ride walk still-not-enough-sleep ride work work work get-the-SAG-wagon-home sleep-finally walk walk sleep-again walk walk. So really a big bag of Sweet F All. Oh well.

This week: Shake off the doldrums. Get back running, super EeZee. 3x. Have a XC race on the 11th for Remembrance Day. So it would be nice to feel some pep in the legs. Also skate 2x. And lastly: try to ride once. Manage work stress better than I have been. Stop eating garbage. The Vending Machine is not real food.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like most of the womens have had an awesome week and everybody is on the rebound!

Here in NJ, the weather has turned cold and it's dark by 5PM. Time to head inside for most workouts now unless I can sneak out between classes for a run or ride.

Did not meet last weeks goals at all :-(. Too much to do and not enough hours in the day - but I did get all of my letters or rec polished up and off - fingers crossed for my students to get into their dream colleges.

Last week:
Ride 3x - fail - only 2x
Run 4x - fail - only 2x
Swim 3x - WIN
Strength 1x - fail
Good news - did get about 9 hours of training in and successfully limited my intake of Halloween candy.

This week I really need to figure out how to squeeze in outdoor workouts. I need the sun and the outdoors to keep me motivated.
Goals:
Ride 3x
Run 4x (1 done!)
Swim 3x (1 done!)
Strength 2x (priority!)

Happy training to all the womens!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 4 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
misstressk, you always have great pics. Do you carry a camera on your runs/bikes? Or are they taken with a phone?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 4 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! The top and bottom photos there were taken with a proper camera that I brought along in the vehicle, just walking around the park a bit after the run - I pretty much always have my phone with me, which is how I got the middle two photos. If I put it in "sport" mode, it takes passable pics while moving as long as there's decent daylight.

When I run over 1.5hrs, I tend to bring my hydration vest which has pockets for a real camera, and of course jersey pockets work well too. The camera I use is an Olympus Tough series (the TG-630) which is water-, shock-, dust- and freeze-proof, so I don't have to worry about rain, sweat, or dropping it!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Nov 7, 13 6:24
Quote Reply