Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Nov. 21 Edition
Quote | Reply
It is the week of American Thanksgiving! Do you have plans?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 21 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals this week:
rough draft of one of journal article not done, but worked on it.
bike 5x done!
day off from running done, actually ran 5x
keep doing a good job doing things that make me a faster runner (so far so good) did a good job with this
swim 5x (2 done) done

I did 5 sessions of each sport, for a total of 7600 yd swim, 40.5 mi bike, 49.4 mi run

I am house-sitting over Thanksgiving, and looking forward to hanging out with the cats at the house :-) also planning to get a bunch of work done. Also am going to have T-day dinner with a friend.

Goals for this week:
day off from running
swim 7 miles (1 done)
bike 5x
get a bunch of schoolwork done... I fly home in 2 weeks!!!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the Great White North so no thanksgiving plans here. It's just a normal week with extra stuff thrown in - evening classes on T, W, Th, touring kindergarteners around the fire hall on F, all day classes on S & S. I feel exhausted just thinking about it.

Last week's goals: 5 rides/6h 45m.
Actual: 5 rides/ 6 hrs 29m. One of my rides got cut short because we had a fire call out. Ditching the Friday ride worked well and the quality ride on Saturday seemed much more manageable than it has on previous weeks. I think this will be my plan going forward.

I had my physio appointment and we continue to work on all the single-leg stuff and have also added in some more moves to work on my lower core

This week's goals: 5 rides/ 7 hours.

How is everyone else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto here - no gobble gobble just more maple syrup and poutine. :-)

last week's plans:
This week: get fully recovered; look at how to better manage my stress
- Find a new GP (mine retired, finding a new doc after 30+yrs will be a challenge) - DONE (appt for next Mon, fingers crossed)
- Run 1x EZ
- Skate 1x
- Referee 1x (all day meet, I'm the chief ref)
- Ride 1x EZ
- Nail the "job" interview on Wednesday with our city's mayor and CAO for (don't laugh, this is totally up my alley) a role as a Commissioner of our city's Electrical Utility. 3yr position essentially as a member of the "board of directors" for the utility, requires only 1 day every 2 mo. Current boss is totally on board for it.

EDIT: tried skating this morning and had to stop after warm up with the spacey-head/flu feeling again. So likely nothing aside from Refereeing and the job i/view.

Basically reffed for 12hrs, had the job i/view, had 2 EZ runs and that was it. But considering how I felt 10 days ago I'll take it. Met with new GP - she's awesome, gets that I'm into sports and am proactive about my health, so I feel quite relieved. :-)

This week's plans:
- Skate 3x (+ coach 2x)
- Run EZ 2x - my R calf still doesn't like going up hills, so take it easy is the protocol
- Ride 1x maybe 2x - the weather is just crap right now ok I'll be honest it's been raining almost non-stop since early Oct and I am going stir crazy. Worse it's not even cold enough for snow on the mountains at least then I could go xc skiing. Bah! One of these rides might be a trainer ride... :-(
- Investigating a personal trainer for a 6-8 stint to re-kick start my fitness (felt the loss this morning after skating)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kind of just want to moan and whine. My last CX race of the year was abysmal. I fell 3x within the first 1/3 of the first lap. I then proceeded to fall 3-4x per lap, maybe more, but I stopped counting. Here's a race where I very likely could have finished 3rd or so... and I was the only one who didn't get lapped. We were riding in a blizzard, with slick wet grass, snow on the ground, poor visibility, and canti brakes with wet carbon rims. My husband was astounded at all my falling. I see disc brakes in my future for cx.
Then I still can't run much. I'm seriously only running 2 x 3mi per week. I went back for more dry needling this past Monday and I'm just frustrated. I can't seem to make any headway. the hamstring tendinitis seemed to crop up again this year at almost to the day of when it happened last year.
Plus I'm also sucking in the pool as I had let myself get out of shape in the pool this late summer.
Oh, this post is so full of cry and whine. Weight is up a bit too. Whine whine whine.

Goal> maybe not for this week... but in general. Get positive and make a plan.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 21 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow that does suck :-(

Maybe take a week off everything and give yourself some space to have a pity party, think honestly about your current situation, and what you want to do going forward (which may include a plan B with no running, right? or a plan C with a totally different approach to the hamstring issue). Let's face it we are all getting older and like you, I have recurring frustrations that are making me think I may have to re-think my goals and re-set my expectations.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear some of our womens are having a rough go - I hope you're back on top of things and feeling great soon!

Another syrup sucker here (so Thanksgiving was last month), but I wish all of you celebrating it this week a wonderful time!

I made no goals for last week, and I'm happy about that - I walked or hiked every day, and that's it. Note: you know you've married the right person when he'll actually agree to go try hiking an unmarked, sketchy and boggy bit of trail after dark in a howling snowstorm just because you want to see if it's potentially runnable. I also ate way too much really delicious food and put on a few pounds doing so. Totally ok with the cause and will live with the effect.

I'd reached a point by last Friday that I almost broke into a run in hiking boots while out with my husband - legs just wanted to go, but I reined them in. It felt oh, so good to let them off the leash on Monday and run again.

Was supposed to get back in the pool last night, but our car spat its serpentine belt on the highway on our way home. Between 45mins for the tow truck to arrive and the 45min ride to the house, plus having no viable vehicle (not riding my motorcycle to the pool at -4c), another run was all she wrote. It was wonderful being able to shrug off the stress of the car trouble for awhile, though.

Towed our little bucket to the dealer this morning to get it fixed up, and got a loaner car so we could get to work. Hopefully this won't cost us anything as we just had the idler pulley replaced due to bad bearings on Saturday, so either the tech didn't replace the serpentine belt properly after installing the new pulley or didn't bother to tell anyone that the belt was in need of replacement.

This week's goals:
swim x 1
bike x 1
run x 5
core/strength x 4

Time to start building for the January races, and what lies beyond..

Quote | Reply
Sorry you're having a rough time. Whine away, sometimes you just need to wallow and get it out of your system.

Happy turkey day if it's your turn (just a boring regular week for me).

I could really use some sun. We aren't normally this grey for this long - couple that with the shorter days and I'm definitely feeling "off".
Quote Reply