Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Nov. 17 edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 17 edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exhausted. First week of "proper" tri training in 3.5 years totally wiped me out. I made all the scheduled workouts but one, didn't have it in me to run this weekend so I popped the kiddo onto the bike a at least got some time in there.

Masters swimming was really good. I managed ~2300 scy for the week over two sessions.
Strength training wiped me out, back to that today
Got on a bike but not MY bike. Basement clean out for trainer set up has not occurred.

How do y'all account for bike commute time/miles? I do about 3.5 miles/25 minutes a day, which seems like so little I don't even count it.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 17 edition [FyreHaar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I count my commute miles; it accounts for a significant portion of my riding, as I don't ride that much. I give myself 30 min roundtrip for 6 miles (am slow on bike anyway and add the backpack in and it gets worse)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
run x 6, swim x 3 (1 down), bike x 3 (hopping on the bike after this), any resistance work is a bonus.

Met all my goals and had an extra swim session too. Also did some yoga to loosen up a bit. Didn't do any resistance work but if I add everything in at once I know I'm less likely to do any of it.

Goals for this week: run x 6, swim x 4 (3 independently,1 coached), bike x 3. Have already done 1 bike and 1 swim session today.

In non fitness stuff, I finally finished all 8 Outlander (Diana Gabaldon) books, had some success trying out new recipes for dinner and watched Despicable Me 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
goals for this week
bike more miles than I run. Commute + long ride nope, made excuses like it's cold / rainy / I have too much stuff to carry to commute
at least 1 day off from running nope, but did not run today!
swim 5-6 times done w/ 6 even though some were short
DON'T BINGE. This is a very busy week with school and evening activities and I know I am going to get tired, which is my biggest trigger. I can't remember. I think I binged once. Overall I did pretty well I think.

M: 7 mi run + 4000 yd swim
T: 7 mi run + 2200 yd swim
W: 10 mi run + 1200 yd swim
T: 8 mi run + 1800 yd swim
F: 6 mi run + 700 yd swim
S: 5 mi bike + 5 mi run + 3000 yd swim
S: 5 mi bike + 8.5 mi run

totals 12,900 yd swim + 10 mi bike + 51.5 mi run

goals for this week
at least one day off from running (1 done!)
swim 5-6 times
bike more miles than I run

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Swim x 1: WIN with 2
Run x 6: WIN with 7 including my warm-up run on Sunday
Core/strength x 2: WIN
Mobility/stretch x 4: WIN

Missed a 10k PR by about 30sec on Sunday morning - just didn't have it. Possibly because there was a Google Maps fail on Saturday; I had planned a run of a little over 2 miles but the route turned out to be more like 4.65 miles (running to a landmark & back - map showed landmark in the wrong place). Then an hour of hiking Saturday afternoon, got 5hrs or less of sleep for 3 nights before the race, blah blah blah. Still the 2nd fastest 10k I've run.

Mission accomplished in the 5k, though. I managed to pace a friend who is dearer than family to a 5min PR! I'm so freakin' proud of him - he did amazing.

That was my last race of the year, so I've been stuffing my face with too much food and not doing a damn thing since. Well, I have done a bit of strength & mobility work and a bit of walking - I'm actually itching to get back to running, but my husband basically told me I was taking at least 1 day fully off and since winter landed with an audible thud on Sunday night I wasn't too sorry not to be out in -11c/12f windchill & blowing snow last night.

This week's goals:
Swim x 3
Bike x 1
Run x 3
Core/strength x 4

More or less. If I don't want to, I won't. This one week is totally no-pressure for me.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Last week was only OK:

Swim x2 - nope, no swimming at all, sleep was more important.
Bike x2 - nope, only once.
Run x5 - 4 runs, so close on this one
Yoga x2 - again, only once.

Spent a LOT of time getting ready for our move, so blew off my bike/run workout on Saturday to clean out our basement storage room instead. That, plus grading papers for several hours ate away my weekend.

This week I'm a little sick - sore throat mostly, so far I've missed one run. I'm hoping I can hold it to just the one lost run. Next week is a write off as I travel twice for work...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holy cow, it's THURSDAY already... busy busy... work's gone in the shitter again - but I have a HUGE audit week coming up (week of Dec 1st) so once I get through that, I can break and recharge. However, it is time to start looking seriously for a position elsewhere. Ugh.

Last week: not as much skating as I wanted but I had a real breakthrough on Sat with my transition out of the corner into the straightaway. Easily shaved 2-4 sec off a lap. Also didn't run much as doggie was not running. I suck. :-) Doing well on the food accountability. Still dropping lbs - but slowly and controlled.

This week: skate 4x (2 done); run 4x (2 done); ride 2x (1 done); drills/plyo 2x (1 done - wow!).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been on an ST hiatus so have been a bit quiet.

My updates:

I'm still not running and feeling like it may never happen again. My knee is a lot better after the injections but still gets sore if I do the wrong thing.

I bought a 1 month pass to the new Pure Barre studio down the street. I've been going 1 or 2 times a week this month and it absolutely kicks my ass. I have yet to make it through a full workout without breaking form. I really like the workouts and the teachers are very patient with me. These chicks are buff! If you haven't taken a class, I highly recommend doing so.

I also started with a personal trainer 1x/week. I really like her. We are working on overall strength building. I am limited in some things I do, such as burpees and step-ups, but we work with the TRX, dumbells, lots of push-ups, etc.

I'm trying to get in two more days of cardio a week with some success. This week was trainer on Monday, Tues and Wed off because my knee was sore and a work conflict, Thurs was barre and yesterday I did a 30 minute swim. I planned barre today but let myself sleep late then Olive wouldn't get off my lap. I'll try and get to the gym later and do barre tomorrow before I head to the kitteh shelter for the afternoon.

I am making some progress. I've lost 1/2" in the hips and waist, gained a little in the arms, body fat has dropped 1%. All of those are easily within a margin of error but I'll take it.

Now I really need to work on the food. I'm trying to stay focused on performance goals and not weight but I'd still like to drop 8 - 10lbs. My first goal is to make it all the way through a barre class and be able to do 15 full push-ups. I will then treat myself to something expensive at Lululemon so I look snazzy while suffering.

Work was extremely stressful for about 2 weeks this month but I've cleared that up and should be able to focus on the right stuff instead of a jackass who was making my life miserable.

Keep up all of your hard work womens! There are days where we don't hit our goals and days that we do. Its all good because we are at least trying and have a high overall success rate.

I mentioned to an STer that made a comment about looking fat in there IMAZ race photo. I didn't even think of that when I saw it. I reminded him we are our own worse critic. Where we see our failures, others skip those and see our successes.

Here's to another successful week!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: Nov 22, 14 14:46
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 17 edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jen, that's great news re: barre and trainer. Yoga? AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 17 edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been awhile since I posted, but I've been lurking. Jen, in terms of losing fat, have you looked at Matt Fitzgerald "Quick Start"? It's a jump start approach to his "race weight" method. Combines diet, strength and aerobic workouts. Hubby and I started the 8 week program last week as an off-season activity and are liking it so far.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 17 edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a strange reaction to yoga, I get nauseous every time I go to a class. I think it is all the sun salutations and downward dogs.

Tri3, I haven't checked out that book, I'll take a look. Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply