Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? May 30 Edition
Quote | Reply
Have a thoughtful Memorial Day.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 30 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week: 18 weeks to go until Berlin. I need to get to 25km long run by last weekend of June to have a chance at a non-sufferfest.
- Coaching 3x - DONE although Sat games was 3+hrs of standing in the pouring rain, yuck :-(
- Run 4x including Fri long to work - DONE and the long was just over 16k with a pack... gotta bring stuff the day before so I can just go to a bottle belt...
- Ride 1x optional - DONE
- Inline 1x - DONE although not as long as I wanted, I started getting a nice blister on my right heel, so I cut it short (still 15km)
- Core 1x optional - maybe try to add it to the end of an easy run - DONE

This week:
- Coaching 4x - LAST WEEK of football YAY! This weekend is the provincial tournament so 2 days of insanity. Then I'm FREE!
- Run 4x incl Fri long to work, aim for 20k
- Ride 1x

That'll be it - the tournament will suck up all of the weekend.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 30 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where I grew up in Maine, sporting events tended to be cancelled when it rained. When I moved to OR and noticed it rained all the time, I asked what happened for kids' sports... apparently kids here get pretty used to playing soccer wearing trash bag rain coats or real raincoats (or they just play normally).

My goals last week were 10 hrs of dissertation work (10.75!), 3 bikes (did 1), 6 swims (done), day off from running (nope). I fly home tomorrow night, so this week looks like I will take Wednesday off entirely. I ran and rode today, and plan to run and ride both Thursday and Sunday. Fri/Sat I'm at a conference, so at least running and we'll see if I can sneak in anything else.

Other goal is 10 hrs dissertation work, conference time counts only for the time I am presenting...

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope the presentation goes well. Enjoy your time at home.

Managed 2/3 swims, 3/3 runs (although one was quite short; the long one aggravated my ligament), 3/3 bikes except instead of the club ride we rode from home because Dan forgot his bike shoes and we didn't have enough time to get them and get to the start point. Also did physio 4 times. I found out I passed my College of Paramedics licensing exam so that was good news.

This week has started pretty bumpy: Dan convinced me that we were being broken into last night. Cue calls to 911 and a lot of stress before we realize there's no intruder. I basically didn't sleep again though and that was before midnight so the whole night was a wash. And I feel like a moron for calling 911. My grey hairs have multiplied as a result.

This week: swim x 3 (one being 32 x 100 on my birthday; 100 x 100 is beyond me), bike x 3 (trainer x 2, club ride x 1) and run x 3 with another "long" run (45 minutes of running out of 75 minute workout).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah football is NEVER cancelled for rain - although we had to forfeit our first game because apparently the lacrosse players (box not field) assumed it was and didn't show up. <grrrr>

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 30 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I found out I passed my College of Paramedics licensing exam so that was good news.

Congrats!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Scheherazade! And good luck to tigerchik for your presentation!

Last week's goals:
swim x 2: win with 3
run x 4: win with 5 for just under 73km
core/strength x 3: win
I also rode a bike once - just a 10km mtb commute on trails down to the farmers' market, but it was the first time I'd been on a bike in weeks.

Everything's beautifully lush and green on the trails now. Unfortunately, that brings with it about 8 million mosquitoes.

(From Saturday's run at Hydrocut in Waterloo)

I caught my toe on a little sapling stump about 90mins into a 4h15m run on Saturday and ate it hard - face-first sprawl. Was trying to pick myself up and take stock but was bitten so many times I just started running again anyway. My left triceps seem to be the worst off (still really sore both to use and to touch), I somehow got a nasty cut in the web between my right index and middle fingers (despite having my bottle in that hand..?), and my knees got a little scraped and bruised. I lost count of how many times I rolled my left ankle while plodding around in the 30c heat and high humidity.

Met up with Tanker, who was hiking, and he got this shot of the aftermath.
The stick is for scratching mosquito bites. I carried that sucker for 2.5hrs after they bit me on the back of my shoulder where I couldn't reach.

Sunday I suffered even worse in the heat and humidity, having to take walking breaks even on basically flat trail, but at least it was pretty.

(Royal City Recreational Trail in Guelph)

This week's goals:
swim x 3
run x 5
core/strength x 4

Having run just shy of 88km between Tuesday the 24th and last night (with 1 day off Friday when I walked about 6.25km with my husband to show him the trails I run/ride down to my mum's place after work on Wednesdays), I am feeling pretty damn sore and tired but feel like I'm getting the work done. Have a 50k next Saturday but since it's just training for the 12hr in July, I don't plan to taper much for it (will only run 2-2.5hrs on Saturday instead of 4+hrs). Just trying to press onward and hoping like hell I can stay healthy. In non-endurance life, my husband and I have tickets to Macbeth at the internationally-renowned Stratford Festival for Saturday evening (because my mum is awesome and got them for him for his birthday), so we'll head out for a nice dinner in Stratford at a new restaurant I'm excited to try and then lose ourselves in the Scottish play for the night. Stoked!

Quote | Reply
Congrats to Scheherazade and best wishes tigerchik!

Last week and this week are peak weeks for my 70.3. I've never had a triathlon peak week, last week went fine but felt like a lot -- 2 pool swims, 1 ocean swim, 2 runs (speedwork at the track, hill repeats), 1 trainer ride, a 3 hour bike/run brick (~35M/8M, plenty of climbing), and an all day but not particularly strenuous hike. Last week I did only 1 yoga session and no strength which was disappointing, so my goal for this week is to be better about fitting those in and paying close attention to my body's response to the increased load.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good news-- went to the ortho today, got cleared to run, ride (on trainer or stationary) and kind of swim (one arm or kick or slight movement of right arm, but nothing too repetitive). So to celebrate, I'm going to run on the track tonight, then go out to dinner (it's really just our last night on the track, so we're going out to dinner). Back in the pool tomorrow. Happy that my arm is getting to breathe...it stank, no water on it for over a week, and I was all sweaty when they put the splint on.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 30 Edition [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay!!!

There's always sidestroke and elementary backstroke to mix things up in the pool - both gentler than freestyle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh, huge asthma attack last night - that's 3 in last 8 weeks :-(

Adjusting my week as follows:
- Coaching 4x - LAST WEEK of football YAY! This weekend is the provincial tournament so 2 days of insanity. Then I'm FREE!
- Run 2x (done)

I am now wondering if my workplace is making things worse. I need to ask the shop team lead about exposure to metal working fluids (which can turn into a sort of mist if not collected properly - the fluid is kind of a combination of water, oils, surfactants, etc, and generally is contained at the machine itself). If this keeps up, I may have to reduce my working days further. I don't like missing work. :-(

Anyone else here ever deal with an exposure situation, work or home?

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply