Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? May 27 Edition
Quote | Reply
Memorial day for US ST'ers = long weekend!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 27 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goals were to keep the easy runs easy and the fast runs fast; get 3 hrs of cycling; and swim was whatever I felt like. Those goals I met (run workouts were T, Th, S). Had 2 rougher days eating but am back on track now.

M - 2.8 mi run + 5500 yd swim
T - 8 mi run + 4000 yd swim
W - 6.2 mi run + 5000 yd swim
T - 8.5 mi run
F - 6.2 mi run + 4000 yd swim
S - 12.5 mi run + 2300 yd swim
S - 56 mi bike

totals 20,800 yd swim, 56 mi bike, 44.2 mi run.
Did shoulder and hip exercises a couple times apiece, and got about ten miles of walking with my roommate's dog.

Goals for this week are to once again keep the easy runs easy and fast runs fast; swim 5x; 3 hrs of riding. I have 11 days until I fly home!!!!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: May 27, 13 8:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 6: WIN
Bike x 4: FAIL but did some hard work
Swim x 4: WIN
Core/strength x 3: WIN

While I missed the time I would have liked to hit by a minute at the sprint yesterday, it actually went better than I had any right to expect with the amount of training I did in the week (and particularly day) beforehand. I set a swim PR, fought dead legs on the hills on the bike, set a T2 PR (0:53!), then just didn't have it on the run. I was working at max capacity, but my legs were blown - I'm probably lucky I didn't end up having to walk, but damn, I've run faster than that for the 10k at the end of an Olympic and this was just 5k after a sprint!

This week's goals:
Run x 6
Bike x 4
Swim x 4
Core/strength x 4

Pacing a friend through his first 5k on Sunday - it's actually in support of an association that has assisted a fellow STer, who is helping organize it. If anyone has a few dollars they can spare for a great cause, please click this link and select my name (Kristina Jacobson) from the drop down menu to donate!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Good week.
I think Monday's workout were enough that I put myself in a hole for the next two days. ha ha. But man, I was "on fire" on Monday.
hit the run mileage goal (6 runs). biked 5x if you count the tri I did on Sat. Only swim this week was in the tri.
Very happy with the sprint tri I did on Saturday, even though it was quite chilly! Set a new PR for a 5k within a sprint tri.

this week - more of the same with regards to running. Bike plenty, one interval workout.
Get in a swim, maybe scope out the 'during the week' pool to see if I can swim there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy long weekend y'all! I am spending today packing and cleaning the house (wheeee ugh) and walking around in a mini panic (what have I forgotten? why can't we just get going already? is that a foot cramp? is my achilles wrecked?). I am so desperate for a distraction I booked a last minute trip to the dentist. How sad is that?!? :-) Last week was super busy at work including a 36hr-turned-24hr trip to Dallas and back (I can now say I know every square inch of the US Departures area at YVR), and too much to try and cram in the time I had. I did get in a few nice and easy runs, nothing super long or hard, as my left achilles had been acting up. My last run yesterday felt really good, with no issues, so the taking it easy and avoiding lots of hillwork helped the achilles to calm the F*&% down.

We fly out later tonight, and by ~11am Pacific on the 2nd I should be finishing. www.comrades.com is the main race website. You should be able to find the runner tracker under: RESULTS (bottom left hand side) or http://results.comrades.com/...eId=93&EventId=1. My race # is 22782 but you should be able to search by Canada or MacIntosh.
There are 5 key points for timing (they may have more available but these are key ones): Cowies Hill, Drummond (halfway), Camperdown, Polly Shortts (the worst hill in the whole race, at ~80km), and the Finish. Here's my estimates... you can see the margins increase as I go...
Cowies Hill: 2hrs; Drummond: 5hrs; Camperdown: 7-8 hrs; Polly Shortts: 9-10:30hrs; Finish: 10-11:30hrs
I am so nervous and excited, I think I feel more nervous than I did before my first IM. Once the trip gets underway, I know I'll feel a lot better. Hopefully will post something on the road, if not, will do it after we get back. :-)
AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 27 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Safe travels and can't wait to follow your progress online.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a safe trip and GOOD LUCK!!! Am so excited for you!
Enjoy the race and I hope you feel like you are on fire next week!

Can't wait to read the race report.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, both, all womens really, I have really appreciated all the support from the womens I have received since I signed up for this crazy thing. :-) It has meant the world to me to have an outlet and I know I don't say it enough but you all inspire me to do my best - as the only way I can honour the ST sistahood called The Womens. Bit maudlin I know, but true.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go AndyPants! Such an exciting journey! Just remember that something's always bound to go wrong before the race--that's part of the cosmic karma. Then you will have the best race ever!

Pretty good swim week for me. Did 30k meters, inc. 3 long swims: 9x0.50 mile ows; 72x100lcm; and 5 mile ows. I may not be fast, but at least I'm starting to feel comfortable with the distance. One more big swim week and then a week of taper.

Also the start of week 4 with no leg work. I miss my bike. :-(

Ortho/sport doc appt is second week in June. My plan is to leave with an order for an MRI to figure what the heck is going on.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok so my first post here and wish I had joined in sooner since I need a bigger "support" group. Very clickish where I am and most of my training leading up to this weekend has been solo. Raleigh 70.3 here I come, so this week is a happy -taper-massage-week!

Last week (start of taper):
40min run + core (on treadmill at a conference - boo)
6mi AM run before conference (yay for me at 6am but was really 9am EST so it was easy)
Swim 2500 - bumped to Friday after getting in late from travel
2.5 bike ride - ran out of daylight so ended up with 1:45 but challenging
Off day - make up swim
1.5 hr bike with 20 min off run for last brick
40min run - track workout

This week (taper):
1500 swim
50min bike
30min run/massage
1200 swim
off to race/expo
15min bike/15 min run
RACE DAY

Keeping up with nutrition but working with a pro as well as have a coach for training. Getting nervous about my first 70.3 this weekend but have to trust in the training and appreciate my body. Happy to report how it went next week :)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 27 Edition [AClayton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Safe travels and I'll look forward to hearing all about it!!! I think half the reason I do the sport is for all of my friends race reports...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goal was to get back into a regular pace and stick to my prescribed Training Peaks plan. Zero swimming (pool at complex is STILL down wtf and I'm nervous about joining a masters class).
M: 30 min ride
T: 36 min run
Sat: 1:03 ride

Also got my new iP shoes (lightweight things made for sockless fast transition through T2 for sprint tris) and tested them on last night's run - felt good but I was grumpy about forgetting to move my footpod. T-20 days till my next sprint and I'm having vague nightmares about the swim. Wednesday morning I /WILL/ drag my splashy self to the masters class.

Next week's plan:
M: 1 hour ride, 30 min run (did 1 hour and 12 min)
T: 35 min run
W: Show UP to the masters class
R: 1 hour ride, 15 min run
F: 30 min ride
Sa: do the actual bike course of my next race (15 miles, 1 mean hill)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was my post-Ironman recovery week - my coach actually gave me a schedule with nothing on it for 5 or 6 days and instructions to rest. I did a little easy swimming just because it felt good to swim without getting beat up. Saturday I did a 4-mile run that made me wonder how I ever ran 26.2 - it was hot and humid and I realized that I was a little more worn out than I though. Sunday I did a 30-mile bike ride that felt awesome, except I ran out of drink for the last few miles - with our unseasonably cold weather earlier this month, I haven't gotten back in the habit of carrying tons of liquid even for shorter rides.

I have to admit I'm feeling kind of lost after 6 months of IM focus - I'm not depressed, but just at loose ends. I also have to admit that I can get a lot done around the house when I'm not training like a fiend, but it's not nearly as much fun. I'm thinking about doing a sprint tri with a pool swim in a few weeks just for a major change of pace, and I need to decide what else I want to do. We're blessed with races (mostly sprint or olympic) within a 1 - 1.5-hour drive almost every weekend through October, plus there are some organized bike rides and lots of 5k/10k runs with some half marathons later in the year. It's a nice problem to have!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 27 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
themadcyclist wrote:
Have a safe trip and GOOD LUCK!!! Am so excited for you!
Enjoy the race and I hope you feel like you are on fire next week!

Can't wait to read the race report.

x2! SO VERY excited for you and can't wait to hear all about it!

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 27 Edition [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdiane630 wrote:
We're blessed with races (mostly sprint or olympic) within a 1 - 1.5-hour drive almost every weekend through October, plus there are some organized bike rides and lots of 5k/10k runs with some half marathons later in the year. It's a nice problem to have!

Sweet! My first IM I was scared to take any time off and my 2nd I took a month off. This year to find the happy medium. :) Enjoy the rest of your season.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have very few events here but there were two this weekend that I had no chance to participate in due to my daughers' first horse competition. So proud of them - the youngest had no chance, but her sister took 3rd the first day (60cm) and 1st the 2nd day (60cm - different course). They have to memorize the course (12 jumps) that morning and do it in a set time (neither too fast nor too slow). For their first competition I was so proud of them. So for me, no 10K swim from Cancun to Isla Mujeres (saturday) nor Sprint Tri (that I've done the 1st and 2nd years offered) but instead focused on my kids. Nice change of pace.

So numbers tanked this past week but that's okay. I'm focusing more on swimming and starting tempo runs. This week:

Swim 10K. I had 2250 setup for this morning but a storm chased me out of the water so I either need to get back in the water (ugh! TWICE in 1 day???) or add to another day or just go for 6 days instead of 5. We'll see. If I do 10K it will be the most I've ever done in a week.

Bike and run are bread-and-butter - 5 hours run and 4 rides of bike (2x 40k and 2x 60k or 1x60k and 1x90k). I've been doing this same bike+run schedule for ever. I do need to start ramping up the rides though so I might go for 4-hour rude on Sunday.

Dayum, these are huge...

mai baybee

her sister on her way to 1st place (in her FIRST competition!)

getting the award, plaque and certificate for a day at a resort from her...hmmm... I don't know what the translation is. Paco, who runs everything.

below is after day 1 with her 3rd place ribbon.

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: May 28, 13 12:03
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 27 Edition [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
love the pictures!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Such a great accomplishment for the girls! And such a proud Mama! Your priorities are in the right spot...remember the stuff we do is just for fun, you're setting a wonderful example for them as they grow into healthy ladies. Keep it up.

I'd like to learn more about the Cancun - Mujeres 10k...is there a web page?

My week was OK - about 24k in the pool, took Thursday off completely. Nice to be back at it & not be too exhausted. Spent a good chunk of the weekend lounging by the pool & the rest of it being lazy or having fun with friends. Yesterday I was a complete waste of air & did absolutely nothing. Have some fairly rough mental stuff going on that I'm trying to fight through. I need to make a more consistent effort on the job front - either dig in & make something happen or give up.

Should be another productive week in the pool & I'd like to actually run or ride once or twice as well. We'll see if that happens. Have what should be a fun swim meet coming up this weekend as well, so that's something to look forward to.

AP - GOOD LUCK. You'll totally have all of us behind you rooting for you & checking on you!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your girls are beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pics. It brings back good memories of my youngster years when I was riding all over the place on a horse instead of a bike!

My last two weeks have been pretty crazy getting students through AP exams and then graduation on Sunday. Now busy working on final grades and comments which means that soon I will have time to get some consistent training in.

Have been good about getting in an hour of something a day but not enough running and biking. First tri of the season is Sunday and am excited but nervous as I'm not in very good running/biking shape yet. Will use it as a gauge to see where I need to focus my efforts over the next few months.

Sounds likes all the womens are putting in some awesome training and racing. It's great to have such a supportive community to share with!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My little brother took an AP test two weeks ago (US History) and I was GLUED to the phone waiting to find out how it went... as his time zone is 3 hrs ahead of mine, I think he called around 9 am my time. It was like waiting for race results :P

What do you teach?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Proud mama! As you should be.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope your little bro did well! AP US is a toughie because the kids have to know so much information and then write good essays. If he doesn't know already, students will be able to get their scores online in early July.

I teach Chemistry (Honors, AP, Organic & a Food Science class). I have a love/hate relationship with teaching AP Chem bc you have to teach to a test - kids and parents want 5s. So that means you are on a tight schedule to get through the material b4 the test date. We lost almost 2 weeks of classes due to Hurricane Sandy and that made it rough on the kids but they had the tools going into the exam so I think they did well. We had a big pizza party the night before the exam to calm nerves because they are always SOOOO nervous. I am constantly telling them the grade doesn't matter and it won't define who you are - the question is did you give it your best effort.

Btw - I saw on the main forum that you are racing your thesis advisor this weekend - HAVE FUN and I hope you kick his ass!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
re: racing - thanks!

When I student taught, I got to teach AP stats and calc sometimes - I loved it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great work everyone. And Andy - have a blast at Comrades. I am so jealous.

Goals last week
-6 runs - Missed my Monday run. After so many miles last weekend and the drive back from OH on Monday, I just didn't have it in me. Got in a total of 29 miles (recovery week)
-2 yoga/stretch sessions - done.

-plank challenge - done. Made it through this week with 3 per day. It likely won't last through this week as they are getting challenging.

This week goals are
- 6 runs including pacing/running at the Kettle Moraine 100 over the weekend.
- 2 yoga/stretch sessions
- continue with plank challenge
- less eating out and more eating the plan my nutritionist has written for me

Quote Reply