Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? May 23 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 23 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I graduated from physiotherapy! I have to keep doing my exercises, mainly as a preventative measure but no more appointments unless something gets hurt again.

I had a pretty good week even though I didn't meet all of my goals, which were: "swim x 4 (1 done), run x 4 (1 done), bike x 4 (3 x trainer, 1 x club ride, although that may become another trainer ride if the weather sucks) "

I did swim x 3, run x 3 and trainer x 4. Had to cut one of the trainer rides short because just trying to hold warm-up watts was a struggle.

This week's plan is swim x 3, run x 3, bike x 3 (2 x trainer, 1 x club ride). Let's see how it goes.

How are you TC?
Last edited by: Scheherazade: May 23, 16 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 23 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the graduation!

Goals for this week:
- no more after dinner desserts; I haven't been sleeping well and I think sugar is to blame. I did a good job with this. I had a 10:30 pm snack after my physics midterm, but I chose cheese and crackers rather than candy. Only one really bad food day, blamed on fatigue from 8:30-10:30 pm physics midterm. Boo.
- 10+ hrs dissertation work done with 10.5 :-)
- get a good grade on the physics midterm don't know yet, but I got 25/25 on the multiple choice!
- at least one day off from running nope
- swim 6x (1 done) done, including one long swim sort of... I was envisioning a 4k swim; I did two 2.5k swims which are longer than typical
- bike 3x done!!!(1 done!)

So all in all a pretty good week, and I had a super nice weekend that was half work, half relaxing. The best part of the week was a skype bday party for my salt lake city brother. Coordinated three time zones to make that family skyping work, and it was so good to "be" all together.

Goals this week
10 hrs dissertation work
6 swims
at least 1 day off from running
3 bikes

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Scheherazade! Thanks for getting us started TigerChik and good work on your goals from last week.

I was traveling for work but still had a good week and got in all the training I'd aimed for:
Quote:
2 pool swims, 2 runs (hills, long), 1 trainer ride, 3 strength sessions, and a ocean swim/bike brick

(notes: While in Boston, I did a negative split interval track workout because I couldn't find a good hill for repeats. I also modified my strength for hotel gyms but got in three really solid sessions).

I'm four weeks away from my 70.3 and starting to get excited! Today is a rest day but starting tomorrow I have mostly doubles for the next ~2.5 weeks before a taper. I've been feeling the effect of de-prioritizing my running to focus on the swim/bike -- my long runs feel harder and slower and my TTs are lagging. I am hoping I didn't misjudge that trade-off and that I've done enough to finish the 70.3 with a good run but it does stress me out a little. I won't start sharpening the run until July but I'm hoping to get in a few good long runs/bricks to boost my confidence before the the race.

I hope everyone has a great week!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Week was great until Sunday, got my swims in on Monday and Wednesday, ran on Tuesday. Took Thursday & Friday off training to hang out/entertain my 2 & 4 year-old nephews. Rode on Saturday & Sunday. Sunday's ride got cut short for me after a couple of people i was riding with took a wrong turn and started heading down to the river bottom, i tried to stop so i could get back on the correct path, was clipped on the left while stopping, so i went down. bike is okay, i managed to ride the 6 miles back to my car. went to urgent care and was diagnosed with a fractured elbow. I don't break easily, only other fracture was my pinky finger when i was a kid. so nothing but walking for me until i see the ortho next tuesday.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDCali - ouch! :-( That's no fun... hang in there.

Last week's plans:
- Coaching 2x - no games this weekend - yay! DONE
- Run 4x including Fri to work DONE and the run is getting longer and the pace is getting faster, so it's all going in the right direction... :-) and considering this is running with a pack on, I'm pretty happy with the progress. Thanks again to the SMRT womens who suggested ditching a ride for the run.
- Ride 1x DONE and got really close to a bunch of QOMs on Strava haha
- Core 1x FAIL but I'm actually ok with this...
- Inline 1x - yes it's time to start on this - aiming for 1hr on the 400m track. Won't do crossovers as I don't plan on doing them during the race. DONE and man that was hard. 15km of skating, and it easily took about 10 laps before I remembered how to do it properly haha... The vibration of the pavement thru the boots really sucks so I'll have to try and find some insoles. My goal is to match my inline distance with my long run distance. See if I can keep that up.

Overall pretty happy with how much I got done this past week. Dryland starts in 2 weeks (8th) after football ends. So that will take care of my core/drills session.

This week: 18 weeks to go until Berlin. I need to get to 25km long run by last weekend of June to have a chance at a non-sufferfest.
- Coaching 3x
- Run 4x including Fri long to work
- Ride 1x optional
- Inline 1x
- Core 1x optional - maybe try to add it to the end of an easy run

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 23 Edition [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am very sorry to hear about your fracture. Are you in much pain?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh no! Sorry to hear that you hurt yourself. Keep us updated on what the doctor says. (If it makes you feel any better/is even remotely encouraging I think Susie Cheetham broke her elbow at 70.3 South Africa and then came back and got second place at IM South Africa!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about the elbow SDCali. Hopefully it's a fast recovery.

House is ready as it can get - taking pics for listing it tomorrow. I hate change and love my house, but it's time for an upgrade. Haven't found anything we love though, so hoping it all goes smoothly and ends well.

On the upside, all the cleaning/packing/carrying has me at a steady weight.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 23 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you moving neighbourhoods too or wanting to stay in the current area?
Good luck with the house listing and sales process!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 23 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I've never had to sell before (went from an apartment to my house) so it feels very overwhelming.

Same area-ish. Staying Southside for sure & avoiding the new neighbourhoods - the school situation is an issue. Mostly the area is dictated by budget & my list of "must haves".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get well soon SDCali!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes! Sorry you borked yourself SDCali - hope you heal up quickly.

Congrats Scheherazade on your graduation from physio!

Last week's goals:
swim x 2: win
run x 3: win
foam roll x 1 (done)
core/strength x 4: win

The weekend was also a massive win - composite image of our home for 2 nights:

Did about 10km of paddling + a couple of short portages on Sunday afternoon to see the loop around Murphys Point Provincial Park including Noble Bay, Loon Lake and the south end of Hogg Bay before returning to our campsite on Big Rideau Lake, and went for a 2hr hike through the park trails after we packed up camp and paddled back to the boat launch on Monday. Didn't make it home until 10pm Monday night (and not to bed until 2am), but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and the summery, sunny warm weather all weekend.

This week's goals:
swim x 2
run x 4
core/strength x 3

Got out for a little under 11km of running last night and was pleased to discover that 4 days off had not made me forget how, nor had I lost all my fitness (this is a constant irrational fear when I take more than a day off). I really need to get a solid 3.5-4hr trail run in this Saturday - it'll be 3 weeks out from the 50k in June, so my last chance to really pile on the mileage.