Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? May 21
Quote | Reply
Tell us about it :-)

My goals had been to ride 2x - only did 1 - other goal was swim 2x; did 3 swims.
Totals: 11k swim, 30 mi bike, 60.8 miles run. Quite happy.
Goals this week: ride 3x (one done - mountain bike this AM and loved it!), swim at least twice, let running take care of itself, hip exercises 2x.
Eating - 6/7 good days last week. Figured out the key to not having eating issues on the weekend = eat like I do at work/school the rest of the week. Going to try that this week as I am working from home for half the week.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 21 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swam only once - :(
Biked 3x for a total of 101 miles (had a day off so an extra few bike miles got in there, yay!)
Ran 6x for a total of 28 miles - this week goal is 30.

This weeks goals:
Swim 2x
Bike 3x
Run 6x for a total of 30 miles (3x 3mi, 2x 6mi, 1x 9mi)

Started using fitday.com to watch my info... I noticed a lot of my work pants are too snug. So I got on the scale.
Main goal is eating healthy, I really only have about maybe 8lbs to lose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goal was to survive training (work-related) and I did, I graduated with my black belt in lean and was actually selected as top student (who knew?). I knew it was going to be an intense week and it was, so I got very little done. I managed to ride 2hrs on Thurs, did a 1hr trainer ride yesterday, and ran twice (2x1hr, one steady, one intervals). My diet went to hell as it usually does when I'm stressed and there's lots of food available, but I did make a conscious effort to avoid the snacks as best I could, and stuck to salads where ever possible. I give myself a C+ for diet.

Today is a holiday so I'm hoping to go for a long run later or a MTB ride....

This week looks like:
M - 2hr of ride or run; 1hr swim (seriously)
T - Run 35' aerobic
W - Run 45' w/intervals
R - Ride (Commute) 1hr; Run 35' aerobic
F - Run 45' tempo
St - Try to get in a bike ride with Kate ;-)
Sn - I might do a local 8k race - it's a hard one. Have to see if the sked permits.

Diet: Keep tracking. Make sure I am net negative for the day.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 21 [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lazed about for my recovery week: 3 swims and 2 runs. And endless hours spent trying to line up my front der...

Starting up my training cycle for Fall IM this week. 3 swims, 4 bikes, and 6 runs.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 21 [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I graduated with my black belt in lean and was actually selected as top student

AWESOME
congrats. What martial art?
I'm impressed. I can go forward in a straight line, but nothing that involves any coordination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the IM TX.
Good race. A bit hot. 88 ish degrees, and humid.
Swim - crowded at beginning - expected, and turnaround - expected, but last 1/3 of swim course was down a canal. Much more narrow. I got the crap beat out of me. Plus they started the wetsuit swimmers 10 min behind us, and the faster ones had all th cushioning on and just swam over the top of me. About 10 min slower than I predicted.

Bike - beautiful course. Very windy the second half, but not hilly. Areo position hurt after about 80 miles but too windy to sit up. Had a slight problem w/ nutrition in that a bump caused my aero bottle to flip over onto my electrolyte tabs and soak them. So I had to start w/ the Ironman perform, which surprising did ok. I finished about 10 min faster than predicted.

Run - mid afternoon, bright sun, very hot. Just a trot, walked through aide stations. Thank heavens for potato chips. Seemed to be the right thing for me. Also lots of water and perform. At about mile 18 I tripped over small crack in sidewalk and did a superman onto the pavement. Very pretty. Both knees an elbow and a palm were very bloody. Got up, walked a little and then started my shuffle again. Finished about what I expected.

FINISH - OK last 2 IM's didn't hear my name called, so I was really focused this year. Not only did he call my name, but also said "a nurse from Austin TX, you are an ironman", so now I have low blood sugar, very tired, bloody and emotional. Cross the line, a volunteer helps me, and says "Chrissie has your medal". That's right - Chrissie Wellington. I burst into tears. She's so amazing. She managed to tell me I was beautiful - very nice. What a class act!

I had 1 hour and 3 min PR. Glad it's done. I'm never doing another IM over 80 degrees.

Now for a rest week.
Happy training everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 21 [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your finish and a huge PR! How neat to get your medal from CW, too.

Why do you think you PR'ed so much? I know you train a lot - did you train far more for this race than the last, or was this course different? I am just curious.

I am psyched for you and have been waiting for you to reply :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that means a lot.

The PR was due in large part to training - esp on the bike. I did much more (still not enough) than previous IM. Also, first IM was Wisconsin in 2006 - 50 degrees and raining. Not a good day. Second was Louisville in 2010 - 95 degrees out, and they ran out of water at two bike stations which lead to huge stomach issues and walking second half of run.
Saturday things went well aside from a few hiccups. More biking and more swimming in training than I'd done previously- although that didn't show in my swim time :(
It was still a very slow marathon for me, so I think if I can get a more moderate temp race, I can take even more time off.

Also, since I'm so running dominant, I think my next IM, i'll need to cut back on the running and get my biking up to 200-250 mpw. I'm thinking IM AZ in 2013 or 2014.
Last edited by: nad: May 22, 12 8:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:
- swim x 4 including 1 OWS: WIN. the OWS didn't actually happen until yesterday, but since it was a long weekend i'm counting it.
- cycle x 4 for over 125km total: WIN. got 126.8km by sunday evening, including an hour and a half of mountain biking!
- run x 6: WIN including the 2 trail runs i wanted to do.
- core/strength x 4: WIN
- get out paddling on the long weekend: FAIL. combination of too busy and too knackered.

time for a crash taper before my first race of the year - a sprint-and-a-bit (750m/30k/7.5k) on sunday.

this week's goals:
- swim x 5 including 1 OWS (done yesterday) and the race swim
- cycle x 4 including a long hill-fest (done yesterday) and the race
- run x 6
- core/strength x 3 but no lifting heavy, mostly just mobility stuff
- get lots of rest and sleep
- fix the fingernail nick i put in my wetsuit yesterday; have already found a local retailer who carries cement, but i can't get there until friday

congrats on a huge PR nad! enjoy your recovery :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Not a martial art - lean. This is like six sigma on steroids. Look up: The Toyota Way, Lean Manufacturing, Lean Processes. Takes what is a traditionally analytic field and actually makes it useful. Our small class saved over $14M in costs at our respective businesses. Green belt takes a while and very few folks go on to do black belts in lean. Even fewer do their master black belts, which takes 2-3 yrs, and you have to be invited. Apparently the top student from each class gets invited... ;-)

FWIW, I did Aikido for 5yrs, and I loved it but my hips didn't.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 21 [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a neat race distance.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a familiar one, too - i've never done a "proper" 750m/20k/5k sprint, but i've done a couple of others at this modified distance. have another one in june, which will be the first tri that i've actually done twice (same course and distance), so it'll be interesting to see what kind of improvement i've made since 2010 :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Way to go, nad! Congrats on the huge PR.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic! That's awesome work - enjoy your time off now!!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What were your splits and final time?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim was an embarrassing 1:31 - like I said, I really thought I'd be closer to a 1:20 (which in your world is still slow)
Bike 6:17 - I'm happy w/ it considering headwind, but I think I can easily take some time off it with some real bike training.
Run 4:43 - walked every water station, fell down. I really think I can take up to an hour off this. Marathon PR is 3:14, so a 3:45 should be doable in better weather, ie closer to 70-75 degrees.
Finishing time 12:44

I'm really happy with the race and my time. I did PR by an hour. I just think I can do better. As we all do. That's why we keep racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. You can definitely get the run time way closer to your open PR!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it was good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Walking and talking and falling :-(

...off of a treadmill, no less :-(((

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 21 [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no! Sprained, broken... ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Broken fifth metacarpal (boxer's fracture).

No fishy activities and no cycling either for another two weeks. Running in the soft cast isn't bad since the bone is supported.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with recovery. good as new by 4 July , let's hope :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least you've got one sport. I hope it heals quickly!

Nice looking gym, btw.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This week I finally got my training goals in line, and I am really starting to look forward to this season. My racing schedule is a bit heavy but it will be fun.

http://www.jacembry.com
Team GQ6 Powered By Wattie Ink
http://www.wattieink.com http://www.gq-6.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! That's an awesome PR. At least you were injured during an IM and not doing something silly like walking on a treadmill....oops....sorry Sally ;-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply

Prev Next