Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? May 14 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?
I hope all the ST moms had a good mother's day yesterday.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 14 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals this week: give blood (tried twice last week and my iron was a hair too low both days, so I got a multivitamin and have stopped drinking tea), swim 5x, ride 2x, day off from running.

Iron was still too low, but I tried. Met the other goals. I am now back in Maine for the summer - working from home on research stuff.

M: 6.3 mi run + 525 yd swim
T: 6.6 mi run + 575 yd swim
W: 6.9 mi run + 300 yd swim + 9.3 mi bike
T: 6.5 mi run + 825 yd swim
F: 1.2 mi bike + 5 mi run + 575 yd swim
S: off
S: 7.8 mi run (hill workout) + 0.8 mi hike for mother's day

totals 2800 yd swim, 10.5 mi bike, 39.1 mi run

goals for this week: 4 swims, 3 rides, day off from running. Academic goal is to plan how I am going to get all my work done this summer, and get started on it :P

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, Women!

Missed you guys last week. Wildflower was HARD! OMG it was really hard. It always is, and it didn't disappoint. That said, I managed to emerge from the water in around the top 10%F. Woot! Then I rode my 56 miles at around 60% effort, (1) because I was under trained, and (2) because I knew the run was going to whomp me. I finished the ride without too much drama. I made it up Nasty Grade with only 1 stop when my heart rate went wild. I think it was 90 degrees when I did the climb. It felt like a furnace. I was pretty tapped for the last 14 miles of the ride, but came across a candy bar at an aid station and then I was better. When I left T2 for the "run" I told my husband I'd see him around 6pm. I finished at 5pm! After about a mile of walking I found some energy and managed to get it done and run down the finish shoot. So, my time was pathetic - 8:11:38, but I did it and lived. No post-race puking or fainting, which seemed to be happening left and right. A lot of folks in the medical tent. THEN I did the treacherous 1 mile slog up the hill to my car. My DH pushed my bike for me. Heather Jackson won the race and it was fun to watch the pros set up the transition and do their swim. The pros finished their swim before I even started mine.

The rest of the week was recovery. I did 2 runs - a 3 miler and a 6 miler, and a ton of stretching. I wasn't sore at all from the race (because I did the whole thing at 60-75% effort), but I was completely drained of energy. Walking up a flight of stairs made me want to take a nap. By Thursday I had rebounded and then this last weekend my energy was fully restored and I went loco and cleaned out garages and my son's room and started painting it. My kiddo heads to San Jose State University next month to play Water Polo (oh, and get a degree) so we finally get to purge the rest of the whatever-the-heck is still in that room. The kid lived in the same room for 19 years so you can only imagine how packed in he was.

Hope everybody else is solid!

Cheers!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can keep trying to donate if your iron is low? Any time my iron was low and couldn't donate, they said I had to wait the same amount of time as if I had donated before trying again.

I got a great card from my 6 year old "I love my mom because when I ask her to snuggle she always says yes!!!!!!!".

To make it exercise related - I did my first run in a couple months yesterday. 3km, but it felt good and my back didn't hurt at all. Now I just need to keep doing my physio exercises and follow my new rules for running.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 14 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You can keep trying to donate if your iron is low? Any time my iron was low and couldn't donate, they said I had to wait the same amount of time as if I had donated before trying again.

They've always told me it's a 24 hour deferral, and it's been low by a point (37, needs to be 38) so maybe that's why.

That's an adorable card. Congrats on the first run!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 14 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
When I left T2 for the "run" I told my husband I'd see him around 6pm. I finished at 5pm!

"honey, you're home early!"
congrats on the finish :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Womens!

I hope all the moms had a beautiful day.

Thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik -- sorry about your iron levels, hope you get that sorted soon and happy (academic) summer :D

SLO, congratulation on the race and the early return on the run. And huge congrats to your kiddo, y'all must be so proud.

Glad you're feeling better edbikebabe, love that card too!

I didn't really know what my goals were last week since I hadn't coordinated with my coach yet but I ended up with 20 miles run, 90 biked, and 13500Y swum. That is more swimming than I've ever swum but I felt great (3 pool, 2 ocean). The volume is up but it feels balanced and my coach and I are on the same page.

This week is lighter and I'm going to jump into a local Oly this weekend so including the race I'll have 4 bikes (2 easy), 4 swims (only one pool!), 3 runs (2 easy) yoga, strength, and PT.

Happy training to all.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 14 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hurray for the run. And what a lovely card!

SLO, well done on Wildflower and for arriving early ;-)

Trying to keep my head down and get through my workouts at the moment; the nice weather makes sitting outside and drinking a beer with my friends too easy so I need to keep that in check.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As always, thanks for getting us started Dr TC. SLO, what a great job on the race. edbikebabe, what a sweet card. Kids say the darndest things!

I've been lurking during the past few crazy (for me) months. Flu (probably variant A) in February, the demands of starting up a small business and more contract offers than I can handle and still do a good job, a couple of trips to docs with an elderly parent--I thought I was going to be kicking back after my retirement....

So no surprise that I came down with flu (again, probably variant B), which devolved into strep throat, which devolved into walking pneumonia. Uggh! Finally got on what appears to be the correct antibiotics yesterday and am finally starting to feel better. Besides yogurt, what suggestions do womens have for keeping the yeast beasties at bay with all these antibiotics?

Needless to say training when to shit and I had to DNS two different tris. I did manage to get in my first cycling time trial under my newly minted USAC license. I've decided to focus on the cycling this year. With everything else going on, it's just too much to train in three sports. And I'm tired of hitting the running wall with limitations due to my back injury. I've loaded up my race calendar with TTs and we shall see.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 14 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
glad you are back to healthy!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not there yet, but finally making progress.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 14 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hurray for TTs. Hope you are back to 100% soon.

Would things like kimchi/kombucha/aged or stinky cheese work? (I have no personal experience but these are all fermented foods so... *shrug*)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week of no exercising went well, going back to work was exhausting, so was glad to not be working out.
Getting back into things this week: swam Monday & Wednesday, track Tuesday and tonight, mostly walking, planning to ride on Saturday and make a trip to Disneyland on Sunday (good walking exercise).

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 14 Edition [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am glad you can work out again! Disney sounds like a blast.

Quote Reply