Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? May 13 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope the ST moms had a good day yesterday.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 13 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goals were 4 of each sport. Didn't get on the bike at all. Didn't do any particularly long swim (but did 8000 yds this morning since I didn't get a long swim in on the weekend like I'd planned). Overall a good week and I was killing it at work. Also, no eating issues!

M - 13.1 mi run + 1700 yd swim
T - 4300 scm swim (OUTSIDE!!!!!! outdoor scm pool) + 8 mi run
W - 8 mi run
T - 11 mi run + 4600 scm swim (inside scm pool)
F - 5500 yd swim
S - 8.5 mi run
S - 8 mi run

also did shoulder exercises 2x and hip exercises 3x.
Goals for this week:
10k OW nationals Saturday ... first goal is to finish... second goal is to finish fast (< 2:40 is B goal, if I swim 2:30 I'm quitting my job to swim full time ;-) I really don't have any particularly good way to estimate a finish time but 2:30-2:40 is in my head.
Thus taper for race is the goal, and not run too much.
Oh and keep doing well with food :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 4 with no pressure: WIN
Bike x 3: Eeh, I was on bikes more than 3 times, but this is still a fail. Less than 20km total!
Swim x 4: WIN
Core/strength x 4: WIN
Stop eating everything in sight: FAIL. I really pigged out at the Mother's Day brunch we put on for my Mum yesterday.

So we'll just call that a recovery week. The weekend weather felt more like mid-March than mid-May, which totally derailed my plans for long bike rides - I don't play well with 50kph winds and intermittent rain/sleet/snow/hail. Found I was also getting tired quickly while training, so guess I needed to take it a bit easy.

This week's goals:
Run x 6
Bike x 4
Swim x 4 incl 1 open water
Core/strength x 4
Nutrition back on track

I really, really must get some serious bike training in. I've spent a total of 4 minutes on my tri bike outside since last September, have a sprint tri in under 2 weeks, and a half iron tri in 6 weeks!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Goals last week were 6 runs (including doing my long run as a split run per the coach), 3 yoga/stretch/foam roll, 3 OT sessions per day, and follow my training plan. I'd call it a success with just under 40 mpw. I am still trying to work out the distances for my runs based on my loops so a couple runs were a bit long but nothing to crazy. I also did run easy when it said easy, although I may have ran too easy a few times (if that is possible) as I ran with friends. One of my yoga/stretch sessions could barely be called a session but I am calling it one for this week.

Goals this week are very similar - 6 runs, 2 yoga/stretch sessions, start the plank challenge, and following the training plan. The split run should be a bit easier this weekend as I'll be at the American Triple T watching a friend race. We were supposed to be teammates but my broken wrist prevents that. Since she will be gone on two rides for the two OLY, it should be just enough time for me to get in 2 8 mile runs on Saturday. Plus the area is beautiful. I can't wait to explore some of the trails.

On the wrist front, I see my ortho tomorrow morning. I am hoping I will get the ssplint off and can resume using my arm for normal things......

Hope everyone had a great mom's day and an amazing training week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck in CA, Tigerchik! And good luck at the ortho, Instigator.

Raced my first tri since last summer and had a blast. Also met most of my training goals, so all in all a good week. This week I buckle down and get all my planned workouts in, including strength and stretching.

I'm debating some open water swim races next weekend. Distances of 1K to 5K, but no wetsuits and water will probably be in the 60s. Brrr....

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great run week for me.
I ran the best run I've ran in forever on Mother's Day, I guess it helps to be in a hurry to go get over to your mom's house for dinner. 7 glorious miles in a quite speedy time for me, bu the best part is I felt like a MACHINE and felt like I could have thrown down 5 more miles at that speed. It was such a rush.
biking was sad, it was rainy during the week and FREEZING over the weekend and other stuff got in the way, so I was only on the bike MTW, with Wed. a 10 mi TT that I'm happy with, 22.5mph ave.
I swam masters on Fri. night
Ran M, Th, F, Su.

This week's goal is to run 30 miles - week before last was 28.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 13 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - Nevada, actually - 60* sounds cold!!! Why on earth is that not wetsuit legal?!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was good - I posted my RRs (BMO 1/2 marathon + PIH 50k) here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4566372

This week: Rest from the 50k and get back to running by ~Wed or so. We have a long weekend coming up so I will get in at least one 2h30 run and a few other 6-10k runs. Now the hard part - TAPERING!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good taper week - I haven't been obsessing *TOO* much about Ironman Texas on May 18, although I am a little anxious about whether it's going to be wetsuit legal or wetsuit optional (with a 10-minute delayed start for those who choose to wear one). If it's legal, I feel that I need one to keep from getting too beat up and because I'm so much slower without one, but I'm really hoping that it's optional so I can go without. One of those things that's out of my control.... I'm also concerned about the weather, it's been unusually cool here but supposed to hit 89 on race day - another thing that's out of my control. I had a lot of problems dealing with heat last year and with no time to get acclimated, I'm resigning myself to possibly slowing down my already slow pace. I've only done 1 IM (Texas 2011) and don't know if I'll ever do another, so I really wanted to do better this time. I'm also so disappointed for a good friend with whom I've been training for the last 6 months - she went out for a little ride on Saturday, crashed, and had to have surgery on her hand/arm yesterday. It kind of puts my worries in perspective, doesn't it? On a side note, any suggestions for a get-well gift? She's done IMTX before and was talking about buying some stuff (t-shirts, jacket) at the expo this year - I don't want to get anything that says IMTX 2013, and I'm debating about something without the date - will she like it or just be reminded of what she missed? I also thought about some gift cards for a restaurant - I'd take a meal, but cooking isn't one of my strengths, and I know her kids have allergies and are picky.

I volunteered at a women's only super-sprint yesterday, it's always an awesome race with so much support and encouragement for all the newbies who come out.

I'm rambling - maybe I am a little more nervous than I'm admitting! Or maybe I just handle it better when I stay off Slowtwitch and Facebook with all the reminders ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 13 Edition [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe a book and a good bottle of wine as a gift? I think if I were injured things for entertainment purposes would be good. Even fashion magazines or other "girly" stuff she might not normally buy for herself might be entertaining and fun.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting back into the swing (accidentally typed swim first ) of things. Should be getting a schedule from my coach soon to really get me back on track.
Last week- Spin class (hosted by local tri shop), Swim/Run Brick, and bike/run brick (got a flat, and put on a little clinic for my teammates who were with me, surprisingly very few guys asked if I needed help until I was just about done).
This week-
T- swim
W- Spin class
Th- Swim/run brick
F- Run
Sat- OW swim clinic at Castaic Lake (tigerchik will you be there?) going as an official, not an athlete.
Sun- Check out local Greek Festival, and go for a ride.

Good luck at OW nats TC...

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 13 Edition [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Sat- OW swim clinic at Castaic Lake (tigerchik will you be there?) going as an official, not an athlete.

no - open water natls are in in Vegas. Have a good time!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:

Quote:

Interesting that masters nats are the same weekend as USA Swimming nationals, at least for open water. Too bad, was looking forward to possibly meeting another STer there.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you actually swimming? And when? Can we track you? this is awesome...

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 13 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh, I am really touched! There is no live tracking... I guess it is just not that popular :-)

The swim is four loops of a 2500m course in Lake Mead in Henderson, Nevada
http://www.lv10k.com/index.html

I am flying back that night (it didn't occur to me that there might be things to do in Vegas aside from swim... not interested in gambling or getting married!) so I'll update from the airport. :-)

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 13 Edition [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Quote:

Interesting that masters nats are the same weekend as USA Swimming nationals, at least for open water. Too bad, was looking forward to possibly meeting another STer there.

Yeah, that would have fun! Now I see why everyone was thinking California...

ETA - just looked at the qualifying times for those championships. 16:43 1650, I am a good three minutes too slow.
There are only 20 women registered for the 10k, but 40 men. The women's 5k has 35. Small race...

Last edited by: tigerchik: May 13, 13 20:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a great week. A few good runs but then my leg was really sore so I've taken the last 4 days off. I'm talking to a personal trainer in the morning and will keep resting and gentle stretches. It is feeling better so I'm hoping another day or two off will kick it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 13 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice RR on the main forum, AP. I've sent a link to a friend of mine that has Comrades in her sights.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took longer for me to mentally overcome that little bike crash than I expected... and I'm still between projects for work, so sitting at home twiddling my thumbs... I don't do well without pattern in my life. You'd think "wow, no excuses! lots of time for long workouts" but alas... SUPER unmotivated. I miss my spin class and being able to hop on the treadmill after, as well as the strength training I was doing with a coach. On top of that, the pool at my apartment complex (one of the big reasons we moved here in April) has been under construction for 3 weeks and is still going... Right as summer starts in CA? WTF >.> Okay. No more whining/excuses.

I took 10 miles worth of walks leading up to a local 5k on Sunday, which I finished in a (good for me) 33 minutes. It was hillier and hotter than expected, but a nice run after 3 full weeks off. Granted, I just about committed justifiable homicide when I reached the finish to hear "we're out of water". UMWHAT? Thankfully, I'd had the good sense to pack waterbottles in a cooler in the car, and those weren't so far away.

Seems like a nothing week, but that one little run was a HUGE kick in the ass for me. Kyle also pointed out that Womens Health magazine is promoting a "run one mile a day" - #WHRunOne - for the first half of May. I learned about it late, but want to do it for all of May. I know that once I get going on the treadmill or outside, it will never be just one!

This week's plans:
First, email my coach b/c my schedule has changed (switching swim days to MWF and bike/run days to others).

Monday: rest/recover (3 weeks off = super sore muscles even after a derpy little run)
Tuesday: Back. In. The. Saddle. Go after that U-turn that brought me down and get outside. Goal of 10 mi. One mile run.
Wednesday: My first masters swim class!!! Kyle found a local group we can work with (two separate groups for our different levels at 6:30am 3x/week!). One mile run.
Thursday: I remember bricks. I /liked/ bricks. 45 min bike ride + 1 mile run(hopefully more).
Friday-Sunday: Rest (family stuff) - try and get in a jog on the beach, maybe some boogieboarding if the weather's good.

One month to my next race :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
(it didn't occur to me that there might be things to do in Vegas aside from swim... not interested in gambling or getting married!) so I'll update from the airport. :-)

Smart girl ^_~ (I have lost WAY too many hours of my life to picking out invitations).

Will be thinking good thoughts for you! Gogo TigerFish!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 13 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can find time and cash, go see Cirque Du Soleil. They are amazing athletes!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 13 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
If you can find time and cash, go see Cirque Du Soleil. They are amazing athletes!

On a tri note, Andy Potts' wife was a Cirque du Soleil athlete!
I had a good week. I ended up getting a new bike frame, with help from Kristi (a dam fine member of the womens ;) ), and yesterday was my birthday.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 13 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Truly! "O" was incredible. "Love" rocks if you are a Beatles fan (I was grinning ear-to-ear the whole time). They weekday daytime shows are far cheaper, and there isn't a bad seat in the house for either.

Don't do Phantom - it's a weird Vegas rushed version - squished down, super fast... loses the drama IMHO.

Also: HOLY CRAP SUNBLOCK. The last time I went, my hotel pool (Aria) was triangulated by 3 all-glass hotels that SUPER intensified the sun - after one hour, I was exhausted (it had NOTHING to do with it being 10am and having cranberry-vodka for breakfast...)

And you can get your gambling in the airport ^_~ I spent $5 in an airport slot machine, won 50 cents, took my money and called it a good day. Not that I'm risk averse or anything like that.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 13 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose I'm guilty of "lurking" these threads, and haven't posted yet. Any protocols or just sharing? I've been at it since Nov to prep fro Raleigh 70.3 - race this past week and got 3rd AG. Woo hoo. I will post next week if I'm accepted! :) 2 weeks until the big dance.
Quote Reply

Prev Next