Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? March 4 Edition
Quote | Reply
Tell us about it!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 4 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M - 5 mi run + 15 mi bike + 4000 yd swim
T - 8 mi run
W - 5 mi run + 18 mi bike
T - 8 mi run + 1000 yd swim
F - 35 mi bike + 4500 yd swim
S - 45 mi bike
S - 8 mi run + 10 mi bike

Also 4 miles of walking in warmups/cooldowns. Totals: 9.5k swim, 123 mi bike, 34 mi run.

Good week training-wise and school went pretty well too - I submitted two articles for publication (they have to go through the review process, so there's a slim chance they'll be rejected and never see the light of day, but one must start somewhere) and have a third and fourth nearly ready to go. :-) I had a test that went pretty well too.

Friday and Saturday's workouts WORE ME OUT but it was nice to get outside in the nice weather (read: it wasn't raining!). Actually, I was tired all week, and was drinking far more units of caffeine per day than is good for a person. I slept in a bit this morning (which means a run but no swim GRRRRRRR). I think that helped a little but I am still cranky.

Food was so-so. I tried 2 fear foods, and it was scary and I would like now to curl back into my little safe shell. Even though they were good. Humph. Was 5/7 on doing ok with food.

My run goal was to keep the running short. I will give myself a D. 8 miles is not short (but it is not long either :-) one good thing about cycling more is it made me too tired to run on Saturday! HMMMM!
Goals for this week
5 swims
3 rides
keep total running under 35 miles
caffeine only twice a day (e.g. before workout and midday) not three times a day (blushes)
Be at gym at 6am or earlier each weekday

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Mar 4, 13 11:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my PT person. She's great. She's also a runner and we totally hit it off. My first session was last week but with a sub. This person will be my 'regular' PT person...
I got on the bike 5x last week.
Went running 2x, for 1.5 miles each time. I got in 2x on strength training
swam 1x.

Next week the PT folks are sending me for running video gait analysis. I'm stoked. Between me and my PT, she was shocked to hear this was my first running injury. It also made no sense to us that it occurred while I had decreased mileage and frequency. Only thing we could possibly come up with was some falls during cylocross race I did about 4 weeks prior. Grasping at straws, but thinking that might have changed my gait enough to get this injury to show up.

I also got kineseo tape - but it doesn't seem to stay on very well. Any hints? She applied it with extra adhesive, since I was going swimming that evening, but it didn't even last 10 mins in the pool... I applied a new piece the next day (Sat. am) but I wound up removing it Sun. morning as it was already coming off.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 4 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am so psyched that you can run again!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks!!! It's SO SHORT and practically nothing but I was cleared for running as long as it doesn't hurt, which right now means 1.5-2 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last week's goals were:
2 swims
2 rides
4 runs
2-3 strength (including PT)

And I got it all done as written and even managed to not poke my eye with a spoon during my 3 hour solo trainer ride. I know that really isn't that long but after about 1.5 hours I am mentally over it. I had been doing my longer rides with a group but I can no longer attend the classes so I was solo for the first time this weekend. It may have been the longest solo trainer rider I have ever done in my 10 years of training.

I also graduated PT again (for my wrist) and was told by my ortho surgeon that I am cleared to go back to doing whatever I wanted to do and he doesn't want to ever see me again :)

This week's goals are:
2 swims
3 rides*
7 runs (I am once again in a run streak challenge with a goal of running 1 mile every day this month)
2-3 strength (and keeping up my PT)

* The second of the 3 rides is the Sub-9 Death March (http://www.sub9deathmarch.com/) and will include 70+ miles of gravel, dirt, and paved roads and single track while I cycle around rural Indiana on my mountain bike with my partner in search of 17 cemeteries. The 3rd of the rides will be my return to the single track of brown county. That is if I don't get lost on the death march and/or can sit on a bike after a 70 mile ride in early March.

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's success last week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What type of tape did she use? I have had good luck with Rock Tape applies with adhesive spray. I usually get 3-4 days (or 1-2 swims) before its starts to peel.

And happy to hear you are on your way to recovery!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week: Shosholoza.
M: 6k EZ with strides (DONE); 30min Core/Stretch/Plyo (6) -> DONE
T: 19k (am) + 11k (pm) (30/36) -> DONE and felt awesome
W: 6k-8k aerobic (pm); 30min Core/Stretch/Plyo (8/42) -> Only the run was "d"one
R: 19k (am); 1hr ride (19/61) -> 8k run and 1hr ride so small "d" done
F: OFF (maybe a swim!) -> OFF was DONE :-)
St: 40k (40/101) -> DONE - ended up being 42k in the cold pouring rain. It was pretty miserable, but it was 4h10 - that's 10min faster than Seattle (with a comparable course, some good hills in the last 10k of this route).
Sn: 20k (20/121) -> Only did 10k so my girl could ride her bike with me, but felt a lot better than I expected.

So was ~15k short of where I wanted to be but I'm not complaining, that Sat 42k run was the clincher that I was on the right track in balancing rest & running. With the Chuckanut 50k coming up in <2 weeks, I think I am really close to being ready, just don't want to blow the taper.

This week's theme: Steady as she goes...
M: 6k EZ
T: 11k (am) + 11k (pm)
W: 8k with strides (am) + 8k (lunch)
R: 1hr ride +
F: 8k with strides (am)
St: OFF - Flying to TX to visit coach so maybe an optional short run in WARM weather!
Sn: Whatever coach gives me - I expect ~20-30k trail run.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even thought I missed one run because I'd only gotten 3 hours of sleep, I kicked some ass this week. I celebrated my 44th birthday by doing a 15k race. I not only met my pace goal, I blew it out of the water. I rarely feel this good about a race performance. It was a nice way to celebrate.

Total mileage: 24 - Kept is low to get ready for the 15k race

This next week is a bit of recovery for the next two days then big ramp up again. Double run on Friday and big double run on Sunday.. My next race is a half marathon in 3 weeks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 4 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A belated happy birthday, and congratulations!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- run x 6 over 50km total: WIN
- bike x 3: WIN + 2 - OCD is screaming because I did 99.7km. I could easily have managed another .3 somewhere!
- swim x 4: FAIL. Roads too dangerous to get to the pool on Tues.
- core/strength x 4: WIN

This week's goals:
- run x 6 / 50+km
- bike x 4
- swim x 4
- core/strength x 4

I'd really like to believe the forecast for this coming weekend - got a 65k off-road cycling race in less than 3 weeks and have only rode a bike outside twice this year!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Last week was good.
4 x swim
3 x bike
2 x run
1 x eliptical
4 x strength/flexibility

I am most excited about the swimming :) I did the drills that you and AW recommended.

TC--The fist drill went much better than I thought it would. I liked that a lot, and I was pumped that not only did I not sink, I was still moving just fine. Cool. Single arm extended was not as good--right side is fine, but there's something weird on my left. My timing? My strength? I can't figure it out, but my arm wants to snake on the left. I was surprised I didn't feel this when I did the fist drill. Any thoughts on what that might mean? The scooter drill went OK. I got more tired doing this than the single arm w/ arm extended, go figure. It was still a good drill and helped with the lats thing. Still felt the left arm was weaker than the right here.

AW--I noticed that I was looking up a bit more than I thought I was. I'm worried about crossing over and seem to be checking for that more than I should. Definitely changes my body position. I need to develop a better kinesthetic sense of that rather than needing to check a visual. I also really focused on my elbow position, especially when I got tired, and that really has been helping. I find myself literally imagining a barrel a couple times each lap. Thank you ladies. It's really great to have such expertise a few key strokes away :)

OK. New question: how do you do a flip turn in flippers? The flippers are awesome--they feel sooooo goood, but then I'm down at the other end of the pool "so fast" and turning without a flip turn in the flippers is like Austin Powers turning a golf cart in a small hallway, and I can't even begin to give you a good analogy for what I must have looked like trying to do a flip turn in those things. It wasn't pretty. Help? If all else fails our pool switches to long course in April. Man, never thought I'd be happy thinking about LCM;)

And I love my finis swimp3. Game changer. I don't want to grow dependent on it, but I feel like it will help me get over the bump and get some serious yardage in. I do need to think about which songs I listen to while swimming though, as some just seem too fast, and I find myself trying to swim to the beat. Not good.

The other fun thing is that my girls went swimming with me yesterday, and they love it so much. They are little fishes, and I'm so happy that they'll grow up being strong swimmers. It's fun for us all to be figuring it out together:)

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 4 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome, I saw the giant mug and was very jealous ;-) Good on ya on your time! Happy belated B-day too!

Ap

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 4 Edition [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Single arm extended was not as good--right side is fine, but there's something weird on my left. My timing? My strength? I can't figure it out, but my arm wants to snake on the left. I was surprised I didn't feel this when I did the fist drill. Any thoughts on what that might mean?

Can you describe what you mean by 'snake' ?
Is your elbow dropping? That would be my first guess.

Good work!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, for fuck's sake! Flippers? Ugh. Fins. I meant fins. You all are being very patient with me:) I have to pull my head out of my ass soon; this is getting ridiculous. I also blew off my accountant today. Just completely spaced it. Nice.

By "snaking" I mean it feels difficult to pull straight back, so then I don't. I don't feel this on the right. I think it has something to do with my timing. I have never used a metronome, but I bet if I did, I'd see that I pull faster on my right. I think in my head I want to keep a rhythm that I probably just can't maintain on my left. Or something like that? To pull and not have my hand/arm do that I think my stroke would end up being--hmm, I don't even know the language to describe what I'm feeling. I'm just uneven in strength, but I want my timing to be the same. Does that make sense? So I think my hand starts to snake, because I want to have less of a catch to get my arm through the water faster.

I'll pay more attention tomorrow and see if I can figure out a better way to describe it. I'm obviously mentally challenged today :)

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pull shouldn't be totally flat - it's a little bit of an 's' stroke.
I think you're bound to have one arm feel a bit weaker; I do; most humans have a slight strength imbalance. Unless you have one stick arm and one Popeye arm, you're probably ok - just keep swimming :-)
I also wonder if your kick "scissors" a bit (legs opening too wide on one side). The trouble with swimming is it's all linked and so an issue with one arm may not be an arm thing, but a rotation thing.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 4 Edition [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure - it just says 'kineseology tape' on the back and 'made in Japan'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
The pull shouldn't be totally flat - it's a little bit of an 's' stroke.
I think you're bound to have one arm feel a bit weaker; I do; most humans have a slight strength imbalance. Unless you have one stick arm and one Popeye arm, you're probably ok - just keep swimming :-)
I also wonder if your kick "scissors" a bit (legs opening too wide on one side). The trouble with swimming is it's all linked and so an issue with one arm may not be an arm thing, but a rotation thing.

Haha, TC, you are setting me up like a champ right now. And I am trying so hard to be a good girl;) I'll try to pay attention to that this afternoon.

Strong work on your papers, btw. Sending two out in one week is quite an accomplishment. I can't ever have two going that concurrently. Impressive.

I think I remember you saying a while back that you mostly do sprints because of school; maybe I'm misremembering that. If not, why do you train so hard, lady? Lots of 2/days in that schedule. Just cause you're hard core like that? :)

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crappy week was crappy. Tuesday's 30 min strength training session with my PT turned into stretching, since I was so sore. Easy spin class on Wednesday. Took Thrs and Fri off to rest up for a ski weekend... and got sick (sinus cold - ew). Still got some good runs in on Saturday (felt stronger in my legs thanks to the running/biking), but couldn't go out Sunday and ended up working from home Monday and visiting a doctor (the joy of getting two therapy referrals - behavioral and physical).

This week's goals:
Tuesday: 30 min strength + light cardio
Wednesday: spin class
Thursday: 5k run
Friday: spin class
Saturday: bike ride
Sunday: 8k race
Monday: spin class

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello all
I'm finally back from holiday. Went to Napa / San Fran - had an amazing time. I didn't realize it when I went to San Fran, but they were having Escape from Alcatraz. I kept seeing tri bikes everywhere and knew something was up. I was very excited to see the transition area on my way to Napa. The sad news is that a 46 yo man from Austin (where I live), died on the swim. As far as they know, he jumped in the 50 degree water and had a massive MI. Very upsetting.

I ran Napa. Beautiful! The weather was ok, got warm when the sun came out around mile 17, but went back behind clouds by 22 and was ok the rest of the run. I decided to try to pace a friend to a BQ and just take it easy. He didn't make it. When the sun came out he was toast (haha) I got in a very nice training run. Legs slightly sore today (quads) but hope to be back running by tomorrow.
Only negative of this race - for anyone wanting to do it in the future - is that the road was curvey, and so it was very slanted. Very hard on the calves - which was my concern going in, I had a calf injury. Which I felt all during the race, but haven't felt since. So that's a plus.

One week of recovery this week - which I hope means lots of swimming and some biking, maybe some short runs, and back to running normal next week in prep for Boston.

Happy training everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 4 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woah...did I just read that right? You were pacing a male friend to BQ, and you were taking it easy? Damn, girl, that's some strong work. I am very, very impressed:) What's your goal for Boston?

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think I remember you saying a while back that you mostly do sprints because of school; maybe I'm misremembering that. If not, why do you train so hard, lady? Lots of 2/days in that schedule. Just cause you're hard core like that? :)

Nope, I'll race whatever distance. I just like to train :-) they never feel like two-a-days because I do them back to back... this morning I went right from running into the pool.

In Reply To:

Haha, TC, you are setting me up like a champ right now. And I am trying so hard to be a good girl;)

Yeah, I couldn't think of any other way to say it. "Legs scissoring instead of fluttering" but then you would have asked what scissoring means!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a quick search for rocktape on Amazon. They have a ton of cool colors and patterns if that interests you. They also make a tape specifically for water sports that is twice as sticky. I have never used that one but if its twice as sticky as their normal version, its pretty sticky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It helps that we're all old, so our qualifying times aren't blazing fast.
If I feel healthy going into Boston, I'll aim for around 3:30. I turn 50 next year, and have a late in the year birthday. So as of Jan first, I'll be in 50-54 yo age group for tri - so I'm focusing on that now. Then when I hit 50 for running, I want to try to run a 3:10 as a last ditch effort for a PR while I still can. My current PR is 3:14 so I'm hopeful that it's not out of reach.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 4 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you run Boston before? If you're thinking of a 3:10 PR and have a 3:14 under your belt, a 3:30 should really be no problem:) I ran a 3:31 at Boston my first year running it (was hoping for a 3:20). I tried to negative split, but my quads were just thrashed from the first 7 miles of predominately down-hill rollers. I literally crawled up the stairs to my hotel after that stupid race (elevator was broken--damn it!).

I would love to get a 3:10 PR . I was training for that last year and got a brutal case of plantar fasciitis on my last pre-race long run and then didn't/couldn't even run the marathon Ugh. Still working of the PF :/ Hope I can get it licked by the start of the season.

Anyway, that is some completely awesome running. I hope I can be that fast at 50; hell, I hope I can be that fast ever. Kudos.

--------
Quote Reply

Prev Next