Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? March 26 Edition
Quote | Reply

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 26 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik.

I spent the last five days at a triathlon camp:
Quote:
I don't exactly know what we'll be doing so I'm not going to set any goals other than make some friends and have a good time. I'm looking forward to meeting some other athletes and coaches and working on skill development in particular.
We swam a lot, biked a lot, and ran a little. In 5 days, my total training volume was twice my normal weekly average but I felt great and responded well. I was the least experienced and least successful athlete there but I feel good about how things went (but y'all should know I was in a remedial swim lane for ocean swimmers who can't use fins/paddles/snorkels/bands/the clock, population 1).

I learned a lot, worked with three really smart coaches, picked the brains of a dozen nice, fast, veteran triathletes, and generally had a good time.

This week it's back to all the normal things -- 3 bikes, 3 swims, 3 runs, some yoga and a lot of talking to my coach (and the other coaches) about what's next now that I'm back in action.

I hope everyone has a great week of training. Glad to see MistressK back on her feet :)

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Last edited by: SoCalTricurious: Mar 26, 18 17:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get confused easily when trying to remember what swim pace I want to target, partly b/c I'm aquatically challenged and partly b/c I bounce from yd to m pools. I'm glad when the coach sugests a target. Today he suggested a target and I somehow blew by it. Maybe b/c my hip felt funky and I skipped yesterday's run, leaving my legs fresher? I loved the look of surprise when he checked in to ask what I was holding. I think I'm lucky practice ended b/c I don't know I could have kept that up for another set.

Anyway, it was a good Monday.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always wondered how a tri camp would be. Sounds cool, SoCal.

Good week last week. Swim x1, Bike x1. Sprint Tri x1. Very light week. Just too much freaking work. UGH. 20 more days...

Did my first Tri as a guide for a blind athlete. We had a blast. It was very cold - around 32* when we got to transition. We huddled around the running engine of an ambulance, warming our hands on the hood and tucking our feet in under the engine. That felt wonderful. I love ambulances. The CalFire guy said he had never seen anybody use an ambulance like that.

Navigating the swim with a blind athlete was tricky. It was the coldest water she had ever swam in (62*) so she had the shock of that on top of swimming in the open water completely blind. Talk about trust... After I learned that my athlete listed heavily to the left while swimming, I pointed her 70 degrees to the right and by the time she'd list left she'd hit the buoy dead on. We did that for 4 out of 6 buoys and it worked great. I did the entire swim backstroke. Amazingly, we were not last out of the water.

The bike was a piece of cake. We were on a hybrid tandem and even though we were sitting upright on fat tires we were blowing past some folks. The power of two! That was fun. Then we ran. We run together a lot and she's great to run with; I just have to call out her obstacles (potholes, bumps, dips, puddles, etc.).

Overall, we finished in 33 & 34 place, she got 4th out of 6 in her AG, I got 3rd out of 3. Such a small race. We had a blast and now we're eyeing a fall Oly. Good times.

Okay. I have to get back to work. Rock on, Women!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 26 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing job, SLO! What an inspirational team you two are -- I hope I see you racing together out here.

Navigating the swim sounds tricky but it helps that your backstroke is as fast as my freestyle :D

Hope work isn't too crazy for the next few weeks.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 26 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
glad you had a good time at tri camp!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 26 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice job SLOgoing. It was kind of you to be a guide.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 26 Edition [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in Salt Lake City all of last week for spring break. I had an awesome time with my brother :-) I ran all 7 days, total of 40 miles. One of those runs was a 5km "race / fun run" (it was raising money for a kids' program, and the participants were mostly kids) that I ran with my brother's border collie. That was a blast. The dog nipped me at the line to steal the overall women's 'win'. They had a clock but I didn't see the time. I also walked probably 8-9 miles total over the course of the week, either with the dogs or back from doing fun stuff in the city, and we did some indoor rock climbing. I had a really fun week, and also managed to get some work done on a paper.

goals this week: day off from running, bike more miles than I run, 5 swims (2 short swims done)

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Calamityjane88 [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: CalamityJane88: Mar 27, 18 14:53
Re: How was your week? March 26 Edition [CalamityJane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, I did my own "survival prep" this past weekend--a cycling beginner racing program. Five skills clinic and five short "races" in three days. I was the oldest and slowest one there. Everyone was great at accommodating me. I learned a lot (inc. how to take corners fast--I can hear the tri volunteers yelling at me now to slow down). I also earned my upgrade to Cat 4. I'm going to focus on TT this year. I'm still undecided about road races. The potential for crashes is too great. Even in a very controlled environment we had a fellow miss a corner and hit a light pole. Ouch! He's OK, the bike is not.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply