Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? March 21 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 21 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My week was okay. I talked to a lawyer related to the run-in with the car two weeks ago, and he had some good advice. I think everything will be fine insurance-wise, but I am not going to post any details of how I am feeling until all the $$$ is settled, just in case. I got an estimate on the bike fix and we're looking at $600 or so in new components.

Food went so-so. I am trying to be kind with myself, and remind myself that it's okay to eat the things I can get at home but not in Oregon, even if those foods are not the healthiest choices. Sometimes I feel like if I could channel all the energy I use for stressing over food into something else, I'd have solved a Millennium Conjecture by now (fame and fortune... they're unsolved maths problems with $1 million in prize money).

I am re-doing a course that I taught last spring. I'm redoing it because this year I've partnered with an afterschool program, so once a week my students will be with me on campus, and once a week they'll be working with kids in the afterschool program. It's an awesome opportunity for everyone involved, but it is a lot of work for me, and I am overwhelmed and stressed trying to plan the term. I keep reminding myself that the only way around is through, and I will feel better if I sit and work on it than if I hide under the covers and just feel anxious (tempting).

Finally, my biggest news is that I was asked to be the camp director for our month-long local summer camp. Last year I was the waterfront director... camp director is a promotion I suppose, but it is a lot more work for LESS money by the time I work it all out (a lot of hours of planning now that I'm not getting paid for). That is totally fine, as I think camp is so important and I was honored that they asked me. There is no greater responsibility than parents saying "I trust you to take care of my child all day." So I am excited, and also busy trying to plan that (the earlier I make a supplies list, the easier it is to get local businesses to donate, or to write grants - we're a very low budget operation).

Also, it's the first day of spring break, and we got 3 inches of snow here in Maine. :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the promotion TC!

I have a physio appointment tomorrow because I sprained my MCL while skiing the last two weeks. I am a total klutz.

We were supposed to go to India next month but I couldn't get a visa (loooooong story and totally unexpected since I've been to India without incident before) so we're going cycling for a week in Penticton, BC instead (hence me actually making a physio appointment).

Our kitchen has been ripped out and we have no surfaces/storage, just a fridge, a semi-functioning stove and a sink. Now that the cabinets are gone the floor feels super lopsided. Probably looking at end April/early May before I have a full kitchen back. Food prep has become my nemesis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the promotion and I love your commitment to providing kids with an awesome camp experience, TC!

Last week's goals:
swim x 3: win
bike x 1: FAIL
run x 5: win with 7 (double on Sunday)
core/strength x 4: win

Probably should have got out on my bike yesterday afternoon (it was fairly nice out), but instead I was on hands and knees scrubbing my entire kitchen floor. For the first time in (ugh) years. I'm ok with the end result - plenty of better days coming for cycling, but now my house feels better.

This week's goals:
swim x 3
bike x 1
run x 5
core/strength x 4

Last edited by: mistressk: Mar 21, 16 12:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear accident stuff is getting sorted, tc.

Riding for a week in the Okanagan will be awesome, Shz. Luckee! :-)

Last week's "goals":
- Tues - coach - DONE and a hoot, even though I spent a lot more time planning the sessions...
- Thurs - ride to work EASY, coach - No ride but coaching. Hadn't cleaned up the bike since the last time I rode it and honestly I wasn't motivated to even look at it...
- Fri - maybe ride... see how Thurs goes - Ran instead
- Sat - Run - DONE
- Sun - Run - DONE and I cleaned & tuned up two bikes. Hand was reasonably stiff/sore after that.

- BONUS: completed my Concussion Protocol coaching training for speed skating and football. I actually learned quite a bit. It's a free online course, so I'm going to suggest that all of the skating coaches and assistants take it (not a requirement yet - it is for football).

This week:
- run 4x - just doing all easy ~40min for now, to get back into the habit.
- ride 1x - yes I am going to suck it up and ride EASY to work one day. If my hand hurts after the hour ride, then I will leave the bike and ride home another day. It might take a few of these split-rides to get the hand feeling ok...
- coaching 2x - again, while a lot of fun, I am finding that I spend a fair amount of time planning each session and sending to the other coaches for feedback & input, editing/adjusting, printing, reviewing before we start (a lot of demoing of new stuff). But it's kind of nice that I'm really only focused on the first 40-60min. Since I can't throw or catch, I can focus a bit more on the fundamentals of movement.
- finish my Making Ethical Decisions coaching course, pass the exam (fingers crossed).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 21 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherezade, sorry about the MCL - what's the healing time look like?
Bike vacation sounds awesome!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 21 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the ethics stuff sounds interesting. What's the nature of it? Business ethics? ethics in general? (I assume it is related to your job so I would guess something business?)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long time no see, ST Womens!

Whelp, lots of ups and downs here. My husband and I escaped Utah and now reside in heaven, AKA, San Diego, CA. My job is in a downward spiral and my husband's cancer is back (starting radiation next Monday), but we are optimistic.

The house we're renting is right on a bike path, I've found an amazing dog beach, and I went to a community pool for the first time today. There is a 4 mile ride to my local bar (yeah, still haven't beaten the drinking yet), and I've been cooking a lot more.

There's approximately one million-page novel between the lines here, but I'm needing the therapy of working out more than ever - today's swim was the most peaceful I've been in months.

With heavy legs and shoulders, I claim the following victories this week:

3.3 mile hike
1,075 meter swim

Goals for next week:
2x 30minute runs
1 bike ride
2x 1000m+ swims
1 hike (my husband put Elfin Forest on the calendar)

With love and hope,

AC

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anywhere between 2 weeks to 8 weeks. I'm hoping I'm more on the 2 weeks end of the scale... Let's see what the physio says tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, ethics in sport. It's a requirement for football coaches, and I know it's coming for skating too. I'll let you know any juicy points I can steal from it.

Re: work, I used to be a security officer in the defense sector, so ethics with suppliers, employees, customers, etc was paramount. Only I had to watch everyone else's behaviours not just mine. When I went into telecom sector, it was almost the opposite. Old boys networks, deals (multi million dollar deals) struck at strip clubs, crazy expense accounts that were borderline fraudulent, off-shore everything you can and turn a blind eye to their transgressions... Glad I'm back in aerospace.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 21 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to see you back and yeah, it sounds like there's a lot going on in your world. Glad you are finding ways to be positive and peaceful when you can. AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome back!!! Little victories and still victories - and a good dog beach sounds perfect. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
still learning the new job. Whew.

Watched a video on blood borne pathogens that had way to many actors in it that were apparently 'dead'. It was odd.

Finding my new routine for workouts.
Weekend was good, I dragged the husband on 2 dirt road rides and then I ran after Sunday's ride, which was too much for my rehabbing hamstrings.
Live and learn.
So today I got up and ran and plan to ride after work. The hamstrings aren't as cranky as on Sunday.

So hopefully this week I'll swim 2x, strength 2x, ride as much as possible and do whatever running PT allows me to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agilecipher, I am also happy to see you. I'm sorry to hear of your husband's cancer.

Glad you found some peace in the pool.
hugs
tc

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, TC - sounds like you've been going through a few degrees of hell yourself. Massive hugs to you!! If you ever need a break from that weather, we set up our guest room (the house we're renting is ridiculously gargantuan)... and 20 min from beach in San Diego doesn't suck.

AndyPants: your studies and work sound fascinating! I would spend the rest of my life in school if $$ wasn't an issue ^_^ I sympathize with the "old boys network" - I can count on one hand the number of women I've worked with in 8 years of management consulting.

edbikebabe: Thanks :D

All: *hugs* My husband starts radiation on Monday. I had my own cancer scare earlier this year - an abnormal PAP resulted in a coposcopy and LEEP procedure, but I'm clear. GET CHECKED ANNUALLY, WOMENS. Shortly after that, one of his regular CAT scans came back with a stage 1A seminoma in a pelvic lymph node.

I made a bet with my husband last night that for 40 days I can bike or walk if I want to go to the bar (also my fave lunch spot), so I am "earning" my drinks with 4 miles each way. Thankfully, uphill on the way there... otherwise I'd probably quit :-P Today was a well-earned 8 miles.

Love from San Diego:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow look at the green and sun!

is that a POC helmet?

Quote Reply