Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? March 16 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you? How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 16 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a busy and crazy week, much like I expect all of you had - and I'm single and childless, so I can't quite imagine the additional challenges of dealing with children's anxiety and childcare etc etc.

Corona status: This week is spring break and my university is doing online instruction until at least April 3 (which is my birthday!).

My goals were
1. Healthy coping mechanisms 6/7
2. Minimize running (trying to heal an injury) continuing to do a good job, ran fewer total miles than the week previous. There is still room for improvement.
3. Swim lots chlorine kills corona! I chlorintined myself!

swim: 6x, 15,575 yds
run: 4x, 33.9 mi
indoor rock climb: 1x :-)

Goals this week
1. Self care and healthy coping mechanisms
2. Minimize running. didn't run today and not going to
3. Be super productive at work

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday Ladies!

Thanks for getting us started Dr. TC, I hope you have another great week of health and happiness.

Last week was bonkers, and this week is certainly starting off as a shitstorm. I went to SoCal for a small conference and decided against renting a car and instead rented a bike to commute to my meetings. Well, joke was on me, because I brought on monsoon season! While I rode a brand new shiny Ruby, who I nicknamed Pegasus in honor of my bike naming scheme (three words: TURQUOISE. SPARKLE. FRAME) because not only was she a badass pony who flew, but she was also the offspring of Poseidon, god of the sea, and THAT IS WHAT I RODE THROUGH ALL WEEK. Also, if you are interested in doing something like this, seriously try to do a virtual ride on those streets. Google maps sent me through UCSDs campus to "save time", which meant basically I was supposed to ride Pegasus through buildings and shit. I'm sure the students had a good laugh and sanity check when they saw this disgrunted east coast girl swearing at her phone in the pouring rain while riding in circles on a mixed use bike/walkway.

Anyhow. Pool is closed. I canceled all of my cycling club's group rides until further notice. I am considered essential but my job is not critical, which is mildly irritating, haha. At least the roads are quieter.

This week's goal is to assume a new normal, for now.

M- tri team group ride on Zwift tonight
Tu- strength and core, 9mi run
W- Some sort of swim substitute workout.
Th- 60min Zwift
F- 45min run and strength
Sa- 2.5hr ride and 10min run brick
Su- yoga at home or rest

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hiiiiii everyone. Well. Well. Well.

TC-sounds like you're handling the extra stresses relatively well.

Cupcake, I LOVE YOUR STORIES AND I WANT MORE PLEASE! Love my mental picture of the Ruby bike.

I was doing ok until today. Everything really has changed very quickly around here. I have students whose parents are in New Rochelle and on lockdown, and I'm worried about my parents in SoCal, who are really high risk and very far away. Also, since I'm a musicologist, I have a lot of musician friends who are out of work and facing some stark realities. Before today, I was really focused on getting my classes up and running online, and working out some other work-related kinks in this new reality. Then, on my way home, I just started feeling real tired and sad. I think I need to chill for a little.

Wine was drunk. Chilling happened. Early bedtime shall ensue.

Regarding training, the big news is that while the NYC Half Marathon was cancelled, I set off on an Upstate Edition. It was slower than I would have been, but I still PB'd by about 18 mins. under what I was doing last summer. So, progress!

This week is a recovery week, so I have some light stuff and nothing major. I had my last swim today, before the pools close, which made me pretty anxious too. That's the sport I love and the ultimate stress relief for me.

Thinking of y'all.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spring break plans all went to ___, (fill in the blank). Disneyland closed until end of month, at least. Today was, the last day my masters swim group was open, didn’t go as I didn’t want to risk other members of my household who have compromised immune systems. Found out that my school district, which is on spring break this week will be closed until April 10th, they will be paying all regular personnel, but as a substitute, I am in limbo, probably not getting paid, students will have access to online curriculum. So workouts look like a lot of biking on Zwift, maybe pulling out my old wetsuit and hopping in the backyard pool to get some swimming in, if it ever stops raining, I might get in an ocean swim.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 16 Edition [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm so with you on the swimming. It's been my go to for the last couple of months.

Day one of work from home with an 8 & 3 year old. Yes, it's as much fun as it sounds. And I have to come up with enough work for 4 staff that they can do from home. Did I mention that I work in a chemistry lab??

On the upside - it was finally nice out and we went for a great walk this afternoon - checked out the status of the playground, walked though some deep snow and the boys went up and down every snow drift.

We are on "holidays" next week - supposed to spend the week in the mountains. Still haven't decided what to do.

Stay sane - I waffle between feeling kind of normal and thinking that the world is ending.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 16 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
Stay sane - I waffle between feeling kind of normal and thinking that the world is ending.

This! Last night before I went to bed I was telling a friend that I was going to try and stay off the internet until the afternoon. It's 0830 and I'm in bed with my laptop watching the premier declare a state of emergency, so you can make your own assumptions about how that went.

We're not particularly social people so in some ways this is not much different BUT it does mean that at times I feel the loss of the opportunity to go to the library/pool even more acutely. I've been cleaning instead. My grandmother who grew up during WWII and spent some years in an POW camp used to dust her house everyday, and I'm beginning to see why she might have built up that habit.

ANYWAY, feelings dump aside, this is the plan: 3 x bike (one done), 4 x run, ? x rowing machine (we took it out of moving purgatory this weekend), ? x core/yoga.

Not a funny story, but this clip made me laugh. https://www.instagram.com/p/B9u4eKgF1F6/ (Surely not just my mom who dances like that?)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 16 Edition [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BingTri wrote:

Cupcake, I LOVE YOUR STORIES AND I WANT MORE PLEASE! Love my mental picture of the Ruby bike.

You are so sweet :) If anyone needs a break from the insanity and needs another funny story, I'm more than willing to put my embarrassment and humiliation on full display for the sake of my awesome squad.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply