Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Marathon Monday edition (4/18)
Quote | Reply
Happy Boston!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Marathon Monday edition (4/18) [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy Patriots Day and good luck to all those running in Boston!

I felt run down/sniffly all week so I skipped/modified a lot of what I had scheduled in an attempt to feel fresh/better by the weekend. Here's planned v. actual:

3 swims (2 pool, 1 open water) - 2 pool swims completed, waves were too big for ocean swimming
3 strength sessions - 0 strength sessions, some p/rehab and movement prep but no lifting or conditioning
2 trainer rides - done, this was only part of my TP green this week :/
2 runs (hill repeats and a tempo) - 1 short modified run, 1 totally skipped
1 rest day - 2 rest days, when the waves were to big to swim I decided it was a sign that I should lay down
1 race (my first Olympic distance triathlon) - 1 race (actual distance: 1K open water swim, 34K bike, 8K run)

My weakest link is my swimming but this weekend's almost-Oly was my best swim yet -- continuous forward progress, all freestyle, no freaking out. It felt like a big step and that was my goal for the race.

Today is a rest day and tomorrow will likely be one too, I am hoping to kick whatever these sniffles before entering into a heavy training block.

I hope everyone has a great week!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Marathon Monday edition (4/18) [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week's plans:
- Feel better - DONE
- Run whatever - WIN with 2 runs that actually felt OK. Still not anything long, but I have time.
- Coach 3x, our first 4 games are on Sunday - DONE even though we actually lost 3 games and tied 1, it was still a good experience (read: eye opener) for the kids
- Maybe ride. I dunno. - ROCKED THIS - I rode Thurs and Fri to & from work with a bit of a detour/dawdle on the Friday home, for 100km, then rode to & from the football games on Sunday, and felt very good, strong, almost fast-ish, total 145k for the week, which is the most I've ridden in a LONG time.

So over all a really good week, and while I still sometimes feel a bit out of breath, I am feeling a lot more positive about my situation. I am keeping track of when I experience breathing problems, and will review this with my respirologist when we meet next (in ~4 weeks).

This week:
- run 3x - try one "long" (1h20) run but be ready to abort early if needed
- ride 2x
- coach 3x (next set of 4 games is on Sat)
- sign off the HELOC/Refi on the house tomorrow and start seriously looking for the magic place in the middle of nowhere (bit of a unicorn, but I know it exists!)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
swim x 3: win
bike x 1: win with 2
run x 5: win with 6 - approx. 62km
core/strength x : win

I ended up finally caving in and buying a GPS watch last week because I wanted to run more unmapped trails at local natural areas - they're a much better simulation of the terrain I'll be racing on most of this year than the rail trails, and I need to get more accustomed to power hiking up steep, technical hills on my long runs. Fortunately, Amazon.ca's Deal of the Day when I started looking on Monday was the Garmin Fenix 2 for an absolutely ridiculous price ($200CAN - regularly $520). It came in on Thursday evening & I've put it through some paces since, including a tough 2.5hr romp at Puslinch Tract on Saturday afternoon. In the course of a week our temperatures shot from -5c last weekend to 22c+ on Saturday/Sunday with full sun, so running was a bit of a sufferfest all weekend but the trails are getting greener.

This week's goals:
swim x 3
bike x 2
run x 5
core/strength x 4

Quote | Reply
I need to vent and you ladies are some of the only people who will understand.

The week started out great with some solid training Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Then the weather took a turn for the gorgeous -- it's been high 60s, low 70s for the last few days, getting up to 81 yesterday.

That sounds great! you say. You must have gotten so much training in! you say.

Nope. My sister-in-law is in town and all of the siblings went out to dinner Thursday (using my house as home base, so I had the added displeasure of having to clean), so I lost a day there. Then, my uncle and cousins were in town Saturday -- my cousin is starting college down the street from me -- but instead of doing the orientation tour, they blew it off and wanted to hang out with me all day. Which, I mean, thanks, but they were here ALLLLLL DAAAAAY. And on Sunday all of my in-laws got together for brunch... an hour away. With nine people you can imagine that took a while.

So after getting SNOW last weekend, I couldn't even get out to ride my bike in the 70-80 degree weather this weekend. And the weatherman was talking about how, statistically, that was probably going to be the nicest weekend we'll have all year. I wanted to punch him!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Marathon Monday edition (4/18) [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
- sign off the HELOC/Refi on the house tomorrow and start seriously looking for the magic place in the middle of nowhere (bit of a unicorn, but I know it exists!)

I could point you to some places in Maine and New Hampshire.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a good week! I actually had a LIFE this weekend :-) which resulted in my not getting all the hrs of dissertation work I wanted, but I'm allowed to have some fun every once and awhile. I really needed a break from work.

My goals were 6 swims - done, 11.5k; day off from running - done, 53 mi for the week in 6 days; 15 hrs of dissertation work - did 8.5; I probably said something about cycling and didn't ride at all. I also made a goal to start studying for Wed.'s physics midterm, and I studied for a couple of hours. All in all a good week.

On Saturday I went to the ST Road Show in Portland (OR) which was awesome. I met Lars and Dan and got all kinds of free stuff. On Sunday, I volunteered at a water stop at the local (but very big) half marathon. An officemate and my advisor were running, and it was a lot of fun to see them and just volunteer in general. I've raced a lot and never volunteered, so it was high time I did that. Also, my advisor is friends with Trisha Drobek, who ran at Olympic marathon trials this year. E. (advisor) introduced me to Trisha - here's a pic :-) she was so nice, and I got an autograph. She wrote "run strong, wings out." I *hearts* it. She won the race, super cool.

I don't know how to rotate this...

goals for this week:
15 hrs of dissertation work
study an hour a day at least (M-W) for midterm
swim 6x (1 done)
day off from running
ride bike at least once :P
get bike receipt from fixing to insurance :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ooooh I bet - a bit too far and a bit too wrong country... :-) (no need for two tax returns a year, thanks!)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Marathon Monday edition (4/18) [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, if Trump becomes president I might try and find a job in YOUR country :P

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd be welcomed! :-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week was good!
I got in 26 miles of running! yay! increase!
I got outside 3x to ride. Two lovely long rides on the glorious weekend.
two swims.
So I nailed everything except strength training. Total fail.

I was sad I wasn't doing Boston. I didn't miss by much at last year's spring marathon. Sigh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried to post last week but keeps having technical snafus and losing my posts.

Last two weeks were good. Physio continues and I can now run/walk. It was sore and difficult to begin with but is now much better. Currently in Penticton with our cycling club (but having a rest day today because my TSS for two days hit my usual weekly volume).

Kitchen should be mostly done by the time we get back. I cannot wait.

Off to enjoy the sunshine and the lake (still too cold for OWS though) :-)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Marathon Monday edition (4/18) [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds lovely - Elk Island is the furthest out of town I've been in a while, I'm ready for a road trip.

Good luck with the kitchen! We are casually house hunting. It's entertaining, but such a buyer's market I'm worried about being able to sell ours.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Marathon Monday edition (4/18) [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elk Island has the added bonus of being a lot less hilly!

Appliance delivery is scheduled for the 27th. The end is in sight!
Quote Reply