Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? June 6 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 6 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing well, thanks for getting us started tigerchik. I hope all is well in your world.

I have one more tough track session on Tuesday and then will be in my taper for my first 70.3 -- I am getting nervous/excited and am really looking forward to going home to New York for a few days before the race.

Last week I did 1 ocean swim, 3 pool swims, 1 run (hill repeats), 1 trainer ride, and 3 hour bike/run brick. I feel like I have my nutrition dialed in for the race (win!) My body had been feeling the effect of the increased training load and I ended up taking more rest than programmed -- an active rest day (yoga, p/rehab) and a full rest day last week. I've been achy and sore and the extra recovery time made a big difference. After thinking about the load, strength has been deprioritized after my 70.3 so I'll likely only be working on stabilization, activation, balance drills, and some p/rehab. After the 70.3, I'm planning to move back into a power phase for strength since I'll be focused on doing shorter races faster.

Unrelated note: Have any of you seen/heard of the film Tracktown? It premiered this week here in LA and is co-directed and stars 10K bun-loving babestud Alexi Pappas (PR: 31:46!) as well as a number of other pro runners. Check it out!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are you TC?
And I hope that last track session goes well for you SoCal.

It's been a mixed week. Goals were: swim x 3 (one being 32 x 100 on my birthday; 100 x 100 is beyond me), bike x 3 (trainer x 2, club ride x 1) and run x 3 with another "long" run (45 minutes of running out of 75 minute workout)

Managed: 2 x swim (including the birthday swim), bike x 3 and run x 3 but no long run because the knee pain came back part way through that. I've been struggling with renewed knee pain since Thursday, mostly when I run but at night as well. Not quite sure what triggered this as have been doing physio still but I'm back to icing a lot and am contemplating getting myself some KT tape.

Plans for this coming week include a trip to Lake Louise so what with that and the knee stuff goals are somewhat modified. Swim x 2, run x 3 (going back to a 2/1 ratio and seeing if that keeps the pain at bay) and bike x 3 (FTP test, Lake Louise -> Bow Summit and back, and Sunday club ride).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 6 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The movie sound good! My movie recommendation is Touch the Wall - I think it's available on iTunes or something now.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 6 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
this week looks like I will take Wednesday off entirely done!. I ran and rode today, and plan to run and ride both Thursday and Sunday rode on stationary bike on Sunday as bike has flat and I need to buy spare tubes and a patch kit. Fri/Sat I'm at a conference, so at least running and we'll see if I can sneak in anything else swam on Friday.

Other goal is 10 hrs dissertation work, conference time counts only for the time I am presenting...did 7.25 hrs of dissertation work, pleased w/ that given the travel + conference

so totals last week were 2 swims (3050 yds), 49 minutes total cycling, 6 runs (53.3 mi)

this week:
15 hrs dissertation work (this is my only to-do now because I'm on summer "vacation" - took physics final this AM)
3 swims (1 done)
3 rides
do a good job of alternating workout runs with recovery runs
day off from running

Last edited by: tigerchik: Jun 6, 16 10:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a swimming movie, tigerchik. I've run out of inspirational terra firma films so I'll add Touch the Wall to my 'Movies To Watch On The Trainer' list --The Other Shore is next in the queue.

Finding Dory comes out right before my 70.3 so I know my training partner and I are going to see it the night before the race -- we've been singing "Just keep swimming" since we started swimming last winter.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am really excited about Finding Dory!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has been SOOOOO hot here the last few days, but I've managed to keep up on the bike and run. I didn't even want to go near the pool with the weather and the swarms of people that were guaranteed to be there. Now I'm kicking myself for not forcing myself out of bed at the crack of dawn to swim. Oh well. Back at it this week. ...been nursing a slight muscle pull in my glut that has me a little gimpy. Today it was noticeably better. Sweet! Rock on.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was a pretty brutal week.

"Ugh, huge asthma attack last night - that's 3 in last 8 weeks :-(
Adjusting my week as follows:
- Coaching 4x - LAST WEEK of football YAY! This weekend is the provincial tournament so 2 days of insanity. Then I'm FREE! - DONE and it was a total sh*tshow/CF in 35degC heat both days and I am SO GLAD to be done with it. Ugh. My feet hurt, toes and lips got sunburnt, hips and lower back are tight from standing on the fields for 2 full days, and I am pretty sure I got mild heatstroke yesterday.
- Run 2x (done) " - DONE but barely

This week *will* be better. It has to.
- Run 4x
- Ride 1x
- Dryland 1x
- Inline 1x
- Keep ontop of possible asthma triggers - trying to document what is going on that might be contributing...

As for movies, the one that completely sold me on doing Comrades was "The Long Run" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0218411/) otherwise I go to good ole "American flyers" (got me to my first road bike at 13) and I recently watched "The Program" which I liked (http://www.imdb.com/...008/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1). A really good but obscure BBC one is "The Four Minute Mile" all about Landy, Bannister, Chataway, etc. (http://www.imdb.com/...171/?ref_=tt_rec_tti) - pretty sure I watched it one night on PBS a number of years ago, I liked seeing the dynamic between the teammates trying to pull Roger under 4min, the rivalry between Landy & Bannister, etc.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 6 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants I loved the "The Four Minute Mile"! The year after Bannister, 24 other runners cracked 4:00 -- and that's such a great reminder about seemingly impossible barriers. In fact, I think the ninth (tenth?) U.S. highschooler went sub 4 last month! I will check out your other recommendations.

Thanks for the luck, Scheherazade -- it's 8X800M repeats on 90 seconds of recovery, which somehow always so much harder than running 6400M! It'll be a good test of consistency, pacing, and cardiac drift.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh. The last month at work has been crazy stressful. I did pretty good up until two weeks ago then things went downhill. Missed several classes and stopped tracking my food. Once I stop tracking it's all over.

I got back in the gym last week starting Wednesday. Was there today but will miss the rest of the week with other commitments.

My knee has been really painful which makes it hard to get excited about moving around. I had a super busy weekend which aggravated it. I keep telling myself I just need to muscle through it, get as strong as I can and get this thing replaced this fall.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tracktown sounds great!

This is a random sports film that I just watched and loved: Iverson. I'm not a big basketball fan but this biography was so good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear so many womens are nursing injuries, niggles and other health issues. Hope you all find relief soon!

Last week's goals:

swim x 3: win though all were short
run x 5: win with 6
core/strength x 4: win

I decided I needed a bit of tapering before the 50k this Saturday, so last Saturday's run got cut down to a little under 20k on some trails that are very close to home but I've only hiked previously - never run.

It was swelteringly hot, humid and relentlessly sunny. I suffered.

Tried S!caps for the first time and did ok - still had swollen hands by the end, but I only took 1 per hour and probably could have bumped that up a bit. I'm going to use the 50k as a nutrition demo for the 12hr, so we'll see how it goes.

^^ That was about the last of the shade I had, and I was less than 45mins in to a 2h5m run. The loop I was doing was 3 separate trails in town, with long, unpleasant sections of pavement/sidewalk between them. Then the rest of the singletrack was just a tad overgrown:

Told my husband this is what the trail looks like - his response was "what trail?"

Got through the run with just enough time to shower and spiff myself up a bit so we could make our dinner reservation in Stratford, grab a coffee at Balzac's, walk along the Avon river to see the ducklings and swans, then stroll through the English garden at the festival theatre before a world-class performance of the Scottish play.

Got out for another 12k on a trail I haven't run for awhile on Sunday, and found this grouchy fellow meandering along in the other direction.

All told I got in 77.6km of running last week, so deffo time to dial it back a little. I only meant to run 10k last night, but it turns out the route I picked is around 11.5km - finally stopped just after 11k and walked the rest of the way home.

This week's goals:
swim x 1
run x 4
core/strength x 2
mobility/stretch x 2

It's gone a bit cool here for this week, but the temp is supposed to shoot back up to 27c/80f for Saturday with a humidex of 33c/91f, thunderstorm warnings and 30kph/18.5mph winds. Probably a good thing I have 8 full hours to slog my way through the 50k, which is at a local conservation area on rolling trails that will definitely take their toll in the heat.

Also still working on this odd disconnect between a 50k being the longest I've ever run before and feeling like a huge undertaking, and yet it being "no big deal" compared to the 12hr that's coming next month. Pre-race panic is definitely firmly entrenched.

Quote | Reply
mistressk, your photos are the highlight of this weekly thread. Happy tapering.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, thanks for the pics! :) Last couple of weeks have included falling off my bike while practicing flying mounts -- bent my derailleur hanger and smacked my brand new helmet on the pavement, as well as gave myself some road rash. :( Sigh. Then had someone slam into my (less than a year old) car, so sorting out repairs. Also been swamped at work. Because I was nervous riding my road bike once I knew the derailleur hanger was pooched, I last-minute packed up my tri bike -- which I hadn't ridden since last season -- for a training session on Wednesday. Managed to accidentally let all the air out of one tire, my hydration system mount let go irrepairably when I tried to adjust it, and after a few km I realized the back brake was rubbing so badly it's a wonder the wheel would actually turn. I also felt like Bambi on ice skates, which is kind of par for the course on that bike for the first ride of the season (very different ride from the road bike). In a terrible mood at this point, went back to the parking lot to bail on the workout, and ran into a teammate who showed up late. He fixed my rubbing brake -- he had tools, I didn't -- and then I felt like I had no excuse to bail. So I finished the ride, and felt much better by the end. Here's to perseverance. Currently preparing for a tri on Saturday... the first open-water one of the season. Sending healing vibes to all of you ladies nursing injuries!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not bad.

Workouts are OK.

Wondering about one thing. I have been at my new job now for 3 months. Pretty good company, good co-workers.
Down side - 10 days vacation, 2 sick days, sounds like taking unpaid might be not as welcomed/accepted as originally thought, 60 min drive each way

An opening came up 8mi from my house. Wondering if I should apply.
Down sides - I did one of my residencies at this place and it's meh. People there are OK. But it's large and institutional. Not sure how I'd feel about working there. They have you sign a 50mi / 2 yr non-compete when you hire in. Basically means you cannot go work somewhere else within 50mi. Other down side is during the week on-call. Right now I only have weekend on-call, about 1x a month. Lastly, it would only utilize one half of my job realm.
Up sides - bike commute, or I can take the public bus for free. No more commute. Probably has more vacation time & sick time.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 6 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there potentially negative repercussions at your current job if you apply?

Applying is just that, applying. No decisions need to be made until/unless you actually get offered a job. I say go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 6 Edition [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So gonna get yourself a small multi-tool so you can fix things like this next time? :-)

Good on ya to stick it out.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 6 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not want current job to know I'm applying. I don't know that there would be negative repercussions, but I'd keep it under wraps.
They don't have to know. The last person in that particular job was at my current company and she did not reveal the move until it was finalized and accepted.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 6 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
So gonna get yourself a small multi-tool so you can fix things like this next time? :-)

Good on ya to stick it out.

AP

Ha! I do have a tool, but it's in my race bag. Fat lotta good that did me last week. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SoCalTricurious wrote:
mistressk, your photos are the highlight of this weekly thread. Happy tapering.

Thanks for your kind words :)