Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? June 29 Edition
Quote | Reply
Tell us about it!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 29 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Swim x 4: FAIL. 3 only, unless you count my 50m "warm-up" at the tri on Saturday
Bike x 4: FAIL. 3 only, unless the 7min ride to my office from Tank's warehouse counts separate from my post-work commute.
Run x 3: win
Core/strength/rehab x 4: win

The positives:
1) I didn't drown on Saturday morning.
2) I swam much stronger than I did at the 1st tri of the year.
3) I did not do any further damage to my hamstring tendon injury on the run.
4) I was actually able to run hard and felt strong!
5) Tanker made it safely through the bike course.
6) We finally got our canoe out for a test paddle with the approximate load we expect to have for our trip next month.

The negatives:
1) I still swam slow as shit.
2) The extensor tendons on the top of my right foot have been agonizing since Saturday evening.
3) Our canoe doesn't have anywhere near the freeboard we need to be safe on Georgian Bay with our anticipated load.

The positive from the negative:
1) I think I can convince my mom to buy us a the kevlar canoe I've been lusting over for years as a birthday gift.

This week's goals:
Swim x 4
Bike x 4
Core/strength x 3

I can't make any predictions on running. Foot felt much better yesterday - I could actually walk again, though I have to do so carefully and slowly. Still better than Saturday night, when I was reduced to hopping because I couldn't even set the foot down without any weight on it. Even just sitting with it elevated it was agonizingly painful in a way I haven't experienced since I broke my wrist. It's feeling a bit better yet today; can walk almost normally again. A bit of research says it's caused by tight calf muscles, so I've been aggressively attacking them with hands, foam roller and a tennis ball and it seems to be helping.

Still bummed about ANOTHER damn injury, though, especially since the original one seems to be doing so much better. It felt SO GOOD to run for just under an hour on Saturday morning, just dancing through the forest. I miss mah trails...and have another tri in 2 weeks, which is NOT a relay, so I need to get some training in!

Just want to be healthy again.

Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week: I am taking a lifeguarding course at the camp I used to work at, so I'm on Mount Desert Island for the week. Goal = do some cycling done! and hiking done! and OW swimming while I am here :-) didn't OW swim; LG class was at a pool and after getting out of LG, I was sick of swimming for the day

M: 9.5 mi run + 800 yd swim
T: 8 mi run + 1775 yd swim
W: 27 mi bike + 1000 yd swim
T: 11 mi run + 10 mi trail bike + 800 yd swim
F: 25 mi bike (3 x Cadillac Mt = 4 mi climb, 4 mi downhill!)
S: 10.3 mi run
S: 10.3 mi run + taught yoga

totals 4,375 yd swim + 62 mi bike + 49.1 mi run

goals for this week: swim 2-3x, ride at least 3x, take a day off from running.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 29 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mmmm... new canoe... mmm... fingers crossed it pans out - and yer foot gets better! :-) P so wants a canoe, has for a few years now. We might have to pull the trigger soon... so I might ping you for advice.

Not a bad week but definitely a slow week activity-wise. Feeling very lazy and fat. Got a heap of work done on the house, lots of walking, doggy's energy level is still on the upswing... all good stuffs. But it's time to get back at it.

This week:
- Ride every day dammit. OK 6 of 7 would work :-)
- Canada Day on Wed so get out and ride somewhere fun to celebrate
- Any run is good (it's a real heatwave going on here so I'll admit I'd rather walk or ride than run but I can't use my massive MTB bruises as an excuse anymore)
- More paint scraping, more landscaping
- We are kid free for TWO WHOLE WEEKS so we're going to go camping this weekend at a friend's acreage for 1 night, test out the new tent we bought (2 rooms and a vestibule for doggy - we'll see how she does out in the woods overnight).
- Decided against the ST skate camp and will spend the $ on some inlines instead. I think another season of coaching might be in order before a camp...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for asking!

I completed my first Olympic tri on Sunday; the whole week was pretty much a build up to that. I did the modified sprint version of this last year (modified because the bike is 40k regardless) and managed to shave 19 minutes or so off my bike time so I am v pleased but am disappointed with myself for the swim & run portions. The swim remains my nemesis because put me in open water and I completely lose the ability to breathe out while my face is under - so frustrating because I'm a much better (pool) swimmer than I was a year ago and I can't make that work for me in a lake. It didn't help that this lake is GROSS - murky and green and loads of vegetation that grabs you in the face. Also managed to get chafe on the back of my neck from the wetsuit which then got a bit too much sun during the bike & run. Bring on the polysporin and tegaderm.

I've signed up for the Olympic at Edmonton when WTS/ITU are here so I've got a benchmark to try and improve on. At the same time I'm adjusting my goals for my 70.3.

This week: my dad arrives on Saturday! It has taken me three years to convince him to visit me in Canada so I'm looking forward to it but slightly apprehensive as well. Plan: run x 5, bike x 4, swim up in the air because of my neck - it looks pretty gross and I don't think other pool goers should be subjected to that.

Any tips on stopping the OWS panic gratefully received.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vacation. Amazing and awesome.

I learned - I'm not one who likes a tri longer than a half iron. I get lonely and bored on the bike and can't stay focused enough to keep riding hard.
I can still enjoy running long. I'd much rather do a long ride with friends, with a food stop. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 29 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I hate OW swimming in gross lakes too :-( But make sure you pat yourself on the back missy! :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I survived training camp for the August 22 Leadville 100 Mile Ultra Marathon.

On day one, we ran 26 miles at up to 11,000' of altitude. Day two left me lost and alone on the course after the marker flags were taken down before I checked in. My responsibility was in taking too many photos and not keeping close track of time. Their responsibility was not to take down the course markings before everyone checked in, and I told them so...

Day three was at night and I learned that I am more afraid of the dark than I imagined. Having said that, being lost on the course the day before may have had something to do with my fear ;-)

Now that I know I can finish, and I hope in under 30 hours, I have to find pacers to help with the final 50 miles. Off to the main forum!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The swim remains my nemesis because put me in open water and I completely lose the ability to breathe out while my face is under - so frustrating because I'm a much better (pool) swimmer than I was a year ago and I can't make that work for me in a lake.

How cold of water are we talking? Cold can have something to do with it.

Do you think it is race-anxiety related, or does this happen if you go for a practice swim in OW?

I think I would try just swimming for fun and getting used to it. I really mean swim for FUN, not freestyle. Do pencil dives off a dock (not blowing air out your nose here = water up your nose). Get a kickboard or noodle, and do breaststroke kick with your face in, blowing bubbles. Swim sidestroke. It is probably something that can be fixed with practice and getting more comfortable.

A 19 min PR on the bike is AWESOME!

Last edited by: tigerchik: Jul 1, 15 7:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for chiming in. It wasn't because the water is cold - this lake was about 73F.

I just have a lot of water related anxiety; when I first started lap swimming a couple of years ago I used to freak out just watching the bottom of the pool drop away and going to a new pool was terrifying. I'm over that now.

I will try out your suggestions - you make open water sound fun :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another thought: get a snorkel and try that in OW.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Open water IS fun. Hopefully you can figure out some tips/tricks to get there...
Quote Reply