Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? June 24 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 24 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals this week - 4-5 rides, one long; bike time and run time roughly equivalent again (or bike time way more than run time is ok too), swim 1-2x

Goals almost met. Did not ride long and thus run time was 50 min more than bike time. Am very pleased to announce that eating went well all week :D I had a couple tough moments but got through it. I am trying so hard to relax a bit more with it.

M - 8 mi run + 40 min yoga + 19 mi bike
T - 9 mi run + 2100 yd swim
W - 10 mi run + 25 mi bike
T - 6.5 mi run + 6000 yd swim
F - 1.75 mi run + 3600 yd swim + 12 mi bike
S - 8 mi run + 10 mi bike
S - 7 mi bike + 8 mi run + 5 mi bike

Goals for this week - day off from running (planning tomorrow), swim 2-3x, ride 4-5x, keep doing well with food :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 5: WIN with 6
Bike x 2: WIN
Swim x 3: WIN
Core/strength x 4 with focus on mobility & stretching: WIN

Half iron on Sunday was a WIN/FAIL mix - had my best swim ever (at any distance), but the bike was a sufferfest of headwinds for which my meager cycle training on my tri bike left me rather un-prepared, and the relentless sun combined with a humidex of 36c/91f led to a lot of short walking breaks in the last 15k of the run to try to control my breathing and make sure I could hydrate well. Net result was a 12min PR at the distance: 12:30 swim improvement, T1 quicker by 19sec, 3:15 faster bike, T2 improved by 36sec but run was 5:18 slower. To my credit, there were a lot of meltdowns on the run - in the overall standings, I had a better run than swim or bike split, so I fell apart less than a lot of other people. I passed tons of racers walking, and even a few having themselves a sit down. We've had no weather like this yet to acclimatize, so it was a tough day for everyone. That was my "A" race for the year, so I'm letting myself unwind a bit - next event I need to prepare for is a 30k road (running) race, but it's not until Aug 17th.

This week's goals:
Run x 2
Bike x 1
Swim x 1
Core/strength x 3 with focus on mobility & stretching
Try not to pig out too much

Taking today to just do some walking, then I'll play it by ear as the week wears on. This Saturday or Sunday we'll be heading out for our annual motorcycle tour, riding up through Michigan to check out the Upper Peninsula before hitting a rally at a friend's place in Wisconsin. I'll be bringing running shoes and hope to get a few shorter ones in, but since we'll be camping our way around I'm not going to sweat it too much if I don't manage much. I'll have a bathing suit with me as well, but don't know if I'll have a chance to swim. Tanker and I do have a relay sprint tri (I swim and run - he cycles) on July 20th - under 2 weeks after we return - but it's just for fun so no pressure.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
That is super hot! Congrats on the PR. You have certainly worked hard for it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BOOM!
I totally hit my 40 miles for the week running goal for the week! And it meant some HOT runs - I did an 8 miler in a heat index of 101F, and my 12 mi long run was in a heat index of 95F. 12 miles is my longest run since my injury! I totally had to do loops with the heat, I had a water station at the house... and it took it easy but was still thrilled with my ave pace.
But I'm THRILLED. Three 4mi runs, two 8mi runs, and the 12 mi long run.

I also rode 4x, with a longer bike of 52 miles, on which I felt STRONG! Even towards the end, I was still feeling REALLY GOOD. I'm so stoked. I also did a 'crit' practice and got in a decently hard workout of "intervals".

I also got in TWO swims - awesome - I did an hourlong open water swim, and swam for my volunteer duty at a local women's only tri - I was in the water to assist when needed with the noodle. Second year doing it, and it was a blast. I love the newbies.

Goals for this week - somewhat taper for my olympic distance race on Sunday. This will be a gauge of my fitness for Milwaukee. I'll be 'going for it'.

I think my adjustment to the heat is going just fine. I'm doing better than ever before in it (and no, no explanation, sorry).

Misstressk, great job on the PR in tough conditions!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still recovering from my run-in with a car on June 10 - so bummed!!! I was able to walk away from the site and felt very fortunate, but my neck and shoulder are still hurting and I'm not sleeping well. I had an MRI on Fri, but my Dr is on vacation this week, so no results until next week. He told me to stop the little bit of swimming I had been doing, no running, and I can spin on a recumbent bike if I want. I know, I need to focus on what I CAN do... like control my eating, which I'm still not doing very well. I know I'll get it together, I've been through injuries before, and hey, I WALKED AWAY after getting hit by a car - like my Dr said, that's not trivial!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great week for MistressK and determination. Diane, FYI, even if your doc is out for the week, at most places you can get a copy of the images and radiologist report yourself. That way you get a chance to look at the results and think ahead about questions you may have.

unfortunately, I know from experience. I'm still sorting through my last MRI and what it means. Among other things, shows a disc bulge protruding into the spinal canal.

Doc put me on a high dose, 12 day taper of Prednisone, which has immediately helped with the radiating pain. The unkown is if that relief will persist after I'm no longer taking the Prednisone.

The good news (I suppose) is finding out that this may be the source of the hip and hamstring issues I've been dealing with for over a year now. The not so good news is that a muscle injury would have been better, as they heal in a way discs can't.

Had a bit of a setback this weekend with the back that has me despondent. As of now, I'm 18 weeks out from my IM, and not sure what the future will bring. :-(

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 24 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Determination, thanks for the report - you mentioned you're coming back from an injury, and it looks as if you're doing great. It helps me to remember that I'll be back one of these days!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to Mistress K on a PB that you worked hard for!

Nice work Determination - you are logging some serious training time! Are you training for long course?

Tigerchik - I hope bike shopping is going well!!!

To my injured womens friends - I hope you get answers soon. You will be back in the thick of things sooner than you think!

Had a good training week. Now that my teaching obligations are minimal (just planning), I can put in some serious training time for the next two months. Coming from a cycling background, I have that piece down, so it's time to focus on the weaknesses - swimming and running!

Last week's goals:
5 runs - only 4 / need to get the run volume up!
4 swims - score! Including one OWS in 68F water and no wet suit - BRRR!
3 bikes including one on TT bike - played with fit a little and am now really feeling one with my new baby - can't wait to let loose on this bike on a flat sprint soon!

This week - get after that run!
Mon - tempo run - done
Tues - masters swim & EZ run
Wednes - sweet spot ride
Thurs - masters swim & EZ run
Fri - run w/hill sprints
Sat - OWS & ride TT bike hard
Sun - masters swim & long run

Happy training all!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 24 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3, many (((hugs))) and I hope the pain is gone when you stop taking the meds. Nothing they could do surgically?

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 24 Edition [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, there were 5 weeks in January I did not run at all. I thought I had a stress fracture. It wasn't, and I went through 6 weeks of PT and returned to running slowly... with improved form - the 'injury' might have thrown my form off, so it was looked at and corrected.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 24 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's funny but no, I'm not training for long course at all. I do have a fairly serious 3 day run relay in July though, and I need to have the running miles up there for it.
I also have another marathon back in my mind somewhere and ....

The 52 mi bike ride was for fun, and on this out and back route we do, there's this great cafe where we always sit, relax, and have something to eat (like a cookie or muffin or something small)... my husband does the iced or blended mocha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job with eating! That's super. :-D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monday: Work 10.5 hours.

Tuesday: Worked out w/trainer. Pack apt.

Wednesday: Movers came and packed the rest of my apt.

Thursday: Movers came and moved me to new house. Rush at 3:59 PM to bank to get largest check I've ever had and take to closing. Sign my name about 100 times. Totally exhausted at the end of the day. +12K steps and 20 flights of stairs (yea FitBit to measure all that!)

Friday: Stick around house and unpack and wait for contractor and plumber since I have no hot water. Deal with no-show cleaning service at apt and scramble to get replacement. Apt. cleaned by 8:30 PM. Still no hot water but at least I got to take a shower at the apt.

Saturday: Plumber again. FINALLY have hot water. Unpack some stuff and later go to lunch with friends then to Tour de Fat in the park and then to drink beer. Home and sleeping about 8:30 PM.

Sunday: Unpack some stuff. Go to airport and pick up Dad. Lunch, shopping (WalMart, Lowe's), home to start getting organized. Cook first dinner at new house!

Hopefully in the next week after Dad leaves I will get back into a routine. I have a bike riding date with the trainer for this coming Sunday.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 24 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a bunch guys - still cross with myself for walking as I was really confident in my run fitness going in (coming off a half marathon PR in early May), but there's a very real possibility I would have blown myself up without the walk breaks. Guess it leaves some low-hanging fruit for the next HIM attempt, and of course the whole thing resulted in one of my fav race pics ever:

Sending many healing vibes to the injured, and many high fives to the other ladies kicking butt!

I actually rode a bike last night for no reason other than to feel a cool breeze and look at pretty gardens, then I had ice cream. Recovery rawks!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Jun 25, 13 8:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap, nice work everyone! I am feeling very fat and slow and am trying to get back into a routine. Unfortunately, I spent 3 days sitting on my ass at a conference, and am now spending a week in Toronto auditing. I managed to run three times last week, and the third one actually felt... AWESOME! Finally! :-) I also did some weights and started back on the situps & pushups after runs. I lost my baby toenail finally (yuck, super gross), and I somehow tweaked my shoulder on Sat (I swear I heard the muscles tearing), so the entire weekend after that was pooched - I had hoped to get on my MTB but no dice.

This week? I hope to abuse the gym at the hotel at least three times, then get in a couple runs on the long weekend coming up. I will also ride if my shoulder feels OK - but maybe just road riding for another week. After the long weekend, I'll be riding my bike virtually every day to & from work for the rest of July, so I'm really looking forward to that.

Oh and I have spotted a local 1/2 marathon in late Sept I am thinking about doing. :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 24 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistressK--that's a great pic! Love it! Don't fret about walking. That strategy has gotten me past the finish line before many a young stud when it's hot, humid and they've gone out way too hard.

Tclm--it's fun to hear about the move. Are you excited?

AP--did you get to run along the waterfront in Toronto? I really like Toronto--all the bustle, culture, vibrancy of NYC but without the grime.

TC, thanks for the hugs. It's too soon to talk about surgical options. I think the goal now is to get the inflammation calmed down enough to start up some strengthening to stabilize the back, all without furthering damaging the discs and nerves they are compressing. It's a fine line to walk.

Today my PT gave me clearance to (once again) start up brisk walking and swimming, as much as I want, as long as no radiating pain. Also started me on some very gentle strengthening exercises. I think I'm going to do "doubles" to at least keep the habit of working out in place. For me getting started and staying in a routine was always the hardest part, so at least I can "practice" that.

I'm also thinking it will be a good to time to focus on swim form (vs. distance), something I badly need. I'll see if I can get some video and maybe the womens fish can help me out (hint hint).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that! I must say I was surprised by some of the people I saw that looked to be in rough shape, or were still heading out for their 2nd loop of the middle portion when I was on my way to the finish. Just can't shake the feeling I could have at least cut out some of the walking - at one point I only ran about 100m between walk breaks (that were probably only 10m long), but I managed to run the whole final 1.5km right into the wind. If it had cost me the PR I'd be kicking myself much harder, though, and I suppose the bit of gravel in my shoe that led to a quarter-size blister on the pad of my left big toe didn't help!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
So one thing to think about is maybe practicing a run/walk strategy during your long runs. For HIM, I run two miles, then walk 30 steps (usually through aid station and get down H2O at the same time).

From my perspective, it's better to do a planned walk, then to walk unplanned.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure. Also, I know you are not a beginning fish, but Dan just posted a Guppies Revenge challenge on the main forum and I think he will be posting some technique-oriented workouts.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 24 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome pic!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, but this is the second time I've ever walked in a tri; the other time was the same conditions (suddenly hot and humid with no acclimatization time and no shade). I ran the whole 21.1 the first time I did the HIM at the same venue 2 years ago - not as humid a day, and there was cloud cover in the afternoon instead of blazing sun. Just bad luck with the weather!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I'm still here but actually staying and working out by the airport. So unfortunately it's the deadmill at the hotel for me. Boourns. :-(

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will do whatever I can to help. Hang in there & try to stay positive mentally.

My rough patch continues, as I've been MIA for a couple weeks. Work travel combined with a bit of sinus funk & mental blah socked it to me. I think I managed a few reasonable swims & am desperately trying to get the eating back under wraps combined with some sleeping stuff. Just altogether climbing back on the wagon I suppose. I'm vacillating between a happy person & one who's got all sorts of mind games & mental fatigue plaguing me.

Have put in some reasonable swim yardage this week & last weekend I actually was on my bike for the second time in 8 days AND I ran 5miles. These are the things that make me happy, the things I enjoy doing & the things that make me feel like a healthy person. I'm trying to figure out how to do more of them while doing less of the things that I don't enjoy, putting less pressure on myself to do the things I feel like I "should" do & finding a way to not feel guilty about it. It's obviously a rough balance.

I suppose crafting some goals - big & small, athletic & not - would probably help clarify all the crap jumbled around right now.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 24 Edition [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, we need to ride.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next