Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? June 17 Edition
Quote | Reply
Tell us about it!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 17 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Swim access is harder to come by here, so my goals for this week are 1-2 swims, 4-5 rides with one long, and in general to have bike time about equal to run time.

Didn't swim. Will this week. 4 ride days, B on the "long" one as it was only 2:20, and my bike time was only 20 min less than run time. That's fairly good for me ;-) I haven't found a new bike yet (haven't shopped yet), so am on a hybrid. It's not as fun as the road bike but I am grateful to have something!

M - 8.5 mi run + 40 min. yoga + 18 mi bike
T - 6.5 mi run
W - 6.5 mi run + 40 min. yoga + 18 mi bike
T - 8.5 mi run
F - 32 mi bike
S - 14 mi run
S - 6 mi bike + 9 mi run + 19 mi bike

Eating went okay. 6/7.
Goals this week - 4-5 rides, one long; bike time and run time roughly equivalent again (or bike time way more than run time is ok too), swim 1-2x

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frustrating!!! I recovered from my brochitis and decided to go for a short, easy ride last Monday only to get hit by a car. I'm counting my blessings that I was able to walk away, and I'm happy that it wasn't worse. On the other hand, it still kind of sucks! Other than a constant headache and some shoulder pain, everything else feels pretty good. I have a followup Dr appt on Thursday and will go from there. I'm trying to focus on the things I can do - kicking my way up and down the pool with a snorkel and fins, walking, and catching up on paperwork are on my list so far. My eating has been horrible - I bought a can of coconut-pecan frosting last night, as well as a bag of chocolate almonds (milk choc, not even the "good" stuff) and have been picking all day, so I need to quit feeling sorry for myself and get that under control. I know I'll feel better if I eat right, but my motivation is usually feeling good for my workouts, and if I can't work out, then I lose control.

Thanks for letting me vent - everyone be careful out there!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 17 Edition [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the accident but glad you sound not too much worse for the wear. Any damage to the bike?

On the food, maybe think about feeling good when you get back to workouts vs gaining weight from eating junk?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, the gentle encouragement and support helps. I used to be about 55-60 pounds heavier and dropped it 8 or 9 years ago, but it's still a battle!

My bike is in the shop, and I haven't heard from my mechanic - I told him not to rush because I'm not ready to ride yet, but I am getting anxious to see how it is. It didn't look too bad, I think I took most of the impact with my shoulder and hip. The R shifter was broken and both brake levers bent. There's one scratch on the frame where I must have hit it with my cleat. I only have one set of wheels (Zipp 404's), so I hope they're ok and that there's no hidden damage anywhere. It's 5 years old, but it's a great bike that I was planning to keep forever.

Of course I downloaded my Garmin data - I had been going 17 mph and only slowed to 16.7 when I hit. I'm always so cautious, but I haven't figured out what I could have done differently. It's scary how fast everything happened, even though parts of it felt as if it were in slow motion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Went to my first masters swim class and had the s*** kicked out of me. Looking forward to making this a 2-3x/week event.
  • Lost 3 days being REALLY sore from tipping over on my new bike (oops...) - was at a dead stop at a corner, unclipped the wrong side because I was over-thinking the new bike, and fell over, felt like a gorilla had punched my shoulder. I probably shouldn't wimp out quite so much, though?
  • Got in 25 min on the trainer and felt strong (2 days before race).
  • Had an incredible race (Sprint Tri #2) with a 10-min PR

• Really proud of successful swim (27 min down from 33 last time) - spotting every 6 strokes was HUGE in helping me stay aligned, but I need to work on breathing and long arms. I look forward to swimming being easier - my heart rate was way high at the beginning of the bike ride and took a while to come back down
    • Was surprised with the bike course starting uphill more than I expected, quads got tired by about mile 5 - I said Shut Up Legs and rolled on, but was truly annoyed - now that I look at the elevation map, I would have planned differently.
    • Map My Run apparently has that big hill at mile 11.45 named as Suicide Hill. It was nice to expect it and not over-think it, just get off the bike, drink, and walk up.
    • On run, had to deal with calf cramp and too-tight shoes that resulted in a numb foot. Going back to old shoes and doing more of the physical therapy exercises to strengthen hips/ankles/balance.

• Beat my goals of my run splits with 11:02, 12:29, 12:06 and was in a good headspace.
      • I made a deal with myself that I could walk when I needed, but only for 30 seconds at a time, then I had to try to run again. I was in a really positive headspace for this run and was smiling even through exhausted. Being surrounded by a bigger group (because of the overlapping loops with the Oly racers) was SO fun for me.
    • Feeling like a badass for "chicking" 3 guys in my age group who started 5 min before me, even though I was last of the 7 women in my AG
  • Feeling good today but for a sore calf, hip, and tight shoulders - hello foam roller/ice/alleve...
Next Week's Goals:
  • Attend swim class W/F (it's a M/W/F class, but I need to rest my shoulders today) - my TP should probably be adjusted.
  • Find a hillier area to do longer bike rides

• Keep working on ability to drink while rolling, but get aero-bottle
  • Run on treadmill with light hills - never less than 3 miles, working up to 5-6 over the next few weeks?? My goal is to start 2014 season with olympic distance, so I want to work on making 6 easy.
  • Work on bosu ball for balance every day
  • Do Physical Therapy exercises 3-4 times/week
  • Start some strength training for shoulders?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Last edited by: Agilecipher: Jun 17, 13 13:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes!!!! SO glad you're okay and I'll think happy thoughts for the bike. I never imagined I would have such an emotional attachment with my bike, but man, I'd defend it to the grave now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about people's cycle-related incidents! Hope everyone heals well and the bikes come out with clean bills of health. Nice bit of improvement there Agilecipher!

Last week's goals:

Run x 7: WIN
Bike x 3: FAIL. 2 only.
Swim x 4: WIN with 5
Core/strength x 4: WIN

So once more I failed to get the cycling in that I had planned - just an easy ride on Wednesday down to my Mum's house (only to discover that my supposed-to-be-repaired CF mtb was still creaking because the repair wasn't done properly) and commuting to the market & back on Saturday. Had every intention of riding with Tanker on Sunday, but the day kind of got away on us - did get in an open water swim, though, and used a pair of vouchers that were about to expire to play 9 holes of (really bad) golf on a gorgeous day!

The mile on Friday was ridiculous. I worked myself up into a real tizzy beforehand - evening races just give me loads of time to freak out and second-guess myself. I did, however, totally smash the stretch goal I had for myself and put myself deep in the hurt locker; I'm still feeling some of the after effects even today. Race report is in the blog.

This week's goals:
Run x 5
Bike x 2
Swim x 3
Core/strength x 4 with focus on mobility & stretching

Half freakin' ironman on Sunday. Swim and run are where I want them, but cycling will be survival. Just going to try to rest up and arrive as fresh as possible at the starting line then enjoy the day! Taking tonight off to have dinner with my Mum for her birthday (yesterday, officially) and keep her company on the 1st anniversary of my Dad's passing.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Upped my run mileage! yay! Added 5 miles for the week from the weekly amount I'd been at for a few weeks now. It went just fine. Wanted to have that increase come from extending my long run but time constraints kept me from doing so. That's OK.
Had a really fun swim Fri. night with friends... good workout... nice meal after. Several people complemented me on my physique (weight loss) and that felt really good!

Down side - long ride wasn't very long. And it was by myself. :(

So last week got in 3 bikes, 6 runs, 1 swim.

This week:
see about keeping that run mileage.
Get in the swim, even though this week I'll be doing it solo since we have some concert tickets for fri. night.
Do longer long ride.

Sun - have fun being a 'swim goddess' at a local women's only tri. I've volunteered for this in the past and it's a lot of fun. :) I'm looking forward to it.
11 weeks to go on the residency. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you could walk away from it!!! Heal fast!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 17 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good for you, going to masters! I had to get up the courage all those years ago, and now it's a group of people I really look forward to seeing. :) Hang in there, the butt kicking will get better. :)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 17 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
way to go on the mile. I've never tried just one mile all out...
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 17 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is so good to hear in contrast to the running manra of "it doesn't get easier, you just get faster"!

Just having the confidence boost of "I can do this and will get better" was amazing during my tri. I had a small freakout about halfway when some big waves started hitting me (I think the safety boat got too close), but was able to channel my inner Dory - "just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Love the volunteer title!! When we volunteered at IMAZ last year, our water stop was themed Super Heroes, so we all dressed up. I had fun being Sailor Moon, until a runner threw a full cup of Perform at me :/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of loafing/walking the dog, some weights, elliptical, biked to work, a nice ~20k slow noodle on the bike with the girl, and my first run in 2 weeks - which felt like donkey. Race report is done finally and on the main forum.

This week: still not ready to run, and I have a 3-day conference this week. Lots of walking, some weights, core, and if I play my cards right, a ride or two this week.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think running is one of those things that, when learning, it DOES get easier. Your body gets used to knocking out 6 miles daily, your body adapts to it and you get less sore, and so on.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agreed! Running will get easier as you are learning it. Then you get to move to a different kind of hard when you start pushing yourself. I think the same goes for swimming. As I've improved my swimming, the "hard" aspect of it changed. It's a differnt kind of hard. More of a pushing oneself kind of hard rather than a struggling type of hard.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 17 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep hoping cycling will get less boring...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that's why I'm no good for long course (IM). I don't like long boring solo rides.
I usually bike with my husband or in a group. Much more exciting to turn yourself inside-out to stay on a group rather than just pounding out those lonely miles. Or with my husband, we take turns pulling or chasing down that random rider up the road.

Can you bike to a destination like a coffee shop, roadside fruit stand or ... ? Most of my rides are like this. We have one awesome coffee shop that caters to cyclists and even puts out big bike racks in the summer for us. They have a wonderful selection of food - soups, sandwiches, coffee drinks, cookies, pastries... just about anything you'd like. Yes, they have healthy stuff. Yes, they have 'junk food' too.
I figure I don't get paid to do this, so I should make it as fun as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also in the frustrated/just shoot me camp. On Tues got cleared to start back on sbr, then on Wednesday put on 10 day "no vigorous exercise" restraint due to an eye issue. I am now reduced to only walking.

Next three days are various doc/PT appts, and hopefully I'll have some answers then. In the meantime I'm just watching the days tick by.

Anybody on here go from couch to IM in 18 weeks? That's what I'm looking at now. CRAP!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And that's why I MTB... unless the road ride is with good company and involves a food stop of some sort ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 17 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that. I've been there a few times - injury or illness keeping me out for extended periods and it just sucks.

What always helped me get through those bad times was planning my comeback - which it sounds like you are doing now by thinking about IM training. I've never trained for an IM, but, depending on how long you've been off, start slow for the first few weeks. Try to do something everyday but keep it relatively short and easy for the first 2-3 weeks so you don't reinjure yourself. You would still have a good 4 months to build endurance/volume. If I was training for an IM from scratch, that is probably what I would work on, building the volume by doing a mid week long run and a weekend long ride with lots of shorter workouts and swimming in between.

I hope the eye issue is resolved soon and you are back at it next week!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am late to the party as usual ;-)

Congrats to everyone on the race results and good luck to all racing this weekend. I love this weekly thread bc it keeps me so motivated!

My week - early week was spent on the second half of a biking camping adventure with 26 students to learn about the US civil war, self-sufficiency and making sacrifices for the greater good. I was the bike wrench and the leader when we were cycling. We had some epic weather - 6inches of rain fell on the trip - started in remnants of tropical storm, finished with 4 tornados near Gettysburg,PA. Kids remained upbeat no matter what mother nature threw at us. We did luck out - most of our biking was dry - rain typically fell on days we weren't riding much or in the evening/overnight hours. You can read about our adventures here from my colleagues official "blog" aimed at letting parents know what we were up to.

http://peddievoices.peddie.org/...rip%202013%20%281%29

We got back late wednesday night after a bike tour around the monuments in DC. Rest of week's training was pretty easy bc I needed to catch up on sleep.
Thursday - off
Friday - short EZ run then back in the pool to remind myself how to swim
Sat - short EZ run
Sun - masters swim - swam with metronome trying to increase stroke rate - that was interesting!!!!

This week - back at it!!! Lots of planning stuff to do for next school year but my schedule is my own so I can train my ass off for the next two months! Next tri - July 6 - training focus is to improve OWS and run. Now I just need to stick to plan!!!!

Monday - off
Tuesday - swim & EZ run (done)
Wednesday - brick - ride (hill repeats hard) then EZ run
Thursday - swim & tempo run
Friday - EZ ride/EZ run
Sat - OWS then ride TTbike hard
Sun - swim then run long
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I keep hoping cycling will get less boring...

Explore the area on your bike! When i have to do long rides by myself, I get out the old-fashioned map and look for roads I have never been on before - that is usually my go slow and enjoy the scenery part of the ride. When I lead group rides, I always try to find a road i hope the group has never ridden before so we can have some stop and smell the roses moments.

I also know where all the coffee shops are - destination rides are always fun!

A new bike will also help with motivation. I just got a TT bike in april and I love riding it - I just feel fast when I get on it and being in aero position just makes me want to go fast. Have fun bike shopping!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing interesting to look at, or are you only on a trainer?

I tease Kyle mercilessly about the amazing things I see on our runs and bike rides that he misses completely. We did a 5k where I swear on my life, we passed a guy walking two super-shaggy donkeys through a children's playstructure. During my first triathlon, I saw roosters hanging out by the fence, watching the show and 3 peacocks in someone's yard. On my bike rides along the Guadalupe River, I see different kinds of birds, note the water level, appreciate the shiny bugs that DON'T splat against my arms, and sometimes even stop and read the signs about the nature preservation underway. On my race last Sunday, I saw a beautiful young doe leaping through the trees.

After years of sports in boring locations (oh look, another gym to fence in, oh yay, a slightly newer tennis court), I really like the variety of things I get to see while out biking!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree - I like to look around - see what's out there in the big bad world... a lot of people I ride with never see the things I do.... AP

------------------------
Quote Reply

Prev Next