Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? July 29 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 29 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was super busy last week and didn't get around to posting so here's two weeks. I did catch up on everyone's activities last night!

week of July 15: 46.6 mi run (7 runs, long was 11 mi), 4 swims (9200 yds total), 1 bike (5.5 mi)

week of July 22: 59.9 mi run (7 runs, long was 12.4 mi) and 2 swims (total 2150 yds)

we've had family here the past couple weeks and it has been busy. I gave up swim time yesterday to go blueberry picking, thinking I'd swim today... got there and the pool was closed, something related to a power outage last night. I was so disappointed. I got to swim for 10 min in the very hot therapy pool, which is better than nothing (then did some laps in our camp swim area). Anyway looking forward to being in a more normal routine. Humph. This is my last week in Maine; goal is a long outdoor run and whatever else I feel like.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday, Ladies! And on a personal note, a happy birthday to my Mom. She's been gone over eight years (actually today makes exactly 8.5), but I still try to celebrate her every year.

Dr TC- I'm glad you've been enjoying Maine! Sorry about the pool situation. From what I heard from friends, that storm was insane.

Last week was a doozy. Massive volume build plus an onslaught of conference calls, doctor's appointments, and other stressful nonsense. My endo and I met on Friday, and I got some bad news and good news. Bad news is my uterus is "unstable" (you can WTF right along with me at that one) and my hormone levels are so low because my body isn't metabolizing them properly. Why not? All signs point to IM training. BUT, the good news is, when I asked her if I should stop training, she said "oh hell no, you keep doing what you're doing and I'll work from my end to adjust things". So, yay. But, she has me on a hard reset for my meds right now- five days off of them to try to stabilize my uterus and all of its fun unstable side effects. I am crashing hard- think PMS combined with flu symptoms and here I am. Thankfully there's a rest day in these five days and I'm counting the hours down until I can get back on the train.

This week's goal: Keep building

M- rest
Tu- 20min recovery swim and 2hr recovery ride
W- 20min conditioning and 2:05 run
Th- 1:05 swim (4x15min and 5min cooldown)
F- Fun gravel happy hour with the team. I get to see if my hybrid is in working order and slap my nubby tires back on, whee!
Sa- 80min ride and 4mi run brick
Su- 2500yd swim, 90min run, and core

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone!

Cupcake: your doctor sounds freaking awesome and I hope you find a workable solution with her. Sorry it's the training, and sorry about the unstable uterus (seriously, they can't find a better word for that? Ugh. Ugh.)

TC: Glad you made it through a few busy weeks! Maine sounds lovely.

I'm doing all right just plugging away at my training plan. On Saturday I planned on a monster bike ride with lots of elevation to prep for LP 70.3. Consequentially, because I'm so slow on the bike I've been trying to push myself to stay in the large chainring more often. Hills and reluctance to gear down meant that I had my bike on the big chainring and the biggest ring in the cogset going up a hill, then I decided I just couldn't, and tried to get to the small chainring from there. The chain jammed and I crashed. Twice. In like 5 mins. And then I gave up and called for a pickup and didn't do my brick run neither. The ride actually wound up being like 30 miles with 2200 feet of elevation change, so it was still substantial, and I have road rash but no worse injuries.

I also didn't swim yesterday after my long run because my hubby had the car and I couldn't get to the pool. It was just a drill workout, so I'm going to try to do it in the open water swim this evening.

This week, I'm going to spend a few days in Lake Placid to check out the course! I'm excited.

M: swim and strength, make up yesterday's swim too
T: run and threshold bike
W: swim and strength
Th: bike and tempo run
F: to LP weeeee!
S: Bike the course, brick.
Su: Run. I don't think it's a great idea for me to run the full half marathom. It'll probably be more of a run/walk situation. Swim in the lake!

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 29 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad your endo thinks she can adjust the meds. Sounds like you have a good doc.

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Jul 29, 19 14:22
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 29 Edition [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
TC: Glad you made it through a few busy weeks! Maine sounds lovely.

it's a good place to be :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik -- that's some quality summer mileage! Hope your routine normalizes soon but enjoy ME in the meantime.

Cupcake, I hope you find a solution and it sounds like you're in good hands.

GiantNewb, we all fall at some point -- good job brushing yourself off. I hope you love Lake Placid. I'm envious especially after seeing at the IM posts this weekend <insert heart eyes emoji>
[edit: I once fell of my trainer and took out an entire bookcase. I wasn't on rollers. My bike was not moving. Fear not!]

My goals were:
Quote:
four bikes, four runs, 3 swims, and a rest day I'm seriously looking forward to. I have a race in two weeks and am ready to shed some fatigue.

I managed all my workouts despite some work travel and some cumulative fatigue. This is a sorta taper week for me rolling into race day with the same number of usual things but shorter, sharper efforts.
I'll be trying an anti-acclimation strategy for the heat and elevation. We'll see how that goes.

I hope everyone has a great week of training!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Last edited by: SoCalTricurious: Jul 30, 19 14:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've all been there Giant Newb. I once stopped on a hill, had an epic fail on the hill start when I decided to get going again, as a result of which my bike was basically unrideable and I was covered in blood. I got myself to a rest stop and sat there barely holding back my tears as random garbage truck drivers offered me their first aid kits. When my husband got back to me with the car, I had a full on ugly cry. Once I got cleaned up we went to a winery and I drank and ate my feelings.

My goals were 3 x swim, 4 x bike, 4 x run, 2 x strength. I missed one swim and both strength sessions but had an hour long massage and weeded the flowerbeds so the time was put to good use!

This week, same goals. My father is visiting so we'll see what he thinks of my current tee-total life. I'm actually not missing the drinking and have found it a lot easier than Dry-nuary. Ice cream has been a different story.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 29 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherezade, thanks for sharing your story. It was the fourth fall post-clipless pedals acquisition, counting the two separately. I ordered pizza while waiting for my friend to pick me up so it came like immediately on return home. What I'm saying is, I appreciate your approach to coping with emotions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GiantNewb - at least your fall was with purpose. :P I have fallen over at red lights before. The super, slo-mo fall in front of large audiences. And one particularly awesome one where I wasn't even moving - clipped in on one side hanging out before a ride and leaned the wrong direction.

Dr. Cupcake - yay for training, boo for feeling like crap. Is there a technical definition of an "unstable uterus". It makes me laugh and cringe at the same time.

My mind has already left work - too bad it's only Tuesday. I'm going backpacking this weekend - 5 days and 4 nights of mountain bliss. It will also be the longest I have ever been away from my (not so) small kids. I'm sure they will have plenty o' fun with their dad while I'm gone.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 29 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That reminds me of one group ride I went on where someone was showing off at the front of the group doing a track stand at the lights. They fell and took out a couple of others around them. Have fun hiking!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Late to this reply party, just back to NYC from CO (Vail). Landed at Newark at, wait for it....4 A M. M___er-f---er that was tiring.

Anywho, actually got my exercise in at 8800 feet in Vail. Damn. Had two short Zone 2 runs, one medium Zone 2 run, and one longer Z2 run. Couple core workouts. And what I shall refer to as a sorta forced march ride to Vail Pass from Vail Village. My husband was like yeah yeah let's rent you a bike and do Vail Pass. And I couldn't really gleam what I was in for. And I FORGOT TO TAKE MY INHALER. I had a pee stop (HIGHLY RECOMMEND VELOCIO FLYFREE bibs!!), a stop at the top, and two nervous meltdown stops where I was wheezing a bit partly due to sobbing and partly due to BEING AT F-ing 9k feet. HA. It was, of course, GORGEOUS. And it took me almost not even being in a gear. I was basically out of gears. Who are the people who do this who have any f-ing gears left? Are they human? Glances casting mild aspersion (under my helmet and sunglasses, tho I imagine it passed for a tortured smile on the outside) at E-bike riders---countless. Paging GiantNewb and others describing their falling-over moments-- while I didn't fall over, I did indeed walk up two small different sections to wait for it to level out to clip in. That happened. My husband did the best he could shepherding me up. At one point, he rode away, probably realizing that staying near me was going to result in either me sitting on the asphalt screaming or not actually stopping the sobs, OR if he rode away I would actually get it together just fine, thankyouverymuch. Which is where we come to this: there are lovely bathrooms and water available at the rest stop, and the descent takes approximately 1/11100000 as long as the ascent. I actually may have had fun on the descent. I'm not really a descender, yet...but I finally pushed my threshold for speed I'm not controlling- I think we hit 36mph. Hubs Strava claimed 41mph. I think it was 99mph. KIDDING but that's what it felt like.

So altitude: no joke.

Also, G-DAMNIT my hip is bugging me (torn labrum that may or may not actually be the cause) and it basically has not for the six months prior or for any other part of all this training. AAAAARRRRGGGGH. Not helping is the fact we landed at Newark at 4am today.....

Sorry for this selfish response. This is the only outlet for this at the moment as hubs witnessed the whole thing and my real life pals are supportive but also think I'm mildly insane :)--- may all of you have solid weeks ahead.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 29 Edition [YoMoGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was that on the Vail Pass Bike Trail? I looked it up on google maps and it looks amazing!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 29 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YES! And it is BEAUTIFUL, and from the Village you have a good 5 miles of a very nice bike lane- then just about 10 of bike-only path, which is very nicely maintained, smooth, in great shape, you name it. It "ONLY" averages 3.7% but let me just mention that it has a few short downhills- and the rest is climb or false flat. Sure helps to be surrounded by beautiful mountains. The descent is f a n t a s t i c. I felt pretty safe, didn't ride the brakes, just about kept up with my husband...
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 29 Edition [YoMoGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds so lovely YoMo! I've been to Lake Titicaca in Peru, at 12,500 ft. We did a slow climb over about a week in the Andes to get there, so I thought I'd be fine. Lord, though, I was bowled over by how terrible I felt. I'm impressed you did any biking at all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Friday to all. Last week was pretty good -- my usual three rides (one outside), three runs, a bit of PT and a barre class. I also got to spend a lovely Sunday afternoon relaxing with friends and eating barbecue, and the downtime was much needed.

Dr. T, hope you are making the best of the last of the time with your family and in Maine. (I've never been but it sounds great!). As much as I love my family and vacation I do also love getting back into a routine so I totally understand.
Dr_C, I can't even... unstable uterus??? As frustrating as that sounds I am glad you have a solution and a way forward, and it sounds like a good doctor. I hope you are getting through the week OK.
GiantNewb, sorry to hear about the crash, but glad to hear there were no injuries. Add me to the list of people who have also fallen off my trainer and crashed to the floor testing out my new pedals inside.
SoCal, sounds like you have a race this weekend? Good luck!
Scheherazade, that massage sound amazing! I would not feel one bit guilty about eating ice cream all summer long, lol.
edbikebabe, hope you are having an amazing time backpacking!
YoMoGo, that sounds like quite the mountain adventure! Hopefully your hip is feeling better.

I know I'm a bit late to the game this week but I hope you're all having a great one. I am hoping to get in a nice outdoor ride tomorrow before a family wedding, and to spend time with my sister-in-law and her husband this weekend, so it should be a good mix of training and family time.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply