Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? July 29 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope everyone is doing well.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Jul 29, 13 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M - 6 mi run + 45 min. yoga + 6.2 mi run
T - 36 mi bike
W - 11 mi run
T - 6 mi run + 4200 yd swim
F - 7.1 mi run + 45 min. yoga
S - 15 mi run
S - 36 mi bike

My goals had been swim 1-2x (check), bike 112 mi (nope but I did get SOME cycling in), run was "whatever" (done).
Stressful week with a test that didn't go well and a lot of schoolwork. Things have settled down a little but in the meantime I am having eating issues.
Goals this week: swim 1-2x, bike 112 mi (I will do it one of these weeks! third time's the charm), GET BACK ON TRACK WITH FOOD.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
July 29th?

Last week OK. 4 mi short on my run mileage goal for the week due to last week's run relay and being sore and needing time to recover.
Sore foot today. Might have to adjust this week's goals also. Ugh.
Bike goal last week met - Biked 4x with a lovely long weekend bike ride.
Got in an open water swim.
Volunteered at a triathlon.

This week, more of the same. Keep an eye on the foot. It's kind of weird. It is the top of my left foot. It didn't really bother me during the run, it started to hurt when I stopped. I iced immediately after my shower, which I'm sure helped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
Bike x 5 - done, even rode twice outside and it felt great. Can't wait to get yelled at for not riding zone 2 as directed. I hadn't been out by myself in a long time, and I kept picking up groups, so it was hard to not jump in and pull through a couple of times and chat with everyone. It was fun. This is supposed to be fun.
Swim x 4 - done. Had my speediest workout ever on Tuesday. I'm still slow, but should be interesting to see how this week's "midterm" TT goes! My arms are sore from back to back days of trying to un-guppify.

Same schedule as last week for this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- run x 6: WIN
- bike x 3: WIN with 4
- swim x 4: WIN
- core/strength x 4: WIN

Somehow I ended up doing over 16.5hrs of training last week - weird! Running is still quite slow but I'm getting the mileage in that I need for Midsummer Night's 30k - one long run left before taper. I hit a 30" PR for 500y free on Thursday, which was pretty awesome. My mtb is still a pain in the ass; I've finally narrowed the creaking problem down to the seatpost clamp, so a new one is on order. Been enjoying riding my old beater bike, and finally solved a problem on my CX bike - it seems the saddle nose had shifted up a bit somehow, which was causing me to curve my back to try to keep the same contact, which was messing up my neck. 2 degrees down and it's like a whole new bike, and I was putting out power I haven't seen in ages on a hilly ride yesterday. So that was win, but breaking a freakin' toe yesterday was rather a fail; fortunately it was ok for the ride & run yesterday, if a little uncomfortable. It's actually worse when I walk.

This week's goals:
- run x 6 incl last long run for MSNR
- bike x 3
- swim x 4
- core/strength x 4

Toe feels a bit better today - must ensure it heals well, and try not to let the long weekend get too out of control.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
My week was a down week, so it was nice and relaxing. 3 runs (16 miles), 3 bikes (80 miles), and 1 swim (2400 yds). I'm rested and ready to get back at it now. For more details, I just finished blogging about my weekly week recap at: http://racingrobsons.com/.../07/29/weekly_recap/ It's too much to retype here. :)

Beth @ http://www.racingrobsons.com/beth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still dealing with zombie elbow and sore R hip/back issues. Did ride a lot, including a 70k ride on Sunday - the longest since Leadman last Sept. 70k is not much but I felt good the entire ride, so I'll take it. I have been doing core & stretching and have been able to walk/run as long as I keep my core engaged. This will take a while I think - so no plans for racing for the near term. I am also going to review my ergonomics at work. I think it's not helping. I NEED a standing desk!!!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I NEED a standing desk!!!

Maybe you can get your boss to spring for a treadmill desk!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Determination, have you checked your shoe laces? I was starting to think I had a stress fracture on the top part of my foot a couple of years ago, and my coach (who is a chiropractor and also owns some running stores) looked at my shoes and had me tie them like I normally do. At 50+, I learned that I was tying my shoes incorrectly - that was all it took to fix it. Just a thought, hope it's something simple!

My week:

• 5 pool swims (one short @ 1100 yds on my rest day, and 4 full guppy challenge workouts of 2600 yds plus an extra bit here and there)
  • One open water swim that felt great - it was probably the strongest, smoothest, swim I've done in forever.
  • One open water swim "clinic" with some newbies - it's not really a clinic, but I'm trying to encourage people who are nervous about doing their first open-water race to come and practice at least once. There's a women-only race on Aug 18, and I can't wait to see how my ladies do!
  • 2 "return to running" walk/run sessions - total distances 5.1 and 5.8 with 3-3.5 consecutive, but slow, miles running. On my "long" run, I went by a splash park in my neighborhood ~mile 5 and stopped, took off my shoes, and cooled off with the kids - it felt awesome, and they thought it was funny to see the lady in her clothes playing in the water! It was in the 90s and humid - not the best time to be trying to start up again, but I think I'll add that to my route on a regular basis.
  • 2 sessions on a recumbent exercise bike AND I got my bike back Sat night! I'm at 7 weeks post-crash and just went out for a short, easy ride to get that "first" ride out of the way. I was happy with how it went mentally, but physically I was pretty miserable - my head is too heavy for my neck to support ;-( Headaches are still a constant issue, but I'm optimistic.
  • 2 PT sessions with my awesome therapist who understands me and my lifestyle and tries to come up with ways to accommodate me without letting me undo the good we're doing. We're doing some strength and conditioning stuff after my PT sessions and it wipes me out but boosts my mood every time.
I'm debating about racing the women's race on Aug 18 - my coach said to do it just for fun, and I'm debating about whether I can do that. It's a small race and one of the few where I usually place in top 5 in my AG, so it's hard to let go and just have fun. I might do it with some of my new ladies who are nervous, we'll see.

Sorry my posts are always so long - nobody I work with cares the least bit about triathlons, nutrition, etc, and I live in a small town with no tri friends nearby, so I've adopted the Womens and the Guppies as my virtual workout partners.

Everyone have a great week, be safe!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 29 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait...it's monday again already??!!
Okay-
Last week- Swam once, ran twice, rode once. worked a swim meet- long , almost 12 hour days on my feet out in the sun, did run between sessions on friday. no wednesday trainer ride due to coordinator being out of town (for a race) so went to run injury prevention clinic. Riding was good, though I'm always stuck in no-mans land during my group rides (the front group averages 20+ mph, I average 15-17 mph, and the back group is 14-15mph) I'm able to stick with the guys a bit longer each time, as long as there aren't too many hills ;)
This week-
Monday- S=2200 yds, R=45 min/track or hills
Tuesday- Rest Day
Wednesday- B=trainer 45 min, R=tempo 45 min
Thursday- Open water swim & run 30/20
Friday- Rest Day
Saturday- Brick workout 90/30
Sunday- B=2 ˝hrs

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D
Quote:
Quote:
etermination, have you checked your shoe laces? I was starting to think I had a stress fracture on the top part of my foot a couple of years ago, and my coach (who is a chiropractor and also owns some running stores) looked at my shoes and had me tie them like I normally do. At 50+, I learned that I was tying my shoes incorrectly - that was all it took to fix it. Just a thought, hope it's something simple!

x2 I have also had shoelaces cause problems!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do I know if my shoes are laced "wrong"?

Good heavens, to think I might have been doing it wrong for 25 years...

I use elastic laces in my one pair (ran in them on Sat.) and then non-elastics in my other pair (used them on Sun.). I rotate shoes, they are two different styles even.

Ended up taking last night off from running to be conservative. Intending to check things out on a short easy run tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
D
Quote:

Quote:
etermination, have you checked your shoe laces? I was starting to think I had a stress fracture on the top part of my foot a couple of years ago, and my coach (who is a chiropractor and also owns some running stores) looked at my shoes and had me tie them like I normally do. At 50+, I learned that I was tying my shoes incorrectly - that was all it took to fix it. Just a thought, hope it's something simple!

x2 I have also had shoelaces cause problems!

x3 - my fav model of trainers (Brooks Launch) only fits right if I skip a set of holes near the front, as my feet are quite wide and this lets them flex a bit more without pinching.

Here's a site that gives different lacing patterns to address various foot issues: http://www.fieggen.com/...ce/lacingmethods.htm

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I just skip crossing the laces over where my foot hurt and run the lace straight down to the next eye, then continue the cross-over pattern - does that make sense?

Good luck!
Diane
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it makes sense. It's just that this is totally new and out of the blue. Never happened before Sunday, and the foot only started hurting after I was done running.

I feel it when not in shoes, I think I made a tendon angry. I feel sore when I pull up on my toes - I can pretty much identify which tendon is sore - extensor hallucis longus.

I'm thinking it was just from all the hard racing I did last weekend. Some on trail, which I almost never run on because I'm so darn slow on trails and my ankles are just so unstable.
And quite a bit on sand - which I also pretty much never run on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like everyone is having a good week despite all those niggling injuries! Healing good wishes to all who are struggling with comebacks. Patience is your friend.

Last week was a recovery week for me - raced the past three weekends in a row - all sprint tris - but the racing in the nasty heat and humidity took a big bite out of me. Legs were still talking to me during my short ez runs even at the end of last week. Racing went well, set a big PB at the NJ State Tri, knocking 7min off of last years time and finishing in top 20% of age group and overall.

Last weeks training:
2 swims with masters group;
2 rides (one EZ, one hills); and
4 runs which were mostly EZ except for a hilly, muddy, very fun trail run on friday.

This week, goal is to get back into the swing of things on fresh legs Running will be much nicer now that the nasty heat & humidity that plagued the east coast for most of July is outta here for a little while.

Goals for this week:
3 swims - one done
3 rides - one done
5 runs

Happy training to all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't usually post in here because my training has been very sporadic, but I'm starting to swim again and I have to say it's so wonderful to be able to swim without needing a break. I haven't been swimming in about 6 years. Got in the pool again 3 weeks ago. Started with 50 meter repeats with a break. The next swim was 100 meter repeats with a break. This time I was able to keep swimming with no breaks needed!! Really surprised how quickly it all came back. Was worried it would take months until I could swim for a long time once again. Feels great!!

First triathlon in 6 years is coming up in 2 weeks. Only a sprint, so it will be relatively easy to finish, but I was worried about the swim. Now I know I'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crummy week. 3 workouts, one vastly shorter than it should have been. Zero swimming.
ALL the stress. ALL the wedding planning. Long soul-draining work days. I miss my regular workouts but have felt utterly drained.

Lame lame lame. On the other hand, I have confirmed my registries, gotten my invites out, finished the website, fielded calls about dress codes, chosen the tuxes, selected a backdrop, scheduled events, found an officiant, and confirmed hair/makeup folks for my wedding party. I might actually get married.

I'm tired now. :/

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 29 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't beat yourself up! Give yourself permission to enjoy wedding planning and the whole process. It's a wonderful time to share something really special with the people you love.

If you are worried about losing all your hard fought fitness gains, just focus on trying to get just a couple of quality workouts in - keep them short, but high intensity. And remember, you can jump back in full force after you have enjoyed your wedding day!

When is the big day?
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 29 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the digital hug. I feel like I'm behind my timelines, even though I'm within good ranges. I'm trying to be supportive of my fiance's training (he's doing IMAZ in Nov) so while he's on long bike rides, I'm driving up to the venue to discuss who is allowed to give a speech and how I'd like napkins folded *facepalm*. And because I'm not training as much, I'm not losing the weight I wanted to lose prior to the wedding. Oh well.

September 14th is W-Day. No honeymoon planned this year, so after the wedding, my only concerns are training and work. I do project-based consulting and my project ends the week before the wedding and I'm taking the week before the wedding off for final prep.

One of the cats has also started going ballistic and meowing at our bedroom door at 4am. No matter how many times or days we get up and squirt her with water... no sleep for me. It's just evil when I have 7am meetings every day.

Sorry for the whining :/ I'm just overwhelmed.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good news - foot pain is gone. Ran last night and no pain, during or after. Whee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
30 miles of run/walk and 4.5 hours on the bike, inc. my first road ride in months. But the increase in volume has jacked up my back/hip again, so I'm not sure how this week will go.

Glad to hear that others are making progress and having fun races.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hooray! Glad you've found some relief!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Well, I figured the pain was just some one-off type of thing, as I have never had it before.
Maybe a "I stepped weird" on the midst of my run.
I am not usually plagued with these types of things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on my performance the last few weeks (2-3 workouts) and increased level of stress due to work/wedding, I made an executive decision to take a haitus from my training. I want to keep working out, but not have the weekly disappointment of being unable to meet my coach's plan. I'll keep following along with you all, but not making grand plans for improvement.

Quote Reply

Prev Next