Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? July 26th
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- 4 runs (aerobic with strides x2, hills, intervals like 4x(4' at 10k RP + 2' recovery)) - DONE + - I managed 5 runs!!! ;-)
- 2 swims - DONE including 1 OW
- 3 rides (likely 2 on the trainer and one long ride this weekend) - Not done - only got in 1
- some swim cord work x2 (my upper bod is pretty weak still) - DONE
- Less wine this week ;-) - DONE

Didn't ride enough because.... we got a dog! Yay!

This week:
- get used to the dog, her schedule, etc. (i.e.: 2x1hr walks each day)
- 2x runs
- 2x trainer rides
Looks like I won't be doing the OLY in 2 weeks, I'll be hanging with the dog so I'll sherpa for P. It's too early to even think of kenneling her for a night.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 26th [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of dog? How old? Pics? :)

Last week was both oh so good and oh so bad. I'm feeling great again, very motivated, strong, etc. BUT, I made some stupid choices and injured myself a little. It went something like this:

(Wednesday pm) I didn't do my run yet. I want to watch SYTYCD. I can't do both at once. I know, instead I will jump rope in my living room for 45 minutes, although I never jump rope, because that is totally equivalent to running 9 miles. And I will do it in my bare feet because I am too lazy to go get my shoes. (Thursday am) Damn, my calf hurts. (Thursday pm) My calf hurts, but I don't care, I will go run 9 miles anyway, in the pouring rain, and bust out my fastest time ever, because it isn't hot for once. (Friday am) What the junk, I cannot walk. At all. I can't get from the bed to the bathroom. Maybe crawling will work.

So Friday I skipped my workouts and spent the day in some old-fashioned R.I.C.E. But I got all my other ones in!! And I feel fine again, so that's good. :)
Swim - 3 (1 ow) -- did 2
Bike - 3 medium, 1 long -- did 3, including a 120!!
Run - 1 long, 3 medium, 2 short -- did 5 + jump rope

This week's goals:
Easy workouts, HIM this Saturday! :D I want to go 5:45, but I'm not sure if it's reasonable or not. Last time was 5:58, and I feel stronger and faster on all three, but I think the swim course was short last time. Flatter bike course this time, but chance of strong winds. We'll see...
Swim: 2 + race
Bike: 2 short, 1 medium + race
Run: 2 medium, 1 short + race

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Last edited by: FeltLikeTriing: Jul 26, 10 17:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had kind of a crappy week - I hadn't been eating enough and drinking enough water. This resulted in me not doing my long bike ride over the weekend and now I am racked with guilt and worry as I am doing IMWI in September and now is the time that I need to be getting these miles in!

AP - congrats on the new dog!!

FeltLikeTring - good luck on your HIM this weekend! Make sure you post a RR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the dog! That is amazing....dogs are the best. My guys say 'woof!' to your new addition. What is her name?

This week was more of running week....I honestly don't remember how often I ran though. But felt good. Need to get more hills in however.

Did a crappy open water swim but my sighting is fine on the bright side. Was quite anxious, one of the people who I think is against me in my psychotic symptoms was there but I didn't know until the end and I was able to act pretty normal around him after taking my meds and working on visualizing acting calm.

I am worried if I can't get the paranoia etc under control and be able to train that I won't be able to do my A race. I'm running out of time. One of the people on my crazy forum is a former triathlete and we've been talking about stuff, he has some ideas I think will help.

(Not strictly sports related but affecting my training all the same) So....I did good with my anxiety med! I'm supposed to take 3X/day and I missed one dose Saturday I think - we left the house and I was still pretty sleepy and only remembered after that I hadn't taken it. We met with my social worker and I told her that I'd upped my anti-psychotic as well and she was upset about that because she said it wasn't compliant even though my psychopharmacologist would be okay with me going up to the dose I raised it to, it's not what I'm prescribed. Sheesh. My bf said he was more comfortable with me taking my prescribed dose so that's what I've been doing though I'm not sure it's in my best interests. The social worker said I should go see my psychopharmacologist (psychiatrist) now but we decided to give the anxiety meds some time to work, since we're pretty sure anxiety is causing the paranoid/delusional issues. I did send his admin an email summarizing everything. The one problem I've been having is some cognitive issues, which could be med-related as I go back on the anxiety one or it could be related to having an episode. I was finalizing a policy last Thursday that has been reviewed at the highest levels, and at the end of a description of appealing decisions of the CEO to the Board, I wrote 'Families could go to the rink instead, and Thanksgiving Parade.' I got it back from my VP today - she was doing the final review before we send it out for signatures - and I have no memory of writing it nor any idea why I would've, as it contextually makes no sense and just no sense in general. Luckily she thought it was funny. Friday I couldn't figure out how to start the car - it took me about 5 minutes to get the car on, I just couldn't understand what to do - and I couldn't remember how to park (in my mom's condo parking) - again, it took me a REALLY long time to figure out how to get into the space and what I was supposed to be doing. I see my GP tomorrow so I will talk to him about raising my anti-psychotic and if there's anything else I could be doing/taking for my anxiety, though he generally doesn't do anything beyond what my psychopharmacologist tells him to do. I don't think it'll be an issue getting him to agree to go up in my anti-psychotic, but I don't expect anything will be changed around my anxiety.

EDIT: GOOD LUCK Feltliketriing!!!!
Last edited by: Teags: Jul 26, 10 19:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I survived 93 miles of humidity/heat on the bike and 16 miles of running yesterday.

IronMan Canada can't get here soon enough for me.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't wait to see pics of the dog and thanks for starting the thread.

My goals last week involved swimming and cycling, but I only swam once and I did not ride. I ran 5 of 6 planned times, for 40.4 miles total, and 5 miles of walking. No yoga. I also did not do well with only eating 500 calories at night. I only REALLY binged once but most nights I kept munching on stuff. I am making progress - journaling helps so much and keeping a food/feeling log - but still have a way to go.

Goal for this week - 3 swims, 6 runs, at least one ride. Continue to work on eating at night. Journal every day.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 26th [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a brick for the 93/16?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 26th [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good luck with all the med issues. You just reminded me I forgot mine last night. :(

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 26th [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I survived 93 miles of humidity/heat on the bike and 16 miles of running yesterday.

I'm so excited for IMC! My bf and a bunch of his friends are doing it.

And I get to hang with the other wags....we've already scheduled our spa appointments for when the guys are out on the bike. The single loop gives us more time, in LP last year we did the spa/lunch thing but really had to keep an eye on time so we could cheer the guys on as they went out on the second loop.

We're right across from a beach though, so hopefully I can work on my OWS in a completely sane fashion!

Good luck at IMC!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The dog is a 3.5yo female Lab X Foxhound named Heidi - very pretty girl, very affectionate, sweet temperment. However, so far, it's not going that well, she came from a somewhat rural property and even though our yard is fully fenced, she's just way too high energy (yes, even after 3+hrs of exercise a day - 1hr run in the morning; 45min yard/ball play at lunch and after work; 1.5hr walk after dinner) and too unsocialized (no off leash dog park for her)... I'm not sure she's a good fit for us. We're going to give it til Friday and make a decision then. The former owner is OK with her coming back, so we'll just deal with it if it needs to be...

:-(

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I'm so excited for IMC! My bf and a bunch of his friends are doing it.

And I get to hang with the other wags....we've already scheduled our spa appointments for when the guys are out on the bike. The single loop gives us more time, in LP last year we did the spa/lunch thing but really had to keep an eye on time so we could cheer the guys on as they went out on the second loop.

We're right across from a beach though, so hopefully I can work on my OWS in a completely sane fashion!

Good luck at IMC!

That sounds like a blast actually... mmmm, spa day!! I'm jealous. ;)

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well it's good the former owner can take her back if it doesn't work out.

I personally am not a fan of dog parks (you never know about the other dogs, or more importantly, the owners - all you need is one dog to get aggressive and you've got a big mess on your hands. JMO).

But - it sounds like you are doing great with her exercise. I'm wondering if some of her energy is because she's too new to feel settled yet? ??? How is she in the house? Can she settle or is she restless, does she destroy stuff?

You didn't mention mental work with her. That could really help to settle her as well as you'll be wearing her out mentally. It could be as quick and easy as 5-10 minutes here and there or longer sessions. You could also practice calming behaviours during this training.

Marker training is a great positive way to work with a dog. Karen Pryor has a great website on it (clicker training, which is marking with a clicker) that seems to be down at the moment.

How much obedience training does Heidi have?

You could also do fun stuff like searching (for a toy or scented article) in the house. Doing some fun tracking outside could really engage her mentally as well. If you do want to track I have some friends who do Schutzhund tracking as well as SAR tracking so I could poll them for thoughts on how to start out.

If you do keep her and want to hike/backpack with her, I have a couple of different Ruffwear backpacks that we're not using due to changes in size (I may be a fat ass but I keep my dogs nice and thin)....would be happy to see them go to a good home rather than gathering dust.

EDIT: You could also do agility exercises with her, to engage her mentally and physically. You could do a class, or you could wander down to your nearest playground and work with her on it for free.
Last edited by: Teags: Jul 27, 10 11:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM'd you. Yeah we can see how Agility or similar would work for her... we're just worried that maybe we got in over our heads... and aren't really ready to handle it. Thx again.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goal last week:
2 Swims: Check. But both were in pool instead of OW.
2 Rides: Check. Both outside though. Couldn't bear the planned trainer workout.
2 Runs: 1 fartlek, 1 long run planned. Sucked. Missed the Fartlek so I made the originally planned trainer ride into a Brick. 17 bike/4.5 run. Temps were still around 90 at 7:45 at night. Trudged 3 miles and called it done. Skipped the long run and did it on my planned rest day this week.

Plan for this week:
2 Swims: 1 done. 1 OW planned for Friday. We'll see if Lake Michigan cooperates.
2 Rides: One regular:18-20 miles. One Long: 30 miles
3 Runs: Does the one from last week that I did on Monday count for this week?

The oly race is a week and a half away. Next week will feature some tapering. I realize that Chicago in July is usually hot as ass but it makes running after work a real challenge. I need to get up and do it first thing in the AM although that's easier said than done even though I go to bed at 10:30 every night. Funny thing is that I can get up and go swimming but I drag when it's a run in the AM.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 26th [SynchSkater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no the run on last monday doesn't count for this week :-)

I'm better at getting up to run than I am getting up to swim. Hope it's cooler for you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jesus Christ it's so much more peaceful on this side of ST O.O

I've had a great week, thanks for asking =D
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 26th [FeltLikeTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just did a camper overnight, I am so tired. I didn't binge on s'mores :D I just had one. So proud of myself!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 26th [spacebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race went pretty well! I managed to post a 5:41:36, so I'm pretty happy with that. I would have loved to be in the 5:30-somethings, but what can you do.

Started out really rainy, all my stuff (shoes, socks, towel, helmet pads, etc etc) was soaked through, but luckily it stopped halfway through the swim and the bike course started drying out halfway through. Swim went okay, pretty average, nothing exciting. I actually swam fairly straight, whereas I usually pull left, so that was good. I think I have my sighting down finally. Transition was looooong, we had to run way up the beach in the sand. Had to wring my socks out before I put them on. The bike went well, I held 20mph. It was really flat and brand new roads for about 1/2 of it. Quite a bit of drafting, had a guy actually tell me flat out, "I'm going to draft you now because you're doing really well and I can't keep up." (um, excuse me?!?!) The run was good too - I wasn't feeling the greatest, had to stop at the loo once, but I only walked a few aid stations and put down my fastest half marathon (including opens) ever. :D I'm finally getting better at this running thing!! My sister was volunteering at the finish line, so that was pretty sweet too. Hubby did the race also, and went 5:25:24. I ALMOST matched him on the bike, I think he beat me by about two minutes. Beat him on the swim, but that's nothing new or exciting. ;)

-----

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats!
splits?

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 26th [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
congrats!
splits?

Swim: 38:56 (2:02/100m, 1209/2282 overall, 58/135 AG)
T1: 3:34
Bike: 2:47:24 (20.07mph - 832 OA, 26 AG cumulative)
T2: 2:51
Run: 2:08:51 (9:50min/mile - 1034 OA, 33 AG cumulative)

In defense of my AWFUL transitions, everything was really wet, and the run up from the beach was long and transition was really long and narrow. I'm not typically great, but usually a minute or so faster in each.

-----

Last edited by: FeltLikeTriing: Aug 3, 10 8:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicely done! You'll catch hubby.... soon... ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply