Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? July 1 / Canada Day edition
Quote | Reply
Happy Canada day!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 1 / Canada Day edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was directed a workshop/conference thing all of last week. My goals were to get in whatever I could, ride 2x, and use healthy coping skills. 5/7 on the latter; managed the other two. I did a sprint yesterday - there was a malfunction in the timing system, so we have no results. It was an all-women's race, with a sprint and "mini" distance that started at the same time on a multi-loop (for the sprint) course. I didn't wear a watch so the only things I can say are (1) I outswam everyone in the sprint, and all but one person in the "mini" and (2) I didn't win, but I think I was 2nd - no lower than 4th. I had fun :-)

totals for the week (I was in a meter pool for 2 days, hence the odd swim lengths)
5621.6 yds swim (4x)
22.5 mi bike (2x)
38.65 mi run (7x)

goals this week are to ride M-Fri, and use healthy coping skills. I'm in Oklahoma until midday Friday and have a 5km loop with no cars... hence the bike goals ;-)

Happy Canada Day and happy 4th of July to everyone.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Jul 1, 19 9:46
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 1 / Canada Day edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy Independence Week, Ladies! I hope everyone has a chance to celebrate in a fun and safe manner!

Dr. TC- CONGRATS ON YOUR KICKASS TRI PERFORMANCE! I am seriously bummed for you about the damn timing mat situation, but good gravy you are fast. All that hard work pays off!

Last week's goal was to buck up and get back to training for real (or something like that), and I mostly did. The heat really started getting to me by the weekend and despite what I thought was decent fueling and hydration, I totally underestimated what I should have done. I bonked HARD on my long ride/run brick yesterday, which I made up today, which means no real rest day this week. Whee.

This week's goal- conquer the heat, using actual tangible methods to do so.

Monday- finishing up my 50 mile bike ride and 15min run brick -CHECK.
Tuesday- swim of some distance that takes me half an hour to complete
Wednesday- 90min run with prehab and conditioning
Thursday- 90min Zwift and strength
F- 2600yd swim and core, also volunteering at the Natural History Museum all day
Sa- 103min long run with prehab. Also hosting BBQ and related shenanigans
Su- HIM distance ride and 30min run brick

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Dr. Tigerchik and thanks for getting us started.

Nice work getting back to it, Cupcake -- good luck on your big week.

My goals were:
Quote:
4 bikes, 4 runs, and 4 swims -- maybe even a fifth swim if I can get back in the ocean.

I did 4 of each plus a yoga class. While my ankle and calf are structurally back to normal but the wound is still a little icky so I stayed out of the ocean. It was a big week for me volume-wise and I didn't have a rest day last week (since I took a few days off the prior week from the bite) so I am very happily chilling today. This is another big week, 4 bikes, 4 runs, and 4 swims but it should be manageable with the extra long weekend.

On a personal note, last week I achieved my quixotic goal of staying healthy for a year. This is the second time since the nineties I've managed that so hooray. I wrote a lot of words about my feelings on IG if anyone has too much time on their hands.

Happy Canada day to my northern neighbors, happy training to all!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 1 / Canada Day edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SoCal - I loved your shareholder report! Congratulations on achieving your goal.
Dr TC - nice work; I'm glad you had fun!
Dr_C - well done on getting it done!

My goals were:3 x swim, 4 x bike, 4 x run, 2 x strength. Get my last fricking assignment done.
I managed it all except for one strength session (unless lifting cake to my mouth counts). The long weekend has been glorious with lots of sleep, good food and time with Dan. The no-alcohol is going well. Managing the ice cream intake has been okay so far too.

This week: 3 x swim, 4 x bike (one done), 4 x run, 2 x strength. Prepare for the relatives descending on me on Friday.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 1 / Canada Day edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am seriously bummed for you about the damn timing mat situation
LOL. I'm not. I would have been for a longer race, but this was super short... 300 yd / 16.5 mi bike / 2.25 mi run. (The advertised distances were 500m swim, 22 mi bike, 5k run but the RD decided to make the bike shorter... the run distance I am estimating - no way it was a full 5k, by a lot).

Quote:
103 min seems oddly specific. Care to elaborate? you've piqued my curiosity, LOL.

also yeah IT'S HOT

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 1 / Canada Day edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
On a personal note, last week I achieved my quixotic goal of staying healthy for a year. This is the second time since the nineties I've managed that so hooray. I wrote a lot of words about my feelings on IG if anyone has too much time on their hands.

That's a huge deal. What's your IG handle?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
I am seriously bummed for you about the damn timing mat situation

LOL. I'm not. I would have been for a longer race, but this was super short... 300 yd / 16.5 mi bike / 2.25 mi run. (The advertised distances were 500m swim, 22 mi bike, 5k run but the RD decided to make the bike shorter... the run distance I am estimating - no way it was a full 5k, by a lot).

Quote:

103 min seems oddly specific. Care to elaborate? you've piqued my curiosity, LOL.

also yeah IT'S HOT

Haha, coach has me running for time and not distance right now. The run workout is as follows:
5 min warmup in Z1
8 repeats of: 10min in Z3, 1min recovery in Z2
10min cooldown in slow Z1

I'm basically going to die doing this on Saturday when the temps are supposed to be north of 90F and the heat index real feel will be north of 100. I may chicken out and get it done indoors because this weather is nonsense and I felt like complete ass after my long run last weekend in the heat index of 97F.

Also, what gives with the RD that can't do math or perform basic IT on their equipment? Is this company known for being sketch when it comes to their races? That gets a big hell no from me.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 1 / Canada Day edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also, what gives with the RD that can't do math or perform basic IT on their equipment? Is this company known for being sketch when it comes to their races? That gets a big hell no from me.

The RD owns a timing company, so you have a good point - if I do more races he directs, I'll do some sleuthing. My biggest race pet peeve, as I suspect anyone could guess, is short swims. I get the feeling that people think they can just toss the buoy out a ways and call it good.

Be careful if the heat index is that high; don't hesitate to stay indoors, or do part indoors, if that is safer. Someone my dad knows from work was hiking with his kids in Utah this past year and the teenage son died due to heat illness. It's a real thing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone!

I'm really overwhelmed with work at the moment, so I'll keep it short. First: y'all inspire the heck out of me, and whatever you did or didn't do last week, you're awesome. TC, the race sounds fun! Sorry you didn't get timed. SoCal, I would be interested in reading more of your story if you'd share the handle. Cupcake, go get some! Everyone else rocks!

Last week was ok. I signed up for a local sprint race at the last minute, and I continue to get fast but am still slow. I made all my training goals.

This week, I have a few things going on. Two work deadlines, and I went to the doctor last week, and I have to go off caffeine and whole fat dairy... I live on coffee, ice cream, and whole milk, so it's a big change. So, I'm already a little grumpy and I have this really full week and I don't know how I'm going to make my deadlines. Literally, there isn't enough time. I also woke up with a kink in my back, so I took the day off from training. I'm struggling to see how 12 hours of triathlon training fits into a picture like this. But, I'm in caffeine withdrawl so I'm just going to do my best for the next few days and see how I feel in a bit.

The training plan for the week is pretty easy. I think it's supposed to be the quiet before the big training block storm.

2 strength, 3 swims, 3 bikes, 4 runs.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 1 / Canada Day edition [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Work pays the bills, training doesn't. Choose your energy priorities.

Also - (and admittedly I'm really bad at this one) - fit in what you can. No time for the scheduled 40min run? Go do 10/15/20min. Something is always better than nothing. Consistency matters, mentally and physically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik & GiantNewb, I PM'ed my handle.

Thanks Scheherazade, this was my fifth year writing the shareholder report -- eventually I'm going to run out of nerdy jokes but it hasn't happened yet :D

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SoCalTricurious wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik & GiantNewb, I PM'ed my handle.

Thanks Scheherazade, this was my fifth year writing the shareholder report -- eventually I'm going to run out of nerdy jokes but it hasn't happened yet :D

PM me too!!! I can always use some inspiration in my feed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weelllllll it started off real strong. The week prior my amazing in-laws had departed with Thing 1 and Thing 2 on a DISNEY CRUISE, so we had FIVE nights sans littles. My hubs went off to cycle 24/7, 2x2 (team of 4) around ICELAND (Cyclothon!) on Thursday night, and so then I had TWO nights just to myself. So what do I do with my time? I exercise, of course! Primarily before I have to get on a plane. I rode 23 miles to a swim clinic, did some drills and some speedwork in the pool, and then miraculously rode home! Biggest total number of miles ridden yet. Sunday was a travel day. Monday I went to Barton Springs in Austin, where I spent many many many hours as a kid just staring under water to see if I could spot the 400 lb catfish (myth, DUH), but where that day I swam 1500 m rather slowly. Tuesday I rented a bike, drove out to the Circuit of the Americas and RODE 9 laps of the Formula 1 racetrack. Apparently for a while now they open up the track to just bikes on Tuesday nights in June. It was F-ing AMAZING. Sunset was gorgeous. And even though I was practically shaking with hunger, the giant open parking lot was perfect for handling drills, and then the hot dog and Powerade (uh, not my normal post-exercise meal) was DELICIOUS. I lifted Wednesday. I did N O T H I N G Thursday except eat. I lifted Friday. Saturday I returned the bike and the 4 miles (4 tiny miles) of 90 degrees in the shade and 90% humidity- thanks, hometown, you're a peach- totally wore me out. Cue more excessive eating. Those chocolate chip cookies weren't gonna make themselves. Sunday was a huge long travel day. So this week is back on track. Hubs is recovering from Iceland, kids are in camp (THANKS CAMP! I LOVE CAMP!)--3 hours in the saddle today, upcoming. And a transition run. It's not terrible in NYC, but it isn't cool and dry at the moment. Also, daaaaamn, my Oly (HITS Kingston/Rosendale) is in TEN DAYS. What. All best to all. x Mimosa
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 1 / Canada Day edition [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh man, caffeine withdrawal sounds terrible. Can you have other sources of caffeine (like soda or tea) or are you not allowed any?
I'm with edbikebabe on the "do short workouts if that's what you've got time for."

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 1 / Canada Day edition [YoMoGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Monday I went to Barton Springs in Austin, where I spent many many many hours as a kid just staring under water to see if I could spot the 400 lb catfish (myth, DUH),

LOL. One of the camps I used to work at "has" a "friendly lake monster" named Echy (for Echo Lake).

Quote Reply