Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? July 16
Quote | Reply
How was it?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 16 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week: 3 rides (1 done), 6-7 runs (1 done) w/ 1 long and 1 speed workout; 2-3 swims

I rode 2x (times where it is split is commuting), ran 6x, and swam 5x. All swims were in the lake :D

M - 6 mi bike + 6 mi run + 6 mi bike
T - 5 mi run + 4000 yd swim
W - 11.5 mi run + 1500 yd swim
T - 7 mi run + 6000 yd swim
F - 9 mi run + 1000 yd swim
S - 25 mi bike + 4000 yd swim
S - 19 mi run

Totals: 16,500 yd swim + 37 mi bike + 57.5 mi run

Goals for this week: 2 rides, 3 swims, 6-7 runs

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tigerchik,

I know that I am new to this forum, but why so much running and swimming and not much on the bike? Just curious as to what your goals are etc.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 16 [lesage918] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like them better and don't have any races planned :-) I am planning on some 5-8 mile OW swims.

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:
- swim x 2: WIN
- bike x 3: WIN, though one of them was just an easy 20min ride to get down to the wharf and out to the run course aid station yesterday
- run x 4: WIN (5)
- core/strength x 4 w/focus on mobility: WIN

raced a hot, sunny, hilly olympic on saturday after really short & easy training for the last month. it kicked my ass, but i'm happy with what i was able to put into it and what i got out.

this week's goals:
- swim x 3
- bike x 2
- run x 4
- core/strength x 4

the olympic was supposed to be my "A" race of the season and tomorrow is my birthday, so i'm taking tonight off (after kayaking as part of the water safety team for yesterday's sprint and super sprint races and working a run course aid station after the swims were done) to go out to dinner with my mom and husband. going to take it pretty easy this week as my next race isn't until near the end of august.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
M: 40 mins at 7:00 pace.
T: 70 mins at 7:30 pace.
W: 5k road in 18:43. I huffed and puffed and even stopped at one point...not in tip top shape.
R: 40 mins at 8:00 pace
F: off.
S: 1 hour mountain bike, 30 mins bmx pump track, 26 min trail run (pace unknown), 2 hours tennis.
S: 60 min trail run (pace unknown possibly 8:30's).

Goals for this week: road bike, swim outside, actual running workout
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run 4X - WIN and they felt better as the week went which is good - the week prior felt like DONKEY (that's our codeword for ASS)
Ride 4X Commute and Commute+ at least once - WIN although the commute+ wasn't as long as I'd like
Swim possibly. - FAIL but pretty much knew that already ;-)
Will not have time to do core this week - audit on Thurs and Fri all day. Boourns. - Surprise small victory here, I managed one bonus WCP session. Yay!

Also had a few days off work early in the week which helped with stress/fatigue/poor eating. I got a massage, my back was a ball of knots. Felt a lot better after that.

This week:
Run 5X (40' aerobic with strides - DONE; 60' aerobic with strides - Wed; 45' interval *or* hill repeats - Fri; 90' steady - Sat; anything 10'+ off the bike - Sun)
Ride 3x (commute x2 - Tues & Thurs and one long ride on the weekend - Sun)
Swim once (yes really I swear I will swim at least once - Sat maybe???)
Weights/Core/Plyo 2x (Wed and Fri)

Other: (1) up the water intake, I normally don't drink very much water at all but it's been quite hot here lately and I know I'll regret it if I don't be more conscious about it; (2) drop the beer intake - as much as it pains me to write this (cuz I love beer) - Leadman is just over 2 months away and I am not looking forward to hauling an extra 5lbs over that mountain; (3) take my B12 more regularly; (4) stretch/golfball/stick to keep the nagging tightness/aches at bay.

Other Redux: Our side gig is getting very busy - just when it's getting crazy at work too. We are getting a lot of attention and need to find a space, execute a lease, finish up the licence application to the gov't, and go live. I think we can go live by Labour Day if we really work at it. Spent all day Sunday brewing and setting up bigger equipment (which is AWESOME!). Our first BIG brew batch will be this Saturday. If all goes well, I will celebrate with the long ride on Sunday, maybe 100k or so. Realizing that I am missing racing - but I know that this is more important. I am so out of shape compared to last year at this time, it ain't funnay. Leadman is likely going to kick me in the ass big time. Oh well. Can't have it all. Seriously considering booking an extra day or two in Aug off work to do a 4-5 day bike tour to get in some serious mileage. Maybe ride to Kelowna and back.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I had a good week last week, but didn't get any s/b in that I had wanted. My (running) coach suggested a half marathon on Saturday, so I decided that wasn't the time to increase my workouts. This week ... hopefully. :)

swim - lose - no workouts
bike - lose - no workouts.
Core - win - 3
weights -lose - no workouts
run - win 6 days, w/ 1/2 marathon. Time slower than I wanted but it was 80 degrees, 100% humidity. Came in 4th female, first female master. Small race.

This weeks goals
Swim 1-2
bike 1-2
weights 1-2
core 3
Run - recovery week, want 45 miles, over 5-6 runs.

Happy training everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too many PT and sport doc appointments and not enough training. Raced a sprint this weekend--which was good for breaking up the lc training.

This week it's back to it with 4 swims, 4 bikes (inc. 5 hour bike), 5 runs, 2 pt sessions and strength and stretching work every day.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 16 [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious--you and some of the other ladies here mention core work as part of your weekly routine. I haven't done "core work", so to speak, since college track. In fact, I don't do any strength work--or stretching besides occasional yoga--whatsoever. Is anyone else in my boat? It will probably all catch up with me in the form of some injury or biomechanical deficiency, but I just am too lazy for the whole situp thing. Perhaps someone can motivate me with a cautionary tale.

For the people who do "core" regularly, how long do you spend on it and what is your routine like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep starting this post then closing the browser window instead of posting Argh!

Mixed success last week. Doing a bit of a reboot. I'll be planning my own workouts instead of working with a trainer for now. We'll see how that goes. Certainly less expensive :-)

Mon & Tues - Rest
Wed - Run 25'
Thurs - Swim 30'
Friday - Walk to work and errands, around 4 miles total. It's been a very long time since I've done that much walking!
Saturday - Run 25' on my favorite trail

This week:

Sun - Off. Went to watch the Lake Stevens 70.3. Saw Mirinda Carfrea finish. She as so awesome. Inspiring.
Mon - Run 25' = DONE Threw in some Fartleks. Got mooned by two guys. Hilarious!
Tues - Strength training + 30' swim = Done
Wed - Run 20' Easy
Thurs - Strength training + cardio (maybe machines or swimming)
Fri - Run 20' w/Fartleks
Sat - Run 30' Easy trails
Sun - OFF

Will walk to work 1x this week. 20' each way. Probably Thurs since I can walk to the gym then home.

May swap Sat/Sun depending on my schedule of activities.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 16 [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So pretty :-)
Are your legs coming around? I know in other posts you've said they feel dead after 17 minutes or so.
We are rooting for you!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 16 [darkhorsepick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Core work is obviously anything that makes your core stronger. Some people include it in their other workouts, but for me personally, I try to do a specific core work out several times a week. I never used to, but I think it helps over all fitness, and also dec injury potential.
What I do depends on the day. Sometimes I do the core w/o from P90X. I also have McMillan core workout for runners (both DVDs - I do a better w/o when following than when making it up). If I'm at the gym I have a little routine there as well. My core w/o usually lasts 20-30 min.
Others are welcome to share what they're doing, but that's my routine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do what I call WCP - weights/core/plyo. It allows me to mix it up depending on how I am feeling/what I've been doing lately - and it keeps it interesting for me. I'll focus on the core part since that's related to your question.

- the p90x ab-ripper stuff is good. I do a bunch of that stuff - maybe about half the full set.
- plank, with variations i.e.: one arm up, one arm and opposite leg up, etc.
- lower leg ball raises (squeeze swissball between feet, raise legs, lower legs, go "ow")

I do ~10min after each weight/plyo session (i.e.: I do it last). I have an umbilical hernia (small) so I have to watch it - can't over do it.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 16 [darkhorsepick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i do 15-20mins of core/strength work on mon-thurs mornings before i head to the office (the rest of my training is done after work/weekends, but friday is my inviolable day off). i do the same warmup, but the meat of the workout is a little different every day although i always include one gluteus medius exercise:

warmup: circles with my wrists clockwise/counter-cw, then neck rotation, arms (swing in circles from first the elbow, then the shoulder, forward & backward), shoulders (circular shrugs fwd & back), then trunk circles (rotate from waist, keeping hips in place) and hip circles (squat down a bit and circle my hips around like a very slow hula-hoop motion). 8 reps of each exercise in each direction.

mon (bodyweight ex): steam engines, standing obliques, fire hydrants w/leg extension, supine forward leg raise, adductor lifts, planks, side planks

tue (heavy lift): squats, deadlifts, 1-leg exercises, dumbbell clean & press, pushups, lunges, side lunges, plies, windshield wipers

wed (upper body): Y/T/W/L exercises, bent-over dumbbell row, trunk rotation with resistance band, band pulldowns (use EVF position for swim-specific strength), band tricep kickbacks, rotator cuff lifts, internal rotator w/band, hip hikes on stair

thurs (core focus): clamshells, swiss ball exercises; bridges, hamstring curls, rollouts, pot stirs, russian twists, knee tucks, pikes, back extensions, crunches.

sometimes i sub in a plyometric day for one of the above, doing burpees, box jumps, single-leg jumps, mountain climbers, etc. haven't done that for awhile; should do so next week.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Third ride and third swim done this AM! I am proud of myself :D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to go! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work! I am on track too. It helps a lot for me to write it all down for y'all to see... :-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vineman!

First 70.3 on the 15th, and I finished in under 8 hours.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply