Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? Jan. 7 Edition
Quote | Reply
Tell us about it! Hope the first week of the new year was good for everyone.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 7 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a good week. I am back in Oregon. I just moved into a new house with 2 undergrad engineering majors and I am excited about that. I celebrated with Chinese takeout :-) That's what you do in a new place the first night, right? Take-out? That's how it always is in movies. (I am picturing newlyweds eating take out pizza in an empty house, picnicking on the floor ;-)

Last week was my last week of break. I got 2 drafts of papers done and I flew back across the country Friday night. The only eating issues were travel-related; I was tired and ate a bunch of candy trying to keep myself awake. It feels good to be doing better with food. Sport-wise, I kept the running under control, biked a couple times, and swam once (I think the goal there was 2x but I traded one to spend time with a friend, which is absolutely fine!)

M - 9 mi run + 30 minutes stairmaster
T - 2.3 mi run + 16 mi bike + 3.7 mi run
W - 9.3 mi run + 4000 yd swim + 45 min XC ski + 2 hr hike (the latter two with a good friend)
Th - 50 minutes yoga
F - 9.3 mi run + 1.5 mi walk
S - 10 mi run + 2 mi walk + 30 min. elliptical
S - 2.1 mi walk + 10 mi bike

Totals: 4k swim, 26 mi bike, 43.6 mi run, 6.5 hours of "other"

Goals this week: keep running under control, swim at least 3x, shoulder exercises 2x, bike 2x, write another paper (we're submitting stuff to conferences), keep doing well with food!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. First night in a new place is take out night. Way to do it up right!

Last week was decent. It was an odd broken up week because of New Year's but I made a plan to follow until I can get up and running (literally running) again.
Last week - 2 rides, 2 runs, 1 swim, some travel, 3 strength training workouts

Hoping I may have turned the corner on my running injury (or whatever it is) because the pain was much less and had moved slightly. Also wasn't sore later or the next day.

I also started using my fitness pal to track nutrition. It has been very interesting! Typically wasn't getting enough iron from food, and too much fat. The fat actually surprised me because I didn't think I was overdoing it in that department.
It's been sending me on what I call "new food adventures" and spurning me towards greater creativity in the kitchen.

This week: 3 rides, 1 swim, 2 runs and possibly try a third, 3 strength training workouts. Visit my ART person on Friday and investigate tibialis posterior. Keep tracking to eat healthy!
Longer term goal is to get back to 6 runs per week as I was doing all last summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:
- run x 6: WIN with 7
- bike x 2: FAIL with 1
- swim x 2 (assuming i can find an open pool): WIN with 3
- core/strength x 2: WIN
- xc ski x 2: WIN
- get out snowboarding (meant to yesterday, but tanker's ankle was sore from rolling it during our hike home from new year's celebration): WIN

this week's goals:
- run x 6
- bike x 2
- swim x 4
- core/strength x 4

i really need to get on my damn bike - i have a 70k off-road race in just over 3 months!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Well, I did something that jacked up my injuries, and have had to really pull back on the training and re-tune my expectations.

Ironically, running seems to have the least impact. Problem areas are cycling--particularly in aero, kicking on the swim, and too many repetitions or too heavy weights in resistance work.

So this week I'm shooting for 6 runs LSD; 3 swims, half of the volume pull; bike if my ouchies settle down; decrease number of reps; and planks every day!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 7 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, glad you are getting better, and Tri3 I am happy to hear you can run again too!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started the new year off on a down. On Monday, I ran a half marathon and for the first time in a 10+ year racing career, it rained the entire time. And not only did it rain but it was 32-degrees so it was a cold rain. I wouldn't complain too much about the temp if it was Chicago but I traveled to Forth Worth, TX for the race and was hoping for warm temperatures. The race was miserable. The course sucked - two loop/out and back on a concrete bike path around a park. I also was 4-days into a dose on antibiotics for a major sinus infection (which got worse during the flight to TX) so it was a lovely morning of being wet, hacking up yuck, and being dizzy. I met my super easy goal of finishing under 2 and finished 5th in my AG without running all that hard.

The week didn't get much better from there as I had surgery number 2 on my broken left wrist on Thursday morning. This time to remove the hardware (two plates and 9 screws). Two of the screws were stuck in the ulna/radius joint so they had to go. Thankfully, surgery number 2 should be the last and was much much easier than number 1. I did not have to go under general anesthesia (just max sedation and a nerve block in my arm) so recovery is much better. I also don't have to be immobilized. I got rid of the surgical bandage (sorta of cast like) yesterday and now just have gauze covering my stitches. I started very easy OT and didn't lose ROM in the surgery. We are hopeful that I will actually gain a bit more ROW once I can start really moving my arm when the stitches come out. The main side effects are numbness and tingling in my thumb, palm, and index finger. This should get better once the my median nerve becomes less angry. I also have horrible heartburn which makes eating almost impossible.

The Dr says no workouts till the stitches come out as the incision needs to be dry and clean but I am thinking I may try some easy workouts so goals for this week are to be smart and try to do at least 2 bikes and 2 runs. Swimming is definitely out. Hopefully this will be the last of my setbacks and my life can return to normal soon.

hope everyone has a good week.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 7 Edition [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of my good wishes toward speedy healing.

(And 32* and rain sounds miserable)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might want to think twice about those runs and bikes. Sweat can make you just as wet as water, and with stitches, the end result of that is not pleasant. Said from experience.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heal fast instigator! And do take it easy, it is the off season and laying low for a few days now while that incision heals is minor inconvenience compared to being down for a much longer time if the incision becomes infected. You will come back stronger than ever and you will have lots of motivation to train!

Whenever I've been injured, I take the down time to research training methodologies and have fun planning my comeback, setting small milestones and finding cool races to train for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was a good week of running for me. 6 runs - most runs ever in one week for me - all 3 to 6 miles at EZ pace. Am shooting for 70 runs in the 100/100 challenge and if I can keep up 5-6 runs/wk, I should make that goal.

Only one swim and one bike - need to get back to business this week!

Goals this week - stop fooling around and get some consistentcy back into my training. Going to keep a run focus through Feb so this week will be 6 runs, 3 swims & 2 bikes. My first tri is April 29 and I may do a few running races before then to see what I can do.

Am still specing out parts for building up my new toy but since the weather is going to hit 60 in NJ this weekend, I may put a track wheel on and take her out for a spin on the tow path. Then i can play with fit without worrying about pesky cables in the way. Who needs gears and brakes anyway?

Wishing everyone a healthy week of great training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't to much last week. However, this week is my new training program with my new coach... I'm tired already

Susan Harrell
http://www.endurancezone.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Missed a run last week because I fell asleep. My cat was being very snuggly and I'm blaming her.

Runs otherwise are feeling strong. The weather makes it hard to go very long because when my legs get wet from the cold rain they just don't want to move.

I switched my shoes to Hokas and they have made a huge difference. I was staying very sore after each run since switching to mostly sidewalk running but with the Hokas I'm not feeling that. I highly recommend them if anyone is dealing with soreness beyond typical aches and pains.

Weekly mileage was 25.

My half marathon is coming up on the 27th. I'm headed to sunny Carlsbad, CA and I can't wait. Just booked my hotel today. Yippee!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 7 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Missed a run last week because I fell asleep. My cat was being very snuggly and I'm blaming her.

That sounds awesome.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 7 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hokas

Those look awesome! Are they heavy?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very light! It is surprising because I thought the same thing. They feel lighter than my old running shoes, Brooks Glycerin.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 7 Edition [seh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seh wrote:
Didn't to much last week. However, this week is my new training program with my new coach... I'm tired already

New coach? That's exciting! Hope it's going well. Thanks again for having my back :)

The past week was pretty good, 7 runs, 2 bikes, and 1 swim. I'm doing the 100/100 challenge, and I got down 7 runs when I was sick for a week, so, in classic OCD fashion, I'm really trying to get caught back up on the runs because I want to stay in the running for hitting 100. I'm not sure if challenges are good for my personality or not. I can get a little whacko about stuff like that. I've figured out a 4.1 mile loop by our house, but it's on a dirt road that is super icy right now. It forces me to run slowly and more on my forefoot--I am still very much a heel striker on dry flat pavement (guilty!), but I'm trying to work on that.

Pushes and pulls are OK. I'm not progressing since post-sickness, but I'm not losing either, so I'll take that.

I also got my new trainer (KK Road Machine) and it is awesome. I also got some new spinning shoes, as I really couldn't stand to have mine in my truck with me anymore. Gross! I have no more excuses about the bike. Now, I just need to get more motivated about the swim...

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 7 Edition [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've figured out that run challenges are not good for me; swim challenges / total pts challenges are fine. I think I am also top 3 in the LR 100 workouts / 100 days challenge!

Your new trainer sounds awesome. I live in a bike-friendly area; I need to find a bike shop that has one so I can try it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a trainer now?

I do a lot of research before I buy something, so I totally understand if you need to try it before you buy it. I didn't, but I had talked to a lot of my roadie friends who said it was the way to go (and, certainly, a lot of STers love theirs too). If you can spare the coin ($460, for the trainer, stand and a trainer tube), you won't be disappointed. You can even ST on your phone while you're on the trainer, not that I've done that ;)

One of the main reasons i felt good about it is that I've heard so many awesome stories about KK's customer service. That is a huge plus for me.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an old mag trainer. It does work; the ability to go side-to-side on this one just seems cool!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 7 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First post here - I've been lurking for two weeks. I signed up for a few big races that seem to be coming up in a hurry (Tough Mudder in February and my first triathlon in April), so I've been focusing on my running and biking. I started the New Year off right with my first 10k! I've done 4 5k's in the past couple months and got my time from 42 min down to 30 min, so I was excited for my 10k to come in at 1:08. The really exciting part for me was that I /felt/ ten times better after 10k than that first 42 min 5k (where I was a ball of cramped calves, limping in).

I started a new job recently and they have a gym with MWF spin class at lunch - today was my 4th attendance and I am exhausted, but feeling much stronger.

I can't begin to tell you all how much I respect you and look forward to getting to know you as we continue this fitness journey!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I have an old mag trainer. It does work; the ability to go side-to-side on this one just seems cool!

That's the Rock n' Roll. The Road Machine doesn't really allow that. I can't speak to that particular level of coolness, but every time it flashes across the banner it catches my eye.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome :)

Congratulations on everything you're doing and especially on dropping that 5K time so fast. Strong work.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Watching my fiance train last year (and now this year for IMAZ) was great incentive, and with our wedding coming up in September, I want to be stronger and look better. He kinda tricked me into falling in love with multisport, buying me Chrissie Wellington's autobiography and a lot of fun toys (love my Forerunner 410!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agilecipher wrote:
Thanks! Watching my fiance train last year (and now this year for IMAZ) was great incentive, and with our wedding coming up in September, I want to be stronger and look better. He kinda tricked me into falling in love with multisport, buying me Chrissie Wellington's autobiography and a lot of fun toys (love my Forerunner 410!)

He sounds sneaky! JK! He sounds great and so glad you're liking your multisport journey.

--------
Quote Reply

Prev Next