Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Jan. 5 Edition
Quote | Reply
How's the new year treating you so far?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 5 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still sick. :-(

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far, so good. I wanted 6 runs, 3 bikes and 3 swims and I got them all. Did my first sufferfest workout; loved it and hated it at the same time.

We leave on holiday this Saturday so trying to be realistic about what I want to achieve this week: 6 runs, 3 swims, 2 bikes is the plan. It's hard to muster up the motivation given there is an extreme cold warning in place.

I also have a hair appointment this week so in the (for me) terrible stage of trying to decide what I want to do with it. I haven't had it cut since July so it's in definite need of a tidy but beyond that, who knows...
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 5 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you going to do ToS? I've decided to give it a go as a boost to my bike fitness.

On Saturday I did a proper brick for the first time in about three and a half years. It's good to know that I still run off the bike well but damn that hurt.

Goals for the week:
Strength * 2 - back to yoga after a break over the holidays!
Run * 3
Bike * 3 - need to start adding in harder rides in addition to the bike commute to get ready for Tour of Sufferlandria so this is just counting hard days.
Swim * 2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty good. Enjoyed the last of the holiday/home time. Enjoyed my new treadmill - now with tv (and Gilmore Girls)!!

Did 2 quality (for me) treadmill workouts with some weights/core afterwards. And the fun run with my sister. I'm super proud of her - but I was still a bit bummed I didn't get to go at my own pace. The weather was perfect too - nice to get outside before the deep freeze hit.

This week: 4 runs & a daily little core/body weight thing I found on the internet. On the eating front - no snacking past 8pm & back to healthy dinners/bringing lunches to work.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 5 Edition [FyreHaar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure ToS would kill me. I'm working my way through TR base at the moment so it's a nice distraction more than anything I could do a lot of. You'll have to tell us how it goes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is Tour of Sufferlandia?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.thesufferfest.com/...ian-national-events/
http://www.thesufferfest.com/...-sufferlandria-2015/

It's a nine day "Grand Tour," each day doing Sufferfest (bike trainer) video(s).

I'm planning on dialing down (setting my FTP low in TrainerRoad) and giving it a go as a massive bike block. I'm sure it's going to suck in the moment, but I'm doing it for fun so if I have to trim my FTP to 70% to get through, that's what I'll do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's great in that terrible kind of way. When I did it, I definitely rode everything at 70-80% of the recommended intensity because there was just no way I was surviving some of those workouts.

This year has sucked so far as I have been fighting shin splints that I developed from running a half-marathon in flip-flops the weekend before Christmas. I have a marathon in two weeks so I'm crossing my fingers that healing happens quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 5 Edition [csikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's my plan, dial down to survive.

Flip flops? I feel like there is a story there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FyreHaar wrote:
That's my plan, dial down to survive.

Flip flops? I feel like there is a story there.

Yeah - I want to hear the story too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Husband and I planned to run 14 long races (> half marathon) in 2014. Last race of the year in early December, we showed up on Sunday when the race was actually on Saturday (first time ever in 3 years of racing). No problem, we left for our Christmas vacation early so we could add in a last minute race in New Orleans.

Race morning, we leave my mom's house for the race an hour a way, arrive 45 mins early, get a good parking spot, etc. Go back to the car to put on our shoes and surprise, I forgot my shoes (also first time ever in 3 years of racing). Options were to not finish off the year's goal by not running, run barefoot, run in my socks, or run in flip-flops. I normally run in Vibrams and Nike Frees so I thought I had a decent chance at pulling this off. I was able to finish about 10 mins slower than my normal half-marathon time and seemed pretty ok minus a few blisters.

Fast forward a week or two and I have some lovely shin splints that I'm pretty certain were caused by the half and then continuing to pile on the miles in the week after since I was in warm weather and on vacation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 6: WIN despite the weather
Swim x 3: WIN
Bike x 3: WIN including an outdoor ride in a whiteout!
Core/strength x 3: WIN

This week's goals:
Run x 6
Swim x 4
Bike x 3
Core/strength x 4
Do not get injured or sick in this stupid weather

Almost time to taper. I'm well over race weight and having some storminess in my head, but at least there's racing coming.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Jan 6, 15 11:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The story is amazing, the story plus the photos of you rocking the tutu and the T-shirt while getting it done in flip flops is priceless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bada$$. The shot on the upper right is a great photo!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals for this week: day off from running done!, swim 3x nope but that's ok, bike 3x done! commute miles two of the days but it counts

flew Thursday night - Friday across the country and did ok with food, so proud of myself for that.
COmputer hard drive crashed = bad, but did not lose too much stuff

M: 8 mi run
T: 8 mi run + 1000 yd swim
W: 10 mi run + 0:30 stair master
T: 8 mi run + 0:30 stair master
F: 9.5 mi run + 3 mi bike
S: 25 mi bike
S: 12 mi run + 6 mi bike

totals 1k swim, 34 mi bike, 55.5 mi run

goals for this week: bike at least 50 miles, swim at least 15k, day off from running, no food issues

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was a nice week of loafing and sleeping and eating. Skated three times, ran four times.

This week, I'm in Toronto (Mississauga) for work so I'll be skating with the Toronto club tonight in Etobicoke. It's f*n freezing out here (-18degC as a HIGH today) so the rink will seem warm :-). I cannot run on the hotel treadmill (it's a POS), so that'll be it for me. I have a short track meet on Sat with K, should be fun.

Long track meet in Prince George in another week, then two more weeks til worlds masters!!!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is AWESOME, love the kit :-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 5 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long are you in Sauga for? Tanker and I both work there (401 & Hwy 10) - would be fun to get together but busy until Friday after 5.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I fly out Fri at 6pm :-( I should be back in late Feb (unless I change jobs!)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was out running and feeling great (my second run outside after last year's ankle surgery, yeah!) when I tripped and broke my foot. High ankle sprain, fracture in the 5th metatarsal.

So now I'm NWB for a week until we take new x-rays, and off for 8+ weeks. I can start PT to strengthen my formerly "good" side at 4 weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to swim and ride on the trainer in a month or so, so I can try and keep some fitness, but this is a pretty big blow as I was JUST starting to feel good and make some progress. My left side isn't nearly as stable as my right was when I had surgery on my left last year, so I'm really struggling on just one foot.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 5 Edition [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am really really sorry :-(

You said you can try and swim/bike in a month or so; are you allowed to swim now? When I had a metatarsal sfx, I swam but only pushed off from the wall with the non-injured foot. If kicking hurts, you could just swim with a buoy. I don't know if either of those options appeal to you, but I thought I'd mention them in case.

Many (((hugs))).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh no - that super sucks. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh crap! Many, many hugs your way! I am so sorry to hear this.

I haven't been posting much lately but have been following all of the womens and was so excited to hear about your comeback.

Have some wine, dark chocolate and dream about what can happen in 8 weeks.

Hugs, hugs, hugs!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:

You said you can try and swim/bike in a month or so; are you allowed to swim now? When I had a metatarsal sfx, I swam but only pushed off from the wall with the non-injured foot.

Not yet. I'll be in the pool as soon as they tell me I can. But they know I'm an athlete, so they've been very clear on what, "rest" and "non-weight bearing," actually mean. :-/

At least I'm strengthening my left leg...?
Last edited by: katcycles: Jan 7, 15 19:59
Quote Reply