Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Halloween Edition
Quote | Reply
Happy Halloween! Are you in costume today? (Or have kids in costume?)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Halloween Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm dressed as the animated version of Cindy Lou Who. :-)

Quote:
Goals for this week:
stay out of own way! use coping skills! (journaling is really helping right now) did an ok job with this, not perfect
day off from running done!
swim 12600 yds nope but swam 6x
bike 4x, with bike miles > run miles rode 5x, bike miles not greater than run miles but more miles than last week
get about four million job applications in :P yup, one more to submit today

M: 6.2 mi run + 2900 yd swim
T: 9 mi run + 1300 yd swim + 6 mi bike
W: 9.3 mi run + 1800 yd swim + 8 mi bike
T: 5 mi run + 2900 yd swim
F: 10.6 mi run + 800 yd swim
S: 12 mi bike
S: 12 mi bike + 7.5 mi run + 800 yd swim

totals 10,500 yd swim + 38 mi bike + 47.6 mi run

This week:
submit one more job application, write at least 30 min on dissertation today and 1 hr Tues-Fri.
bike 3x
swim 5x
day off from running
I fly to Tucson for a conference on Friday!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not dressed up (or dressing up), but my son is Captain America and the baby has Halloween PJs.

I got new running shoes in the mail today, so there will be treadmill time in my future. At home all day + Halloween candy = trouble

I've been playing soccer and riding the trainer. I need to add in some strength work and get my eating under control. :(

tigerchik - I have a friend in academia and I'm jealous of the traveling she gets to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, now we need to see your costume! The extent of my dressing up is here: http://littlecondo.tumblr.com/...my-halloween-efforts

I am the "bah humbug" equivalent when it comes to Halloween. I didn't grow up with it so I just find it really odd and I don't really like dressing up in costumes anyway. Normally I would be on the fire department patrol that we do on Halloween (encouraging safe road crossing and trying to deter mischief makers) but it's always a later night than I want (and I tend to eat more candy than I hand out) so skipping it this year.

Last week's goal was 4 rides/5.5 hours - I did 3 rides for 3.5 hours and was glad for the rest. I was good about doing my physio exercises and for the most part was pain free. This week - 6 rides/7 hours including an FTP test. Back to the physio on Friday so hoping I get the clearance to try running (again).

Any of the ladies have any good upper body strength routines that they currently use or have used in the past? I've signed up to do an extrication course and those tools are heavy enough that I want to be more prepared for handling them.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Halloween Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Any of the ladies have any good upper body strength routines that they currently use or have used in the past? I've signed up to do an extrication course and those tools are heavy enough that I want to be more prepared for handling them.

I can't comment on developing strength, but make sure not to neglect your rotator cuff. Search USMS (US masters swimming) for good stuff for that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No costumes for me today, it was a teacher work day in the school district where I work, so as a sub, that means a day off for me.
Spent the weekend racing. Sprint triathlon on Saturday (finished 3rd AG, my first ever podium
I'm the one with the pink compression sleeves) and 5K on Sunday (dressed mismatched socks, crazy bright colors- bright salmon shirt & bright green running hat).
Now my triathlon season is officially over, time to concentrate on running for a bit, hoping to improve for the Rebel Challenge (part of the Star Wars half-marathon) in January.
This weeks goals-
Swim x2
Ride x2 (local 50K bike tour on Sunday)
Run x2

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boo! My kid is 20 so we are past the trick or treat days. But we had a couple of kids come by the house. That was fun. And my black scardy-cat is safely hiding somewhere in the house.

I've been swamped. I did Playa del Rey a week ago (3rd place AG and PR) and then did a 100k Gran Fando yesterday (5th Female). Both went pretty well, but the Gran Fando was a bit miserable with the headwinds, wind gusts, and rain, not to mention that the longest ride I've done in the last couple years had been 45 miles (the 100k ended up being 64.33 per race director). Fortunately, the guy running the sports recovery tent is a client and he hooked me up. I had fun on the 100k tucked into the lead pack for the first 20 miles after which I was dropped because of a mechanical. Got picked up by another pack for about 10 miles and then hung with smaller packs off and on as I was able to hang with them. Then, in the last 10 miles had 2 dropped chains (curse words) and started cramping (yes, I am an electrolyte idiot) so I had to stop to pull out of the cramp. Those problems and my prior mechanical cost me at least 10 minutes. But I kind of needed the breaks, so.... there it is. But drafting off of big guys is sure handy!

Time for me to switch to ping pong or something to give myself the mental break before I pick it back up for base training. We don't have winter where I live so year-round training is not a problem. So, this week my goal is to do something OTHER than swim-bike-run, break a sweat at least a couple of times, and wash my bike after that muddy 100k. I might go bowling. Hard to say.

In other news, lined up most of my 2017 season with the exception of replacing Wildflower. I need an OLY race after April 15th (I'm a CPA) but before June 15th (so I can properly prep for other races).

tigerchik wrote:
submit one more job application
What are you applicationing for? Sorry if I missed in a previous post....

SDCali wrote:
Spent the weekend racing. Sprint triathlon on Saturday (finished 3rd AG, my first ever podium)
Hot damn! Congratulations! That's awesome!!

Rock on, Ladies!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to the womens who raced this weekend!

This week's goals:
run x 4: win
swim x 1: win
core/strength x 2: win
mobility/stretch x 2: win

Wasn't really in costume yesterday - our accounting office doesn't exactly get in the spirit, but I did Halloween my own way within the lines of professionalism.

I did, however, spend 6 hours running in costume on Saturday.

I still can't believe the makeup - which I did on a total whim on Saturday morning - actually stayed put through the whole thing. We had a sudden warm day to boot, so I was sweating like crazy. Went out too hard and burned some matches in the first couple of laps (it's a 2.5km loop of mostly trail with one good-sized hill in the middle)

Trail conditions were the best I recall in 7 years of doing this event, which makes it sting a little that my lack of restraint off the start plus a lack of sleep & proper taper (I ran 58km the week before the event) probably cost me my best chance at making 50k in the 6 hours. At 49.25km it was still a 2.65km (more than 1 full lap) PR for me, and 50k was my stretch goal, but still...a bit miffed at myself.

Edited to add: I did get 3rd woman overall (out of 6), so that was pretty sweet, too.

Left ankle has been unhappy since; I don't think it liked being pounded on for 6 hours, despite not actually wrenching it for once. It's been improving, though, so I'm hopeful that I'll still be able to actually get a short run or two in this week. Not going to push things, though, as I have another 6-hour that (I found out on Saturday) includes 2 climbs of a small ski hill per loop. Thinking the trekking poles are coming along for that one.

This week's goals:
walk x 3
swim x 2
bike x 1
run x 1

I won't run until the ankle is totally pain-free while walking (I'm about 80% there right now - it's even getting better as the day goes on), so in the meantime I'll just swim and hike and maybe go for a spin on my bike on the weekend. I have to concern myself with long-term health since I have 8-hour (on an indoor track) and 3-hour (trail) races I'm committed to in January.

Last edited by: mistressk: Nov 1, 16 9:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job SD, and you too Mistress K. Holy cow, some good work by all the ladies here! :-)

Last week's plans:
- Skate 2x - DONE
- Level II referee clinic all weekend (boo) - DONE and quite interesting actually - even if Sat was 8hrs of video analysis...
- Run 2x (track; aerobic) - FAIL - got the track run in but the ref skool started early enough that I didn't get in that second run.
- Ride once (due to weekend being shot). - WINNER WINNER I got in 3 rides including one home from ref skool (~75k in the only decent weather we've had all Oct - it rained 27 of 31 days here in Oct and it's pretty depressing to be honest - but Sunday was glorious!).
- Make Burrito costume for K. DONE :-)

This week's plans:
- Run 2x (track, ez aerobic)
- Ride 2x
- Skate 4x including a meet on Sunday
- Core/drills/weights 1x

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Halloween Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
submit one more job application
What are you applicationing for? Sorry if I missed in a previous post....

jobs in university math departments and education departments. I'm finishing a PhD.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Belated Halloween, Happy November, and congratulations to all racers!

My ocean swim group had a few athletes in costume pre-workout:
(Will this photo actually post? We'll see)

Quote:
This week is pretty normal: 3 strength sessions, 3 swims, a run or 2, hopefully some yoga, and 2 bike rides including a 200K randonneuring ride -- it'll be my first ride like this and it sounds like it'll be a lot of fun and I have literally all day to get up and over the 8K feet of climbing.

I had a good week -- did everything I planned including 2 runs and a yoga class. One of my bike rides ended up being a surprise threshold test on the trainer (woof!) and the other was the 200K randonneuring event. The ride ended up being almost 9,000 feet of climbing -- I had two flat tires, it poured rain, was freezing on the slick descents, and I had a total blast! I also felt surprisingly good on Monday and didn't have to go as an invalid for Halloween :D

The week's totals should be daily p/rehab, 3 strength sessions, 3 swims, 2 or 3 runs, 1 or 2 yoga sessions, and 2 bikes. I have a threshold run test (20 minutes) which is a good sign that things are getting back on track with my running (woo!) but I don't expect the results to be pretty. Start where you are, do what you can, blah blah blah...
I'm also planning to do my first race simulation since getting hurt (swim/bike/run on Saturday), I'll take that all pretty easy and just try to get back into the swing of things -- hoping to race in December [fingers crossed]

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Halloween Edition [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the podium!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade, for upper body strength I do a mix of bodyweight and kettlebells -- pull-ups, KB floor presses, KB snatches, KB push-ups, plank presses, 3-Point KB rows, farmer carries and waiter's walks (the carries are great for core too). When available, I do rows and face pulls on a TRX.

Right now, I'm doing the following 3X per week:
Pull-ups 3X5 (with 10 second hold in between each pull-up on the last set).
KB floor presses 3X12 at 12KG
Plank presses,
3-Point KB rows 3X12
Farmer Carries OR Waiter's Walks for 100M

TRX rows and face pulls are more muscular endurance when I do them I do 3X25-30.

Hope that helps!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Halloween Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is helpful thanks! I remember the hell that is plank presses from circuits we did when I used to row :-) walks/carries will be new for me and I'm already doing some form or another of the other movements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with it, Scheherazade. Plank Presses are wicked but effective -- when those get too easy, add in a few Dands (AKA "Hindu Pushups") to put the fun in functional strength.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Erg.
So I'm not running right now because my left hamstring had I guess, a recurrence of the tendinitis. Last time I ran (except for in CX) was Oct. 21. This makes me sad. It seemed like the recurrence happened almost exactly one year after the original.
In better news, I ended up taking the top spot at a very small cx race. The two gals who have been solidly beating me all year didn't show up to race. Yay me.
So that was fun. BUT, the most important part was that I rode over a small log. I have never been able to ride over anything like that before. I felt more proud about that than any other part of the race.

Monday am I went and got my left hamstring dry needled.

I have felt more inspired to get back in the pool and swim hard. Monday evening I finally felt like I was swimming decently again (haven't felt good since last spring).
I attempted to run last night, stopped, walked back and rode the trainer and did a strength training session.

SO this week - bike, strength train, PT exercises, stretching, try to get back to running.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Halloween Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the CX win and riding over the log. That sounds crazy/cool! I hope the dry needling gets your hamstring to come around.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Halloween Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have another question - I was looking at the KB floor press and the descriptions are split as to whether the pushing shoulder should come off the ground or not. What variation do you do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade, I'm working on stability as much as strength so I don't (or try not to) push my shoulder off the ground -- I think about "packing and stacking" if that makes any sense.

Quote Reply