Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? February 25 Edition
Quote | Reply
Tell us about it!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? February 25 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a good week! I was at a conference from Wed-Sun (including flying) and it was great! I SWAM IN A LCM POOL FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!! (The conference sessions were good too ;-) a bit tired from the travel, but had no food issues for the week.

M - 9.3 mi run + 5000 yd swim
T - 8 mi run + 2500 yd swim
W - 8 mi run + 2600 yd swim
T - 8000 m swim
F - 6.5 mi run + 30 min swim on tethers
S - 6.5 mi run + 9 mi bike + 30 min swim on tethers
S - 40 mi bike

totals: 22,800 yd swim, 49 mi bike, 38.3 mi run

My goal had been to swim MTW (done), cycling 'whatever I get in' and no food issues. Check, check, check.
Goals this week: get caught up on work. Keep runs short. Continue to do well with eating.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good week, was able to get some mid-week workouts in. I'm starting to get used to working again. Friday eve worked a swim meet, then raced Sat, and was suppose to work swim meet again on Sunday, but when I got there, no one was in the pool (pump malfunctioned) and there was a lot of wind (spent most time trying to hold down the "fort" literally trying to keep our admin tent from blowing away, so the meet was cancelled (coaches vote was unanimous).
First triathlon of the year is in the books. Nice local reverse triathlon: run and bike on a runway and swim in a long course pool. Got my fastest time at this race, it was my 4th time doing this race. Officially changed age groups this year, but this race used actual age rather than USAT age, so I was still in old age group as my b-day was the day after the race.
This week- start getting in some more & longer runs. Local tri shop is doing a trainer workout on Wednesday, so that will take care of my midweek bike session. So focusing on the run and bike this week, swims will take care of themselves.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:
- run x 6: WIN but mileage fail
- bike x 2: WIN with 3
- swim x 4: FAIL. needed sleep more than a swim on tuesday night.
- core/strength x 3: WIN

Last week ended up being a bit of a recovery week after back to back 3-day weekends of hard training. Saturday I nailed a long run though, and even got to ride to the market! Finished off with a 2hr brick (1h20m bike + 40min run) late last night that went pretty well. Tired today, but just need sleep.

This week's goals:
- run x 6 over 50km total
- bike x 3
- swim x 4
- core/strength x 4

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Nice! LCM pools are my favorite, but I think SCY pools can get more variety in the workout.

Last week was fine, and I started PT on Friday.
My insurance is a bummer, because I have a 60 day period to go to PT, and since I'm only in town one weekday a week, that means I'll have about 8 visits.
Ugh.
If I lived in town still, I could go more than once a week.

They think it's tendinitis. I did some "oh so fun" exercises, got a massage, an ice massage, ultrasound, and a steroid patch... not in that order, but the patch was last. I asked about laser, and it's an option for a fee, not sure how much - and at a different location.

Oh boy!
I also got told I could run as far as it didn't hurt. So that was good news. Here come some absurdly short runs! (like 1-2 mi, likely after I get off the bike).
So last week was run 2x
bike 4x
strength 1x
swim 1x - I had a good swim and was happy with the speed of a particular set of 50s. :)

I am also a bit down in weight, a good thing. I have been doing a very very slow weight loss (1lb/wk), because it's not something I've ever tried in association wtih the sport before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monday - lazy holiday
Tuesday - 30 min strength workout
Wednesday - 1 hour spin+10 min run
Thrs/Fri - off
Saturday - first swim of the year, 1/4 mi in 25 min and it felt easy (yay, since that's the distance of my first sprint tri)
Sunday - 5k race - new PR! Shaved almost a minute off my time. There was a DUMB hill at the 2mi turnaround point. Also first run with no music (learning to get my head in tri mode)

Work stress was insane - 10+ hour days a lot, so it was super-hard to be motivated after work and I missed Friday spin for being stuck in meetings.

This week's goals:
3x spin, 2x run, 1x swim, 1x strength, and two days of skiing (yay for Tahoe trip!).
I put 3 weeks' worth of dinners on the calendar, so I'll be cooking more and hopefully eating better (I eat out way too much as is).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been MIA from this thread for a couple of weeks due to a stressful and busy time at work followed by 10 days of the flu of death. I made a recovery last week and was able to get the following workouts done:

1 swim (shortened due to my inability to get out of bed)
2 rides (all power targets met)
4 strength (including my OT)
2 runs (one shortened due to a computer issue at work and the Mt Cheaha 50K*)

* The week I got my cast off for the wrist break this summer, a friend convinced me that a good target winter ultra would be the Mt Cheaha 50K in Delta, AL so I signed up, booked a flight and rental car. I knew it was a point to point 50K to the highest point in AL but I should have done a bit more course research before committing to this one. Heck, I should have done a bit more research before showing up in AL on Friday. The course was a beast. It has over 7000 feet of elevation gain and some of the nastiest, rocky terrain I have ever seen. There is little to know flat. You are either climbing or descending. And the rocks, oh the rocks. From baby heads to boulders the course was covered in them. Mile 29 to 30 includes a section that is 0.8 miles in length with an elevation gain of close to 1400 feet. It is pretty much a 1:1 slope and was so rocky the only way to find a trail was to follow the blue blazes pained on the trees and rocks. It was insane. I still can't believe I finished. I think it was the hardest things I have ever done. Even more so than completing my first 100.

Now that Cheaha is over my focus switched from ultrarunning to triathlon and cycling will pick up. This week's goals are to recover and try to complete:
2 swims
2 rides
4 runs
2-3 strength (including PT).

Hope everyone is having a good week.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? February 25 Edition [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have always wanted to do a reverse tri. Congrats on the best time at that race!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well now that you've swum in a long course pool, you just need to make a trip down to southern california, since you're not too far away now. Most of our "winter" races are reversed. There's Carson Triathlon in November, Tinsel Triathlon in December, Race on the Base in February, & Pasadena Triathlon in March just to name a few. The swims are always really short though: Tinsel & Pasadena are 150m & Race on the Base is 200m. The only drawback is variable weather. The first time I did the Race on the Base it started raining as soon as the gun went off and rained for most of the time I was out on course, only to stop when I got in the pool, and start up again shortly after i finished.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's theme: Get your own sandwich
I have five days FULL of work meetings with no lunch breaks, so all running will be am or after work; plus likely in the Okanagan for the weekend, so only 1 long run on the weekend.
M: 1hr bike -> DONE. legs were toast
T: 19k (am) + 5-11k (pm) -> DONE (26k)
W: off -> YAY DONE :-)
R: 12k (am) + 1hr bike -> 8k (am ) only - small "d" done (34k)
F: 1hr bike -> FAIL
St/Sn: 1 long run of 40k. -> FAIL, ended up being only a 12k hilly trail run with the dog. Alas, these things happen, it was more important to spend time with family.
Total: 45k for the week. I knew I was essentially going to be alternating big & small weeks, but it was hard to let this weekend "go". Once I did, I was glad I had. Also, the back to back full day meetings sucked the life out of me. However, I am loving my double run to & from work days now. Nice to get ~20 or more k's in so early in the week.

I am now 2.8 weeks until the Chuckanut 50k. I am traveling the week before the race - but the bonus of that trip is I get to hang with Coach F somewhere nice and warm (I hope!) for 2-4 days the week before the race. Hopefully the work part of the trip will go well.

This week's theme: Shosholoza. (It's an old Zulu mining song, and its title means, roughly, "Keep going. Move faster on those mountains" and it is sung at the start of every Comrades race, see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoiduCpUxMM)
M: 6k EZ with strides (DONE); 30min Core/Stretch/Plyo (6)
T: 19k (am) + 11k (pm) (30/36)
W: 6k-8k aerobic (pm); 30min Core/Stretch/Plyo (8/42)
R: 19k (am); 1hr ride (19/61)
F: OFF (maybe a swim!)
St: 40k (40/101)
Sn: 20k (20/121)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? February 25 Edition [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the finish!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? February 25 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't figure out what your #s after the parentheses mean!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
run distance/weekly run distance - cumulative. Keeps the math straight in my head ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That race looks hard and awesome, congrats and major props for finishing!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job on the run! Your fb pics looked beautiful, but yeah, lots of rocks!

Last week was a giant pile of bleurgh for me. Hubby is battling a kidney stone and so I spent most of my time checking up on him, running to the store for gatorade, and then lemons, and then meds, and any random internet remedies we could find, rubbing his back, etc. So I only got two bikes and one run in, and that's about it. :(

This week! Will unfortunately probably be rough too, I have to travel for two days of trainings. But I will try really hard to get in:

3 bikes
4 runs

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome weeks everyone! You are all so inspiring.

My goals from last week.
Swim 3-4 times - WIN - got in 3.
Bike 3 times easy - LOSE - decided not to bike at all. With marathon coming up, and bike fit issues giving me all sorts of new problems, I decided it wasn't worth it.
Run 5 times - WIN - ran 6 times.
core 3 times WIN - 3 times.

Goals for this week
Run 3-4 very easy runs, w/ marathon on sunday
Swim 3-4 times
Core 3-4 times.

Have a great week and happy training everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week wasn't exactly super productive in any realm of my life. I got some quality swims in around being sick, so I'll take it. I'm battling some serious funk/existential crisis with a side of depression, so I'm working on that & how it's seeping into most other activities as well. Between the time of year, time of month & time of pay cycle....I'm a mess & my eating habits show it. So....I'm working on ROUTINE & just putting my head down & slogging through, doing what I can do & letting the rest go (because it's not important).

LAST WEEK:
M - Run Drills (FAIL, Sick)
T - Swim, 8mi Run (FAIL, Sick)
W - Swim (4200 SCY), Swim (FAIL - I did NOTHIN' & am OK with it.)
Th - Core/Sw (Session was Cancelled - FAIL), 45min Tempo Run (FAIL)
F - Swim (4200 SCY done!)
Sa - Long run (Tough 3.5mi hike in the muddy muck...was super fun, the dogs got SO nasty & had a blast!)
Su - Swim (4500 LCM)

This week has started off with some flogging in the pool, so that always helps a bit. I'm struggling to get through the rest of today with my eyes open & am really going to try to get to the gym this evening - if for no other reason than a sense of accomplishment. We'll see if I get six miles done. I've got legitimate worries starting to creep in about marathon training & how quickly time is slipping away. I don't have any plans on setting a PR but not DYING during the thing would be exceptional. I have until the end of April. Meh...it'll be fine. USMS Nationals is 2wks after that & obviously that's where my head is. Another meet coming up in a couple weeks so that should provide some entertainment & hopefully some confidence. The pool will take care of itself....it's MAKING myself get on the bike & on my own feet that are the needed objectives. Probably looking at 15k for the week in the pool. HOPING for nearly 20 on foot.

Going to visit friends for the weekend, my old training partners. Should provide a nice, positive boost.

THIS WEEK:
M- Swim (done - 4500 SCY)
T- AM Swim (done - 3850 SCY), PM Run (6mi - TBD)
W- AM Swim, PM Swim
TH- AM Strength & Power Swim, PM Run (6mi)
F- AM Swim
SA- AM Swim
SU- AM Run, Possible PM Swim

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey TC,

I don't know all of the details of what happened yesterday but I just wanted to give you a public shout-out. You are awesome! I have no idea what the back story is on that, and I don't need to know, but I do want to tell you that I think you are a very, very good egg who has her shit together. Hugs to you, girl.

--LTT

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? February 25 Edition [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
Hey TC,

I don't know all of the details of what happened yesterday but I just wanted to give you a public shout-out. You are awesome! I have no idea what the back story is on that, and I don't need to know, but I do want to tell you that I think you are a very, very good egg who has her shit together. Hugs to you, girl.

--LTT

I totally agree!! This forum would not be the same without you. You're amazing and my swimming idol. Keep up all your good / hard work.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? February 25 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took most of a day off of the chaos that is ST & apparently missed something. Is Ali ok?

I'm not saying explicitly that I would have MAJOR issues with anyone who caused TC problems or pain, I'm just saying that I would hope it gets REALLY uncomfortable for them. She's a bright light, a positive force & a good example for many to follow. She's open about her life & not afraid to face issues head on.

Anyone that has an issue with her or anything she has an opinion on can feel more than free to take it up with me or any number of Womens that feel much the same. in fact, I would recommend it. And let's let that be shouted from the rooftops.

Now I'm in full-on Mother Bear mode....

AW
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? February 25 Edition [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There several cruel posts on all 3 forums that mentioned several women on ST. They were all deleted and the author was banned.

Let's leave it at that. The details of what was said is irrelevant.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey TC,

--LTT

I don't know what happened either, but thank you (LTT, nad, and AWARE) for the kind words :-)

Last edited by: tigerchik: Feb 27, 13 9:54
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? February 25 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
There several cruel posts on all 3 forums that mentioned several women on ST. They were all deleted and the author was banned.

Let's leave it at that. The details of what was said is irrelevant.

I didn't see any of what was said, and I agree with you that it doesn't matter. I do like to give someone public support when they go through something like that as I think it lets the person know, "Hey, girl, I've got your back, and I care about you." And I think (hope) it sends the message to others to not do that. A little sistahood.

I have, ahem, not always walked the right side of that line, and I'm sorry about that. But I give womens lots of chances before they're on my bad side, and I try, try, to always give the benefit of the doubt :)

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peace, TC. Don't you give that any of your energy.

Hey TC, funny story:

After reading about "should I or should I not flip turn" in the main forum I decided to dedicate my swim to doing flip turns yesterday, and guess what? Low-and-behold that's a fast way to drop 8 seconds off your hundred! Who woulda thunk it;) I am such a dork. But I have a new 5x/week swim plan and I just broke and bought some finis swimp3 to bribe myself. I have a goal for the end of the season to be able to swim a (brace yourself) 1:15/100. I'm at 1:24. I'll keep you posted.

In other training news, I had my stair race and it went really well. I had never done one of those before and it SUCKED! I mean SUCKED. My throat is still bugging me, and I'm pretty sure I'd do a marathon instead of that thing, given a choice, but it was a cool experience. Mine was only 40 floors; i can't even imagine the big ones--Sears Tower is 103, ugh! Have any of you ever done one?

Anyway, it was a good kick in the butt, and it has me pumped about the upcoming season. Time to get serious;)

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! Flip turns are excellent. Getting faster on turns will take even more seconds off your 100s. That and the volume should get you to 1:15 without much trouble.

Quote Reply

Prev Next