Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Feb. 18 Edition
Quote | Reply
Tell us about it!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 18 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a much better week last week. I actually went to bed last night not anxious about having a bunch of work to do (though I do have a bunch of work to do, but the anxiety wasn't there). I didn't realize I'd been so constantly anxious.
Eating went pretty well. I almost spiraled into bingeing on Sat. night but I stopped myself. To be honest, I underate some of the week - something stressful happened last Monday morning that triggered undereating. I'm trying to get back to normal as I was pretty hypoglycemic this morning and swam slowly because of it. I've been working around the feelings regarding that particular incident and am recovering from it.

Workouts
M - 6.8 mi run + 2200 yd swim
T - 13.1 mi run + 1 mi walk
W - 8 mi run + 4100 yd swim
T - 5.6 mi run + 3000 yd swim
F - 8 mi run + 6600 yd swim
S - 8 mi run + swim meet (intramural meet... 50 free 33.06, 50 breast 42.81, 400 free 4:53. Won the distance race :-) 1800 yds total
S - 2h30 bike

totals: 17,700 yd swim; 35 mi bike (yes, I am a slow cyclist) , 49.5 mi run, and one day off from running ;-)

I got hit by a car riding yesterday - the driver claims not to have seen me; I probably should not have been trying to make it through a yellow light. I am fine, my bike is fine, the only thing that hurts is my tush. I landed sort of on my sacrum. It was quite sore yesterday but better today. I figured I would wake up and it would feel worse, so it feeling better was a pleasant surprise.

I am headed to Denver for a conference on Wed. Goal is to swim MTW (today's done) while I am on campus here, and I'm bringing tethers in case I can't get to the U. Denver pool. The hotel has a treadmill, so I'm good there, and cycling will be its usual whatever-I-get-in.
Other goal is to do ok with food this week.

Oh, the other goal last week was to be up at 5, get to the gym at 6, and be in my office by 9. I managed that every day except Fri, which is ok because I was in at 8 on Thurs.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was horribly sick all last week.

Anyway, went to the doctor on Friday about my leg and I now have a referral for PT. Dr thinks it's soft tissue injury, which I was back to thinking that is what is going on.
So I have a PT appointment this Friday.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 18 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck with the appt. I've had good luck with laser treatment for soft tissue if that's an option for you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laser therapy - I've not heard of that. I've heard of ultrasound...
Which I think I could do but I would have to pay out of pocket for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC - Yikes. That's scary. I'm glad your ok. Take care.
Determination- I hope you feel better. and good luck w/ your leg.

I had a better week last week.
Goals
Swim 2-3 times - WIN, but only twice.
Bike - goal 3 times WIN
Run - 5-6 times. WIN ran 6 times and got an 18 miler in on Saturday without quad pain the next day - Very excited about that
Core -3 times - lose not even once.

Goals for coming week
Two weeks from marathon - so starting taper
Swim 3-4 times (got one in today)
Bike 3 times easy
Run 5 times - easy
core 3 times

Happy training everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 18 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The laser was new to me too but it seemed to help way more than ultrasound.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 18 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, nice week nad!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ouch! glad it was minor:

determination: stop being sick :-(

nad: you're going to have a great race, keep it up! glad the quad's not bugging you.

Last week's theme: double-down
Tues: 6k (am) + 6k (lunch) -> DONE
Wed: blood testing (am) + blood testing (lunch) -> DONE and sucked balls, blood tests leave me drained (pun intended) for the rest of the day...
Thurs: 16k (am) + 11k (pm) -> small "d" done did 8k then 11k, so 19k not 26k. My valentine picked my up from work with a huge bouquet of flowers so my 3rd run that day got killed ;-)
Fri: optional 6k (lunch) -> Rode 1hr instead
Sat: 35K -> Did 20k on Sat + 32K on Sun. the 20k was veryhilly trail running and I certainly will reverse the order next time (longer first) as I was pretty cooked by the end of the Sunday 32k.
Sun: 25K -> as above

Aiming for a total of ~90k. -> Managed 82k. That's OK.

This week's theme: Get your own sandwich
I have five days FULL of work meetings with no lunch breaks, so all running will be am or after work; plus likely in the Okanagan for the weekend, so only 1 long run on the weekend.
M: 1hr bike
T: 19k (am) + 5-11k (pm)
W: off
R: 12k (am) + 1hr bike
F: 1hr bike
St/Sn: 1 long run of 40k.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome work everyone!!!

I've been struggling to get workouts in. It's the end of our winter term (I teach chemistry at private school) and kids realize their grades are not where they want them to be so lots of meetings to give extra help. I guess I am lucky that I got at least 30min in almost every day. You could call last week winter maintenance mode.

Last week:
5-6 runs MISS. Only 4 runs
3-4swims. MISS. Only 2 swims
1-2 bike. MISS. No bike :-(

This week - hoping to get back into the swing of things as I have agreed to take a whole posse of high school students to their first tri on April 28. I need to get my fat ass moving bc I want to podium in my AG!

This weeks goals:
Mon - EZ run 30min - done but really dragging
Tues - am swim w/speed work pm trainer w/tempo work
Wednes - 45min endurance run w/hill sprints
Thurs - 30min EZ run
Fri - am swim w/PM 45 minrun or trainer
Sat - swim CSS sets
Sun - long run

One issue I've been struggling with is exhaustion but I am far from overtrained. I have discussed this with my doc twice during the last 8 months and am ready to go see another doc. My energy levels just suck right now. All I want to do is nap. I have no idea what is going on. Hope to get some recs from colleagues for a new doc bc this one doesn't get it.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 18 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kudos for getting some of the HSers into tri!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 18 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have they done lab work? If not, check blood sugar, thyroid and complete blood count for anemia.
Also, could be allergies, do you have any year round allergies there that could just drag you down.
Stress is also sometimes to blame for chronic fatigue.

I agree w/ finding a new doctor. You need to find someone who will listen to you and help you work this out.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 18 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh, I -HATE- when they do that with meetings! I finally told my coworkers that I will attend all their meetings, but they have to understand I will eat during them.

M - 1 hr spin class, 10 min run
R - 30 min bike, 30 min run (brick)
F - 1 hr spin class
Sa - 16 mi bike ride (the loop that will be part of my first triathlon!) I had a few issues with my bike, asit's a hand-me-down and a bit small for me. I got frustrated with the bass-ackward gear shifting and hadn't eaten enough prior *grumblegrumblegrumble* but we did it. TBH, it was easier than I expected, though there is one mean hill I had to push the bike up, which resulted in my calf cramping to the point that I had to sit down. 1.5 hours total, and I did feel like I could run a 5k after.
Su - Survived 3 hrs of shopping with my mother (-10k calories from twitching and forcing a smile)

I am feeling good as I increase the consistency of my workouts, but I definitely need to start working on the swim.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:
- run x 6: WIN
- bike x 3: WIN +1
- swim x 4: WIN
- core/strength x 4: WIN

a change in scheduling led to some seriously dead legs last week, but it all got done. this week will have to start a bit easier after an amazing, ridiculous day of xc skiing and snowshoeing with my sweetheart for family day (followed by a run) - i'm moving a little slowly today.

this week's goals:
- run x 6
- bike x 2
- swim x 4
- core/strength x 3

hope your tush heals fast tigerchik! inattentive drivers suck.

cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Feb 19, 13 10:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YIKES! Damn driver - hope the karma comes around. I'm glad you feel okay - that would scare my pants off! Good luck in the conference, and take care of yourself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be tons of fun. We have a dozen or so interested. Mostly XC runners or swimmers with little to no cycling experience - that is where I come in ;-). Now if these kids could teach me how to swim and run . . .

Seriously though, I have more bikes than I can ride at one time so . . . And am scrounging other bikes from friends. These kids all have aerobic engines and the drive, they just need the opportunity so we'll make it happen!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 18 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for suggestions. They did do lab work last sept but everything was in "normal" range but I need to further investigate what normal is. What is normal for your average sedentary 50yr old may not work for me.

I had not thought of the allergy issue. I may start back on antihistamines and see if that helps.

Did not get my planned workouts today in bc I am dragging so badly. Am trying not to beat myself up about it. Tomorrow is another day.

You ladies are all awesome and very inspiring!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Originally I was planning on easing into training this year, just doing a few Xterras. Then I found out last week that I got into Leadville 100mtb, which I was definitely not planning on. Hubby wanted to enter so I said I'd throw my name in the hat too, just cuz, but I was not expecting to actually get in. Of course he did not get in. So, after the initial freak-out, I am excited, and ready to get serious about this year's training. Lots and lots of biking is on the radar for me!

Goals this week:
Bike: 4x
Run: 3x
Swim: meh, I wait til later in the year for that. :)

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Last edited by: FeltLikeTriing: Feb 19, 13 19:54
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 18 Edition [FeltLikeTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Of course he did not get in.

Ouch. Hope he's happy for you and not too upset...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, he's fine. He's all geeking out right now, sending me blog after blog of race reports, maps of the route, figuring out other stuff to do and mountains to climb while we're out there. Plus, since we have to go out there for me now, that gives him the chance to volunteer and hopefully have a better shot at next year.

He'll probably do most of the training with me this year anyway. :)

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 18 Edition [FeltLikeTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fantastic! Good on ya! I just got into the local 50k (Chuckanut 50k) next month so I can relate to being super stoked!!!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty darn excited about Chuckanut for you. It is a great race, as we've already talked about.

Still a rough time for me but getting better. Missing some runs because I've been dealing with depression. I've started Vitamin D, 5000/day, in the hopes that will help. I just can't seem to do ANYTHING and am spending way too much time on the couch. The 5 days off from a cold started it.

I did my first double run in a couple years on Friday. It went surprisingly well. 30 minutes easy in the morning and an hour of hills after work. The hill workout was killer. I live on a 12.5% grade hill that is about a quarter mile long so I can do up to a minute long interval. I did 12 x 40 seconds in sets of 3 with the first interval easy, second medium and the third HARD. By that last set of 3 I was really feeling it. Went to a friend's house to watch Frankenweeine afterwards and almost didn't make it all the way through without falling asleep.

Long run on Sunday that wasn't great. Forgot my magic anti-chafe lube (Sport Shield) so the post-run shower was brutal. Fire crotch.

Mileage = 28

I have another double run day tomorrow which will be a challenge since I have a 9 am meeting that I can't be late for. I am used to sleeping later than most of you chicas so getting up earlier throws me off. I want to be up for 30 minutes before heading out the door so that means an hour earlier wake-up time. My sleep clock is used to staying up to 11:00 and has a hard time falling asleep at 10:00. We'll see how it goes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah congrats! Know you wanted to get into that race. Now the "just in case" training will pay off!!

TC - hope the ego & the tush are better quickly & the conference goes well.

My week has been a blur. Last week was pretty successful, for the most part. Though I was teaching swim lessons for the first time in a couple months & managed to pick up a cold from one of the little boogers. That made the end of the meet on Sunday & the first half of this week interesting. But I got back in the water this morning & hopefully it'll straighten out from there....
Last Week:
M - Swim (4150SCY)
T - Swim (4700 SCY)
W - Swim (3400 SCY)
Th - 7mi run (FAIL, was beat from all the teaching...rested)
F - Swim (very short, shakeout) (FAIL....still beat. rested)
Sa - 1650 (20:50, national qual), 100IM (1:14, good swim), 200FR (2:16, national qual)
Su - 500FR (5:50, NQ), 100FR (1:03, nq), 200IM (2:40, THERE'S the sickness!)

This week:
M - Run Drills (FAIL, Sick)
T - Swim, 8mi Run (FAIL, Sick)
W - Swim (4200 SCY), Swim (may exchange for a run?)
Th - Core/Sw, 45min Tempo Run
F - Swim
Sa - Long run (will be a hike in all actuality)
Su - Swim

AW
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 18 Edition [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are great times! Good work :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Picked up K from daycare last night - she was carrying a red bucket aka the puke bucket :-( So will blow out the weekend taking care of the sick kidlet and trying to not get it myself. Bah! Going to be a barely 50k week at this rate!

:-( Maybe I'll ride the trainer while she sleeps.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply