Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? December 16 Edition
Quote | Reply
Tell us about it!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? December 16 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made XMAS cookies last night for my students. I am eating them for breakfast. ACK!!!!! Must stop now and hope my students devour every last one this morning ASAP. I can not leave XMAS cookies alone!!!

Hope everyone else is doing better with food.

Workouts went well during the week but weekend snow/ice storm put a damper in the weekend swimming and running. Will update later today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not bad.
Swam 2x, but got out early both times due to an inability to warm up. The air in the pool area has been quite cold lately and though the water is OK, I just can't seem to get warm. Even when on Wed. we did a 500 for time.
Ran enough, fell 2.75 miles short of my weekly mileage goal but I'm blaming the snow we received from Fri. night to Sat. night, and not much was cleared on Sunday. I tried to do my long run on Saturday but bailed because the footing was taxing my poor little ankles too badly. On Sunday, I bailed 2.75 miles short because my quads were really fatiguing, I haven't done a back to back somewhat long-ish runs since last summer. The footing was still bad in spots on Sunday.
Both runs reminded me of that scene in "Rocky IV" when he's running through the snow in Russia. LOL
No biking. I'm taking a couple weeks off of biking, to give myself a mental break and to give myself a little extra time to study for my practical exam on Jan. 4.

I did sign up for two races last week for 2014. A gravel road bike race in March, and next year's age group Oly nationals... it looks like our proposed biking trip for next summer likely won't happen...the trip folks raised prices by 20%+ and aren't budging on the price. We have a group of friends we'd be going with and they collectively made the call.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a fairly good week

Swim x 3
Bike x 4
Run x 5
Weights - only once - wanted at least twice.

Flu now in epidemic in Texas. This is the one that we saw a few years ago which targets younger people. We had two 30 yo in ICU, one which was repeatedly coding on Friday. So I got my flu vaccine on Friday. Arm sore, achy but gosh I hope I don't get the real flu. All you youngsters out there - if you haven't gotten you flu shot, go get it. It takes 2 weeks after getting to build up the immunity. Now is the time.

Same goals for next week
Swim x 3
Bike x 4
Run x 5
weights / core x 2

Happy training.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? December 16 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I flew home Wednesday. My mom had Christmas cookies all made, and she made more this weekend. I have been eating more cookies per day than I care to admit. You are not alone.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goal was to stockpile some yards M and T (done - even managed to swim early Wed. before my flight) and the rest of the week was "whatever." The main goal was not to have eating issues... not entirely successful there. I didn't have any huge binges, and I have sat through some urges, but I have been eating a lot of Christmas cookies. My goal for this week is to wait 20 minutes if I want a cookie or whatever - I'm not opposed to eating them, I just want to feel more in control about it.

Best part of the week was being home + visiting at my former university.
Worst part of the week was that I am having some SI joint issues that has kept me from running since Tuesday. I have a PT appt Wed.

M - 3 mi run + 6300 yd swim
T - 8 mi run + 1800 yd swim
W - 6 mi bike + 1800 yd swim
T - 4.8 mi walk
F - 75 min. stairmaster + 3900 yd swim
S - 6800 yd swim
S - 90 min. stairmaster

Totals: 20,600 yd swim, 6 mi bike, 11 mi run, 4 ish hours of "other"

Goals for this coming week: at least 20k swim (am off to a good start with 7k this morning), and whatever else my back is up for.

Last edited by: tigerchik: Dec 16, 13 7:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My running shoes are under the impression that I no longer love them... No runs this week. The freezing weather last week was quite off-putting (WTF with 39 degrees at lunchtime in San Jose, CA!!!!). That said, ~45 min of biking (15 min jaunts for errands) and 3 progressively longer swims (437, 631, and 782 yards). My pace is getting better each time, too, and somehow I ended an ugly old habit of crossing my feet when breathing. My one genuine attempt at a long outside ride (dressed and all!) was snipped in the bud by work.

Chlorine water is good for the diet, right? :D

Thanks again for all the great replies in my swim tips request thread!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? December 16 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
(437, 631, and 782 yards)

Those are interesting distances. Are you swimming OW? (If so, jealous!)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- Run x 5: FAIL. 4 only/
- Swim x 3: WIN
- Bike x 3: FAIL. 1 only
- Core/strength x 4: WIN
- Foam roll/rehab x 4: WIN

So husband had 2 teeth break on Thursday night, managed to survive Friday, but was in utter agony; can't eat, can't sleep. Took him to the emergency room on Saturday at 5:30am, then headed to the pool - they wrote him a 'script for pain meds & antibiotics and sent him on his way. Pick him up, go home, call a local dental clinic & get an appointment. By 3pm he's had oral sedation, the 2 broken teeth removed, and a bone graft. We go get his pain & antibiotic prescriptions filled, then I had to drop him at home by himself in order to make my tattoo appointment (which I did offer to cancel, but we would have lost my deposit & he wanted me to go). Manage to make it through the whiteout conditions, spend 3 hours having my whole chest inked, then finally got home around 10pm. Training yesterday was a walk and an hour of shovelling the driveway, which I would definitely not recommend after having tattoo work done on your sternum & shoulder.

After
This week's goals:
- Run x 2
- Bike x 3
- Core/strength x 4
- Rehab & foam roll x 4

Chest is sore and the blood hasn't faded completely yet, so I won't be doing anything more strenuous than a walk & some foam rolling or rehab exercises for a few days & will be out of the pool until probably at least Tuesday of next week. Really, really pleased with how the ink came out, though - that piece had been unfinished for over 10 years, and it feels great to have the design completed at last! Still have some brown shading & highlighting to do at a later date, but it's a far cry from the emptiness it had been.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I have eaten more XMAS cookies this morning than I will ever admit. But the students did a pretty good job demolishing most of the cookies.

Tonight, I am making my last batch of XMAS cookies - chocolate dipped hazelnut biscotti - those are to share with my colleagues tommorow morning and they are deadly delicious over morning coffee!

I am also making peppermint bark with my AP Chem students tommorow - we discuss heat transfer, melting point and crystallization (tempering chocolate) - and they actually learn something! That is also deadly delicious! And I have to sample each groups batch or they get offended if I only sample one - sigh!

I do like your idea of waiting 30min before eating XMAS cookies - by then I will have forgotten that I wanted one!

I just need to get through the next 24 hours!

Last weeks workouts:
4 run (snowed in for 2 days - wanted to do 5)
3 swims (one masters practice snowed out :-()
1 bike (trainer - grrr - want to ride outside - just grit teeth and do it!)
2 strength

This weeks workouts:
Signed up for first half iroman today - princeton 70.3 at the end of september - I AM CRAZY BUT I AM GONNA GO FOR IT!!!! Quite a workout typing the registration on my computer between snarfing down XMAS cookies.
stop eating so many XMAS cookies
stop baking so many XMAS cookies
5 runs
3 swims
2 bike - hopefully outside at end of week as temps should reach the 50s by end of week - WOHOO!!!
2 strength
Stretch more!!!

HAPPY TRAINING TO ALL!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? December 16 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THAT IS SO BEAUTIFUL!!!

But I am sorry for your honey - how did he take two teeth out?
I truly hope he feels better soon.

I had a friend hit the pavement during a ride and she broke her front teeth. We were pacelining - I was in front and did not see a stick in the shadows. I ran over it, kicked it up and it went into her front spokes. She faceplanted and broke her front teeth out and also cracked her 2 week old carbon frame. She was in so much pain. I am still apologizing and this happened over two years ago. She does still like to ride behind me though on group rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I'm so happy with the snake! Can't wait until it's healed a bit more so I can see how the shading softens up & the true colour in his eye.

No idea why two teeth decided to go at once - they just rotted on him, and it was literally just after we'd laid down in bed on Thursday night & turned the light off, all of a sudden he's in horrible pain. They're both bottom molars, right next to one another; his jaw swelled enormously, too. Thankfully a combination of ibuprofen & amoxicillin have him completely pain-free now, and the swelling is almost gone!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
No open water - just the 25 yard pool in my apartment complex. Kyle gave me a heap of quarters that I move between two bricks on the edge of the pool. My tri club is doing a weird sprint triathlon competition - all three sports on different days - so I had to do a 400 yd swim. That felt so wonderful that I asked Kyle for a few more quarters the next day and the next!

The pool doesn't have any lane lines, but I've been swimming at night, so I go from light to light across the center of the pool. Sometimes less straight than others, I guess. Those distances are from my GPS watch, not quarter counts.

The quarters just make each lap feel like an accomplishment. Our pool (thank you stupid law!) is also so shallow I couldn't do a flip turn if I even COULD do a flip turn.

I need to make some serious improvement before July, though, since I am doing the Vineman half.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not much training last week, just spin class on Wednesday & then did a 10K on Saturday (my first running race, done plenty of tris and swimming races), & breakfast ride on Sunday (easy ride with a stop for breakfast at the beach in the middle). After the breakfast ride, one of my teammates hosted a tamale party, so I headed over there and helped make some tamales (spreading the masa on the cornhusks).
This week- swim -1x, bike 2x (no spin class this week, due to team xmas party), run 2-3x.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm taking December as a rest month. That means randomly working out. I have a weekly strength training appointment with a personal trainer, otherwise I go by feel. Last week was 1 swim session, 1 walk on the treadmill to test out a knee issue, and 2 weight training sessions.

Sunday was a local 12k and it was painful. I haven't run in 2 weeks and boy did I feel it. The course is very hilly. I won't be doing it next year, most of it wasn't that scenic to make the suffering worth it. I came in slower than I'd hoped but I also didn't realize how bad the hills were.

I was going to swim tonight but I'm feeling beat so I'll skip and go home.

Tomorrow will be treadmill and weights. Wed swim, Thurs treadmill and weights, Fri swim (maybe), Saturday run outside, Sunday who knows. I volunteer every Sunday starting at noon so sometimes I can't get in a decent workout before I go. I'm too tired afterwards.

This has been a good brain break. I'll start back up with structure in January. I feel 0 remorse for skipping a day or two, or even 3 a week. Whee!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used coins to count laps on the track before :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I fucked up. Was at the bar, knocked over my glass, and tried to be swift and catch it. Instead, I sliced a chunk out of my finger.

It has since sealed up well, smaller, but I really want to swim tonight.

How to wrap/seal big cut???

Also: love hearing we do the same thing for different purposes!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been known to use plastic wrap and duct tape to keep things dry when I'm desperate.

Do be careful if the wound is deep though - you don't want to wind up with an infection. Clean it out really well after swimming with some peroxide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried it. No game. It leaked. Thankfully, it didn't hurt. Until I got in the shower and caught a hair on it. May have screamed. A little.

A lot.

Had another good swim (up to .48 miles!) and was able to clean the cut and rebandage.

Yay for less guppiness!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what if you skip the plastic wrap stage and just put duct tape on it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am also making peppermint bark with my AP Chem students tommorow - we discuss heat transfer, melting point and crystallization (tempering chocolate) - and they actually learn something! That is also deadly delicious! And I have to sample each groups batch or they get offended if I only sample one - sigh!

That's awesome - I bet they will appreciate it. I'm not familiar with the AP Chem curriculum, but the AP Stats and AP Calc are pretty 'canned' and there wasn't a whole lot of room to do extra, fun stuff. One thing I did with my AP Stats students when I student taught was an Oreo experiment to compare two population means. The "populations" are double-stuffed oreos and regular oreos, the question being is the amount of filling actually double :-) they got 20 min or so to dissect the frosting from cookies, mass it, and then we analyzed the data.

Quote:
This weeks workouts:
Signed up for first half iroman today - princeton 70.3 at the end of september - I AM CRAZY BUT I AM GONNA GO FOR IT!!!! Quite a workout typing the registration on my computer between snarfing down XMAS cookies.
stop eating so many XMAS cookies
stop baking so many XMAS cookies

LOL.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? December 16 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's gorgeous!!
But I am unsure how you got it, I have a little 2 inch tattoo and nearly cried, and it wasn't over the sternum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried plastic wrap and duct tape - no game. It was a soggy mess.

That said, I swam anyway and re-bandaged. Thankfully, the glass was so sharp it cut clean through, so it seems to have sealed up quickly and cleanly.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? December 16 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I will say it's not the most pleasant thing, but the combination of a good artist, a rotary machine (a bit more comfortable than electric coil machines) and being completely committed to the work let me get through it without too much wincing. That being said, I wouldn't recommend the experience - I've got a pretty solid pain threshold and have quite a few tattoos, but even I wasn't too talkative while the artist was working directly over the bone.

You can kind of zone out a little, just like you can put the pain of a long race out of your mind for awhile, but there's just no escaping the fact it's gonna hurt. Even now, 3 days later, it's pretty sore - the skin and the muscles underneath. Feels like a really awful sunburn, and I can't wait until I get home to get my damn shirt off! The payoff is that I freakin' love how it looks, and while there's still a lot of work to be done (re-doing all of the original linework & filling with brown, white & beige) I already have something that makes me smile every time I see it.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Mistress K - awesome tat! I am about due for my third and am stumped about what to get - nothing that big though, you are brave - still it's a beaut!!! Hope Tanker feels better, that sucks :-(

Last week:
Skate 2x - FAIL only 1x due to a f'up with the transit system (shoulda rode there dunh!)
Run 3x EZ - WIN and felt great!
Ride 2x - WIN
Ghetto Gym 3x - WIN

This week:
Skate 3x
Run 3x
Ride - any (optional)
Ghetto Gym 3x

I have added some dryland drills for the ghetto gym because.... I FINALLY HAVE A GOAL!

Last Wed's skate, coach comes to talk to me after we get off the ice... "Hey Andy, good skating, you are finding that outside edge really nicely... um, can I ask what is your sporting background? You seem to have a lot of endurance... and how old are you?" After a bit of my long & sordid tri/ultra/XC history, and learning my age, she says "I think you are a long tracker." (I kinda already knew this but hey it's good to be validated I guess.) "I think you should start training for the Masters Long Track Nationals."

It was like a light bulb going off. BAM. I haven't had a solid goal since finishing Comrades, and have really been floating aimlessly because of that. I am extremely goal oriented, I love a challenge and now I have one. So I havde these super crazy hard dryland drills that I've started incorporating and am prepared to buy larger pants as my legs & butt get bigger. :-)

So 2015 nats are in Calgary in Feb, and the 2014s are in Quebec City (Feb 22/23). I am flying home from Florida the week before and am really tempted to fly thru Montreal to take a side hop to Quebec City and try the 2014s - even if I finish DFL it would be good experience. We'll see what coach says - I don't have to register until early Feb. :-)

SO DAMN EXCITED NOW!!!!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply

Prev Next