Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Dec. 4 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 4 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals this week: 5 swims, 3 rides, day off from running
done, rode twice (but bike miles > running miles, which is a win), done!

6 runs for 42.8 miles
2 bikes for 43.4 miles
6 swims for 4750 yds

goals this week: at least one day off from running, 2 rides, 5 swims

In other news, 3 of my 6 kittens have been adopted!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hurray kittens! :-)

Had a good week.

OWS x1
Bike x4
Run x3

Wow was my OWS hard yesterday. Howling offshore wind, exceptionally strong currents, and just a general sense of fatigue going into the swim. Oy. We had my kid and his 2 buddies out there on kayak support and they probably had it harder than us with all the paddling in the wind. But, they are young and find misery fun. Haha. I am actually sore in my core from my swim. That is a first. I think it is from trying to keep myself streamlined versus tossed about in the chop.

I picked up a Wahoo Kickr on Black Friday and it arrived and I got it set up on Saturday. I like it better than my dumb trainer. The hardest uphill on the Kickr is substantially harder than my hardest gear on the dumb trainer, so I'm looking forward to some power gains on the bike. I'll need it if I'm going to be ready for Wildflower and the Nasty Grade. I won't have time to train on the course much this year.

In other news, just enjoying some nice times in life. And still trying to lose 25 pounds. At least I'm not gaining any more....

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kitties! What fun. And good for you, DR TC, for being a foster kitty mama. And you got in a nice set of workouts.

SLO, I'm jealous that you get to do OWS this time of year. And that you've got Wildflower as a race. Maybe some year I can get out that way. Twenty-five pounds is an ambitious weight loss goal. Do you have a plan on how to go about it?

My big news is that I wrapped up my career with an early retirement last week. I was cramming to the end with transitioning projects, so I didn't get much training in--a couple of short runs and one bike. I'm starting a contract gig today, so I've been busy setting up all the tech that is usually done by an IT dept. Oye Vey--my head is about to explode!

I did resolve that from now on I start the day with stretches and some kind of aerobic exercise--before I even turn on the computer. Day one was successful in that regard.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 4 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds like a good resolution. Congrats on your retirement!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit of a drop off this week with travel and having that eye infection for 4 days (kept me out of the pool M/Tu), but I still got something done every day. I'm now at day 107 of some sort of exercise.

Workouts -
M: Trainer 45 min
Tu: Evan the trainer workout
W: Trainer 35 min; fly to Houston
Th: Treadmill 30 min; weights 10 min (hotel); work all day in Houston and drive to Austin
F: Yoga 31 min (hotel); work all day and fly home
Sa: Evan the trainer workout; trainer 20 min
Su: Yoga 1:20; Trainer 25 min

Biggest bummer is that my trainer is moving back to Austin in 2 weeks. I'm crushed as we are now on a really good roll - I'm down +20 pounds since mid-August.

I did get my new Tacx Neo trainer set up last night and my friends showed me Zwift. I asked about Sufferfest, Zwift and TrainerRoad in the Tri Forum, so will test ride all three of them. I did a 6.1 mile Zwift ride this morning - pretty crazy how it mimics hills, etc. I'm used to just getting on the trainer and spinning away with no changes. I think my fitness will increase!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Twenty-five pounds is an ambitious weight loss goal. Do you have a plan on how to go about it?

Well.... I do have a plan. I just keep deferring it. The holiday season doesn't help...

1. Stop partying with my girlfriends. Now that our kids are all grown and off to college, we are all re-living our youth and having a great time. On Tuesday. And Wednesday. And all the days. While it has been an absolute blast, time to get back on track. It doesn't help that I work in the sin industry and have easy, practically free access to sins (gluttony and imbibing).

2. Stop eating all that crap at work. We have a building full of 20-28 year-old folks who are easily bribed by foods. For instance, this morning there were donuts in the breakroom (I avoided). Then at lunch today there was gourmet pizza and salad. I did have pizza. Need to not have that. I'm good at avoiding the dozen or so candy bowls around the office. Then the 1-2x per week evening work meetings that come with either catered dinner or heavy appetizers. Group lunches are where I fall apart, especially since leadership is expected to show up and engage. I stopped self-control the last 16 months or so, but have re-engaged self-control, so it is already getting better.

3. Calorie counting. I'm good at that - I'm a natural tracker. I just need to stay in my budget.

I'm 166lbs right now. I normally float at around 155. But I want to get to my race weight of 141. I think I can get to 155 fairly easily by being a good girl. Getting to race weight is going to require mad discipline. I haven't had that in 10 years.... we'll see.

I burn plenty of calories each with with between 8-12 hours of training (S/B/R). I just eat too much!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 4 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it less difficult to up the training hours than to reduce the eating. I've been stress eating (fats and sweets) for the last month, and it shows. :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik and hooray for the kittens!
SLO, congratulations on the big OWS -- your swim adventures are epic.
Congratulations on your retirement, Tri3.
I hope you find a new "Evan" IronCLM -- fingers crossed!

My goals for the week were 3 bikes, swims, and runs plus 2 strength sessions, 1 yoga and daily p/rehab.

I swam four times but only ran twice (though I swapped my third run for a beautiful morning of backcountry snowshoeing on Mt. Hood -- my winter wonderland pictures are on Instagram). On Friday, I swam in the ocean without a wetsuit and I am sad to say I think that was the last bikini swim until the spring. On Saturday, I rode my bike over the canyons to volunteer for a local ultra trail race while cheering for my training partner who was racing his first (but not last) 50K. Then I went to Oregon for less 48 hours where I ate and drank like a Roman party guest (and played in the snow!). I'll clean up my act/diet a little this week and will also do 3 bikes, swims, and runs plus 2 strength sessions, 1 yoga and daily p/rehab.

I hope everyone has a great week of training.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 4 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like many who responded to your post on the main forum, I'm a big TR fan. The training plans are great, and add the structure I need, particularly in the winter when I cannot ride outside.

Sufferfest is fun for when you can crank up the stereo and go hard. I don't subscribe though--I've been around long enough that I have videos that I purchased. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Like many who responded to your post on the main forum, I'm a big TR fan. The training plans are great, and add the structure I need, particularly in the winter when I cannot ride outside.

Sufferfest is fun for when you can crank up the stereo and go hard. I don't subscribe though--I've been around long enough that I have videos that I purchased. ;-)

Thanks- i’m going to try all three for a month and then kind of see which works best!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey ladies. I haven't been hanging out here much because I'm injured and it kind of makes me sad to hear how everyone is SBR'ing without me. :( I had sharp pain in my knee after a speed run last month, but it went away after a week or so of rest. Then suddenly one day I couldn't bend or put weight on my knee!!! I was able to get into the doc and referred to an ortho who thinks it's just an inflamed IT band... I have had problems with that IT band before but this is sharp pain inside the knee so who knows? I have an MRI scheduled for Saturday so send me your good thoughts please. Not going to lie, part of me will be ticked if all this pain (and a missed race) is because of a stupid IT band, but logically I know that is the best case scenario. At this point I just want to know what is going on.

Dr. TC, I think we need kitten pics.
SLO, jealous of your OWS weather. I am not ready for the cold. I thought about selling my tri bike for a Wahoo Kickr - please continue to update how it is.
Tri3, congrats on your retirement! Sounds like you didn't get much of a break, though.
CLM, congrats on the streak! Hopefully you will find another good trainer.
SoCal, sounds like a blast.

Also, I got an email that I have a free month of Trainer Road to give away, if anyone wants it.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 4 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no! Get well soon, Midtown Miles -- keep us posted.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, not to let you down, but lot's of us have had that free month of TR email. ;-)

Let us know how the MRI turns out. Be sure to get the radiology report for yourself. Often, you can get the results faster that way then waiting for a followup appointment.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just creeping back into the swing of things following the offseason... so I don't have anything in the way of impressive workout numbers to share. BUT -- I'm back in the pool for the first time since Worlds. :) Met my goal of going twice in the last week. Hope I can keep it up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MM, 5 of the 6 kittens have been adopted! Mom cat and the last little black kitten are at Petco awaiting their knight-in-shining-armour family. :-)

My fingers are crossed for you that the knee pain is just IT band related. Keep us updated.

Quote Reply