Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? August 5 Edition
Quote | Reply
Tell us about it!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 5 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a good week for triathlon. I did finish and submit a paper, so that is really good news, and I got a B on the maths test I'd been stressing over.
School and life got busy (out late with a friend on T. night, cousins visiting over the weekend), so all I really did was run. Did meet the goal of swimming once but clearly no biking.

M - 5 mi run + 45 min yoga + 3.3 mi run
T - 14 mi run + 1 mi walk
W - off
T - 13.1 mi run + 1.5 mi walk
F - 5 mi run + 55 min. yoga + 1800 yd swim
S - 11 mi run + 1.8 mi walk
S - 9 mi run + 1.3 mi walk + lift

totals: 1h40 yoga, 5.6 mi walk, 60.4 mi run, 1800 yd swim

I waterskiied on Saturday and that was AWESOME. I woke up sore from it - it was nice to feel sore - that's kind of what motivated lifting.
Food is still so-so. I need to make time to journal as that would help.

This week... my gosh I don't know. Today is busy; I work 9a-8p (possibly may get out early). Tomorrow I have to leave the house at 6:30 am to get to my aunt's house - staying with a cousin who is having her wisdom teeth out today. Things look less busy after that. I wish cycling killed stress for me like running does, because really the lots of running is the AAAAAA I am stressed out.

The big huge stressor right now is a conference proposal that I'm having a lot of trouble writing. Computer will come with me today so when I have an hour lunch break I can work on it.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Aug 5, 13 2:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with the proposal.

Had a bit of a setback this week--pushed too far on my so called "long run" and paid the price in the form of back spasms for five days straight, which led my PT to reduce all my activities. Sigh.

Gave the "long run" another go yesterday and was up in the middle of the night with hip pain. Double sigh.

There are days when I just feel like throwing in the towel....

So my one goal for this week is to stop when I fatigue and before I make things worse. Which is really hard for me to do.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decent week last week. I was short on my run mileage by 12mi. Oh well.
It was mainly because my day off last Mon. for the sore foot (which was completely resolved by taking that one day off), and because I decided to run a 5k on Sat.
So got on the bike 4x last week - yay
Swam 1x with friends - yay, got in a good workout

I was happy with the 5k. I finally warmed up better than in the past. Warming up is hard for me because I always worry I'm putting something into the warm up and taking away from the race. This is from my past, when just getting through a 5k was a struggle.
Anyway, took off WAY TOO FAST on the 5k... I wore my garmin to help me pace... so I backed off. And some more. And there was a pretty good hill in that first mile. A speedy speedy friend of mine passed me in that first mile and said "hey, thanks for coming out" and I replied "no problem" and had no trouble talking while I was running that fast, so I figured maybe I was doing OK.
My garmin buzzed the first mile and well, let's just say that's the fastest mile I've ever ran. Hmmm... OK, now I know I can run under a 7:00. The route kept being a bit hilly but I was running about as fast as I could go while keeping myself from imploding. At the very end, you do 3/4 of a lap on a track. There, it felt like my diaphram was cramping. I'm fairly happy with my finish and all, considering I swam a hard 3k the night before and didn't really take any time off for it except to not run the day before. No PR, but it was hilly!!! Whew!
Then my husband and I went on a bike ride that afternoon, and on the way out, he decided to push it and see if I could hang on. I did, but I was dying a thousand deaths.

This week - chill, relax, get ready for Saturday's "A" race.

4 weeks to go in the residency.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 5 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your continuing problems with your back and hip.

As an objective observer - please don't take offense - a couple of things jumped out at me from your post

Tri3 wrote:

Had a bit of a setback this week--pushed too far on my so called "long run" and paid the price in the form of back spasms . . .

Gave the "long run" another go yesterday and was up in the middle of the night with hip pain. . . .

So my one goal for this week is to stop when I fatigue . . .

Which is really hard for me to do.

This tells me you are trying to jump in and do what you were doing before your injury. DON'T DO THAT!!!!!!!

You should not be doing ANY long runs until you have a couple of successful short runs under your belt. AND, don't wait until you fatigue to stop your workout. STOP knowing you could do more well before you fatigue. Give yourself a couple of weeks where you have consistent, frequent, successful SHORT, EASY runs with no problems before you tackle the long runs and push to exhaustion.

We've all been there - we are all type A personalities who don't like limitations - but the best way to get back in the game for good is to take it slow and EZ until you are pain free.

Can you swim or ride or does that aggravate your back too?

Healing wishes your way.[url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC - Good luck with proposal

Determination - way to go with the 5K!!! Good luck with your A race this week!

Last week - was a good week even though I didn't meet my run goals:

3 swims - score - working on guppie technique drills and, while not getting faster, getting more consistent on time for each 100 in sets of 100s with short rest - if that makes any sense
3 rides - miss - only 2 but 2 hard rides
5 runs - miss - only 4 runs - 2EZ, 1 tempo & hill sprints, 1 long with 3miles tempo

This week - must meet my run goals!!!! Running is my biggest weakness!
3 swims - continue to focus on technique and endurance sets
2 rides - 1 hard, 1 EZ
5 runs - 3EZ, 1 race pace intervals, 1 long

At end of week, my hubby and I leave for Montanna to spend a week hiking in Glacier National Park. Let me know if there are any must do hikes or places to go! All tips are appreciated!

Have a good week everybody!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One long walk and one swim. Weight's up and that's bugging me, so my diet will be in better check.

Picked out the wedding cake and today I meet with the florist, so those are two big checkmarks. Work stress has decreased significantly, and the weather has cooled off. Hopefully I can get back from the florist at a reasonable time and get a run in. I still have another super-sprint on the calendar, but am more concerned with the half marathon in November. I really need to rack up the miles so I have a good time. The destruction to my body that occurred after my first one is simply not an option.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 5 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reminder--and no offense taken. My word of the week is "patience." The most important objective at this point is to be able to consistently train--rather than have these setbacks.

Trust me, I'm not anywhere near doing what I did before the injuries. The reason it is a "so called" long run is that it is much more walking than running--ten minute walk to warm up; then miles at 2 minute run/3 minute walk; then more walking to cool down--and that's after building up to it over the past six weeks. I'm still learning where the limits are and how to recognize them.

Cycling is limited to upright on the trainer, and no swimming at all. :-(

The good news of the day is that my PT did some tests today and said I've recovered 80% strength in my hip and 90% in my core, so there's hope yet. :-)

Last edited by: Tri3: Aug 5, 13 12:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madcyclist--I was last in Glacier Park decades ago, and during the off season when most roads were still closed, so I don't have any specific tips to offer. I will say that my experience generally at national parks during the summer has been that it is better to focus on the harder to get to/less well known/less popular spots. If you're up for it, backpacking instead of car camping is the way to go.

Agilechiper--phew, we're all going to breathe a sigh of relief for you when the wedding is done. Hang in there!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 5 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you are following a smart plan! It sounds like you are making progress, but slower than you want. I would be frustrated too! Still be careful on the long walk/runs - always end on a high note - thinking that you could do more but are saving it for the next time!

I used to race bikes but started multi-sport a couple of years ago after a pretty serious bike crash - cracked my skull despite wearing a helmet. Crashing at 40mph tends to break lots of bones. Couldn't do anything for months bc of broken bones, dizziness and vision problems. When I got back on my bike for the first time about 6 months after the crash, I was in tears bc the dizziness came back in spades with the cycling position/motion and all the visual distractions. Months and months of vestibular therapy helped with the dizziness caused by visual distractions - but it took 4 months of baby steps on my bike before I was comfortable riding on the road so I can understand the frustration. You will get back to running (and biking & swimming) - patience is definitely your friend right now!!!

Healing hugs your way!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
4xswim - done!
5xbike - done!

This week:
5xswim
5xbike
4xrun

Yes - running! I've got 10 minute runs in my schedule. This will be the first time since my injury that I'm cleared to go, so we will see what happens. I think the time in the pool has really been helping my pelvic stability. The PT exercises are getting easier and easier, but I am still like the princess and the pea with it being slightly out. I'm just feeling really hopeful that this is all behind me.

Had a decent swim TT on Wednesday (and Tuesday, but I didn't believe it the first time,) but was relatively flat in the pool over the weekend. I was nailing flip turns in my warmup on Sat but promptly fell apart and started missing the wall. Sigh. I really hope I can get this down.

My wedding is also in Sept. I probably need to make a list of things to do. I will add making a list to my list.
Last edited by: katcycle: Aug 5, 13 17:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Participated in my second triathlon on Saturday -- had a great time, came 2nd in my AG and 6th overall. Dragged a friend out with me, who came 4th. :) I did have some issues with the swim... got really short of breath in my wetsuit and did part of it backstroke. It was the first time I had ever run 5 k after doing another activity (I just started running in June), so I was pleased to discover I could do that without keeling over or puking. lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good Grief it's Monday again??
Last week-
Tuesday-S=2200 yds,
Wednesday- B=trainer 45 min, R=tempo 45 min
Thursday- Open water swim & run 30/20
Saturday- Brick workout 90/30
Sunday- B=2 hrs
Hit all but one planned workout, switched rest day from Tuesday to Monday. Sunday's ride came with a stop at the beach for breakfast about 5-6 miles from the end of the ride.
This week- Do whatever I can find the time or energy to do. I am working as an official M-F at Junior Nationals. Today's total time was 14+ hours from the time I left in the morning, to the time I got home tonight. I am getting to see some awesome swims. One gal in the 800 Free tonight was in Barcelona for Open Water World Champs, then swam the US Open last week...talk about a busy schedule. Will probably get a brick in on Saturday, and a long ride on Sunday, but other than that, it will just be run, if I can find the time between sessions.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing your story.

Quote:
always end on a high note - thinking that you could do more but are saving it for the next time!

Good advice--I'll try to remember it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello all
I took a bit of a break. I had a bad day at the Boston Marathon, and just needed time to put stuff into perspective. I was finished and I was near the baggage buses at the time of the bombing, didn't even hear them - not physically effected in any way, but was very emotionally effected by the whole mess and what two stupid, mean, horrible people can do to ruin other people's lives. One of my friends was straight across from one of the bombs, he was ok, things could be so much worse. Anyway...
I've dedicated this year to running. I want to go back to Boston in 2014 and have a good marathon. That will hopefully help with the healing process.

But I've missed the womens community. I had previously signed up for a bike tour in France (so much for my year of running), so I rode in the Alps for a week mid July, and saw 4 stages of the Tour, and with the start of the swim challenge, I don't feel like I'm just a runner, I thought I'd come back and chat w/ y'all.

So my week:
I managed 2 swims - wanted 3.
only one bike, but that's ok, still recovering from France.
Managed 6 runs, total of 59 miles, wanted 60, but got in my first 20 miler since Boston, and was pleased w/ that.

Goals for next week.
Swim - at least 3 times, finally feeling like I might be getting a tiny bit faster.
Bike - won't have time. My daughter gets married on Sunday.
Run - want 5 times, hopefully near 60 miles for the week.

Happy training everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 5 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am happy to see you back.
The France trip sounds awesome!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- run x 6 incl last long run for MSNR: WIN with biggest mileage week ever
- bike x 3: WIN
- swim x 4: WIN
- core/strength x 4: WIN

The long run went well - broken toe is behaving itself (not causing any trouble past Wednesday) and fortunately my right knee seems to be ok despite falling on it on some pointy rocks. Stupid gravel spill on a steep slope in the park near my house; left foot just went out from under me and I landed pretty hard. This after shredding the skin on two of my knuckles scrubbing up my livingroom floor Friday evening, then I burned my hand on the oven Saturday making brunch. At this rate there'll be nothing left of me to run Midsummer!

This week's goals:
- run x 6
- bike x 3
- swim x 4
- core/strength x 3

Have done something to the back of my right shoulder - sore as hell today, possibly from hitting the driving range on Sunday. At least I'm starting to taper, right?

Hope everyone is having a great week, and that healing progresses well for those who are working through injuries - at least you know they're probably not as stupid as mine!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Pretty good!

Monday: Off
Tuesday: 5 mile run with strides, 2200 yd swim
Wednesday: 6 mile run with 8x1/2mile repeats, 20 mile bike ride
Thursday: Off
Friday: 2300 m swim, 3 mile run
Saturday: 30 mile bike
Sunday: 12 mile run

As last week, there are too many details to put here. More information on my blog ( http://racingrobsons.com/...eekly-recap-roundup/ )

Beth @ http://www.racingrobsons.com/beth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks TC, I missed you.
Sounds like you're doing really well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
7 really good swims - picked up my pace a bit in parts of the guppy challenge. My neck/shoulder issues flared up early this week, so I've had to back off ;-( But I think it's a temporary setback, I'm looking forward to seeing what Dan has for us for the last half of the program.
1 "real" bike ride, 18 miles - still not comfortable, but not afraid, either
1 bike trainer session, 45 min, able to add in a bit of intensity.
2 pathetic walk/run sessions, but it's been in the high 90's with a heat index in the 100-109 range, so I'm not going to beat myself up about those.
2 PT sessions with some pretty intense workouts - I think they contributed to the neck/shoulder flare-up, but my PT thinks I'm making progress, so I can deal with it.
Slept 6.5 hours in a row one night!
Started back on celebrex to try to get my headaches under control - I'm weird about taking meds, but I need a break and some rest.
Eating was pretty bad, but I think I'm getting my mind closer to where it needs to be to start working on that issue.

The insurance company's adjustor called yesterday and said that at this point, they think I should be doing better, and I need to talk to my Dr/PT about changing up my treatment plan. She called when I was sitting in a small private locker room at work, with the lights off, because my head was throbbing. I almost wanted to cry - I'm doing everything I can, I just have traditionally healed more slowly than other people. I was proud that I didn't spout off and ask where she got her medical degree or suggest that she go ride a bike into the side of a car and see how long it takes her to heal - it wasn't that I had such great self-control, it was more that I didn't have the energy. I worked through it - I know she's just doing her job, and I'm doing what I need to. I'm trying to focus on the things I can control.... Part of my PT session today involved throwing a big medicine ball around - it was great for stress relief!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 5 Edition [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You held your temper better than i would have. Hang in there, and keep making progress forward!

Quote Reply