Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? August 27
Quote | Reply
Tell us about it

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 27 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals for this week: (1) no bingeing (2) 4-5 rides (3) 3-4 swims ... running as foot allows...
Some done. Met the second and third ones. 4/7 on good days eating

My week was okay. I have a lot of anxiety without running, and I ran too much at the beginning of the week and got hurt again. Eating has been difficult; I alternated between restricting and bingeing last week. I did write in my journal twice, and the goal this week is to do that every day, because it helps. Today's goal: review my Dutch vocab and journal. And have an okay day for eating.

It was the last week of camp, so I am home now - on vacation for a bit. I have a lot to do but have just been reading today and studying a tiny bit.

M - 8 mi run
T - 4.5 mi run + 1800 yd swim
W - 6 mi run + 6 mi bike
T - 40 mi bike
F - 20 mi bike + 2000 yd swim
S - 14 mi bike + 1400 yd swim
S - 1600 yd swim + 25 mi bike

Totals: 9400 yd swim, 105 mi bike, 18.5 mi run

Goals for this week: journal every day, swim 2x, ride 5x, run as foot allows, no bingeing.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Aug 27, 12 11:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monday: journaling done; good day w/ food :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not great. I'm having some problems with my heel still so only ran twice. I tried swimming on Sunday, went to the gym 2x because of mis-communication, so only swam once.

I am down a couple pounds though! Yay me! Of course my scale has me all over the place but in general trending down.

Tonight: Swim 30-45'
Tomorrow: OFF - Working from 8-5 then work function at 6.
Wed: Run 30'
Thursday: OFF - Another work all day then work function starting at 5.
Friday: Swim 30-45' Parents in town so it will be tough to squeeze this in. Might have to do it after 8:00pm
Sat: Run 45'
Sun: Swim
Mon: Run 30'

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a good running week, but didn't get any bike or swim :(

M- walk
T - 8.4.
W - 4.6 in a.m., 10 w/ 4 miles at 1/2 marathon pace in p.m.
Th - walk
F- 10
sat- 5.1
Sun - 20 , It was HOT and HUMID. But I finished. :)

This week is a recovery week. And my girls are coming home from college for long weekend, so goal is 45 miles running w/ one bike and one swim.
Happy training everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this week's goals:
- swim x 3: WIN
- bike x 2: WIN with 3, though one was a GIANT fail
- run x 4: WIN
- mobility/core x 4: WIN

too much confidence + not enough speed coming into a rock garden = first ever DNF + first broken wrist

race report here: http://illadvisedracing.blogspot.ca/...road-tri-august.html

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Ouchie! Hope you heal up well... :-(

Last week:
Run 4x -> DONE including a Smokin tempo 10miler that felt amazing!
Swim 1x -> DONE (2500m straight and felt fantastic)
WCP 2X -> DONE
Ride every day dammit including 2x Commute+ rides. -> Almost done, rode 5times with one Commute+ (2hr).

This week:
Run 4x
Swim 1x
WCP 2x
Ride 6x including one 4hr+ ride.

4 weeks til Leadman! Getting excited! also considering signing up for Challenge Penticton...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 27 [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch! I hope it heals quickly. What are your limitations as far as activity? (haven't read blog yet)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well i can't use my left hand yet - hurts to move fingers/thumb, and until i see the orthopedic surgeon this afternoon i'm still in a splint wrapped in a tensor bandage that they may have made just a little too tight since my fingers are all swollen. can't run, even have to be careful walking because the jarring hurts, but the ER doc that set it said i shouldn't need hardware.

once i see the ortho i should get a permanent cast, and i'm going to push hard for a sport/waterproof one. want to start swimming again, set up a bike on the trainer to spin, and get back to running as soon as i can handle it. have faint hopes of racing an olympic on sept 16th; my weight rests on my elbow in the aerobars, not on my hands, so it's possible.

have to see if i can drive after i get the permanent cast - it's no-go right now since the left hand is useless and we only have a 5-speed. pretty much assured i won't be riding my motorcycle down to michigan for a rally on friday, but hope i can drive myself so tanker can ride down. i can hop on the back of his bike for some of the group rides while we're down there.

for now, i'm walking...and well..

i figure 4 over par for 18 isn't too bad while gimped ;)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Mistress K --> HEAL FAST!!!! But please don't think about doing a tri in a cast. You may be able to ride bike with minimal pain but you may not be able to handle the brake levers or bull horns in a cast. I've been there and it sucks but think long term.

Tigerchik -->. Hope foot is letting you run some! Enjoy vacation.

To everyone else, hope your week is going well. The weather here in NJ feels like it is fall so it will be hard to not ride myself silly this week!

Last week didn't meet goals bc I cooked myself early in the week - feeling fresh and hit those intervals too hard. Need to get out of trackie mentality where all of your intervals are short, all out, leave nothing in the tank efforts. I need to embrace the endurance athlete mentality - race pace efforts should initially feel easy and the burn doesn't start until the second third.

Last week:
3 swims - HIT
5 runs - Hit 4 runs including 2 bricks, skipped the easy run
4 bikes - Only managed 2 rides, skipped the easy rides
Need to get those easy run/rides in!

This week: Race Saturday so taking it easy this week
3 easy short swims
2 short easy rides with short race pace efforts followed by easy run
3 runs - one tempo w/race pace pickups, two easy bricks
Then RACE Sat! WOHOOO!!!! Will be my fourth sprint ever and I'm excited about it!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 27 [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on the racing with a cast of any type of major injury. It's just not worth it. Not only that it's a major hazard for other racers during the swim. Most RDs don't want you out there with a cast.

To the OP, enjoy your race on Sat! Port a RR if you can ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought I might get some good ows in, since I staying in Red Feather LAKES. And indeed, there are many of them and very nice looking. But who knew they jealously guard water in CO, so no go on the swimming. Did get in nearly 50 miles of day hikes.

This weeks goal is 25K of swimming in 5 swims with a least one 4 mile ows.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Late to the party... but my week was good. Topped it off with the last tri of the year on Sunday the 26th and it went better than expected. I ended up leading on the bike, behind the 'pace truck' with hazards flashing and everything... felt like a rock star! It wasn't a super large field but I had a good time.

Now it's time to start a new job on Sept. 4th and a new lifestyle... I have a 1 year residency in prosthetics to do and it's 3 hrs away from home. Hours will be M-Th, 10 hour work days. I plan to fly home to see the hubby and dog as much as possible!

OH, and it's CYCLOCROSS season, so time to switch up the training for that!!!

Misstressk, feel better soon!!!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 27 [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3, that's an awesome amount of hiking!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 27 [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know your pain. I broke my wrist in an Xterra Tri on June 17 and had my first DNF. I was hit from behind by another rider and down we went. Best guess anyone (including my 2 surgeons) can come up with is that my arm got caught between the handle bars of the two bikes and pretty much sheered my left hand from my arm. The resulting injuries included a broken ulna, a broken radius, a shattered radial head (10-12 pieces), three broken carpal bones and a total dislocation of the hand from the arm. Both Drs would have assumed I had either been hit by a car or fallen from a motorcycle going 55mph plus as neither had ever seen that much damage from bike crash. I had surgery on June 25 and am now the proud owner of a plate and nine internal pins plus some minor nerve damage to my hand. I also formerly owned 2 external pins but they were removed 5 weeks post surgery on July 31st. I am now in my 4th week of PT with another 8-10 weeks planned with the goal of having "functional" range of motion. They are pretty sure I will never regain full extension or flexion but "functional" is possible.

Sending you healing thoughts for a fast recovery!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 27 [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh man, i'm so sorry to hear that! feeling pretty lucky that mine is straightforward by comparison; i just need to stop being a jackass and trying to do stuff with my left hand that makes it hurt (and thus, i'm sure is impeding healing). i hope when you're through that your new "normal" isn't too far from your former one!

looks like june 17th was a pretty crappy day all 'round (that's the day my dad passed away this year). best of luck with your recovery!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
My advice is to do very little with it until you can get the swelling to come down. I had mine on 3-4 pillows at all times to keep it elevated above my heart. Once the swelling subsides, it starts to feel much better (and your fingers won't be blue). And then once the swelling comes down, use your fingers (make a fist, stretch them out, etc) alot. The more you can keep elasticity in your tendons, muscles, and ligaments the better. My biggest issue is that I was immobilized up to my shoulder for close to 6 weeks. Things don't like to be in 1 position for 6 weeks.

and very sorry to hear about your dad.

-dd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the swelling dropped the day after they put the first cast on (i'd been in a splint w/tensor bandage around it for 3 days), so the current cast gives almost no support - i can just about slide my arm right out of it. i get a new one tomorrow, and i'm still keeping it elevated and definitely moving fingers around to try to keep it from stiffening up, but i almost passed out in my kitchen last night while making a peanut butter sandwich - lost my grip on the jar, it started sliding toward the edge of the counter, so i instinctively grabbed for it with the bad arm...yipes!

it's stupid things like "i'll just hold my phone in the bad hand for a second while i do something", then despite the fact it hurts i end up doing it 30 times a day. just so frustrating trying to live one-handed, or to have to ask for help with the simplest things!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
MisstressK, time to learn some restraint.... Seriously, hope your recovery goes as well as it can. Have you got a good PT?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow instigator, I had no idea! Best wishes for the remainder of your PT and recovery.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't have a PT at all, to be honest. i'll likely get a referral from the ortho once we get to that point, but i also know a lot of good wrist strength and mobility exercises as well. have to see what kind of shape i'm when the cast comes off; i don't even know how long i'll have it for yet. get the new cast this afternoon, so maybe after another set of xrays the ortho will have a clearer prognosis.

as for restraint, i've been trying to work on that...for the last 33 years ;)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
The only expertise I have is from way too many broken bones and other injuries. Through that, I've been impressed with the importance of starting on rehab/mobility/flexibility as early in the process as possible. Don't wait too long to find a good PT.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm actually placing an order for some therapy putty today to start working on grip, dexterity and manipulation. took a look at a couple of articles with recommended exercises for distal radius fracture rehab, and it's exactly what i expected. swimming seems as though it'll help, too - have some sore muscles in the broken arm today after just 900m last night!

cheers!

-mistress k