Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? August 25 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 25 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Left 4 more messages today for doctors - fingers crossed.

2 PT sessions, 2 short runs (2,3 miles), and a 10mi bike ride. It's a lot more than the last few weeks, so nice to get back in the swing of things. A crazy violent thunderstorm (which are quite regular of late) rained out my 5k, but I did it on the treadmill at home :)

Hope y'all are doing well on the physical and mental health fronts!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 25 Edition [AC Tri Girl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing okay. Some of the work stress has dissipated. I binged 2 days last week but did fine yesterday and fine today.

Quote:
Goals for this week:
run ~45 mi I ran more than that, firstly because I forgot about that as a goal, and secondly because running is how I get rid of calories after I binge.
bike more miles than I run done!!! I am very proud of my bike miles this week.
swim 1-2x done, Sunday swim the last swim in the outdoor pool for the year :-( I also play-swam with some kids I was babysitting on Tuesday.
do well with food yeah not happy on that front

M: 13.5 mi run + 8 mi bike

T: 4 mi run + 13 mi bike
W: 11.5 mi run + 12 mi bike
T: 36 mi bike
F: 10.2 mi run
S: 36 mi bike
S: 13.3 mi run + 2600 m swim

Totals
swim 1x 2600 m
bike 5x 105 miles
run 5x 52 miles

Main goal for this week: finish the revisions to comprehensive exams (I got a conditional acceptance, which means once I make revisions, they're good). No binges. Swim at least twice, ride at least 112 miles (not all at once ;-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Aug 25, 14 11:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well... still not so good. I can't seem to motivate to do much, still, so:

I bought a new bike!

The bike is named "Phoenix" since I do intend to rise from this someday when I stop feeling like a huge pile of crap that someone just piled more crap on. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later as I am struggling with food and body image and just even feeling like a person who wants to do things. I'm sort of just operational right now.

PT continues to go well, but I have to cut back to once/week since that's all I can afford right now. I still think that is okay.

My BFF is coming this weekend. I've known him since I was 13, and it's been a long time since we have seen each other, so I am excited about that.

Goals for the week:
Don't give up
Last edited by: katcycles: Aug 25, 14 20:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week: run 4x - DONE and felt good!, ride 6x plus a big ride on the weekend - FAIL I rode 5x but skipped the big weekend ride in favour of working on the house, and I have to get to the pool before it closes for fall maintenance - total FAIL - I went for a big ass hike instead :-).

This week, I am off work so I'm going to relax and enjoy some time off, do some work on the house, sleep in, and whatever else I feel like doing or not :-) I'm also noticing that some days I have an odd dull ache/pain in my lower abdomen (really low like just above the pubic bone), it reminds me of that dull ache I had late in pregnancy... it's odd... Some mornings it's like really stiff/sore psoas, and jabbing my fingers in there helps. Running when I feel like that is really uncomfortable. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 25 Edition [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
new bike = totally deserved. What type? What color?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny how I don't even know any of you in person, but I've missed you for the past few weeks ;-)

I'm FINALLY taking some of the steps that I've been whining about, and while I'm still not accepting that I might never recover to where I was, I'm accepting that I need to start where I am. (Hope that makes sense!)

My big thing was I found a new coach. I'm not ready to officially train yet, but he offers help with nutrition and weight management as well, and he agreed to work with me on those things for now. I dug out my login info for fitday (I've used it before and have all of my custom foods set up), and I gave my coach my password. I've known for months that I needed to start logging my food, but without the accountability, I won't do it. He suggested eating as I have been, but as soon as I start writing things down, I just can't eat all of the crap that I had been putting in my body! This is the start of week 2, and it's going really well except the weight hasn't magically dropped like it usually does when you start a new and healthy eating plan. He has some ideas that sound reasonable, so once he sees what I'm eating and how it's working, he'll help me make some changes.

I also got cleared to return to swimming. My shoulder flared up right away, so I got in for a session with my coach and he helped me figure things out. I've also been doing some weight training every other week with a trainer and on my own a couple of times a week. I have one more PT session and then will be on my own for both the neuro and the orthopedic PT, but both therapists are accessible if I have questions. I am so blessed to have access to people who know their stuff and are gracious about sharing their knowledge!

I'm doing a little running and biking- it's a little tougher since I still get headaches when my heartrate goes up, and I don't deal with the heat as well. Since I live near Houston, that's a bit of a challenge. I could run on a treadmill, but I love to be outside and try to appreciate every moment that I can be out there getting back to the things I love. I do put my bike on the trainer sometimes, not because of the heat, but there are times when I just start worrying about getting hit and can't talk myself down. I went to a "Ghost Bike creation" event a few weeks ago - we were trying to get 40 bikes done so we can finish the Houston area. I don't know how many are already out there, but looking at all of those bikes and realizing that each one represented a cyclist who died was sad, inspirational, and scary.

Goals for this week - just keep going!
Diane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh. My weight is up. My activity is down.

I finally got the cortisone shot in my knee Wednesday and it pretty much feels worse. I did a run/walk on Thursday and there was 0 difference. It isn't helping at all.

This week the local outdoor pool has lap swim at 5;30 today and Thursday. I plan on heading there. Weather is perfect for it. I'm trying to figure out what to do next about my knee. I need to put down the fork in the meantime.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to get through my HM on the 24th and I managed! Only my third ever and I was really worried that I wouldn't make it because I hurt my ankle on July 8 and between then and the race only ran about 16 miles and most of them were in pain. Hoping that this motivates me to train a bit more as I have been feeling very sorry for myself. I have my second ever sprint tri on Sep 6th and another HM in the middle of October before my season is done.
Goals this week: run x 5, bike x 4, swim x 3.

Earlier in the week I attended my second ever structure fire (I'm a volunteer firefighter) and for the first time ever went into a burning building on air. The training has obviously paid off because I wasn't overly anxious/stressed about the whole fire aspect of things. Seeing the empty glass cage that housed a 6ft boa and not knowing the whereabouts of the snake was more unpleasant.

Would love to see pictures of Phoenix!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a new P2, so the white with blue. When Ex moved out, my TT bike got damaged. Just took the nice parts off the old frame and made a nicely upgraded P2. Pretty sure the shop thinks I'm crazy for not repairing the old frame, but I am so much happier with this decision. It feels like a new beginning.

Jen - so sorry to hear about your knee and that the shot isn't so great. I was really crossing my fingers for you. Keep us posted on how you're doing!
Last edited by: katcycles: Aug 26, 14 15:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was sort of a 'whatever' week. Last weekend was family weekend, so I swam the lake while my mom monitored me in the boat. That was kind of the only real workout I did over the weekend.
But, I did strength training 2x last week! yay! I have a goal to get back into it, mainly because I think it helps.
I did some swimming, biking, and running too, but just did whatever I felt like doing since tri season is over for me.

This week my house has priority, except for evenings I swim. This is the last week of outdoor swimming (Boo! Really nice outdoor 50m pool) and it makes me super sad. I really so wish we could swim 50m year round - and swimming outdoors just RULES.
It will be sad to go back to 25yds.
Lots of flip turns.

This weekend is going to be a huge 'work on the house' weekend - the bathroom renovation we've had going on forever is finally done. Now, the rest of the room is getting attention. This weekend the goal is to install a ceiling fan junction box, in a centered location in the room. Then install the ceiling tiles (think old tin ceiling style, not public school), and possibly rip out the carpet and paint the ceiling walls and trim. It all depends on how the ceiling tiles go.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 25 Edition [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
katcycles wrote:
... I do intend to rise from this someday when I stop feeling like a huge pile of crap that someone just piled more crap on. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later as I am struggling with food and body image and just even feeling like a person who wants to do things. I'm sort of just operational right now.

Sometimes simply being operational is a full-time chore unto itself, and the best we can do is keep on going.

I am just disillusioned at the moment. I had all these plans and hopes and dreams for this season and nothing has gone the way it was supposed to. I was going to do the 100KM Tour de Cure ride, participate in the Maine TT Series, get in at least 4 tris to justify my USAT membership, and lose 30 pounds. Instead, I dropped down to the 50KM TdeC, didn't ride a single TT, did one tri horribly underprepared and am now contemplating not even starting the second, and I'm plateaued anywhere between 2 and 4 pounds under my end-of-winter weight. For crying out loud, I bought a tri bike at the end of 2013, and I haven't even ridden it because the gearing on my road bike is so much better aligned with my current level of fitness.

I'm trying to concentrate on the positives, like the fact that I was invited back to a previous employer into a management position and I just got A's for all my summer semester courses, but it's been really tough to not just throw all the cards up in the air instead of continuing to build the house. I also found out this week that I need over $500-worth of dental work, including 4 fillings and a wisdom tooth out, and one of my core employees has accepted a position elsewhere in the company (great for him, sucks for me). It's been a tough summer, and I just don't see any end in sight.

That being said, I'm looking forward to the Labor Day weekend!

Goals for the next couple of weeks:
* Try and get in some swimming. ANY swimming.
* Ditto running. Oh, and riding.
* Convince myself that Pumpkinman is a good idea (especially since I've already paid), and maybe Pilgrimman would be fun
* Book a weekend away for SO's birthday
* Remember to keep checking my blood sugar twice a day now I've started new meds
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 25 Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
already paid for = definitely a good idea!

Quote Reply