Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? August 12 Edition
Quote | Reply
Ha, got the date right.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 12 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't make goals but had a good week - I finally got some decent cycling done!

M - 7.5 mi run
T - 3 mi run + 2000 yd swim
W - 6.3 mi run + 30 mi bike
T - 53 mi bike
F - 13.1 mi run + 2500 yd swim
S - 9.3 mi run
S - 46 mi bike

Totals: 4500 yd swim, 129 mi bike, 39.2 mi run
Also 1:45 yoga and 3 mi walking.

Goals for this week:
1. Get rid of cold
2. Keep bike time greater than run time

Food has been ok. I am trying to be less of a perfectionist... last night I had a thick slice of bread/butter and a muffin because I couldn't fall asleep. I wasn't hungry; I was just frustrated that I couldn't sleep. Not too stressed over it and that feels good.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went hiking with friends - 12miles of hiking over moss-covered rocks alternating with short areas of swimming to get to a waterfall. Currently super-sore in hips & ankles, but hoping to get a few short runs in this week before my last tri of summer, a super-sprint at Shadow Cliffs in Pleasanton. Gotta get revenge on that murky water and dusty trail! I can't believe this will be the conclusion of my first year of tri! What a journey it's been, and you ladies have helped every step of the way.

Anyway, after this Saturday's tri I will be focusing on biking and running. I want to destroy my 50k charity ride on Sept 28th - the biking will be my pre-wedding therapy - and the half-marathon I signed up for in November, and that will take a lot of work.

Wedding rant of the day: florists are scam artists.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- run x 6: WIN with a snappy last long run before Midsummer
- bike x 3: WIN though I would've liked one more yesterday
- swim x 4: WIN with a higher yardage week just because it felt good!
- core/strength x 3: WIN

The injuries are healing, and I'm ready for a real taper week after over 59hrs of training in the last 4 weeks. Got final plans laid for the race on Saturday so now it's time to rest up!

This week's goals:
- run x 5 incl Midsummer Night's 30k
- bike x 1
- swim x 3
- core/strength x 4 w/focus on mobility and stretching

On the super bright side, I've managed to drop a few more pounds and am the leanest I've been in over 3 years - hope to keep the nutrition spot on and stay light through this race as I build for the 50k at the beginning of October.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
awesome!
Good job TC

Anyway, decent week. I had the big race of the year on Saturday. I was in Milwaukee. I thought maybe if I could do a stellar race, PR, I might have an outside shot at top 25.
Well, no. That field was DEEP.

But anyway. Here's how it went down.
Swim - wow, what a battle. I got pummeled. Then I was in no man's land as I felt the pack leave me. Got out OK. Was happy I used the sleeveless wetsuit. It was perfect. Not a bad swim for only swimming maybe 1x per week due to my work/residency stuff.
T1 - I think that is the quickest I've ever gotten out of my wetsuit! I was thrilled.
Bike - didn't feel good. Felt SLOW. I only passed a few ladies and got passed by a few. Got passed by plenty of guys from the wave behind. Not a fast bike for me. I got blown a bit with the cross-winds. I kept wondering where the turn around was. I had a much faster bike split on a hillier course in June than I did this past Saturday. Erg. That kind of bums me out. But, that June course was more suited to me, lots of little rollers rather than a long gradual uphill (crossing the freeway bridge 2x). Pavement was not horrible, but not super either. Better than I thought it would be.
T2 - good as usual.
Run - awesome. Clouds rolled in while I ran. The run is flat. I think I passed Sister Madonna out there, I said some encouraging words. Only one bad bit - I had to stop to re-tie my shoe! Never mind I've been racing and training in these shoes/laces ALL SUMMER. Bah! Oh well. I was able to really increase my pace near the end and ended up with a 10k PR. I was passing people! Guys even! This was awesome! Wound up with a 47:05. Would have been under 47 for sure if not for the darn shoe!
SPRINTED at the end, I think against a lady who was in my age group. I'm afraid she didn't stand a chance. We chatted a bit after, nicely, and I admitted I grew up running the 100m and 200m in high school track - she laughed and joked "not fair'.
I'll have to double check the results but it looks like I missed the auto-re-qual by 5 spots. Rats.
Finisher medal put on by Chrissie Wellington. Sweet!

Surprised by Milwaukee. I thought it was very nice.

This week? Enjoy and be fit and happy. Look forward to being only 3 weeks away from finishing my residency on Aug. 29!!!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 12 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, congrats on the 10k pr! I know what it feels like to be counting down days for 'school' stuff, too... :D you are getting close.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks! I'm actually really thrilled with my tri results this year, especially with the fact that my training hasn't been very focused except for "run x miles per week" and get on the bike 4x per week, with one of those a long-ish 40-50 miler on the weekend.
And a once a week at best Master's swim.

I'm already looking forward to Cyclocross this fall!

I'd love to start thinking about finding a coach, but I'd definitely need one that is familiar with tris AND 'cross... and I'd prefer someone with a certain number of years experience, since I've been doing tris since 1998, and 'cross for 7 years now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't mind online, look into Personal Best Multisport cocaching... trukweaz (that's his ST handle) races tris and cross. Great coach and a nice guy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC--good work on not stressing.
Agilecipher--You know, you could get a really sweet bike and some awesome race wheels for a slice of what I bet that wedding is costing you. ;-)
Determination--two words: "cord locks." Best thing ever for running shoes. You can get them by the bucket for pennies at sewing stores.
MistressK--glad the injuries are healing.

Got the OK from my doc to go to five days training, but it's still all at slow and easy pace, and a run/walk plan. Eleven weeks out from my iron distance race, and I'm modestly hopeful I might make it to the start line (with goals of 16:59 or bust and to finish with a smile on my face). The acupuncture has really helped with pain management, which makes many things possible.

Goals for this week are four runs, two swims and four bikes; strength work five times.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not much got done this week. Did go for a ride on Sunday. Monday-Friday was spent working 14+ hour days at Junior Nationals in Irvine. Saw some awesome swims, a lot of meet records were broken, including one owned by Missy Franklin. Met a lot of great people and had a lot of fun, but not a lot of time to train. Spent Saturday trying to recover.
This weeks goals- get back on the training schedule.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband's family was in then visiting, so it turned into a down week for me. It consisted of 4 runs, 2 swims, and one 30 mile bike ride. Now I'm antsy to get back to a normal training week! For more details, check out this post:

http://racingrobsons.com/...o-many-fun-visitors/

Beth @ http://www.racingrobsons.com/beth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week
Can't remember goals, but my daughter got married on Sunday, so not a great week of training.
Swim - I got three in, which is really good for me, but the third was cut short by the aqua aerobic class :(
Bike - only one, but that's ok
Run - only 5. total mileage 52 for week. long run of 15. Wanted longer but sore medial quads had other ideas

This week's goals
Swim x 3, hopefully between 7-10 K
BIke 2-3 times
Run 6 times, hopefully close to 60 miles this week. Long run is already scheduled and only 15 miles cause it's an annual run I do w/ friends. After this I need to increase them to 20 milers between now and marathon.

Happy training all.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 12 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
my daughter got married on Sunday

That's awesome!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 12 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! It was beautiful, but a LOT of work. I'm going to make my other daughter and my son elope. Haha.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 12 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah! Love this. Hilariously enough, Kyle recently bought me a new bike - Gandalf, my Specialized Ruby. He also surprised me by putting a wheel with power on him!

But yeah, he cost what I just spent on ... flowers. *sigh*

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
Run x 4 - got three
Swim x 5 - got four
Bike x 5 - success!

Work caused me to miss a workout last week, the first I had missed in a month. But honestly, my first week of running was a little rough, mainly on the healing calf. I don't think the rest was a bad thing, although I felt guilty. Fortunately, the runs are really short as hopefully I can get acclimated to it again and start to enjoy it. I've gone through my entire running shoe wardrobe figuring out what is best for me right now.

This week:

Swim x 4
Bike x 5
Run x 5

Just mailed a ton of checks for my wedding. I completely agree on the flower vendor thing.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 12 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap, you spent that on flowers?!!!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 12 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$1k on flowers, $1400 on bike. The wedding industry is a fucking racket. That said, the 1k includes 10 gorgeous huge centerpieces, 6 bouquets, 6 boutioneers, decor for the gazebo, flower petals down the sides of the aisle, and roses for a memory vase for my fiance's late mother.

I'll have the bike for 5+ years, easily. The flowers will be dead the next day.

THAT SAID, they will look lovely and the wedding will be gorgeous and I will post the picture album after. 1 Month to go! Then I can get back into "normalcy" - training and helping Kyle with the last couple months before his first full Ironman!! (who needs a honeymoon when you can go to IMAZ!?)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang.
We didn't have the florist do centerpieces... We got roses from Costco and my mom got a bunch of vases from the thrift store that she then sprayed with some sort of "glass fog" looking spray.
Ended up looking stellar.

For the ceremony we used dried flowers made ahead of time (again by my mom) for the pews and I think the only flowers we got from a florist were my bouquet, all the 'people flowers' (bouquets and lapels) and one small arrangement for the up front table at church.
But I think it was still pretty pricey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn - glad we went with fake flowers! I made my flower headpiece and the bouquet - my Mum did the horseshoe, the arch and the broom. I think we spent about $150 total on silk flowers and ivy, plus there was one basket of real flowers on the table under the arch; I still have the headpiece and horseshoe, and the besom hangs in our kitchen to this day. Then again, I'm a cheapskate - I made my own dress, too.

How quickly a decade passes (as of last Friday)! I'm happy I still have the headpiece, as we didn't have a professional photographer for the wedding - I'd like to throw on our outfits and do a few wedding-photo-style couples shots with a pro at some point. I can always get some more black & red silk roses and ivy to make another bouquet for it, or just go without. Thought about doing it for our 10th, but there hasn't been time this summer.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Quote:
The flowers will be dead the next day.

Oh, put someone in charge of drying at least some of them - or pressing some of the petals.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
The flowers will be dead the next day.

Oh, put someone in charge of drying at least some of them - or pressing some of the petals.

Argh, yes I forgot we did have one more fresh flower - my Mum got in some proper Scottish heather sprigs for the wedding and we did dry a couple. I still have one of them as well.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Oh definitely. I get to keep my formal bouquet, so I will dry the flowers (I actually have a vase with one of each of the flowers from every bouquet Kyle has given me over the past 2.5 years) - and will have a separate bouquet to toss. In the same odd vein, I will have 3 garters: a borrowed one from my future-sister-in-law, my fancy one, and a simpler version of mine to toss.

On a different note, Kyle and I were pleased to learn that abandoned flip flops and towels from Vineman are donated - the shoes to shelters for people and the towels to shelters for pets! I purchased a massive box of cheap white slippers for the wedding (for when feet give out from dancing) and figure I can use the leftovers as disposable pre-race toe protection!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 12 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh how cool, and congratulations on the 10 years!! Very little of our wedding will be personalized, which is fine with me. Classic and simple. Besides, I can't sew my way out of a box! I love your headpiece - my mom wore a very similar one of yelllow daisies - I am having yellow daisies tucked in her bouquet.

Quote Reply

Prev Next