Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Aug. 3 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Aug. 3 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week: must finish 2nd school project
done!. Keep runs short I'd give myself a B on this. I am doing better varying the run distance than I was during the school year (racing this weekend). Swim and bike lots swam lots, didn't ride lots .

M: 3.3 mi run + 4000 yd swim
T: 3 mi run + 45 min teaching spin class + 6 mi run
W: 5 mi run + 2525 yd swim
T: 11 mi run
F: 3.5 mi run + 4525 yd swim
S: won a local 5k in 21:17
S: 11 mi run

totals 11,050 yd swim + 45 min bike + 48.3 mi run

Friday was the last day of camp :( now I am back to the schoolwork grind, and I have so much of it to do. Ugh. Main goal this week is to make a dent in that. Second goal is to take at least a day off from running. I rode this AM so today will be one day off from running.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decent taper week #1. This week is race week, so even less. I seem to be at 'fighting weight' also, LOL. Wasn't trying TOO Hard to drop weight but the three weeks I spent training my butt off often left me unable to eat back the calories I spent according to fitness pal, but I never went hungry. Even over indulged a couple of times.

Last week for us was HOT HOT HOT and HUMID! I did pretty much all my workouts in the heat. Yesterday's shorter long run was also in the heat, I started around 1pm. I didn't feel it. We had a bit of a wind so that helped. But this whole week I haven't really felt "hot". I count this a good thing in case it's hot on race day.
This week we have a cool off.

So for this week, just enjoy some of the extra time on my hands and get ready to either rock it or have an epic melt down. It might be neato seeing what happens first, the finish line or disintegration.

TC - your "take a day off from running" kind of cracks me up, but I understand. I used to not take a day off... but I found I got pretty burnt out. Now I do. I have found I need it mentally perhaps more than physically. In hard weeks I look forward to it.
Congrats on the 5k!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Aug. 3 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maine was really hot and humid last week too, but our "hot and humid" would probably seem mild to you. Have a good taper week!

Sometimes the day off from running is needed physically, sometimes it's mentally, sometimes it's both. I try to do it every week but don't always succeed... I think last week I had a day where I ran 1.4 miles, that seemed close enough :P

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started with a new trainer last week and she is kicking my ass! I have a package that I need to use up so I'm seeing her 2/week for the next 3 weeks.

There is an outdoor pool that is a 5 minute walk from my new apartment so I've been getting in about 1000 - 1500 yards 2x/week. It has been wickedly hot this summer and the pool has felt great.

My PF is still bothering me but getting a bit better. I finally saw a podiatrist and he ordered orthotics for me which come in this week. I have a hard splint to sleep in and my recovery seems to be quicker. I still ice with a frozen water bottle or paper cup. Stretching, etc. The recovery from a long walking day is speeding up a bit which is a good sign.

My knee isn't bothering me at all which is surprising. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Even adding walking to my routine will help.

I keep packing on the pounds and it is so depressing but I need to break that cycle and I'm the only one who can do it.

Workout goals this week:

Swim 1000yards + Mon and Wed
Trainer Tuesday and Saturday

Thursday is the last day of my ceramics class so no workout. Friday is the podiatrist so I might not get anything in. Will have to play it by ear. Sunday is shelter day and I never workout then, too tired :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: Aug 3, 15 11:56
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Aug. 3 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I need to break that cycle and I'm the only one who can do it.

And you CAN do it.

Fingers crossed that your knee keeps not hurting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to swim camp, and it was awesome! 4 days with Gary Hall Sr., including one day coached by Andy Potts!

I am old enough to remember Gary carrying the Olympic flag, and as a UM grad I watched Andy swim in college and the Olympic trials, so there was definitely a fan element to this for me when I signed up, but the camp itself was all about making MY swimming better. It is really like magic to be swimming along and hear Andy's voice come through your headset telling you to breathe on the other side for him, or saying, "Hey, really nice, Gee!" Not to mention sitting on the wall six inches away from him as he demonstrates drills. Gary's advice was sometimes contradictory to my tri coach's (e.g., kick more) or my masters coach (flip turn position), but I thought it was all spot-on for what I need to do to get faster. Now I need run camp, haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals and results?
- get some sense of order restored at work holy cow - FAILish I managed to wrestle down some issues and correct some "interesting" (read: poor) behaviour/decision-making, but my boss (C-level) was let go last Wed. Big change. I am cautiously optimistic, but still looking elsewhere.
- run 4x DONE with doggy who is like a puppy these days - it's so nice to see her smiling and wanting to run again ;-)
- dryland 1x DONE and jeebus this just kicks my ass every time - I need food and nap after each session and am kinda useless the next day.
- ride 5x DONE and scored 3 more QOMs on Strava haha
- more work on the house DONE lots of pain scraping and scrubbing the sides of the house to get ready for painting them

This week:
- run 4x
- dryland 1x
- ride 4x (today was a holiday and we all went to the beach and loafed)
- house stuff (kill wasp nest/paint threshhold/paint backside of house/remove stained glass from and sand old window frame)
- start working on my final video for my master black belt (almost done!!!)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply