Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? April 4 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?
Did you get April Fooled?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 4 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
swim x 3: Fail. 2 only (no time on Sat & the pool was closed due to weather on Sun)
bike x 2: eeh, does a short lunch ride & post-work ride count as 2?
run x 5: win
core/strength x 4: win

Winter came back. It was not invited. We are not amused.

This week's goals:
swim x 3
bike x 1
run x 5
core/strength x 4

I might xc ski instead of running tonight - we got another 5" on top of what you see there. It started snowing Saturday afternoon and finally stopped around 7am this morning.

Definitely feeling like I got April Fooled into putting away most of my winter gear a couple of weeks ago..

Quote | Reply
Not really - kinda disappointed ;-)

last week's plans:

- Run 4x - start to extend the Sunday run by 10-20min. DONE, long run was only 1h20 but I can feel it, ugh, I have 25 weeks to go...
- Ride 2x - again, taking it easy, but the weather is going to be spectacular all week so I have no excuse, can even take the pretty bike out :-) - DONE and hand is coping, it's not great I won't lie but it was nice to ride in short bibs and short sleeves...
- Coaching 2x DONE
- Doing the MED exam this weekend UGH fail, totally forgot. Gotta do it this week.
- Clean up the diet a bit - less junk food, more veg. DONE
- Anything else I want that is OUTSIDE! DONE - lots of walks, lots of gardening, some painting, etc.

This week:
- Run 4x - long run still at 1h20 for now
- Ride 2x - again, good weather means being opportunistic...
- Coach 2x
- Do the MED exam (hard deadline)
- Re-run our household budget #s - we are refinancing our mortgage so there's some fees and nonsense - this will give us a HELOC with lots of LOC in case we find the right piece of land.... still looking...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 4 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So we had 70* and sun for most of the weekend and I had a bunch of work to do, and was wishing the rain would come back because I am more motivated to be inside working when it's not super nice out :P

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 4 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am back at school now. Goal for this week = 15 hours of dissertation work. I am at a conference Fri/Sat (hosted on campus!) and Sunday is my birthday!

OMG I just saw the pictures of the Easter cakes on the other thread. So cool! I will have to remember that.

I got 12 hours of dissertation work, plus time spent at the conference so I'll give myself a B+. I really had planned 15 hours of work, plus the conference... I did get a bunch of other work done last week.

Spent b day doing work, for the most part. Boo. But it had to be done.

My car died last week (part is on order) and I have the BEST friends. One let me borrow her truck a couple of times, and one brought me one of her bikes (she is a professional cyclist and has lots) while mine was at the shop. The loaner bike is a commuter bike and I like it; I got my bike back yesterday but being upright on the commuter bike feels better than the sort of bent-over-ness of the road bike. The fractures in my sacrum are definitely healing but the road bike position didn't feel good after my little 3 mi commute this morning, so I'll keep riding the commuter.

I swam 6x last week = 13,100 yds. :-) and two days of bike commuting = 12 mi of cycling.

Lastly, Panera Bread has a promotion this month that with a rewards card you can get a free bagel every day, and I'm up to 2 free bagels so far. The idea of course is most people go in and buy a coffee or whatever to go with their free bagel, but I am a student ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oops, goal this week = 15 hrs dissertation work including finishing a conference proceedings paper. Also swim 5x.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a good week. The weather was crazy nice on Friday, so I phoned it in at work (literally). Went dog walking with a friend & a bike ride in the afternoon. Riding in shorts/jersey was amazing.

Just a little riding on Saturday - library with the boy/Chariot.

Dressing was traumatic (weight gain for any reason sucks), but I'm loving the nicer weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Belated happy birthday!

I did get April fooled; the daily Calvin & Hobbes I follow put up a Garfield comic instead. I was super confused!

Physio is going well; I feel like I'm getting closer to normal ROM. Back with her tomorrow to hopefully be allowed to start running again.

The last week I did 4 trainer rides, swam x 3 (this was painful the first two times) and tried out water-running The lifeguards had a good giggle at that.

This week: 4 trainer rides (1 done already; inspiration from here: http://www.bbc.com/...ne-35663890/35663890 ) 3 swims, running if allowed.

The kitchen reno continues. Slowly. If we'd been leaving for India it would have been okay but I need to get through another 11 days until we go to Penticton. Hoping to have most of a kitchen back after that trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a bad week.
I finished up my insurance covered PT.
I swam 2x
I ran outside 2x, 2x at PT
Did my longest run since the injury - 5mi!

Biked 3 or 4x? I cannot recall. One ride was so horribly slow on Sunday I hated that it was on Strava.
One thing I failed - strength training.
But, I did my PT exercises daily !

This week - keep up with the PT exercises. Daily.
Swim 2x
Run 4x (working on increasing frequency and one with a bit more distance)
Bike 4x
Try to strength train 2x

Lastly, it seems the real issue why my hamstrings were being so stressed was due to too much anterior pelvic tilt. If I run concentrating on my pelvic posture, boom, no pain.

In 2006 I had x-rays done and recall a diagnosis of spondylolythesis. I was asymptomatic. Those x-rays no longer exist (I checked - they were not done by my dr). I emailed my PCP to ask for another set - perhaps the "spondy" has worsened.

I have low back pain with sitting currently. None standing or running, and I can not sleep on my stomach right now. Only on my side (I was and am never a back sleeper).

If you didn't know, "spondy" is when one vertebra moves forward in relation to the one below it, and can pinch nerves (and in severe cases, the spinal cord).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 4 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are currently debating reno vs move. The thought of a) having strangers in my house and b) no kitchen for an extended time have me leaning towards the move option...
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 4 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm very lucky because the main contractor for the reno is a friend/husband of a colleague so I am very comfortable leaving him with our keys and giving him free reign. He is also very good at supervising all the other trades who have been trooping through the house. b) is more an issue and I can't imagine it with kids. However, if you had a BBQ and could live off that for a few weeks in the summer I think it would be doable. A friend who has a nearly 5 yo and a 2.25 yo is waiting to see how my kitchen turns out before making a decision. Hah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a bad week. I ran once, swam twice and rode the trainer three times. I did a 1000-meter time trial Monday and am pretty sure it's the fastest I've ever swum it. Woo hoo! I'm still very slow, but a bit less so.

I had family in town Saturday so that became a rest day. My cousin is starting college down the street from me and I took her, her parents and my other cousins around to a few restaurants, shops, the market, etc. I hope my uncle feels better about sending her into the wild.

I did the broccoli-in-the-donut-box gag on Friday. It ended up being a lot funnier than I expected. I only had a clear-topped box so I had to go to the extra trouble of finding and printing out a color picture of donuts. =) I got the Big Big Boss's wife (she laughed), a pregnant lady (I actually did feel a smidgen badly about that) and another VIP in my office that was legitimately mad for a few seconds. My boss was crying laughing at one point.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy square root day, TC!

I had a good week, despite bronchitis. Race-wise, I was a volunteer at Oceanside 70.3, helping swimmers stand up and run up the boat ramp. That was surprisingly difficult and a lot of fun. It was also nice to have my favorite pro hand off his morning clothes to me and say, "Great to see you again, Gee." I am typically a background kind of girl, so it is nice to be recognized!

Training-wise, I am enjoying my new coaching/plan, although frankly I have no idea how anyone can actually pedal a bike at only 55% of race pace/effort/watts. I am swimming faster than I have in years, and although I still can't pace a run properly, I am optimistic that I am getting closer.

Life-wise, I am also undertaking a kitchen renovation, and I went to hear the linguist David Peterson talk at the public library last week -- he is the guy who invented Dothraki and Valyrian for Game of Thrones. That was very cool and reminded me that I still like smart people and academic things even though it's been years since I left the tenure track.

Looking forward to seeing some Womens out at Xantusia next week!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 4 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice joke!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 4 Edition [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is super cool. My secret passion is language evolution and etymology. Sadly neither grad school nor teaching were in the cards for me, but I do work in digital media so it's kind of related??? =)

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm new! I have been lurking quietly but I am new member and new to triathlon.

Here's what I did last week:
4 swims (3 pool, 1 open water -- this is weakest link so area of focus)
4 strength sessions
2 runs (hill repeats, one long run)
2 bike sessions (trainer rides)
1 rest day

Here's what I have planned this week:
3 swims (1 pool, 2 open water) -- 1 down
3 strength sessions -- 1 down
2 trainer rides -- 1 down
1 run (track)
1 brick (bike/run)
1 rest day -- 1 down

I've done three sprints, am racing my first Olympic this month, and a Half IronMan in June. I did not get April Fooled :)

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 4 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome!

Quote Reply