Login required to post replies

How was your week? April 29 Edition
Quote | Reply
AP is spending the whole day running
QRgirl signed up for some races
misstressk did a half this weekend I think
How are you all?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 29 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goal was 4 of each sport (only 3 swims and 1 of the cycling was super short 3 mi commute to school, but I'm counting it, and ran 4x). Goal for eating was no issues... had 1 bad day.

M - bike 2:45 + 2000 yd swim
T - 13.1 mi run + bike commute
W - 8 mi run + 3500 yd swim
T - 8 mi run + 5600 yd swim
F - off
S - 10k race w/ 3 mi w/u. 45:34, 2nd place female, and think (hope) the course was long. 0:50 on the trainer later
S - 3:15 bike

goals for this week: long swim, 4-5 swims total, 3-4 bikes, 4 runs

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ran a decent amount MWF & Sun 4x
Swam 1x early am - this is HUGE for me, as I hate early mornings... so not a morning person but I couldn't do evening masters as we had a social obligation
Biked 3x, including a long weekend ride in the perfect weather as a celebration for my husband's birthday. Good group, good food afterwards and a home made totally from scratch cake.
Hung photos we got for Christmas - had purchased frames and ordered mats. Got them put together and hung on Friday. Series of 4 photos - they look totally fabulous from a place we vacation.

This week's goal is to keep motivation UP for doing both bike & run MTW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals for last week were 5 runs (including my Vo2 max test). Goals were met with just under 30 miles for the week.

On Wednesday of last week my coach and I outlined my training schedule for TransRockies and my fall 50M. It is a very aggressive plan that will hopefully help me reach my very lofty goals at the 50M. I am both scared and excited at the same time.

Goals for this week are 5 runs, 2 yoga/stretch, and a minimum of 3 OT sessions per day for my hand. Secondary goal is to run easy when workout says easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My week was awesome....because I got a new bike!!!!
I still managed to get in a few swim and run workouts but this past weekend was all about the new bike (it's a road bike). I did the group ride Saturday then took it up my favorite climb on Sunday (got a huge PR).
I love the bike so much, I'm kind of regretting signing up for Triathlon this spring!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never joined the "how was your week" thread, but this week I wanted to follow up on my post-womens camp bike woes (and whine a bit). My bike has just not felt "right" for a few months, and at camp I decided to take advantage of riding with more womens instead of alone and just let it go fast, figuring if I crashed the others would pick me up off the ground and then call Monty to come get us. I was leading down a long hill and by ~35mph or so I couldn't hold the wheel anywhere near steady and had to sit up and brake before I was all over the road. Now, if you're going to have a death wobble in your front wheel, there are few better places to be than Xantusia, and so both Dan and Monty tinkered with it and then suggested I take it to my LBS because the headset was loose at the fork and couldn't be tightened normally. Maybe a crack, maybe loose bearings, and b/c it's an integrated headset maybe I'd need a new frame altogether.

Now, I love my bike more than almost anything in the world, and I was tempted to panic because they're not making this frame any more. I am super hard to fit because I am only about 5 feet tall and like to ride steep, and because I am a good ST womens I know that Dan always recommends this bike for short girls because it has such a low stack. But then Dan said, this bike is too long for you anyway; I don't know how often you get a new bike, but you might want to consider something with a shorter reach. Okay, so then I did pretty much panic, because shorter reaches are also typically "tall" bikes, and nobody makes bikes that are both "narrow" and "low." But who am I to argue with Slowman about bike fit? ;)

So I took it to my LBS, who are great, and they took pix and said to call the company b/c it looks like a manufacturing problem with the bearing cup insert (huh?). The company responded immediately (Cam at Kestrel rocks) and said to have the bike shop fill out a warranty form and send pictures. Of course, I have no idea how helpful a warranty claim is if they no longer make that frame. But, we did that.

So then I sent the photos and told this same whiny story to my fitter, who asked a) Did he see you actually get ON that bike (no) and b) Did he point to the armpad position when he said it's too long (yes), and then my guy just laughed and said not to worry about it ... I guess my fitter is okay with arguing with Slowman about bike fit ... but I am still waiting to hear whether this bike can be fixed and if not, what exactly warranty can cover, and of course still distraught about having no TT bike right now (so much for that 20k TT on Sunday) and maybe having to go custom with a new $$ frame sooner rather than later. Ugh.

Okay, done whining now. Thank you womens for listening, and those of you for riding with me down that big hill!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got off my butt and actually ran a couple of times. Did my longest run since my shoulder surgery (a whopping 4.2 miles). And got on the bike not on the trainer for a spin around the neighborhood.
Did all my PT except yesterday.

Gained a lb. back. :(

This week will be interesting, since I have travel. But will at least keep up the PT and not eat like a glutton.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 29 Edition [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gee,
I'm in a similar boat. have you had any luck finding a "short and low" bike?

All the womens seem to be making progress on goals, and sounds like some epic training and racing coming up.

Since getting really sick a couple of weeks ago I have not yet regained my stamina. The easiest of workouts feels hard, and doubles are pretty much out of the question. I've scaled back my expectations for my A race in June from training to be competitive to training enough to enjoy the race (instead of struggling to survive it).

On tap this week is as much swimming as I can get in (inc. a 3 mile river ow race), 6 short easy runs, and 4 bikes. (And PTx2, strength and stretch every day, and a partridge in a pear tree.)

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 29 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
June is a long way off...stay positive & keep plugging away steadily. You'll bounce back. Just make your sessions all about the quality of training & not so much about the volume. Tired at this point in the game is good - even if you're still recovering - it'll pay off with the taper. Just walk the careful line of pushing but not pushing too hard, which it sounds like you're doing, & you'll be surprised what you can do come race day. You'll be fine....you got this. Don't scale back expectations, find a new way to get to the goal...rest like a motha on that taper & you'll rock.

I've had a real couple of "character-building" weeks myself. "Raced" a tri down in AL/FL the 20th - SEVENTEEN minutes slower than last year and broke my bike but had a stinking blast. The swim was probably almost twice as long as it should've been, the bike had a ROARING offshore headwind for the entire return 8.5mi of the out/back bike course (which made the out portion a BLAST, even with the broken chainsaw-sounding bottom-bracket). The 4mi run was just the same as always...with that same rippin' headwind for the final 2mi. Because it was about 20* colder than normal & below 45* at the start the entire day was just interesting. Soccer socks morphed into arm warmers the night before. Won my age group, felt pretty great at the finish. Last year my hip was full of cortisone, this year I'm just a bit healthier - overall fitness is higher due to the swimming.

Work conference in Chicago all week, four 12-hour days & a whole boatload of stress. Survived. One cardio workout in there that really was just for entertainment purposes.

Ran the Country Music Half Marathon last Saturday in a DOWNPOUR for the entire time. Something like 2+" of rain fell while running. And it was pretty chilly. Registered for the full, only had a half in me with the lack of run training. Decided to run the half at a reasonable effort - not disappointed on the day of 2:16. The good news? Was only 5:00 off of a PR on a hilly course without hardly ANY run training. Felt pretty decent, especially considering the weather.

Week & a half until Masters nationals in Indy - will be hitting the swim hard this week before dropping into a pseudo-taper. Then a couple weeks of doing nothing but whatever I want for sport.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The half is actually on Sunday - I'm firmly in taper crazy mode now!

Last week's goals:

Run x 6 - reduce mileage a bit: FAIL with 4 only, but it helped heal my sore knee.
Bike x 3: FAIL with 1. Don't really care.
Swim x 4: FAIL with 3. Don't really care.
Core/strength x 4: WIN
Keep nutrition in check: Eeh, I did ok considering the excesses I could have gone to with no less than 3 birthday meals for the husband.

I took Saturday off completely to spend my sweetie's 40th with him - we had a ton of errands to run, then built his new charcoal grill (gift from my Mum), got out for a scoot on our motorcycles and had a bonfire with friends Saturday evening. Two full days off (Fridays are always a non-training day, and we were out for dinner with my Mum until late anyway) really let my knee rest and it felt fine after a 12k progression run on Sunday. Still doing fine today after an easy 5 last night, so that's really encouraging!

This week's goals:
Run x 5 incl. half marathon Sunday
Bike x 0
Swim x 2
Core/strength x 4 - bodyweight only, foam roll left calf daily
Keep nutrition in check
Get some sleep

I'm starting to get nervy about the half now. I have a stretch goal that I think I might just try to hit, at the risk of blowing myself up. I'm probably the most prepared I've ever been for a road race; just have to hope I can execute on race day.

That said, I'll still be slow as shit by ST standards, so I don't have much to lose!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
oooh what's the swim race?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nanticoke River Swim. Alot of folks, including myself, use it as prep for the Ches Bay 4.4

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. Have a blast!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Gee,
I'm in a similar boat. have you had any luck finding a "short and low" bike?

I am waiting till I hear about whether I can fix my current bike, and on the size thing I am hoping it's like the time I went to Victoria's Secret and this crazy "expert fitter" tried for about 10 minutes to convince me I was part of the "80% of American women who wear the wrong bra size." Finally I gave in and took 3 of "her" size into the dressing room, and after putting on the first one I stepped out and she conceded, "Okay, you are right, you are NOT a 34B." I suspect, should I need a new bike, I'll trek back over to Xantusia and get on Slowman's fit machine to see if anything is even possible.

That said, the new Cervelo P3 in size 45 is as close to "short and low" as I've ever seen. It is just as low as, say, the QR (~450 mm stack), but has a shorter reach (375 vs 393). Dan also recommended the Felt (like Rinny), which is lower (433 stack) but longer than the Cervelo (387 reach).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G, hope the bike situation gets resolved. :-(

Yes I ran 65k on Sunday, totaled 90k for the week. Did a bunch of shorter runs earlier in the week including an interval session, a plyo session, and a hill repeat session. Basically, felt fantastic for each run!

This week:
Mon thru Wed: Nothing but walking. DONE :-)
Thurs: 6k EZ in am; 6k EZ at lunch
Fri: 6-8k EZ with strides
Sat: 5k EZ
Sun: BMO 1/2 Marathon - this will be ODD - and I bet SLOW. I predict at least +5min off my PB time, due to the volume of slow stuff I do now. But who knows, I might surprise myself :-) They did seed me in the 1st corral based on my time from last year hahahaha. Oh that's funnay.

Later chicas!

Ap

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 29 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet you will be really surprised at how fast you go. At least that has been my experience when I do a lot of the long slow stuff.
Good luck with the half!

Last edited by: Tri3: May 2, 13 17:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'm tempted to not wear a watch and just see what happens...

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 29 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are usually my favorites. The low-key, going only on feel & enjoying the day type....they remind me why we do this stuff.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zero, zilch, nil.

After the bike crash last week, I was mentally and physically shaken. I was nursing some nasty bruises and a very sore right arm/shoulder. Mostly, I felt like an idiot.

I'm also between clients for work, so being extra lazy... bad combo. Makes me whiny and unmotivated (for some reason when I have more to do, I do even more). Plus, now I don't have the spin class I loved or my trainer. :(

/sigh The most I did all week was two laps of a ginormious outlet mall (one lap took just under an hour, so quite a bit of walking), 30 min of strength training, then quite a bit of walking, standing, and cheering at Wildflower. My coach (badass that he is) came in 1st in his AG and my fiance had an awful experience in the 100 degree heat. Returning to my old college area and seeing all the Cal Poly volunteers (something I did two years while in school) made me feel OLD. They were CHILDREN! yeesh...

Goals for this week:
Follow my TrainingPeaks plan for at least 3 days of the week. Kyle and I are going to start a masters swim class together once I'm past the two week mark of my LASIK (which was the best decision EVER and will make my training so much easier). My next race is over a month away, so I'm really hoping to improve my swim and run.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 29 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed the news that you had crashed. So sorry. I hope this week goes better.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, slow speed, bonked a u-turn, hit a curb, and kinda exploded off the bike. Very minor injuries - the woelrst was a really icky big blood blister on my thumb, but mentally I broke. Kyle was with me and let me wimp out and go home to take a bath and clean the gravel out of my hands. The next day, my right shoulder/arm was super sore. I told kyle, "I think I slept funny- my neck/shoulder/arm is killing me". He laughed at me: "or, you know, you crashed your bike". Doh!

Definitely need to work on my bike handling skills. I have madcap plans to chew that u-turn to pieces this week.

Now that the huge bruises are healed, I think I am in a better mental state to try it again...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply