Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? April 15 edition
Quote | Reply
How was it?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Apr 15, 13 13:52
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? MARATHON MONDAY edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goals were 4 of each sport. Done for run and swim, only 3 rides but total time was good :-) I'm extremely pleased with this week. Eating was fine :D

M - 8.1 mi run
T - 8.3 mi run + 2800 yd swim
W - 4500 yd swim + 2:05 bike
Th - 8.5 mi run + 3500 yd swim
F - 2:50 bike
S - 13.1 mi run
S - 2:30 bike + 4500 yd swim

total: 15,300 yd swim, 7:25 bike, 38 mi run, 5.6 mi walking in w/u, c/d, and reading some articles for school. Also did hip/shoulder exercises on Saturday.

Goals this week - 4 of each sport and decide what races I want to do this spring/summer/fall.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- run x 5 w/reduced mileage on Saturday: WIN, but didn't mean to reduce that much on Sat!
- bike x 3: FAIL.
- swim x 3: FAIL. Power failures from Thursday's ice storm shut down the pool.
- core/strength x 4 w/no heavy lifting, focus on mobility: WIN, but with a FAIL.

Last week was just a riot of issues: I managed to hurt my lower back in a yoga pose that's supposed to help with back pain (child's pose. Srsly.) and missed Thursday's swim due to the pool being closed, then ran out of time on Saturday and only got a measly 9km run out of the 12-14km I'd planned. Even that was marred by GI distress and having to squat on the side of the damn trail at 2.5k, then because I was late I ran the rest tempo. Got a whole 26min swim in, then had a bunch of stuff to do afterwards (grocery shopping, making dinner, packing up gear for race, doing last-minute work on husband's bike because he hadn't told me it was shifting poorly and making an awful racket) so didn't have time to do the easy ride with some spin-ups that I wanted. I was going into a tough 60km off-road bike race Sunday morning with unhappy legs from the run, not having been on my bike at all since Monday, with all of 74km of training rides for the month of April so far. Awesome.

The race actually went ok - I didn't have much for legs, but was able to pull my husband in to his first finish (his 2nd attempt - broke his RD hanger 2 years ago). Had a bit of a tip-over on the side with the still-not-100% wrist but no damage done. Finished together and we weren't even the last mixed team, so Tanker's happy - he's had a lot of DNFs and a DFL in the last couple of years but is pleased as punch and says he's never going to to that particular race again having seen what the end is like.

This week's goals:
Run x 6 - last week of build for May 5th half
Bike x 3
Swim x 4
Core/strength x 4
Nutrition improvement

With the spring classics out of the way it's 3 weeks to my first goal race of the season. Time to buckle down and get it done!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Please change the title :-( and I sure hope nad is OK.

Thx, AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Killer week was killer.

Monday: 45 min spin class, lots of foam roller
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: spin + 1.5 mile run
Thursday: 30 min strength + PT stuff
Friday: spin + 3 mile run
Saturday: 30 min swim
Sunday: 16 mile bike ride (the same route I'll be doing next Sat for race!!!) - not-awful time of 1:15

This week is rest and taper and try to not kill the new guy I'm training at work (he thinks it is just fine to not attend meetings and show up at 10:30am. He's also bossy and annoying and rude). Thankfully, I'm training him to replace me, so I won't have to work with him.

Then Saturday = race day. SO excited!

Next week I'm getting LASIK (SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!) so I won't be able to do much for a few days, and won't be allowed to swim for 2 weeks. WORTH IT.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? MARATHON MONDAY edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
done
I hope she is ok too. I have been in class all day and just caught up with the news. :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So scary. I can't even imagine. The main forum has a sticky about it so we can try to find our STers.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 15 edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in Boston today playing Sherpa today to my hubby. As we were leaving the area fire trucks and police cars were rushing in but we didn't know why until we got back to our hotel room. So far, all but one of our friends have checked in.

I was spectating in an area at one of the explosion sites. I was in DC on 9/11. I feel a little freaked out right now. :-(

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 15 edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3...so glad you are ok. Hugs.

I think I may have met nad before in ATX. if so, she does have a finish time from before the explosion, so hopefully is ok. Have heard that all the various Austin people are ok.

Tough time for me to decide to look at the weekly 'how was your week' thread...but looks like a concept that would be good for me.
I'm getting over shoulder surgery, so modest goals.
--PT daily as prescribed.
--run/walk 3 times
--bike/trainer 2 times
--core/flexibility 3 times
--weigh tomorrow and lose 1-2 lbs by next Monday.

thanks,
betsy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exercised 6/7 days (can't call it "training" yet).

That included riding outside 2x.

Had dinner with Mr. Kristi. :-)

Bought a house. Well, at least signed the contract on it.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 15 edition [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the house! That's a big deal.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? MARATHON MONDAY edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If nad is who I think it is, there was a short interview clip with her on the news last night. So she's safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trackie clm wrote:
Exercised 6/7 days (can't call it "training" yet).

That included riding outside 2x.

Had dinner with Mr. Kristi. :-)

Bought a house. Well, at least signed the contract on it.

HUGE congratulations on the house!

Re: the "training" - do you have a race you're working toward?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was a good one, just super busy. I completed my big weekend: 40k (hilly trails) on Saturday and 20k (less hilly trails) on Sunday, with a bunch of shorter runs in there. Total for the week was only 80k, but that's ok, the weekend was the key. The nice thing was that I actually didn't feel like sh*t during the 20! My legs felt pretty damn good. Guess this training thingy works eh? :-)

This week: ez for a day or two, then 8-12k runs W-F with some hills, some tempo, some strides; 20k on Sat; then a mini-fun run with my daughter on Sunday (2.5k! haha!). The following weekend will be another big one (50k + 20k *or* 60k + 10k), so this is like a recovery week.

I am still really upset about what happened Monday in Boston. I had a lot of emails and texts and calls asking if I were in Boston, most of my family & friends know I'm a 4-4:20 runner, and I think they freaked out about seeing that clock. If I had actually qualified last year, and toed the line on Monday, I would have been right there and P would have been near those stands at the finish. I used to think it was coincidence that Berlin selling out got me to sign up for Comrades, now I think it is coincidence that a really windy day at Bellingham kept me from being at Boston. Reading the twitter feeds made me sad and angry at the same time. I was very worried about the STers there, and I'm glad to read that pretty much everyone has checked in OK.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My week was meh. But considering I had no goals since I was days out of surgery, I guess that could be expected. I moped most of the week and then went to an orienteering meet with two ultrarunner friends (who are also injured). We cleared the course in a respectable amount of time and got in 4+ miles of hiking. On Sunday some of my local runners talked me out of the house and I walked to the track to watch them run. I got in another 3 miles of walking and about 1.75 miles of easy running (not dr compliant).

I got my stitches out today and am cleared to run (anywhere) and bike on the trainer. I can also do any strength work that doesn't involve lifting or weight bearing on my left lower arm/wrist. I will be in a splint until mid-may and likely not cleared to ride outside till the end of May (8 weeks post surgery). I have officially withdrawn from the TTT (and was able to transfer to 2014). I'll still be attending and volunteering at the event. I haven't made an official decision on IMMT 70.3 but I am leaning toward a withdrawal. By doing this, I can focus on my running so I can shoot for an amazing time at TransRockies and a sub-10 at the Glacial 50 miler in October. For the first time, I think I may be ok with that.

This weeks goals will be 3 runs (no time/distance goals) and to not get completely lost at my orienteering meet on Sunday (attempting a solo run or possibly with someone who has never used a compass).

Congrats to CLM on your house!! When can we photos?
And great work to the rest of you!! Andy - I can only hope that I can find half your dedication as I start my run training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
House!??! Wha? Where!?!! Seriously..I'm supposed to "race" this weekend & haven't been on my bike at all (the tiny little spin with a friend, <10mi, doesn't count). I'm trying really hard to blame anyone but myself...why haven't you made my poky butt ride?

Week was ok, lots of swimming, got un-sore from the half fairly quickly. Had the tooth extractions on Friday morning & have been crap since. Hurts. Still. My pain tolerance fluctuates - it's either off the charts huge for big pain (breaks/surgery/etc) or I'm a totally unapologetic whiner (soreness/papercuts/etc...things that don't really "hurt"). Not sure where this falls in the overall picture since I'm n+1...but it sucks. And it's freaky to have holes in my mouth.

I'm giving myself a "pass" on the workouts since I'm struggling to even take in 1100cal a day, nevermind the whole healing thing...I feel like I could workout fine without much issue....but don't want to compromise anything so I'll wait. Follow-up tomorrow so maybe I'll get the ok to swim - I'd like to be told I'm being overly cautious & to suck it up. Then a mini-vaca & "racing" this weekend (may get the kibosh put on that).

I'm heartbroken & very bothered by yesterday's events. I'm swaying between really sad & really angry. The touching stories & the heroes of the day make my heart swell. I'm so proud of those that were there to respond & those that have been brave as they were injured & scared. I know there will be justice - here or beyond - for the action, but it makes me hurt to think that people really do want to hurt other people.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 15 edition [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
really sad and really angry are my main emotions too, coupled with the fact that none of us will every comprehend the WHY behind such attacks.

I've always felt that the last 10k of a marathon is hallowed ground, and I think the fact that the attack was at a marathon makes it scarier to me than, say, the Twin Towers attacks (I did not know what the Twin Towers WERE until 9-11). Having a terrorist attack to something so many people from so many countries hold sacred feels violating and incomprehensible.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just got home from Boston. Per the usual, the cat is ticked at us, even though we keep telling her we were only gone for five minutes.

I can't help think about how fortunate I am to return to the same world I left, knowing that some aren't returning home and for many, they are returning to a world that has been changed forever.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 15 edition [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What race?

Thank you everyone. Still a little shocked about how this all is falling into place. Living 20 years in San Francisco, you never even thought about buying something.

The house is in Historic Buena Vista which is an area on the upswing of urban renewal near downtown. Maybe 7 minutes to get to work. About 4 blocks on the other side of a main road, the same house would sell for probably $100K more.

http://tinyurl.com/c3lwvln is the unit next door. It's two duplexes and mine will be the inside unit (L) of the right building. Each bike will get his own room! Plus, there is a 3rd story not shown in the photos which is just a big room to finish as you want. Might make a good workout or party room!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NICE!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very nice!! congrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been able to answer because I've been so upset about Monday. I still am. Everyone I know and know of who was there has checked in. I do have college friends who live in the area that I haven't heard from but I don't know if they were there. I'm going to a memorial run at a local tri shop tonight. I'm hoping that will help a little.

Last week was good. Had successful runs and hit my goals. Mileage: 39. I also got in a nice 1200y swim.

This week is a bit of a mess. Monday was a planned swim or rest day. I chose rest. Yesterday I had a last minute meeting with a VP late in the afternoon which completely messed with my schedule. I only had a small window between the end of the work day and taking my kitty to the vet for a check-up. I opted for a mani instead so I didn't run.

Today is the memorial run. I plan an hour or so, depending on what the crowd will do. Then I have to pack for camp.

Thursday has an hour on my schedule but since I'm flying to CA, getting a tour of FOX studios from Maui then lunch then the drive to Xantusia that might not happen.
Friday is something
Saturday is double run
Sunday a 2 hour trail run

But I'm going to play it by ear and hopefully end up on trails every day.

Looking forward to seeing the womens tomorrow.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just stepped on our fancy InBody device, which measures muscle mass in appendages as well as the trunk. My arms have lost a considerable amount of strength as a result of my lack of posting in your threads (because I'm not swimming enough).

I plan to fix that starting tomorrow when I start training with the Womens at Xantusia! You should join us some year when time permits!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply