Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Oct. 23 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 23 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goals were:
day off from running --- done
bike miles > run miles --- done! because 55.5 > 41
swim 5x --- done
work on run pacing (Easy is easy and fast is fast) --- doing better

We had "fall break" last week, which meant I had Friday "off." This means the students are gone, so no teaching. I had given an exam on Wednesday, and those take so long to grade (65 students). I did not get much of a break :P but overall it was a good week.

I did learn last night that my cousin's wife has inoperable, stage-4 lung cancer and there's not a great prognosis. I knew she had cancer, and she's been through chemo (now on monthly maintenance chemo). I thought she was in remission - I guess I assumed maintenance chemo meant remission. She, her wife, and their two small kids have been at my parents' house for the past week (they visit about 3 times a year; my parents loooove their sort-of-grandkids, the kids love them, and the moms like these visits too). I am devastated that this family member may not have much life left; they just don't know.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Oct 24, 17 7:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik. I am sorry to hear about your Aunt's wife and hope your family can find comfort in togetherness during a difficult time.

My goals last week were to run 3x, swim 3x, bike 3x, lift and yoga 1x (maybe).

I didn't do yoga and only swam and biked twice. I was more tired from my backpacking trip than I expected so I took an unplanned rest day. I had 3 really solid runs My run mileage last week was 32 miles, the highest it's been since the first term of the Bush Administration (back then a triple digit week was not unusual). I feel good and that's really encouraging for me.

This weekend, I am doing a two day bike/camp/bike trip -- we'll ride ~80 miles up over the Santa Monica mountains on Saturday, camp, and then ride back over the mountains back another ~80 miles on Sunday. I have been looking forward to this ride and hope I can hang.
My goals this week are run twice, swim twice, bike once before the weekend trek, lift twice and do yoga once. Also, my daily p/rehab which I often forget to write but usually do.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Women!

Sad to hear another cancer story. Just awful to have that happen. :-(

I was traveling last week and did almost nothing. I ran 2x on the hotel treadmill (60 minute torture sessions). The gym room was soooo short I was convinced that if I inclined more than 1% that I would hit my head on the ceiling. And then I did a 90 minute bike trainer session when I got home on Sunday. WOW am I stiff as concrete. Ugh. I did walk around a lot every day, probably 5-6 miles or more each day, so that was nice.

Oh well. Going to swing a 70.3 on Saturday and hope for the best. It has a time limit, but I should be okay, as long as it isn't 100 degrees (which is what it was today).

Back at it. Work is calling.....

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 23 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SoCal - I loved your hiking pictures. I don't have an instagram account but have added you to my bookmarks so that I can check in from time to time.
TC - sorry to hear about your Aunt's wife. Your family sounds wonderfully supportive and I'm sure that will be a comfort to them.
SLO - have fun at the 70.3!

My goals were: bike x 3, run x 2. I did bike 3 times but was struggling last week so only finished one of those workouts and even that was at reduced intensity. I did run twice (once at physio, once on my own) and squeezed in one upper-body/core session.

This week: bike x 3, run x 2, 1 upper-body/core session. Also, bonus yoga happened today. One of my fellow firefighters is a yoga instructor and has been doing a class for the department once a week this month. I couldn't make the first two because of schedule conflicts but I managed to make it today and had a really great time. It doesn't hurt that she is one of the loveliest, most encouraging people I know.

I also have food goals: don't eat cake/biscuits (my kryptonite), wine with dinner only one time this week.

Hope the rest of the women are doing well!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 23 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My run mileage last week was 32 miles, the highest it's been since the first term of the Bush Administration (back then a triple digit week was not unusual).

wow, I think I've only met one person in real life who has done triple digit run weeks. What were you training for?

Congrats on your good week :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik, thanks. I was a collegiate 10K runner. Two a days weren't uncommon (long in the morning, short/hard after class) but triple digit mileage was well past the point of diminishing marginal returns for me.

Have fun SLO! I have lots of friends racing and I really hope it cools down for y'all.

Thanks Scheherazade, that's a high compliment. I'm glad you've found such a great yoga class.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your family member.

I'm at 64 days straight of doing some sort of exercise. We have another body comp next week, so I'll be curious to see how that goes.
I was in NYC for work and fun from Thursday to Sunday, so I got out of my routine, but at least in NYC, you get loads of walking in.

Mon: Trainer Evan w/o
Tue: 32 min trainer
Wed: Evan w/o
Thur: 4 mile walk; band upper body
Fri: 5 mile walk + 15 min elliptical; band upper body
Sat: 6 mile walk; band upper body
Sun: some walk; swim class later when I got back to Nashville

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 23 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice consistency, CLM.

The fall is such a spectacular time to be in New York (LA is lovely but I get very homesick this time of year). Hope you enjoyed it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr TC, sorry to hear about your aunt. That is rough news.

CLM, that's quite a nice streak you've got going there.

Between bike crash recovery and wrapping up at work, no training on my part. I'm making progress in PT, though. Did go for a hilly, Fall bike ride with my hubby last weekend. That was fun.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply