Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? March 27 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 27 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Women! Happy day to everybody.

Good week last week. Sort of.

I make it to 90/100 in the 100/100 challenge. It was a push to get there those last couple of days. Sheesh! But, reached my goal (which was 90) and I came in just under mistressk (who totally out ran me in distance and time). And congrats to Tri3 for hitting 100! WOW!

In pushing for the 90/100, I totally abandoned the whole swimming and biking thing. And then did an OLY on Sunday. Oops. Guess I should have spent more time on the bike and in the pool. I finished just fine, but I was sure SLOW. Posted a 3:04:40 when I would have normally finished that race in around 2:45. Interestingly, I PR'd on the run for that course by over a minute. I am totally embarrassed to say that I actually dismounted my bike and WALKED up this steep little hill that I should have been able to stand up and power over. I was so worried about cooking my legs and getting a DNF that I chose finish over pride. My poor ego is more sore than my muscles. <sigh> Oh well. But, hey. Got first in my new age group (40-44) AND 5th overall women. Never mind that I was the only one in my age group and only 5 women raced (where the heck is everybody??).

So, last week:
Swim x0
Bike x0
Run x6
OLY x1

I'll call it successful.

Next up:
Swim x3
Bike x3 (probably only 2, realistically)
Run x2
13.1 Trail Race x1 (Montana de Oro PCTR)

Rock on ladies!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello ladies, I hope everyone had a good week.

Thanks to tigerchik for getting us started, I hope you had a great trip home.
SLOgoing, congratulations on your run PR -- take the win :D

I had a good week, hit all my goals, and had a successful race:

daily p/rehab, 3 strength sessions, 3 bikes, 1 yoga class, and 2 runs. I have a track workout and am doing a 10K road race this weekend. I have a 70.3 less than 3 weeks and I haven't done many bike/run bricks do I *might* bike before the 10K but I think mentally benefit more from a strong open run. We'll see.

I lifted 3 times, took 2 glorious yoga classes, rode my bike 3 times (2 trainer and a climbing session after Saturday's ocean swim), swam in the pool twice plus the aforementioned ocean swim, my track workout went well and Sunday's 10K was the second fastest female time and ninth overall. Hooray for small races and good causes.

This week it's more of the same: daily p/rehab, 3 strength sessions, 2 pool swims, 2 trainer rides, 1 track session ... over the weekend, I'll do that bike/run brick I've been avoiding as well as a swim/bike brick. Speaking of the weekend, I'll be a sherpa at Oceanside -- is anyone racing? Any suggestions on place to run/bike/swim? Or good places to eat?

I hope everyone has a great week!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 27 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing, congrats on the finish and the run PR! Good luck with your half this weekend.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 27 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sunday's 10K was the second fastest female time and ninth overall. Hooray for small races and good causes.

congrats!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, SLO. I had to do the same thing--abandon swim and bike--to do 100/100. So imagine my surprise when I took 2nd AG at a sprint this weekend (and just barely missed 1st). I had a good swim, fantastic bike, run not so much (relative to others--far better than I expected for me).

The race experience did do two important things for me: 1) I actually can come close to running off the bike, and 2) no way in hell am I ready for a Half in May. The clue was literally staggering across the finish line. Fortunately, my May Half has a lot of bail out options. Figuring out now which one I will use.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 27 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SoCalTricurious wrote:
Speaking of the weekend, I'll be a sherpa at Oceanside -- is anyone racing? Any suggestions on place to run/bike/swim? Or good places to eat?
I will be down there as support crew also, a bunch of my teammates are racing. We will have a tent down there. As far as eating or sbr-ing, not really sure, as the times I've been down there I've just done short trip, either racing or volunteering, so didn't really explore the town too much.
Plans for this week-- get over these insane allergies, swim 2x, run 2-3x, bike 1x.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us going TC. Are you home yet?

I am well. Cycling volume is down a bit from build - last week was about 6.5 hours again. I really struggled with my VO2max workouts so this week I'm finding TR workouts with shorter interval durations and I'm eating more the night before to see if that helps. The threshold workout and long ride went okay so I'm not too worried.

The goal for the week is two quality TR rides and the first outdoor club ride as well as a weights session. We're away towards the end of the week - a WineMaker's dinner in Lake Louise - so I will have a chance to dress up for dinner, enjoy some nice wine and eat some fondue (on the other night). The rest of the week I will try not to be a gluttonous pig!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 27 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
The race experience did do two important things for me: 1) I actually can come close to running off the bike, and 2) no way in hell am I ready for a Half in May. The clue was literally staggering across the finish line.
I'm not laughing AT you, but the mental image of someone staggering across the finish line is pretty funny. =) Two months is a decent chunk of time to get some long rides and long runs in, and remember you won't be "racing" racing a half like you do a sprint. Just sayin'.........

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 27 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go ahead and laugh. The finish line pic is pretty funny. I just sat down and dumped over my head the bottle of water they gave me (to drink). Then they got me a towel soaked in ice water. Ahhh....

The other important clue was that I struggled to complete a 6 mile 1 minute walk/4 minute jog the day after. Also, I was very anxious and miserable going into the sprint. I would rather feel confident going into a shorter distance or aqua bike than anxious going into the Half.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 27 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I arrived home last Tuesday afternoon, and have had a very busy time so far! We had cousins visiting over the weekend, which was a blast (a 2 yr old and a 5 yr old and their two moms - technically my second cousins, cousin, and cousin's wife, respectively, but it's easier just to call them cousins). I went to my alma mater on Thursday and yesterday to visit / attend research group meetings, and it was really good to see everyone there.

Quote:
Goals for this week = no more than 6 runs (I intend to take tomorrow off, as I'm flying overnight) check mark! ; improve my skills at riding on rollers nope did not get on rollers or bike at all; swim at least 4x (1 done). done

M: 8.5 mi run + 1800 yd swim
T: off
W: 6 mi run + 1500 yd swim
T: 8.5 mi run + 2800 yd swim
F: 7 mi run + 1100 yd swim
S: 1 mi w/u + 5k race 22:36
S: 6 mi run + 2000 yd swim

totals 9225 yd swim + 40.1 mi run

The 5k was a local race and I was first female overall, which I was really happy about. The course was two out-and-backs, which I really enjoyed (I like chasing people :-) this was the first race since October, and it felt good to RACE. It was sort of a themed race in that it was a fundraiser for the Challenger Learning Center, which is a NASA-sponsored educational center. They provide opportunities for school groups to come in and do a mock space mission. It's good for both STEM learning and teamwork. The race was called the "Space Station 5k" and the course had signs like "orbit achieved" and mile markers with the split one would need to meet the astronaut physical fitness requirements (a 7 minute pace... I must get fit enough to be an astronaut!). I think they raised a fair amount of money, which is awesome. My prizes included a little pewter astronaut trophy, a little astronaut guy that I can hook into my computer and make light up, and some astronaut (freeze-dried) ice cream.

Goals for this week less than or equal to 6 runs (2 done), 6 swims (2 done), work at riding on rollers and/or trainer

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a fun race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to all the ladies kicking ass!

Last week's goals:
run x 5: win with 6
bike x 1: win
swim x 1: win with 2
core/strength x 4: win
foam roll x 1: win

After the end of the 100 in 100 and doing some more damage to my left ankle on Wednesday (I kicked the bloody chair in my office while doing my pre-run warmup - so stupid!), I decided I'd take Saturday off as I had a big effort coming on Sunday. Apparently my idea of "taking it easy" is a 3.5hr hike through Hilton Falls Conservation Area, partly on the Bruce Trail side trails. It was very pretty, though, and I finally got to show my husband some of the places I ran last fall.

Cool mtb trail through some wetlands.

A "pothole" formed by glacial meltwater

Rocks and root wells on the Bruce side trail (blue flashes)

Hilton Falls itself, with some very icy banks.

Sunday was a friend's "group run" on the Bruce Trail through Hockley Valley. I spent the entire day alone except when I had to catch up to & pass the slowest group of 3 runners who passed me when I blew a turn & climbed a huge freakin' muddy hill for no reason, and the 25k (was supposed to be 23k but navigation was...interesting...at times) took me almost 4.5hrs. About 3,500ft of elevation gain so I was mostly hiking - and occasionally crawling - up hills, plus the quagmire of mud and some treacherous ice meant I could barely run even on most downhill & flat sections.

It was pretty, though..

Ice or mud - take your pick.

This wasn't the worst of it, but gives you an idea. Apparently almost everyone fell at least once, including me - foot went out from under me on a downhill and I splatted on my butt.

Freezing rain overnight meant all the bridges and steps were coated with ice.

Including all the stiles, which took some careful crossing.

Emerging at the top of a ridge into thick fog that persisted all day, though we only had about 45mins of rain.

Fairly sure this is the hill on the Hockley Heights side trail that I climbed for no reason. Said trail does not believe in switchbacks - you just go straight feckin' up.

"Death to the right"

The section on the South side of Hockley Road showed real signs of spring, though!

And the Nottawasaga River flows through the area with pretty little step falls.

There were also a few short dirt road sections, some of which had really steep hills. My quads are totally trashed from running down them - I feel more beat up than after the Horror Hill 6-hour last fall where I ran almost twice as far! Now utterly freaking out about the fact my next race - in 4.5 weeks - is a 50k at a ski hill that has approximately 8,000ft of elevation. It's just a training race for the 100k, but it's going to mess me up pretty badly.

This week's goals:
run x 5
bike x 1
swim x 1
core/strength x 4
foam roll x 1

Managed a lunch run yesterday but didn't go out for a second run last night - my ankle took a bit of a beating on Sunday and my legs are still sore, plus I'd planned to take a bit of a recovery week anyway. Hope to be back up to speed by the weekend..

Quote | Reply
Thanks and congratulations to you, tigerchik. Your race sounds fun with good quirky prizes for a great cause -- hooray for STEM! I also like "fit enough to be an astronaut" as your pace goal :D Prizes at local races crack me up -- this weekend I got a gift certificate to In-N-Out and some candy (ha!)

Way to go Tri3! Love seeing the womens rocking their races.

SDCali, I'll keep an eye out for strangers from the internet and I hope your allergies improve.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply