Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? July 6 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 6 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week was great! Rode 5 days in a row for 220km total (considering I'd been averaging maybe 30k a week, this is good!). Spent two days camping out with a friend in super hot temps (high 30s) but it was nice to be out of the city (although I cut the underside of my toes pretty good on some rough terrain). Then made it back for the Women's Wold Cup Final - and a sh*tload of SMOKE - there are over 100 forest fires burning in BC right now and a few are close enough that the prevailing winds have triggered air quality alerts for inhalable particles - exactly what I don't need. :-( So much haze downtown and even inside the stadium. I could feel it just walking from the train home... so... almost all my plans for this week are now shot. Can't run or ride in this smoke, and can't swim until my foot heals up a bit. BAH!

So this week:
- hope the wind clears the smoke out (maybe by Wed if we are lucky) so I can ride at least once this week, maybe on the weekend too....
- do some work on the house to keep me sane I guess...
- oh and hope I get a chance to try out my new toys:

I'll be using these bad boys at lunchtimes during the work week (lots of flat and low-traffic areas nearby). BOOYEAH! :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing better! The burn on my neck is healing up and I managed 3 bike rides and 4 runs (including a 10 miler - woohoo).

The plans for this week are: run x 5, bike x 4 (OH and I have a long outdoor ride planned for Saturday) and hopefully swim x 2.

How is everyone else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals for this week: swim 2-3x, ride at least 3x, take a day off from running.

I only rode once, but I made my other two goals. Had planned a swim T but pool was closed.

M: 10.3 mi run
T: 9.5 mi run
W: 9.5 mi run
T: 5225 yd swim
F: 10.3 mi run + 2000 yd swim
S: 35 mi bike
S: 7 mi run + ~2 mi OW swim

totals a bit over 10k swim, 35 mi bike, 46.6 mi run

Goals this week: ride 5x (one done, short but I got on the bike... I do like it...), swim at least twice, take a day off from running

I am working at a summer camp this month; first day was today. It's a day camp and I'm there 8:15 - 3. I'm with groups doing arts and crafts / sports and games / theater etc in the morning, and am waterfront director in the afternoon. Awesomest summer job ever :D

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Jul 6, 15 13:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Swim x 4: win
Bike x 4: win
Core/strength x 3: win

Also ran 3 times - the thing with my foot was resolved with aggressive foam rolling of my calf muscles. Turns out some super tight peroneals were the problem. Hamstrings still aren't great, so not running consecutive days yet.

I did, however, spend 45mins in a BOUNCY CASTLE on Saturday evening. My friend's wife got a WagJag deal and rented it for him for his 43rd birthday, because our friends are freakin' awesome. I was a giggly, sweaty mess by the time the fellow from the rental company came to take it away and my quads were feeling it the following day, but I actually managed to bounce butt-to-feet a couple of times and even nailed the golden trifecta of bouncy castleness: knees to butt to feet.

This week's goals:
Swim x 4
Bike x 3
Run x 3
Core/strength x 2
Mobility/stretch x 2

Have a tri on Saturday - one of those a-little-longer-than-sprint distance (750m-30k-7.5k) races. I've done a load of bike training while I've been run-damaged, so I'm hoping that will go ok. One of these years I hope to actually be properly fit for this race.

So much stoke right now for our paddling trip in under 2 weeks - we do get a brand new (to us: it was previously a rental) kevlar canoe to fart around Georgian Bay, and have already booked a weekend paddling trip for Thanksgiving now that we have a 42lb boat to portage instead of an 80+lb fibreglass & aluminum monstrosity! I have so many plans for future backcountry canoe trips this canoe will make possible (Algonquin! Massassauga! Kawartha Highlands! RAWR!), and am also starting to plot out our motorcycle tour (1st week of August) to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Andy, those look like way too much fun - enjoy!

Quote | Reply
Maiden voyage update: finally the smoke has eased off enough to try anything outside and so today after work I put them on and decided to try the parking lot and roads around here. HOLY COW these things are fast, and super tippy on the outer edge if you have little speed. So I immediately fell - tipped over on the outside edge - when I started from the trunk of the car - because I had zero speed. Aiyiyi, a whole new learning curve. I managed 30min today and I can feel the camber in the road - my right hip definitely works/pushes further as it's lower on the road. Great for practicing straightaways, which are a big problem of mine. I was too freaked to try crossovers today, probably will the next time out!

Oh and NO INJURIES! :-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 6 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming you have wrist guards? They've saved me more than once.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 6 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, I was wearing full mtb gloves, but remember... as part of speed skating on the ice, you learn to NEVER put your hands out/down when falling. It is the same for cycling, really. It's like Rule #1 (ok Rule #2 behind "don't fall" :-))

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 6 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are brave. I agree at high speed that "hands out = broken collarbones", but full on body road rash seems much less appealing than scraping some plastic on the ground.

Moral of the story - just don't fall. :P
Quote Reply