Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How soon can I start training after Baby?
Quote | Reply
My first baby is due in a couple weeks, and I'm trying to put a (very) tentative training plan in place for the next four months. I'm not going to do anything serious, but how soon can I start to work out? Beyond walking that is...I've heard that many women start to run within a week, but what about swimming? And how on earth is my body going to feel, say, two weeks afterwords? I'd like to run or swim once a day (ideally twice but not counting on it) and maybe do some weightlifting at home, but I'm not sure if it's wise to push through the weird feelings and pain that I'll probably be in. This is sure going to be different from anything I've ever experienced. What advice can you all give me?
Quote Reply
Re: How soon can I start training after Baby? [mrs.runimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your baby, and kudos for planning to be an active mom! To answer your question, it depends on so many factors once your little one arrives. I also heard about moms who ran until delivery, then started right back up a few days later (though I wonder if they can do jumping jacks without peeing ;) It also depends on baby, and whether they are content and good sleepers, or if they need to be held or are colicky, further reducing already limited sleep. That said, I put a lot of pressure on myself to start right back into training, but had a number of delivery and postpartum complications, the peri bottle was my best friend for 6 weeks. Then ran into breastfeeding problems, limited supply, and pumped following every feed, making workouts extremely tough to schedule. I'm not intending to go into unnecessary details, but I know some moms are hesitant to tell the not-fun parts - you don't want to share bad news, or imply that there could be issues when there might not be. I only share this because of the stress I put on myself to train when it wasn't possible in my case. Listen to your body, and rest when you need it.

Other than walking, I basically started training and jogging again at 3 months, the only riding was a 45min spin class twice a week at the gym with a daycare. I did a half IM at 7 months (was still on maternity leave), but would probably change that to an Olympic with some run races if I were to do it again under the same circumstances - again, some women may be able to do an IM, while a 5km will be success for others.

I have no training qualifications, but 'weightlifting' sounds intense postpartum with all the hormonal changes. Do you have a coach? How about resistance bands?

As for swimming, I wish someone had been clearer with me about locchia/bleeding and stitches. I swam until 41 weeks, but wasn't able to get back into the pool until 2 months or so postpartum. I thought I'd be back in after a week or two.

Again - the above is not intended to come across as negative, far from it. I had trained with a lot of amazing moms who were able to jump back into training (partly causing my distress at not being able to do the same). But give yourself enough time to heal, don't stress about achieving a set training plan at the beginning - these little ones have a habit of changing the plans anyways!
Quote Reply
Re: How soon can I start training after Baby? [AK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AK - personal question for you on the half IM about 7 months later.... did you breast feed, if so, how did you manage the long workouts with that.

I'm thinking about a fall marathon, 2012 (almost a year after delivering) but that is a big concern with summer training - breastfeeding and long runs. A goal to get me back into shape, I don't plan on breaking any PRs.
Quote Reply
Re: How soon can I start training after Baby? [AK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on what AK said

I started at 6 weeks but felt like I was ready at 1 week. I changed my mind when the ob (a runner) told me I would risk prolapsing my uterus if I did not allow for proper healing time. While I started at 6 weeks, I had to tone it down a lot at 8 weeks because the demands of my baby were greater than some. Mine latched on for 70 minutes on average, generally between 65 and 75, but sometimes going for 90 min. He was not sleeping while latched on either. Then I'd have about 20-40 min to sleep before feeding again. It was just too much for me to try to exercise on top of trying to hydrate, eat, and sleep enough. At four months though, he was sleeping 8-10 hours at night so I'd fit my morning workout in around 3-5 am and then catch a morning nap with him.

Listen to your body. There's no way to predict how things will be-- my 10k time was 37:10 before pregnancy and nowhere near that now, but I'm happily trying to find a balance. Best wishes for a smooth delivery and recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Every womans postpartum healing is different - even pregnancy to pregnancy. With my first, even 3 months out the thought of running made my lady bits ache. I could walk and hike easy terrain, but running was out of the question because my pubic bone felt like it was shattered (this was from right after birth, not just running) and the bouncing while running was a killer (it wasn't shattered, but that's the best way to describe it). Finally could run easy about 4 months. My second is just 10 weeks old and I felt great 10 days after... But even dancing with my older son (he just jumps around when dancing), I knew running was out of the question for a while because of my guts did not feel like they were back where they once were. I've been hiking for a couple of weeks (short hikes), and I went for my first jog yesterday and felt great!

Someone mentioned locchia - It's quite possible you'll be bleeding for close to 6 weeks and there is a no tampon rule after birth, so no swimming until that has stopped completely (I don't know about C-sections and tampon use post delivery... maybe those rules are different...).

Speaking of c-sections, I don't have any experience, but with major abdominal surgery, you may be looking at a lot longer recovery time and time off your feet.

Sleep deprivation can be a killer, even with help, breastfeeding or not. I hope you have a mellow little one who sleeps a lot!

Listen to your doctor first and foremost, and listen to your body. You may feel great, but you may also cause damage if you do something too soon. I think most docs say 6 weeks before you do anything other than walking. Your doc may or may not have that rule, but it's a good one to head. Just because you feel great doesn't mean everything is back in place.

Congrats on the impending arrival - it's a great ride!! Here's wishing you a speedy recovery and a smooth delivery!!

As i'm reading this, I sound like a downer - but there are some things I wish Ihad known before my first was born - the books don't cover these things so much... or how intense some of the post partum stuff can be.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a c-section 7 weeks ago. From a physical perspective, I now feel mostly ready to start training again. Locchia is finally gone (you still have it with a c-section; I had it for a good 6 weeks). My insides feel healed. I have developed a bit of "mommy thumb" or tendonitis in my left wrist so I'm not sure how that would affect swimming or even aero position.

In the week after giving birth, I felt like I had been hit by a mack truck. It got better in the next couple of weeks.

At 7 weeks postpartum, I'm just not sleeping enough yet to really work out -- I get 3 hours max at a time.

My plan is to set my trainer up and ride in the 20-30 minute spurts I get when my baby decides to nap during the day. Unfortunately, he don't give me much more of a break than that. I've just started to have his grandparents look after him more often so I'm hoping to get a workout in during the day with their help. DH will be on baby duty on the weekends when I want to get out for a ride or swim.

I don't think I could have swam for a couple of weeks after the c-section. They cut through your stomach muscles -- it's major surgery. I didn't really feel healed until quite recently.

Breastfeeding is another challenge as I get really uncomfortable every 3 hours. I would have to run RIGHT after nursing or pumping. Any run longer than an hour right after just wouldn't be a pretty sight.

On the plus side, after putting on 40lbs during my pregnancy, I'm down to just 10lbs left of baby weight with just walking with the stroller for the past couple of weeks. When I finally get back to working out/training on a regular basis, I'm not worried about getting back to my pre-pregnancy weight.

It's hard to make plans for after baby arrives. Be flexible and take it easy on yourself. You just never know how you will feel and we are all different.

Some operating room hilarity while having the c-section:
Dr. G: "Do you work out?"
Me: "Yeah, I've been keeping active while pregnant and raced triathlon pre-baby."
Dr. G: "Wow, you have really big ab muscles" ( as she cuts through them)
Me: "Thanks!"
Quote Reply
Re: How soon can I start training after Baby? [i-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I was still breastfeeding at 7 months (breastfed until about 10 months when my supply ran out, my daughter started solids just before 6 months). So when it came to training, walk/jogs started at 3 months with 20 min 3x per week with a couple of spin classes and lots of additional walking. Looking back at my training log, worked up to 40 minute jogs at 5 months, with some 60-90 minutes runs subsequently. Did one 2hr run before the race. Only did 4x 60 min swims in the month before the race. Probably more detail than you're looking for, but gives a general idea of training duration vs baby routine, allowed me to finish ok and still walk the next day. Since most of my training was 1hr or less, it fit between feeds as she got older. I didnt have long duration, but was consistent. Though she had a good 3-4hr feed schedule and regular morning/afternoon nap, nap time start would vary by 2hrs. Once she started solids, her nap times fell within 1hr every day and scheduling training was easier. I would feed, pump, then run.

But DO get yourself a maximum support bra - I recall a thread about a year ago on the topic. I bought the Enell and then paid to have the straps altered. Not the most comfortable, but the tata's stayed put. I live in a dry, cooler climate so sweating wasn't a huge issue. Just be careful for irritation or mastitis if you are doing long runs where it is hot and humid. One girlfriend had a problem with mastitis if she didn't shower right away after a long run. I fortunately didn't run into any of those issues.

In general, most of my friends had some form of baby routine by 6 months - so don't sweat it too early. That would still leave 4-6 months for training the marathon distance with a 'schedule', not including earlier volume. If you're baby is starting solids around then, you may get longer stretches to fit in longer runs. I'm not an expert by any means, but think it is awesome to see other moms out and active. Good luck - let us know how the training goes!

Astrid.
Quote Reply
Re: How soon can I start training after Baby? [SynchSkater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"In the week after giving birth, I felt like I had been hit by a mack truck."

x10! I was going to write the exact same thing. I ran into complications about 2 weeks postpartum, so it came as a big surprise. As pp's mentioned, it may be 6 weeks recovery, c-section or vaginal delivery. As far as I know, no tampons for either kind of delivery for up to 6 weeks. Frankly, I never thought I would sit on a bike again for the first few months. As a silver lining, the limited activity forced me to focus on nutrition, my nemesis.

As pp's and I mentioned, this is not to be negative at all. It may go very smoothly, but I think we set our expectations very high. I shed a lot of tears between the breastfeeding problems and limited training, and only hope to spare someone the same. It may be more important from a training perspective to get a 30 minute nap compared to a 30 minute run. A few weeks or months of reduced activity isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things.

Listen to your body and your Dr's advice, and let us know how it goes! Go mommy go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically, I'd agree with what the other ladies said. I ended up having complications with my pelvic floor which made running out of the question until I went through PT. It was pretty easy for me to assess because I pee'd all over myself if I tried to run. So I couldn't run at all for several months, and it's still not 100% better (I'll be getting surgery after this pregnancy).

Unfortunately I have several friends who jumped back into running too early because they felt fine. Then, later -- six months or a year or more -- they ended up with issues that looking back were caused by not waiting for their body to heal. For all of them, the recovery is now very long because basically they did a bunch of damage to their bodies and/or just made their bodies make adjustments that put themselves out of alignment, etc.

If possible, you may want to get an assessment from a PT or someone else who can really tell you if you're ready. I think most OBs will just say 6 weeks, you're OK. It was when I went for PT for my pelvic floor that they also helped me to correct the space between my abs muscles (forget what that's called) but it's also problem that can cause more problems later.

I don't mean to be a downer either. And I know several women who were back at it very quickly and have not suffered any long term problems. I hope that is you!

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sure I am bias - but I would talk to a physical therapist who specializes in women's health. Your OB should be able to refer you. This person can evaluate you prior to delivery as well as post-partum. As the Mom's have replied it is so individual and what I have seen in practice is many women want to get back soon, but don't see the complications until later. Congrats on being healthy and good luck with your new joy.

Re: How soon can I start training after Baby? [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all so much! I am definitely taking this advice to heart. I'm just gonna enjoy by sweet baby and get back to training when my body tells me it's okay. Funny 'cause in training I always ignore my body and push through everything; maybe this will re-define my training philosophy so I"m not so burnt out and always battling injury!
Quote Reply
Re: How soon can I start training after Baby? [SynchSkater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Breastfeeding is another challenge as I get really uncomfortable every 3 hours. I would have to run RIGHT after nursing or pumping. Any run longer than an hour right after just wouldn't be a pretty sight. "

I TOTALLY forgot about this since I switched my baby to formula at 4 months. I would say this really was the most challenging thing about trying to get some training in while baby was sleeping (when you're done baby is ready for next feeding and you want to sleep).

I made the mistake of thinking that the body returns to normal self post-delivery (aside from the weight that is and swollen abdomen). I had bought some nursing bras right before delivering, but even those bigger sizes wound up being too small. I ended up having to wear a couple of layers of regular sports bras because my almost A cups went to very full D cups. It was really hard for me to get used to the extra mass and then it was just plain uncomfortable trying to keep them in place while not constricting them and ending up with plugged ducts or mastitis. You'll figure it out though. I am glad I switched my baby to the bottle however because he was such a slow eater and only in the 20% percentile for weight. I like not having to worry about leaking, plugged ducts from constriction, mastitis, refraining from eating certain foods, and having enough of a supply. I especially like the prospect that I can be pregnant with my next one soon-- this one is 6.5 months old! The first 4-6 weeks will be difficult, but after that, it will so much better. Do what's best for you and baby. The little smiles will make it all worthwhile!
Quote Reply