Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How many hours per week
Quote | Reply
Hello,

If you train for full Ironmans how many hours do you typically train per week (just the swim/bike/run) during the build and peak phases? Do you work full-time?

I believe 18-20 hours per week for me right before my stress fracture in June might have been too much with a full time job. Just trying to get a handle on what is a good typical volume for serious female age-groupers going for a full Ironman. I know it will be different with everyone.

Thanks in advance!

Joyce

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Herding Cats: Aug 31, 15 8:50
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours per week [Herding Cats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would do a search on the main forum - look for Paul devanish's postings on training for an ironman. He is a pretty serious competitor in the male 50-54 (I believe) and has KQ'd a whole bunch of times.

He started a thread in the past few months where he basically said - be consistent year round with aerobic activity - maybe 8-10 hours/wk and then ramp up volume in the 12-16 weeks before the event. My takeaway in reading that thread is that there is no need to train at 18-20 hrs/wk year round unless you are a pro and can devote serious time to recovery. For someone who is working full time, I think this is a recipe for disaster.

If I have time tonight, I will look for the thread and post a link.
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours per week [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
themadcyclist wrote:
I would do a search on the main forum - look for Paul devanish's postings on training for an ironman. He is a pretty serious competitor in the male 50-54 (I believe) and has KQ'd a whole bunch of times.

He started a thread in the past few months where he basically said - be consistent year round with aerobic activity - maybe 8-10 hours/wk and then ramp up volume in the 12-16 weeks before the event. My takeaway in reading that thread is that there is no need to train at 18-20 hrs/wk year round unless you are a pro and can devote serious time to recovery. For someone who is working full time, I think this is a recipe for disaster.

If I have time tonight, I will look for the thread and post a link.

Thank you for the post. I'm starting to realize that less is more even in the sport of triathlon. And I know I was doing too much. When I signed up with QT2 originally, I really thought I could handle 20 hours per week. But now I know it's too much with a full time job. With my husband training with me, there is no one at home doing the cooking and cleaning........ and that has to get done too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this thread had some great ideas for time savers while training!
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5543239;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Quote Reply
Re: How many hours per week [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
determination wrote:
this thread had some great ideas for time savers while training!
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5543239;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Thanks that's a great post! :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's a lot of hours (not including your core, strength and Bikram). I might have 2 each 20 hour weeks 5-6 weeks out from IM but the idea is to go into it NOT tired or overtrained. Or, incur an overuse injury

Does you husband coach you right now?

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours per week [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
He is a pretty serious competitor in the male 50-54 (I believe) and has KQ'd a whole bunch of times.

dev has indeed QK'ed, and gone to Kona, a bunch.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours per week [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honey wrote:
Yeah that's a lot of hours (not including your core, strength and Bikram). I might have 2 each 20 hour weeks 5-6 weeks out from IM but the idea is to go into it NOT tired or overtrained. Or, incur an overuse injury

Does you husband coach you right now?

No, we both were on the mission plan with QT2. When we filled out the questionnaire we said we could do up to 20-25 hours for the peak. And if I hadn't gotten my SF, I would have had one 25 and one 26 hour week. Now I realize I asked for more then my body could handle. Mentally I love training all the time. I relish long crazy days on the bike and then look forward to a run afterward. I love to come home and pass out on the sofa after a long day of training :-) But things are going to be changing big-time for this ol gal!

I really and truly love all three sports. If my body was injury proof, I'd spend all day training. I'm tired of my corporate job, I don't fit in with "normal" people, I am the happiest running on a quiet country dirt road, biking up a mountain or swimming across the Indian Brook Rez at 6am. So the more hours the better I thought.....wrong!

Last edited by: Herding Cats: Sep 1, 15 7:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20-25 hours is a lot when you have a job and are an "older" athlete. I think what many people miss is the other 2-4 hours you need a week "recovering" (foam rolling, self massage, mobility, professional body work, etc). An awesome, high volume, impressive training log doesn't necessarily translate to great racing and staying healthy. Good luck with your search; LMK if you need any information re: coach search or anything else :) Oh, and if you haven't already; read Matt Dixon's book "The Well-Built Triathlete".

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours per week [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honey wrote:
20-25 hours is a lot when you have a job and are an "older" athlete. I think what many people miss is the other 2-4 hours you need a week "recovering" (foam rolling, self massage, mobility, professional body work, etc). An awesome, high volume, impressive training log doesn't necessarily translate to great racing and staying healthy. Good luck with your search; LMK if you need any information re: coach search or anything else :) Oh, and if you haven't already; read Matt Dixon's book "The Well-Built Triathlete".

Thanks Leslie! Having enough time to do proper recovery is really crucial. I was better about all that when training for marathons. I was methodical about stretching (dynamic and static), running drills, foam rolling, regular massage work, regular chiro adjustments (mine is now retired and was the best for runners). I also only ran 5 days a week always giving myself Monday as a recovery day and Saturday as a mellow bike day. I'll check out that book you recommend. I just got a couple more books from Don and Melanie Fink.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The key is to balance all stress in life. Working a full time job and training 18-20 hours is insanely stressful. The key is to modify stress and train with quality. Typically, anything in the 12-15 hours a week for a full time athlete at peaks weeks is solid.

Angela Naeth
http://www.angelanaeth.com
http://www.iracelikeagirl.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do about 12-15 hours normally. I peaked at 20 hours for the 8 weeks before IM and my longest week was 25 hours when I had a 3 day "camp" prescribed about 6 weeks out. The thing that keeps me from signing up for another IM?- the training volume. I already have a full time job. Don't have time for another part time one!
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours per week [afdrmom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have worked with a few coaches; and seems like you need to build to about 2 weeks of 18-20 hrs before tapering to feel prepared to do a full. But that's only those two weeks, so the majority of your prep will be below that ...
Quote Reply