Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How many calories should I eat?
Quote | Reply
I am 6'1" and weight 180-181. I am trying to get down in the low 170s but having a hard time doing it. I eat a pretty clean diet. I usually eat between 3000-3200 calories per day. I sually over estimate my calories just in case so I know this is pretty accurate. I train around 15-16 hrs cardio and 2 hrs resitance/weight training. I have been pretty much suck at 180-181 since last summer. Could stress really be the limiting factor? I don't think stress will go away anytime soon so any other thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: How many calories should I eat? [Mrdavidalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're maintaining at 3000-3200 calories a day, cut 250-500 a day to lose a half to full pound a week, respectively.
You can always post a few days' worth of meals here for us to tear apart.
You might also look at macronutrient percentages. Some people have success with lower CHO, higher fat/protein (JenSW might be able to give you some numbers... the 65% CHO thing that nutrition books recommend tends to be too high for some people).
You can cut out sugar.
More sleep = helpful. It lowers cortisol / stress hormones, and if you're sleeping, you're not eating.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC gives good advice as always, and you seem to exercise quite a bit (15-16 hours is really good). However, after reading Fitzgerald's book Racing Weight, and in my own experience, knocking of those remaining few lbs is just hella tough, and only happens if I really calorie restrict, which usually ends up causing an injury or general lethargy/bad racing performance, OR if I up the hours. Especially running. Going from 8 hrs to 12 hrs a week of running, while eating clean, balanced and nutritiously is what I need to get to get from in shape weight to racing weight. (i only really run, not really a triathlete anymore). But can also cause an injury if I'm not careful. For you that might mean getting in a few longer bike or run sessions or an extra recovery session to up your hours, if you can even afford to do so, time-wise.

Also, another thing to examine is, how do you do those 15-16 hrs of cardio? intensity sessions or all slower endurance pace? Maybe mix up your normal routine a bit? (e.g. mix up track, speed, tempo, intervals, hills, sprints, etc?)

I don't know. if you unlock the secret to stagnant weight loss, without sacrificing performance, let us know. I'd really like to know!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another possibility: You're healthy, strong and fit by the sound of it- just as you are.
Perhaps this is where your body wants to be (despite you and others who say that it "should" be somewhere else).
There are all sorts of measures you could take which would guarantee weight loss.....temporarily until reality and physiology set back in.

Perhaps a shift of focus away from weight to goals more realistic, appropriate and attainable concurrent with the recognition that you're - again- healthy , strong and fit just as you are.
Quote Reply